Loving the game so far.

#1 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

Not to far in. Just at the third Gym. But a few things that stick out that im really enjoying.

The animations are really cool. They dont just stand around they do things when you are picking the move you want them to do.

There is a good amount of stuff to do. I spent maybe way to much time on the 10 second video. Just looks cool. The random trade system is a fun little thing to do fluff out your pokedex and maybe get something you want. Outfits are a cool little thing to make your char more yours. And the mini games both sorta fun and helps your pokemon.

The amount of pokemon in the first few areas is awesome. So many choices!! I had to force my self to keep moving and not get everything. Ill wait for later for that. But man! So many! It's awesome!

Pikachu....they made him so cute i had to get him. Thats also a downside...why could they not add the cartoon voices to all of the pokemon? I always enjoyed that aspect of the cartoon. ....course when he gets knocked out it makes you feel like crap...piiiikaaa...lol

The online systems are really outstanding...once you get past the whole nintendo view of online.

Very good buy.

#2 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Yeah, having not played a pokemon game since silver I've had a lot to do and enjoy in this game. Just got the 3rd badge and the ability to Mega Evolve and I'm at 20 hours.

I too wish they'd give the pokemon some more anime voices. That's probably just because I consumed more of the anime than I did the games. Though, I'll admit that if all the pokemon got actual voices you would lose the Squirtle nightmare cry. That would suck.

#3 Posted by alanm26v5 (442 posts) -

I spent too long on that video too. Hopefully whenever the Global Link stuff launches, you can share them or something, but probably not. Also I like the digital cries.

#4 Posted by kishinfoulux (2274 posts) -

Graphically it looks MUCH better then I anticipated. The videos/screens don't really do it justice. And it's great to have actual, living, breathing 3-D pokemon. The game just feels very alive.

#5 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

@alanm26v5: People that you have encountered one way or a other, can view it. And you can view others if they have it set up! Click on a persons icon in the PSS part of the bottom screen, and it will be under Trainer PR Video. If its blocked out course that means they dont want to share, or they never did it. :D

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -
@gonmog said:

Pikachu....they made him so cute i had to get him. Thats also a downside...why could they not add the cartoon voices to all of the pokemon? I always enjoyed that aspect of the cartoon. ....course when he gets knocked out it makes you feel like crap...piiiikaaa...lol

The anime is based on the games, not the other way around. The idea of the Pokemon saying their own names came specifically from the show, it only really became a part of the games later. Having them all speak their names in game would have to take up a massive amount of space though and remember, most Pokemon (except ones like Pikachu) have different names in different languages, so they wouldn't just need to have several voice files for each of the 700-odd Pokemon in the game, but also have different ones for the 8 different languages available too.

Plus most of the anime voice overs sound downright awful. I'm just happy they finally rerecorded some of the older cries.

#7 Edited by Nights (609 posts) -

Probably my favorite game of 2013. I've been playing the shit out of it over the last few days. I'm hooked.

Graphically it looks MUCH better then I anticipated. The videos/screens don't really do it justice. And it's great to have actual, living, breathing 3-D pokemon. The game just feels very alive.

My thoughts exactly. When I saw the first screens/videos awhile back I thought it looked alright. Like you said, you really have to see it in motion as it's a very pretty game.

#8 Posted by redyoshi (148 posts) -

This will be the first one I finish since Silver, for all the reasons you've mentioned and more.

That Pokemon Amie thing, for as worthless as I thought it would be going into this, has really added to my experience. Getting a Pokemon up to max affection doesn't take too long once you have access to the best treats, and what it adds to the gameplay has been totally worth it, for me. Seeing messages like "Charmeleon meets your eyes and nods in understanding." and "Eevee's in a pinch, it looks like she might cry." really makes me think of these things as more than my personal attack dogs. If I ever end up doing one of those Nuzlocke things, the sense of attachment you can foster in this game is going to make it pretty brutal. This is all besides the bonuses in battle, like enduring with 1HP and upgraded evasion. I'm all about the feels.

#9 Edited by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

It's a really great game and being a long time fan I'm happy with many of the decisions they've made. I got it at the Nintendo World midnight launch event and have already put in over 20hrs even having worked over 20hrs this week so far, which is more than I put into most games this year. Definitely has a pretty good chance of being my goty.

#10 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

@wintersnowblind: Thats why i said voices like the show. I never once said the game came from the show. But thank you for trying to point out that im just not bright enough or dont know enough history on where the game came from. Cause that was really needed.

#11 Posted by NegativeCero (2987 posts) -

I'm spending way too much time super training and planning my final team. I feel guilty that half of my team are older generations. But yeah, having skipped the last 3 generations, I definitely see myself spending plenty of time with it.

#12 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

I only ever really played Blue. I got Silver i think and played for a little bit. But did not get into it as much. Got this on a whim really. Glad i did.

#13 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5363 posts) -

The game so far has really impressed me. I never really stopped playing the Pokemon games, so the stark contrast between the old art style and the jump to a 3d world has been much more satisfying for a long time fan like myself.

#14 Edited by calophi (43 posts) -

@alanm26v5: So glad I am not the only one who spent way too much time on that video. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.