Is anyone else playing with EXP Share off?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

So I'm up to the second gym (10 hours or so of play, I must move slowly...) and my team has an average of lvl 25. I got the event Torchic which has evolved in Combusken... but it has steamed ahead to lvl 27 despite being my least used Pokemon. It's getting the bonus EXP because it's technically traded. Most trainers are around 10-15, people in the gym are 15-20 max... tonight I'll fight the gym leader, but I know it'll be a piece of piss.

I hate making games artificially hard. I know you can turn off the EXP share, but I have this weird compulsion where I play games based on what the defaults are. Like if a real-time strategy RPG doesn't pause in menus by default I'll usually play it that way. I know the EXP share is nothing new... but in Red/Blue it told you everyone's EXP making it too annoying to use and came late in the game, in other versions it was a held item and that the holding Pokemon had to be in the battle to make it work. The new one makes the game feel too easy.

I'm not judging anyone. I think if you like having a strong team, leave it on. I can certainly see the appeal. Even my seldom used bastards are strong enough I can rely on them. But if you want a classic Pokemon challenge I recommend turning it off... it feels weird at first, but I the extra challenge is worth it.

To balance the EXP share maybe they should have given it a draw back, like you get less money or less EXP overall... but I digress...

#2 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

I had to turn it off when I wanted to train a pokemon I hatched. It made it too difficult for him to catch up to the rest of my party. I've turned it back on since then. Personally I'm glad they gave us the EXP share in its current state, though I wish they had used this as an opportunity to increase the levels for some of the gym leader pokemon (or at least give them something approaching a full party). I don't want to feel like every trainer battle or random encounter is difficult, but steamrolling a boss isn't very fun (though this is a problem even without exp share).

#3 Posted by wemibelec90 (1612 posts) -

I haven't started my game yet, but I plan to have it on at all times (or only turning it off in cases like @hunter5024 mentioned above). Grinding to make all my Pokemon actually worth using? No thank you. I don't need more games artificially lengthening the time I have to spend with them to enjoy them.

#4 Posted by Zeik (2343 posts) -

Maybe on a subsequent playthrough.

#5 Edited by Mcfart (1599 posts) -

*pets the panda*

Also haven't played it, but I would leave it on. Exp share grinding was tedius (or I just ran with 2 pokemon, one holding exp share and forgot about the rest).

#6 Posted by DeadeyeMcCoy (253 posts) -

I kept it off until I had my main team completely EV trained (or Super Trained now, I guess.) I'm not sure if EV points carry over in the new Exp. Share, but I didn't want to take the risk and end up diluting shit.

#7 Posted by GIyn (202 posts) -

I thought EXP share, used to only give you half the amount of EXP on the pokemon you actually used in the fight.... Which is why I didn't see the appeal of it, maybe I am wrong?

#8 Posted by TopSteer (642 posts) -

I'll definitely turn it off when I start playing, not a fan of that system at all. It's weird, normally I don't like it in RPGs when non active party members get reduced or no exp but in Pokemon it makes sense to me that only the participating Pokemon gets exp.

#9 Edited by Zeik (2343 posts) -

@giyn said:

I thought EXP share, used to only give you half the amount of EXP on the pokemon you actually used in the fight.... Which is why I didn't see the appeal of it, maybe I am wrong?

Technically it gave the Pokemon who has the exp share equipped half and the rest was split between whoever else participated. It was specifically used for training weaker Pokemon that you didn't want to use in battle yet. Or helping Pokemon that fell behind catch up.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@giyn said:

In X & Y the Pokemon used in battle will get the full amount of Exp and the rest of the party will each get half of it. It's not divided up like it was in past games, which means if you keep it active your team quickly becomes incredibly over leveled.

#11 Edited by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

I kept it off until I had my main team completely EV trained (or Super Trained now, I guess.) I'm not sure if EV points carry over in the new Exp. Share, but I didn't want to take the risk and end up diluting shit.

I believe EV's are shared as well. I just realized this means you could potentially EV train 6 pokemon at once. Whoa.

#12 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5376 posts) -

I've played Pokemon for the last 15 years without having it as it is now in any game, other than the singular exp. share. This new feature is absolutely welcome in my game. It ultimately just saves me time, something that I have to carefully manage more and more as I get older.

#13 Posted by TruthTellah (8725 posts) -

I definitely think it's a welcome addition this time around, but then, I am torn regarding how much to use it. The game is already relatively easy; so, it makes it even more so. Yet, it does save time on switching out Pokemon in battle and raising up a full team. If I wasn't rather busy, I'd likely not use it, but since I can only fit in so much time off and on to play the game, I think it really allows me the chance to raise up a more diverse part of Pokemon and keep the game chugging along.

#14 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

Does exp share, not work like rare candy then? The pokemon still gets the full stats?

Arguably the pokemon hasn't really had any "experience" of a fight, if they are not used, so theoretically they wouldn't be as strong as a pokemon who had real fighting experience ALL of the time.

#15 Edited by Korolev (1703 posts) -

When I start playing it, I simply won't have the time to play with it off. I need to get through it quickly because I am commencing full-time work/study and I simply do not have the time to spend on one game. I like the idea that you can turn it off, and where I 9 years younger when I still had school summer holidays, I would play with it off. But I just don't have the time. So, thanks Nintendo for realizing that some of your players simply can't spare the time.

#16 Posted by Alexc26 (2 posts) -

I've only just started (About to go to Route 7), and I've got EXP share on at the moment, but I can see how later on if you keep it on it might make things a bit easy, especially if you use Torchic, with EXP share and the boosted XP you get for traded pokemon, it's my highest level at the moment, and I expect it could easily be the highest level for the rest of the game if you don't turn EXP share off etc.

#17 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

it's a great addition that's completely optional and anyone who complains about it is probably a terrible human being!

#18 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I always use it, but I did have to turn it off for a minute because I took my sweet ass time getting to the second gym and was about to lose control of my team haha

#19 Edited by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

@alexc26 said:

I've only just started (About to go to Route 7), and I've got EXP share on at the moment, but I can see how later on if you keep it on it might make things a bit easy, especially if you use Torchic, with EXP share and the boosted XP you get for traded pokemon, it's my highest level at the moment, and I expect it could easily be the highest level for the rest of the game if you don't turn EXP share off etc.

Torchic is basically unstoppable now as Combusken. I've hardly used him and now he's a beast I can call on when the shit hits the fan (rarely). You get EXP from catching Pokemon too...

I fully get that people don't have time to play the game like they did when they were young, but as it stands I haven't even been challenged. Remember scraping through the gyms early on or trying to get through the tougher caves alive? That doesn't happen when you're so far ahead of the competition. I dunno, people may find enjoyment in different ways, and I'm really loving this game -- I just wish there was either a classic mode that offers more of a challenge (less money, restricted item selection) or the gym leaders and trainers levels scaled with you.

#20 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

To me, this allows me to have a full, viable team and actually explore different Pokemon without the hassle of grinding. As someone who just doesn't have the time nor patience for that kinda stuff anymore, it has kept me actually playing the game.

#21 Posted by TechHits (1377 posts) -

the new exp share does effect EV points, that's why I'm not using it personally.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

Thanks to super training, I'm going even slower than you. 10 hours in and I'm still just wandering around, haven't found the 2nd gym.

Anyway, I keep it on because this fixes an important issue with pokemon: the legacy fans. The older fans with more responsibilities who still love pokemon games but don't get time to grind every pokemon on a team. This lets us beat the games in a reasonable amount of time. Very welcome feature.

#23 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3195 posts) -

I hate making games artificially hard.

Using options provided by the developer is never making a game artificially hard. The default settings of any game aren't the "true" settings. This is like those people saying GTAV isn't made for Free Aim - yes, it is, it's right there in the options menu.

Me no like XP share, just doesn't make sense to me, uh, "as a trainer". I've never been much a collector anyways, don't care about "catching them all" as they say. Prefer to just raise a few Pokes of different types and actually use them.

#24 Posted by probablytuna (3604 posts) -

I turn it off because I usually have a weaker Pokemon that I would use to chip away at the HP off wild Pokemon I want to catch. Having EXP Share on means that all my Pokemon in the group will be equally as powerful and would likely kill off the Pokemon. I'll probably turn it on when I am just grinding levels.

#25 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3161 posts) -

I was thinking about it but in all honesty I don't play pokemon for the "in-game" story. I mostly play it to challenge real life players and collecting them all.

#26 Edited by ajamafalous (11944 posts) -

I'll echo what pretty much everyone else is saying in that I'm using it because it saves me time, something I had a ton of 10-15 years ago but don't anymore.

#27 Posted by DystopiaX (5297 posts) -

I turned it off. I understand if you want a quicker or easier game or whatever but I wanted a "classic" experience, and the game still isn't really that hard anyway.

#28 Posted by certmcgurt (26 posts) -

If I had more time to play the game I would probably turn it off... but I don't... so I haven't.

#29 Posted by Twiggymc (3 posts) -

I played through X with it on but i think once i get around to getting Y ill not use it

#30 Posted by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

@pandabear said:

I hate making games artificially hard.

Using options provided by the developer is never making a game artificially hard. The default settings of any game aren't the "true" settings. This is like those people saying GTAV isn't made for Free Aim - yes, it is, it's right there in the options menu.

Me no like XP share, just doesn't make sense to me, uh, "as a trainer". I've never been much a collector anyways, don't care about "catching them all" as they say. Prefer to just raise a few Pokes of different types and actually use them.

It really is just in my head. It took me a while to get over it... but since turning it off I've found trainers and wild 'mons are a challenge now.

For the record, I'm 29 and played Red when it was only a month or so old (in Australia at least) so I'd consider myself a long term fan. I also have a full-time job and a life outside of games (no really). So what I'm getting at is I don't want people assuming I have all the time in the world to game... It's usually an hour or two in bed before I fall asleep. I guess my overall point is I want the journey to be memorable, filled with battles that took time and skill... I'm not in a rush nor do I want to feel like I didn't have to work hard for all the badges. But hey, there's other games I'm sure I play different than most, so to each their own.

For those starting out I will say the gym leaders have only had two Pokemon a piece so far and the Team Rocket equivalents are piss weak. Furthermore your "rivals" carry two or three Pokemon max. I'm yet to fight ANYONE with a full team. Even the caves and grassy areas aren't that crazy... just a heads up really.

#31 Posted by Y2Ken (1116 posts) -

I've turned it off for now, just a short while after getting it (I'm not at the second gym yet). If I feel like I'm a little behind or am facing a lot of grinding, I'll turn it back up. But given that I was wildly overpowered for the first gym, and that's before you even get it, I'm going to run without it for the time being, because I just wasn't switching out Pokémon.

The issue for me is that I tend to overlevel my stuff as it is, so there's almost never a need for me to switch out because even with unfavourable typings I can usually smash a battle. As an example, going into the first gym (which is around lv.12 max I think?) I had a lv.19 Greninja, a lv.14 Fletchling, and a Riolu (around the lv.10 mark). Plus one of each of the other Pokémon I could find in the wild up to that point, caught and jammed into my PC boxes for now. It's the way I've always enjoyed playing and I don't think the new EXP Share is going to fit it well.

I like that it's there for people who don't want to grind though, and I have every intention of using it to mass-level Pokémon and evolve all those ones in my boxes once I get towards the post-E4 game.

#32 Posted by WarosVenus (12 posts) -

The idea of it sounds terrible to me, personally. I see what people are saying about it saving time, but really pokemon games aren't that hard to begin with, and mostly using pokemon with type advantages to your opponents allows your team to level up fairly evenly (at least in my experience). I'm going to have it off, personally, but if the mechanics of the game makes it too grindy later on, I won't be adverse to turning it on either. That was my main reason for using the exp share items in the past, to speed up grinding when I didn't level a specific type or when I got a new pokemon I just had to use late game.

#33 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I'll start using it if I get into post-game breeding, I just don't see where there's time to be saved in the "main game" when a Beedrill can tear through late game gyms. Not opposed to it at all though.

#34 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

It's very much damned if you do and damned if you don't. On the one hand, helps eliminate tedious grinding but on the other I felt that the game (especially for the Elite four) didn't give me any satisfaction resulting from difficulty, it was too easy. Also, apart from one or two pokémon, I felt no real attachment to the others, as they just sat in their pokéballs and leveled up. Ah well, maybe it's time to remember that this will be a whole generation's first pokémon game, and they probably won't have an issue with it.

#35 Posted by GnomeonFire (710 posts) -

It would just make the game feel more grindy for me. I'm going to out-level an area before going through it anyways, that's just how I play, and this only makes it quicker. I'm also 15 hours and only have 1 gym badge, and I'm in Ambrette town.

#36 Posted by Superkenon (1410 posts) -

I fully get that people don't have time to play the game like they did when they were young, but as it stands I haven't even been challenged. Remember scraping through the gyms early on or trying to get through the tougher caves alive? That doesn't happen when you're so far ahead of the competition. I dunno, people may find enjoyment in different ways, and I'm really loving this game -- I just wish there was either a classic mode that offers more of a challenge (less money, restricted item selection) or the gym leaders and trainers levels scaled with you.

Just putting this out there, since I played Blue somewhat recently on a whim... it's actually not a hard game. In fact it's easy to coast through, just like in this new one. You, me, we're just better at games now.

That said, I wouldn't mind them having a 'hard' option, for those of us that've learned how to be efficient with our Pokemanning. They traditionally have reserved the more 'hardcore' challenges for the post-game though.

#37 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11595 posts) -

I think even without the EXP share turned on the game is still far easier than the last time I played it (i.e. Soul Silver). There are like two trainers in the entire game that have a full set of 6 (the champion and your rival the last time you battle them) and I felt like I could've probably gotten through like 75% of the game with just Chesnaught.

That being said, it certainly doesn't help when your entire party is 10 levels above that of your opponent right up until the elite four, who I still beat on my first go-through.

#38 Edited by johnParker1939 (1 posts) -

It all boils down to if you like to CHEAT! This game has been made WAY to easy. All the money, low AI, free Pokemon, exp share for all (no drawbacks), and super easy EV training.... Almost no trainers compared to the last games, and the easiest tunnels and victory road in all Pokemon history.... The people who are saying "just turn off the exp share" are idiots and do not understand sportsmanship.... If they legalized all steroids in sports and they had no side effects, and let all ages play the same game, that would be the closest comparison to this Pokemon game.... People who valued the hard work and tedious training to reach their ultimate Goal would be thrusters into a world with people reaching those goals with little effort. Yes they can still train old school, but will be pointless when they look around to see that everybody got to the same goal 10 times as fast, with the same result.... It takes out the sportsmanship part of it.... People stop TRYING. And it's sad.... AND to all the people out there talking about "time and school, and life".... What difference does it make if you play this for one week, or one month? It makes your money mor worth it the more play time you have with it.... You will just start playing online after you beat it, or start playing another game.... So.......... What the hell is the rush? But I do agree that this can be balanced out with the option of greater Or harder mode with every game.... As Jake from Adventure Time would say... "This game is just butter, no substance...."..... Lol... Something like that anyways....

#39 Posted by Zalrus9 (107 posts) -

How about people who think the game is easy do the nuzlocke challenge? Although the challenge is self-imposed, it does make things a little bit harder, and allows you to care about the pokemon! Check it out!

#40 Posted by PandaBear (1344 posts) -

@pandabear said:

Just putting this out there, since I played Blue somewhat recently on a whim... it's actually not a hard game. In fact it's easy to coast through, just like in this new one. You, me, we're just better at games now.

That said, I wouldn't mind them having a 'hard' option, for those of us that've learned how to be efficient with our Pokemanning. They traditionally have reserved the more 'hardcore' challenges for the post-game though.

I know that you're right to an extent... but at least the earlier games you had longer battles with people using a full (or nearly full) roster of Pokemon. I am yet to fight anyone with more than four to a team 25 hours in. And four is a lot for this game.

BUT having said that, the more I play the more I like the actual world of Kalos. The day/night cycle is off (it should be darker at night! And more night time Pokemon!) and time dependent events are not very common (I miss the Sunday morning markets of Gold/Silver), but exploring the back alleys of Luminose City and all the little towns scattered about is great. Plus, I may not be a fan of 70% of the 600 Pokemon, but hey at least there's a lot of variety. I think this time around it's not the new fight mechanics, the challenge, the story or the Pokemon that have made this game great, it's discovering more of Kalos that has been my driving force.

(Oh and EXP share off has made the game actually challenging now, not hard as such, but I've had a few more 'mons faint in battle)

#41 Posted by Superkenon (1410 posts) -

@pandabear: Believe it or not, the first Gym Leader in Red/Blue to have more than four Pokemans was Giovanni (with five)... and he was the final one! Even the Elite Four only had five each. The Champion may have been the only trainer in the game to unleash a full set of six at you.

I'm just saying that more for trivia than anything. Overall, I'd say you're right that this is an easier title. If nothing else, its modern-game conveniences make the whole thing a bit more forgiving (ie, if you want to backtrack, you don't have to go through miles of encounter-ridden caves). Glad you're enjoying it, though. For all its missteps, Pokemon seems to always have something for everyone. Exploration's probably my biggest draw, too. The style still harkens back to the good ol' JRPG worlds I enjoy.

I've been playing primarily with EXP Share off, too. I've decided it's kinda the closest thing to that difficulty option I want. My plan is to just have it off, but if I ever happen to get into a situation where it's necessary to grind (which seems unlikely), I'll turn it on just to fast-forward that process.

#42 Edited by Blomakrans (148 posts) -

I play with it on. Around the second gym most of my team was getting pretty over leveled so I started switching out high level dudes fairly regularly. I probably have around 10 - 14 pokemon that I use regularly. I haven't really played pokemon games since ruby and sapphire so this allows me to try out more dudes and see them evolve. For me this is a much better solution than turning EXP Share off. It also adds a new experience for me which is being able to try out various team combinations and new pokemon without having to grind for hours to get that lvl 10 guy up to your party level.

#43 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@pandabear said:

@superkenon said:

@pandabear said:

I know that you're right to an extent... but at least the earlier games you had longer battles with people using a full (or nearly full) roster of Pokemon. I am yet to fight anyone with more than four to a team 25 hours in. And four is a lot for this game.

BUT having said that, the more I play the more I like the actual world of Kalos. The day/night cycle is off (it should be darker at night! And more night time Pokemon!) and time dependent events are not very common (I miss the Sunday morning markets of Gold/Silver), but exploring the back alleys of Luminose City and all the little towns scattered about is great. Plus, I may not be a fan of 70% of the 600 Pokemon, but hey at least there's a lot of variety. I think this time around it's not the new fight mechanics, the challenge, the story or the Pokemon that have made this game great, it's discovering more of Kalos that has been my driving force.

(Oh and EXP share off has made the game actually challenging now, not hard as such, but I've had a few more 'mons faint in battle)

I'm a little over 50 hours (man that is a lot of time) and am outside the town with the 8th gym. I turned exp share off at the start and have remained at level with the rest of the people in the game. I have to use potions on occasion and I have been completely knocked out twice. I have kept my team balanced (all between 50-55) and it has made the game more fun. You have to think about the match ups instead of just throwing up whoever because you know they will win the match no matter what. Like you said it is never really hard, but it isn't a total cake walk either.

#44 Posted by Ben_H (3336 posts) -

I am playing with it turned off. There is a certain zen aspect of leveling up pokemon that I really enjoy, especially when I need to think about things.

#45 Posted by Deadmanforking (575 posts) -

I had it on for most of the game, but around the 5th or 6th Gym all my Pokemon were like 5-10 levels above the Gym leader so decided to turn it off, didn't turn it back on until after the Elite 4 and I was leveling up some random Pokemon I caught throughout the game.

#46 Edited by SpunkyHePanda (1610 posts) -

I haven't played the game, but I know exactly what you mean about that compulsion. I would feel dumb turning EXP share off, but if it were framed as a difficulty setting or something (normal mode = shared EXP, hard mode = not shared), I'd be more likely to check it out. Yeah, it's weird.

#47 Edited by ajamafalous (11944 posts) -

I play with it on. Around the second gym most of my team was getting pretty over leveled so I started switching out high level dudes fairly regularly. I probably have around 10 - 14 pokemon that I use regularly. I haven't really played pokemon games since ruby and sapphire so this allows me to try out more dudes and see them evolve. For me this is a much better solution than turning EXP Share off. It also adds a new experience for me which is being able to try out various team combinations and new pokemon without having to grind for hours to get that lvl 10 guy up to your party level.

This is what I ended up doing as well, and I'm hoenstly having a lot more fun because of it. In every other Pokémon game I've played (read: all of them) the thing I hate the most is wanting to use or try out a new dude but not being able to without grinding him up to my level. The new EXP Share has completely eliminated that annoying aspect of the game for me, so I'm really enjoying it. I revamped my team around level 35 to include some dudes I wanted that were only level ~10, and now they're even with my starters at 45 again. It's great. I never really played through the Pokémon games for the 'challenge' of the story, anyway; that's what PVP is for.

#48 Edited by MormonWarrior (2561 posts) -

I'm a little disappointed by the common statement coming from players and reviewers that this game is rather easy. I mean, the Pokemans has never been terribly difficult but I felt like at least Ruby was pretty tricky, especially when it came to catching Groudon without a Master Ball. That battle felt Final Fantasy-level of epic in a way I'd never felt in a Pokemon game.

But having to constantly rotate your party to grind out even levels? That's been my major complaint since the beginning. Glad to see they addressed it but it's too bad they didn't properly balance the enemies to take advantage of it. I mean, I guess these are for kids but...a difficulty level slider would be nice.

#49 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Blasting through the game with one team would probably lead to overleveling. But I find that just encourages me to use many different Pokemon. If I feel like my guys are getting too powerful, I change it up.

#50 Edited by KoolAid (898 posts) -

I thought about it, but I actually think the game is a lot better with the xp share on. Sure you can power up your main team pretty fast, but I like passively training alternate pokemon and then having the ability to take them for a spin to see if i like them better then my current choices.

Pokemon XY is a game you have to play the way you think is right. Everyone has to find their own balance. Trading is just a much a part of the game as the xp share. And with how easy they made trading, you can leave the first town with all six of your fav pokemon at level 20+ pretty painlessly. Its even easier if you have a friend who is farther then you. I think we all have to find our own path as far as making the game as challenging as we want it goes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.