Mega Charizard X

#1 Edited by Aegon (5712 posts) -

The previous Mega Charizard was actually the Y version, this further cements X as being the one to get for me. Here's Mega Charizard X:

Mega Charizard X exchanges its flying type for dragon type.

#2 Edited by Nightriff (5164 posts) -

Wait....what?

Is there a mega blastoise? That will be the version I get.

#3 Posted by Aegon (5712 posts) -

Wait....what?

Is there a mega blastoise? That will be the version I get.

They all have Mega Evolutions in both versions, but I guess now that the previous ones shown for Blastoise and Venusaur are for the Y version (unless this has already been confirmed as not being the case), the X versions will be revealed?

#4 Posted by SunBroZak (1214 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, the design is pretty cool. On the other, they're tampering with Pokemon in a way I wish they wouldn't.

#5 Posted by Nightriff (5164 posts) -

@aegon: Interesting, I didn't even know they were doing this and which has peaked my interest in getting one of the games.... but these Mega evolutions are just one step closer to digimon, Ultra Mega Charizard!

#6 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Shedding it's flying type is a massive bonus for Charizard. Shame that you can only do so mid battle, meaning he'd have to switch into a stealth rock. Oh well, stay down in the NU tier where you belong, Charizard.

#7 Edited by Flappy (2308 posts) -

Fuck! I still plan on getting Y, but this changes everything! Assuming they do Mega Feraligatr, what will I do if Y gets the uglier one?

This is busted.

Oh, and Y Charizard > X Charizard. The blue flames are nice, but those wings are a lil' too much for me.

#8 Posted by Lumley (962 posts) -

I've always been planning to get X because X is a rad letter of the alphabet yo. After seeing the legendary, Mega Mewtwo X and now Mega Charizard X I'm pretty happy with my choice.

#9 Edited by MEATBALL (3345 posts) -

Fire and Dragon as opposed to Fire and Flying sounds great. I was planning on getting Y, because I love the look of that legendary and don't care much for X's, but goddamn Mega Charizard X is badass as all hell. Mewtwo X is way cooler than Y, too. Damnit.

Right now it's looking like the only good thing about Y is its legendary. :/

I hope Mega Blastoise looks cooler in Y or something. D:

#10 Edited by Itwongo (1218 posts) -

Hey, I'm always ready for more mega evolutions, and having the design change as much as that is a good way to advertise the type change. I think it looks cool!

#11 Posted by Flappy (2308 posts) -

@meatball said:

Fire and Dragon as opposed to Fire and Flying sounds great. I was planning on getting Y, because I love the look of that legendary and don't care much for X's, but goddamn Mega Charizard X is badass as all hell. Mewtwo X is way cooler than Y, too. Damnit.

I also made my decision based on the legendary, but now it seems like all the cool stuff is going to X. I won't lie - I considered jumping ship and heading over to X, but now I'm motivated to be that one asshat with Y that beats down all the cool kids with M. Charizard X.

#12 Edited by Brendan (7848 posts) -

So, Disney Infinity...its a real money grab for executives right guys? Not at all like Pokemon, which is totally legit judging by this thread.

#13 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@brendan said:

So, Disney Infinity...its a real money grab for executives right guys? Not at all like Pokemon, which is totally legit judging by this thread.

You don't need to pay any extra money for the 700+ Pokemon in these games.

They're playing off the nostalgia for the original Pokemon here, but I don't see how that's a money grab.

#14 Posted by Pessh (2459 posts) -

Wonder how the shiny would look =/

#15 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@meatball said:

Y's Legendary, Yveltal (Dark/Flying), is also weak to X's Legendary, Xerneas (Fairy). I personally prefer Xerneas anyway. His design is more unique. Yveltal looks too much like a flying Groudon.

#16 Posted by TheHT (11559 posts) -

MEGA GARURUMON

#17 Posted by FlipperDesert (2098 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, the design is pretty cool. On the other, they're tampering with Pokemon in a way I wish they wouldn't.

Pretty much. They're not changing the things I want them to change and modernize it, but adding another layer of complexity to the game to try and keep collectors getting new versions.

I fucking hate HM's so much.

#18 Posted by Budwyzer (608 posts) -

Wait..... when you store a Pokemon, it goes in a computer server... Doesn't that mean the Pokemon enters the Digital World?

So Digimon is just the story of people that figured out how to zap themselves into the Pokemon Digital Storage System?

#19 Edited by chiablo (962 posts) -

Mecha Charizard?

#20 Posted by TwinkleTwinkle (27 posts) -

I dont really get this whole mega evolution thing, can somebody explain it to me?

Like do they evolve permanently or is it just in the one battle, this must also mean that Charmander will be in the wild.

#21 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I dont really get this whole mega evolution thing, can somebody explain it to me?

Like do they evolve permanently or is it just in the one battle, this must also mean that Charmander will be in the wild.

It's once per battle. And in the beginning of the game you can pick one of the 3 original starters in addition to one of the new ones.

#22 Posted by TwinkleTwinkle (27 posts) -

@twinkletwinkle said:

It's once per battle. And in the beginning of the game you can pick one of the 3 original starters in addition to one of the new ones.

Wait so you pretty much start with 2 Pokemon? Do you know if there still sticking to a 6 Pokemon party limit?

#23 Posted by Brendan (7848 posts) -

@wintersnowblind: Pokemon's entire strategy from the get go has been money grabbing by needlessly making 2 games to play of kids desire to get all the Pokemon, effectively charging extra or enticing word of mouth marketing between kids. Christ, look at this thread. Its about Pokemon that could all easily he in one game, but while people shit on Skylanders and Infinity they gave Pokemon a free pass out of nostalgia.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Somebody get to work on a Mega Man X ROM hack where you play as this thing. YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

#25 Edited by Itwongo (1218 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: It's been confirmed that you get the gen 1 starter at the beginning of the game?

@brendan: Charging extra? Buy one version, and then trade pokemon and fancy items with friends who have the other. Or you can just do it over the internet, nowadays.

#26 Posted by Forcen (1836 posts) -

Those cel shaded flames coming out of his mouth look kinda crummy. Otherwise cool stuff.

#27 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@itwongo said:

@mariachimacabre: It's been confirmed that you get the gen 1 starter at the beginning of the game?

@brendan: Charging extra? Buy one version, and then trade pokemon and fancy items with friends who have the other. Or you can just do it over the internet, nowadays.

I believe so, yes. I believe it goes that you'll get a new one and then, shortly after that, a Gen 1.

#28 Posted by Itwongo (1218 posts) -
#29 Edited by Hunter5024 (5849 posts) -

@brendan: Nobody buys both versions, unless they're crazy. The two game system is designed to encourage the social aspect of Pokemon, so that you'll trade between friends and have a less solitary experience.

#30 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2512 posts) -

That looks way better than the other Mega Charizard. Still gonna get his ass whooped by my Mega Blastoise though.

#31 Edited by 49th (2790 posts) -

wow so design

black charizard

cool spikes

#32 Posted by GreggD (4508 posts) -

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver, so take that into consideration when I say that Pokemon has gotten fucking retarded.

#33 Edited by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

Fuuuckk man I got so excited when I saw this, I originally wanted Y but this may make me want to switch to X. Gotta see what else they release for each version.

#34 Posted by Aegon (5712 posts) -

@49th said:

wow so design

black charizard

cool spikes

black charizard doesn't afraid of anything

@greggd said:

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold/Silver, so take that into consideration when I say that Pokemon has gotten fucking retarded.

Yeah, I still think a lot of what makes up Pokemon is stupid, but it's remains addicting. Gotta catch your favourites / the tolerable ones and kick everyone else's ass.

#35 Edited by GreggD (4508 posts) -

@aegon said:

@49th said:

wow so design

black charizard

cool spikes

black charizard doesn't afraid of anything

@greggd said:

Yeah, I still think a lot of what makes up Pokemon is stupid, but it's remains addicting. Gotta catch your favourites / the tolerable ones and kick everyone else's ass.

To be fair, I still love the concept of 'collecting them all', and I feel that the Castlevania Sorrow games for the GBA and DS took that concept and added it to an already peanut butter/chocolate like combination. So it was like peanut butter, chocolate and Fluff. Mmmm...

#36 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3599 posts) -

Is Mega Charizard still a douche bag like in the cartoon series?

#37 Posted by Hunter5024 (5849 posts) -

Is Mega Charizard still a douche bag like in the cartoon series?

Squirtle is the douche bag.

#38 Posted by Aegon (5712 posts) -

@hunter5024: That fucking scream! Charmander is in agony!

#39 Posted by Nights (615 posts) -

@brendan said:

@wintersnowblind: Pokemon's entire strategy from the get go has been money grabbing by needlessly making 2 games to play of kids desire to get all the Pokemon, effectively charging extra or enticing word of mouth marketing between kids. Christ, look at this thread. Its about Pokemon that could all easily he in one game, but while people shit on Skylanders and Infinity they gave Pokemon a free pass out of nostalgia.

Not that Game Freak/Nintendo haven't been trying to milk the masses since Pokemon's inception, but there's this little thing called Wi-Fi and it enables you to trade your Pokemon with other people.

#40 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1083 posts) -

ugghhh thanks to this stupid Charizard X, everyone I know changed their pre-order to Pokemon X.

#41 Posted by misterpope (379 posts) -

@theht said:

MEGA GARURUMON

YES! That is the only thing I can think of when I see all these crazy mega evolutions. Good work sir

#42 Posted by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

To add i think some are guessing just Charizard is getting the X & Y treatment. So the other starters will just have one mega evolution. Nothing confirmed but i'll relay it anyway so no one is too disappointed.

#43 Posted by Akyho (1678 posts) -

ugghhh thanks to this stupid Charizard X, everyone I know changed their pre-order to Pokemon X.

What happens when the X version of Blastoise isn't as awesome as the Y Blastoise? Will they switch back?

#44 Edited by DystopiaX (5339 posts) -

@flappy said:

@meatball said:

I also made my decision based on the legendary, but now it seems like all the cool stuff is going to X. I won't lie - I considered jumping ship and heading over to X, but now I'm motivated to be that one asshat with Y that beats down all the cool kids with M. Charizard X.

I actually like X's legendary better, I thought both looked cool but we've had so many legendary dragon looking dudes already and the deer design was dope. Plus it's the new type (fairy), and all the cool shit (mewtwo x, charizard x) only makes it better.

#45 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1083 posts) -

@akyho said:
@irrelevantjohn said:

What happens when the X version of Blastoise isn't as awesome as the Y Blastoise? Will they switch back?

I don't think anyone is clamouring for Blastoise to be a different type at all. Charizard is way popular for some odd reason.

#46 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

To add i think some are guessing just Charizard is getting the X & Y treatment. So the other starters will just have one mega evolution. Nothing confirmed but i'll relay it anyway so no one is too disappointed.

I'm pretty sure Blastoise and Venusaur will as well, considering how much they're promoting them. Even if Charizard is the most popular of them, giving him special treatment would be a bit odd. I doubt any of the other starters will have multiple forms though (assuming any of them aside from Blaziken even have one).

#47 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5825 posts) -

Mega Charizard looks pretty rad.

#48 Edited by RavenousJoker (50 posts) -

Mega Charizard looks amazing!

#49 Posted by Moonshadow101 (572 posts) -

Visually, I prefer Mega Char Y... X looks a little too kiddie-hardcore imo. Or maybe I'm just being an oldie who doesn't want his old Pokemon messed with. In any case, it's a shame that X has the obviously superior typing. Also, I tend to prefer Mega Mewtwo Y, since he looks almost... fetal? Mew looks the same way. It's a good look for a super-psychic proto-being.

I really like how the simultaneous release dates has made this kind of stuff less obvious, since we don't have full playthroughs of the Japanese version available months before the game's release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.