Mewthree (?) Reveal

#1 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Gamefreak announced a new Pokemans this morning. A new Mew___. They're being really coy whether it's an evolution or form of Mewtwo, or a brand new Pokemon:

To all the deviantart kids who drew bad Pokemon fan creations, you got your wish! Pokemon X/Y has Mewthree in it!

A lot of thought went into the design. Gamefreak really looked at how the fans could improve the series.

New type: Sexy Pokemon.

MEWTHREE!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this design is really stupid. Also the X side form/version looks like he has dicks growing out of his thighs and I can't unsee them.

#2 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11618 posts) -

Pokemon designs are stupid now.

#3 Edited by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Pokemon designs were always stupid, now we're just old enough to realize it.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11618 posts) -

@arbitrarywater: Pokemon designs were always stupid, now we're just old enough to realize it.

You're right. But my inner-child says no.

#5 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

I don't know what the fuck is up with this game. When I saw Sylveon I died a little inside, and this thing looks like a Dragon Ball Z villain. I imagine that this guy plays into those early rumors that genetic manipulation would be one of the games themes.

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

I can't believe this topic was trending on twitter earlier.

#7 Posted by Marokai (2883 posts) -

While trying to stay out of the minefield that is the "Omg pokemon look so stupid now" debate, I will say that, regardless of what you think it looks like, the general design of this alleged Mewthree is really not that different from Mewtwo if you look at them side by side, this one is just smaller and has the weird hook on top of it's head rather than extended from the bottom of its head. I genuinely don't see the reasoning behind this latest "these kids today and their stupid pokemon" outrage.

#8 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I can't believe this topic was trending on twitter earlier.

A day ago boned and boneless wings were trending. Anything is possible on Twitter.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11826 posts) -

Can't wait for Mewinfinite.

#10 Posted by StarvingGamer (8134 posts) -

I dig it. Yay Pokemon.

NEVER AGAIN.

Sorry, I have a problem with Pokemon addiction, I've been clean since Diamond/Pearl.

#11 Edited by Nictel (2403 posts) -

Red/Blue is where it's at.

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I don't know what the fuck is up with this game. When I saw Sylveon I died a little inside, and this thing looks like a Dragon Ball Z villain. I imagine that this guy plays into those early rumors that genetic manipulation would be one of the games themes.

Funny you say that, because Mewtwo was always based on a DBZ villain. This form just happens to be based on a different one.

I'm usually pretty harsh on people who claim "Pokemon designs have gone down hill" or "only the originals were good". There's far too many hipsters and older games being blinded by nostalgia when it comes to this series and some seem to take that to a ridiculous degree. I will say this design is pretty bad though. He looks okay in game, but Mewtwo did not need a new form to stay relevant, so this is a pretty disappointing direction for the series to take.

#13 Posted by Bollard (5423 posts) -

@morbid_coffee: I hadn't seen the one on the left. Looks like some weird Rotom thing.

#14 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Meh, it's not great but it's not terrible either.

#15 Posted by probablytuna (3610 posts) -

And I was really looking forward to this game when it was first announced... Everything I've heard/read since then has diminished my excitement.

#16 Edited by AndrewB (7574 posts) -

Isn't this more likely an alternate form of Mewtwo, like all the other alternate forms introduced into the series since Deoxys? It definitely looks like it's leaning that way.

#17 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@andrewb said:

Isn't this more likely an alternate form of Mewtwo, like all the other alternate forms introduced into the series since Deoxys? It definitely looks like it's leaning that way.

Especially since it explicitly says as much (the names are exactly the same). Sometimes, it pays to be able to read Japanese.

#18 Posted by audioBusting (1503 posts) -

@andrewb said:

Especially since it explicitly says as much (the names are exactly the same). Sometimes, it pays to be able to read Japanese.

Exactly what I thought when I saw that "X Mewtwo" and "Y Mewtwo"!

#19 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

So basically his tail went from his ass to his head, huh.

There was a thread on kotaku talking about how this is a form and not a pokemon and my head just switched off after that. I am so far out of my pokemon days..

#20 Edited by 49th (2726 posts) -

Spaceshipman VS. Mew SS 3

They just flipped the design upside down - tail on head and random bumps on the ass.

#21 Edited by Mocca_Bear (61 posts) -

NO WAY! I remember drawing Mewthree (probably along with everyone who was into Pokemon) way back in elementary school when Red and Blue were released.

#22 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

Looks just as dumb as all the other Pokemon.

#23 Posted by ModernAlkemie (361 posts) -

Why is a Pokemon fighting a Transformer?

#24 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

@wintersnowblind said:

@hunter5024 said:

Funny you say that, because Mewtwo was always based on a DBZ villain. This form just happens to be based on a different one.

I'm usually pretty harsh on people who claim "Pokemon designs have gone down hill" or "only the originals were good". There's far too many hipsters and older games being blinded by nostalgia when it comes to this series and some seem to take that to a ridiculous degree. I will say this design is pretty bad though. He looks okay in game, but Mewtwo did not need a new form to stay relevant, so this is a pretty disappointing direction for the series to take.

Usually I'm the same way, however I do think that pokemon design has had its ups and downs. For example, I thought generations 1, 2, 3, and 5 all had a handful of pretty cool pokemon, but in 4 I think there was a lot less variety. They made too many cute pokemon, and a ton of the new ones were just evolutions of older pokemon which made that generation come across kind of creatively bankrupt. Based on Sylveon and this thing it seems they're going in that same direction for this one.

#25 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

Take it from someone who wasn't in elementary school when Pokemon first came out: The designs have always been stupid.

#26 Edited by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

Here are some images and a video of it in-game.

#27 Posted by Dixavd (1344 posts) -

I don't see why someone can think they ruined Mewtwo's design - it already looked shit.

#28 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Can I just get a 1995 mode and only have the original 151 spawn in my game? Outside of a few here and there each generation of these guys suck more and more.

#29 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

Hey guys, Pokemon isn't for you anymore.

#30 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -

Actually, Mewtwo was based on the original design of Giygas from Earthbound, specifically the way he looked in Mother 1, also known as "Earthbound Zero". I couldn't say this for sure, but I think the same guy designed both characters. It's kinda hard to tell from an NES screenshot, sure, but it's been documented all over the place.

#31 Edited by MentalDisruption (1622 posts) -

I prefer seeing something like this added rather than more random inanimate objects with eyes slapped on them. Although I'm sure there be plenty of that too. From the few I've seen so far these new gen designs actually look fine to me. That is the first time I've been able to say that since ruby/saphire.

#32 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

I think this might be a evolution of Mew rather than Mewtwo. Mewtwo was just this awful genetic experiment. And Mew was always supposed to be a rare sight, that could evolve eventually to this thing here. So, I don't think this will be called Mewthree, but something similar to what Togetic became.

I also think this is timely for a new Mew announcement, as the new Pokemon movie featuring Mewtwo has just been announced.

#33 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

I can't wait for Mewten, they could make a new show "Teenage Mewten Ninja Turtles".

That would be pretty badass.

#34 Posted by NegativeCero (2995 posts) -

This just made me realize how stupid the name "Mewtwo" is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.