How has your experience been with Wonder Trade?

• 95 results
Posted by Moonshadow101 (573 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: How has your experience been with Wonder Trade? (250 votes)

I've gotten some interesting pokemon, it's pretty cool. 53%
I've gotten nothing but level 3 Weedles, fuck this feature. 16%
I haven't used it. 31%

For the uninitiated, Wonder Trade is a new online feature that lets you select a pokemon to trade, and then randomly hooks you up with someone else and has you trade with them. It's an interesting way of getting rid of pokemon without just releasing/deleting them.

Internet opinion on Wonder Trade seems really mixed, so I thought I'd try to get some numbers. Personally, my very first trade got me a Kadabra (which instantly became an Allakazam) so my introduction to the feature was pretty excellent. I also got a Croagunk, a pokemon I'm very fond of but never found in the wild, and a french Haunter, who became a french Gengar.

Of course, intermixed in all that were tons of caterpies and bidoofs.

I recently threw a bunch of level 1 squirtles and tyranitaurs into Wonder Trade, and it's a good feeling. It's like being some kind of weird secret Santa to random strangers, especially when they message back a thanks.

#51 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Just traded a lvl14 Farfetch'd for a lvl1 Spearow with awful IV's and a shitty nature.

Pokémon gambling seems dangerous!

edit: Traded the spearow back and got a Pikachu in return. This is pretty fun. Too bad I can't read their names.

edit2: Just traded the same pokemon back and forth with the same guy. So dumb.

#52 Edited by lord_canti (1519 posts) -

this is the best new feature i hatched a load of axew and instead of releasing the ones i didnt want i sent them on wonder trade and got some good stuff back, a fennekin 2 charmanders a gabite a dugtrio to name a few

#53 Edited by metalsnakezero (2341 posts) -

Well I got a Charmander and Squirtle. Good job Wonder trade.

#54 Edited by Twiggymc (3 posts) -

I got a japanese Chespin, an adamant nature Eevee, and a Ralts (Gardevoir is my fav Pokemon) so far ive been really happy with it, ive easily spent 5+ hours just trading

#55 Posted by NeVeRMoRe666 (268 posts) -

@shinboy630: I would really love an Abra if you have any to spare. I've spent a few hours already trying to look for it after it teleported away. I want to use it as one of my mains. I have no idea how I'll ever find one with a modest nature.

#56 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Got a Jolteon from someone, but mostly just been receiving Luvdiscs and Zigzag/Bidoofs.

Great idea, bad community. Or just bad luck.

#57 Posted by AlisterCat (5712 posts) -

I've used it to spread pokerus around the world.

#58 Posted by Capum15 (4967 posts) -

Japanese Abra, Panpour. A level 11 Sentret named yoloswaggins.

Pretty great.

#59 Posted by LiquidPrince (16124 posts) -

I'm afraid to give up anything good, lest I get a Caterpie in return... And I don't wanna be the dick giving out Caterpie's just to test it out, so I haven't tried it.

#60 Posted by Kain55 (135 posts) -

I got a Japanese Pikachu out of it before I had even made it to Santalune. Pikachu is easy to get but his name being written in Japanese characters amuses me to no end.

#61 Posted by Flappy (2332 posts) -

@shinboy630: I would really love an Abra if you have any to spare. I've spent a few hours already trying to look for it after it teleported away. I want to use it as one of my mains. I have no idea how I'll ever find one with a modest nature.

If you want, I can try hooking you up with a Modest Abra. Just shoot me a PM or somethin'.

#62 Edited by Capum15 (4967 posts) -

I was just trading back pokemon I got for a while just to see what happened. Found a few seemingly good ones, higher levels at least, that I sent back.

Then I got a level 15 Absol, my favorite Pokemon.

So...yeah. Shoved him in a box. Reeeeaaally want a Ditto now so I can breed and then rename an Absol.

#63 Posted by WJist (314 posts) -

I think Wonder Trade is kind of a great idea with the limited amount of boxes you get. It has forced me to collect extras and trade pokes I wouldn't normally use (usually no evolution ones). So far, have gotten a random Bulbasaur, a Gible, and a bunch of Flabebes and Panchems. The capsule toy nature of not knowing what you get until you do it is exciting.

#64 Posted by Brent (30 posts) -

Generally the feature seems pretty lame UNLESS you trade late at night when there's a lot of Japanese players online. For some reason I always get way better pokemon out of Wonder Trade when doing it at night.

#65 Posted by Encephalon (1319 posts) -

Just got a sweet Bulbasaur in exchange for my Pancham, so it's pretty great.

#66 Posted by razzdrazz (66 posts) -

Got a Ditto early on, so that's rad. I was trading out Luvdiscs for 15 minutes until I got it, though.

#67 Posted by alanm26v5 (462 posts) -

I hadn't really messed with it until today. I caught and traded a Slowpoke to try it out, and got a Dunsparce. I traded that back in and got a Pikachu. Traded Pikachu for and got Bulbasaur. I put him on the GTS and got a Ditto, which is what I hoped for since I can't catch one yet, and it's a different trainer and region for breeding, which I assume is still beneficial. At some point I'll breed my starters and trade them for the ones I don't have on here most likely so they're in English and I get to help someone out hopefully.

#68 Posted by Jawshua (268 posts) -

Well I haven't used this yet, but I traded for a squirtle on GTS and got one named Dikkface.

#69 Edited by stalefishies (344 posts) -

Wonder trade is by far my current favourite thing about the new games. So far I've got a Stunfisk a few levels higher than any of my party, the usual Japanese Pikachu, a level 1 breeding reject Litwick, a Japanese Pachirisu, a Japanese Ralts, and I've just traded a Vivillon for a Marill, and then a Azumarill for another Marill. It's a totally weird, entirely inconsequential, wonderful thing.

Also, doing a Nuzlocke run but Wonder Trading everything you get sounds like it could be a really fun playthrough.

#70 Posted by ObsideonDarman (664 posts) -

Do Wonder Traded Pokémon get boosted experience like normally traded ones?

#71 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -
@forderz said:

I got a Meowstic with a rock helmet for a lvl 1 Eevee with shitty IV's.

Solid.

What are "IV's"? Initial Values?

#72 Edited by Capum15 (4967 posts) -

@insouciant: Close, Individual Values.

Edit: Well the Internet ate the rest of my post. Sigh.

Anyway, I got a Scyther in Wonder Trade that I GTS'd for a Ditto. Then I bred my two starters and used them to get the others, so now I have all 6. I also bred the special Torchic because you can't rename it, along with an Absol, Gastly (now Haunter), Dratini, Lapras, and a Ralts. I tend to prefer non-traded Pokemon, partly because of sentimental reasons. Though it makes getting a Gengar (or Alakazam if I ever find a Kadabra) annoying unless I can find someone to trade it to and back with.

#73 Posted by Chennie (5 posts) -

I like to think that when I Wonder Trade good things in return for something (most likely) not very useful, that person will do the same one day.

So once everyone who owns the game have gotten to a part where they can be generous, Wonder Trade will be filled with awesome stuff.

#74 Posted by perfectlizardwizard (112 posts) -

It's definitely mired in a shit ton of Scatterbug, Pidgey, etc but there are some gems if you have the patience to trade (which I do when I'm checking IV's when I breed). Highlight was a foreign Lapras and a Zoarark but I haven't gotten anything much better -- which is to be expected. I've just been breeding a shit ton of really good Ghastly and trying to get them out there while I continue the hunt for the shiny. Also, Americans are the stingiest with their offers, from experience. Pretty funny lol.

#75 Posted by Petiew (1355 posts) -

@capum15: There used to be a GTS glitch that let you evolve pokemon as if they'd been traded. You'd deposit the pokemon that you wanted to evolve in the GTS (Making some ridiculous or impossible offer so no one took it) and then you'd need to search for and complete another trade on the GTS. Once you took back your deposited pokemon it would evolve.

I don't know if they fixed this from BW2 onwards though.

#76 Posted by gike987 (1771 posts) -

Just got a Bulbasaur for a ralts I didn't want. So I finally got some use out of this feature. I should probably put up a good pokemon some time.

#77 Posted by Capum15 (4967 posts) -

@petiew: Well that sounds like it was highly useful. Probably fixed though. I'm fine with my Haunter (one of two guys I can use in those rare sky battles), but an Alakazam would be cool.

#78 Edited by Encephalon (1319 posts) -

Put up two Fennekins to clear out all the bad karma I racked up offloading shitty Pokemon. Feel like I'm right with the universe again.

#79 Posted by Capum15 (4967 posts) -

@encephalon: Heh, yeah I've finally made good on my personal promise after I dumped three or four meh Pokemon in there by dumping 4 Froakie in there.

#80 Edited by ba0wey (1 posts) -

I seriously cringe a little every time I see myself trading with a player from Japan. Not that I have anything against them but seriously, every bad trade I ever got was from a user there. And here I am infecting all of my level 30+ catches with Pokerus just to spread the love and I get back level 4 Bunnelby in return. Takes away from the experience so much that I ended up not giving a crap any more and just trading back those Pokemon I got right away. It's funny and irritating because many times I would see a user from Europe or US be my trade and then when I actually receive the Pokemon from them, it ends up being another low level Pokemon from Japan. They're probably doing the same thing I'm doing -_-.. Ugh, some people are so inconsiderate, it feels just like spamming!

#81 Posted by Arcticfreeze (2 posts) -

I think it has the possibility to be awesome, but there are so many ^*(@&)%W^*s out there so i mostly only get crap pokemon. i wish there was a way so that people who give good pokemon can choose if they want to get good pokemon in return, or a random pokemon. that way they can get a good pokemon without the worry, or take a chance and possibly brighten up some young trainers day.

#82 Posted by Arcticfreeze (2 posts) -

just image an amazing player playing a nuzlocke, if he loses any pokemon and puts it on wonder trade^_^

#83 Posted by KaizoChrono (6 posts) -

Surprisingly, I would say I've gotten some pretty good pokemon out of wonder trade. I traded a ton of Gibles and ended up getting a Volcarona.

#84 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

or take a chance and possibly brighten up some young trainers day.

That is the main reason I use it. By the time you get into the post game with the safari you can trade for anything you want in the GTS.

#85 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -
@ba0wey said:

I seriously cringe a little every time I see myself trading with a player from Japan. Not that I have anything against them but seriously, every bad trade I ever got was from a user there. And here I am infecting all of my level 30+ catches with Pokerus just to spread the love and I get back level 4 Bunnelby in return. Takes away from the experience so much that I ended up not giving a crap any more and just trading back those Pokemon I got right away. It's funny and irritating because many times I would see a user from Europe or US be my trade and then when I actually receive the Pokemon from them, it ends up being another low level Pokemon from Japan. They're probably doing the same thing I'm doing -_-.. Ugh, some people are so inconsiderate, it feels just like spamming!

If it is poop just release it. Otherwise you are part of the problem.

#86 Posted by CoinMatze (475 posts) -

I've been thinking about throwing that extra Yveltal I have on there just to fuck with someone's head. But half the people out there should already have one so I might just waste it instead of giving a Pokemon X player the BEST DAY OF HIS LIFE.

#87 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

I've been thinking about throwing that extra Yveltal I have on there just to fuck with someone's head. But half the people out there should already have one so I might just waste it instead of giving a Pokemon X player the BEST DAY OF HIS LIFE.

How did you get an extra Yveltal?

#88 Posted by CoinMatze (475 posts) -

@darthorange: i asked for it on the GTS. I didn't expect to seriously get one. For a protean froakie no less.

#89 Edited by Shortbreadtom (848 posts) -

I've gotten nothing but shit. I feel that the pokemon you get should be at least a similar level to the one you trade, because 3 times I've sent something out higher than level 20 and gotten level 4 pokemon from the starting area in return. Even if they just asked "is this trade OK?", but then I guess it removes the "wonder" and you'd just have people gaming the system and refusing everything. At the minute it just seems that there's no incentive for giving out anything good.

#90 Edited by blahitzmyles (6 posts) -

It is hit and miss. But it made my day yesterday when I sent out a Safari zone Charmander and got me a Timid Protean Froakie with 3 perfect IV's. Breeding time!!!

#91 Posted by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

I've been putting my not-quite-optimal breeding results up. If you get an Adamant Honedge with 3 perfect IVs named "moist wizard" or "chunky flaps" you probably got it from me.

#93 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

I've gotten a few good things like a Dieno from Japan and a level 1 Dratini with close to perfect IVs, but then there's the plethora of Goomys I've received. I typically try sending out egg only Pokemon or something that seems worth getting though, so even if I get a Bidoof, I don't feel as annoyed since I made the other person happy and/or upset that they sent me something shitty, ha ha.

#94 Edited by deadmoscow (265 posts) -

Well, that was nice! I've been trading my breeding rejects and I just got a Pokerus-infected Pikachu! I've got him incubating in my PC right now, when I've got time tomorrow I'll spread the virus around my dudes and hopefully spread the love a bit (my friend code is 5026-4571-4577, PM me if you add me)

#95 Posted by wackojackman (143 posts) -

I'm finding it pretty addictive. It's fun to just have it going whilst I am doing something else.
I like the fact you can get some level 1 pokemon meaning you can raise them how you like. For example I got an Eevee and have raised it into a level 66 Sylveon.

I have gotten a few interesting Pokemon... mainly starters, which I am mostly looking out for. Got a Bulbasaur, Charmander, Forakie, Fennekin and Chespin.

I actively make sure I don't circulate the crap I get from it though, makes for a better experience.

#96 Edited by JackSukeru (5950 posts) -

I send a little bit of everything out. Sometime something good, sometime something random with a dumb name attached to it. Never really expect to get anything worthwhile in return, but I've been surprised.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.