Pokemon X & Y Wishlist

Posted by Carbon64 (21 posts) -

So this is just going to be a list of ideas I would like implemented in Pokemon X & Y.

1) Balancing

Now some Pokemon fans like to tell me why fix what is not broken. But, I would like to say just like when Ghost and Psychic type was broken in Red and Blue and Dark and Steel type was made to counter them a new type needs to be made to counter Dragon. Dragon types used to be to few in number to make that much of an impact but with all the Dragons out there a new type needs to be made to deal with them. And I know what your thinking what about Dragon and Ice Pokemon? I always felt you shouldn't have to put a Dragon on your team to defeat a Dragon. As for Ice most Dragon Pokemon can best an Ice Pokemon easily. I would propose a Space type Pokemon that can best Dragon Pokemon. I think Space would work best because there are already Pokemon that are from space so you could change them so they have Space in their type like how Magneton got Steel type in Pokemon Silver. Maybe bug type will beat Space type so Bug types will be more useful.

2) Make it more like an RPG

By this I'm talking about the story. In every Pokemon the story was never the strong point but there was usually a plot that was about an organization using Pokemon for their own selfish desires. If I made a story for Pokemon I wouldn't change this however I would add more twists and events in the story like the Pokemon Adventures Comics. Pokemon is an RPG and I always thought its narrative should be more like other RPGs that have very expansive storylines. There should also be events that mix up the adventure like bumping into your rival and switching Pokemon with them or joining a side of a gang and battling with them. Events that would not be a part of the main story but, would make the game feel more like an adventure and less like a series of mundane battles.

3) Other Regions

In Pokemon Silver we first saw the ability to cross over from one Pokemon region to another. Now that we have 5 regions it would be very easy to make a very big world and long game. This feature was absent from Pokemon Black and it should be included in Pokemon games in the future. Not only the regions should change but where you catch Pokemon. We keep getting the same forests but, what about catching Pokemon in space or in the sky?

4) Pokemon League

Ever since I saw the Pokemon League in the Pokemon tv show I always thought the Pokemon League should be a tournament with crowds rather than an isolated room with a trainer. Since the Gym Leaders are still the isolated room rite of passage than the Pokemon League could be a tournament and you wouldn't lose anything. Also the number of badges in the new region should be around 16 but, you should only need 8 to qualify for the Pokemon League Tournament. The reason for this is so players have a choice of what badges they want to get. Of course 4 or 5 of the badges are recommended to do in order because some Gym Leaders would be to strong for you.

5) Something really new

In Pokemon Silver the game added Pokemon Breeding, New Types, and a Day/ Night Cycle. In Pokemon Ruby Double Battles and Pokemon Effects were added. It just seems to me that before the Pokemon team used to innovate on their already innovative game and now we get variations of what they have already done. New starters would be a good start for example, Flying, Fighting, and Rock or maybe no starters at all. Replace HMs with new ones instead of adding on to the existing ones and make HMs moves independent of your move list. Maybe adding actions to battles like Paper Mario. Catching Pokemon could also be changed so it would be less random like a targeting system that would be more accurate depending on the ball used.

#1 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5472 posts) -

There's definitely been gradual improvements with each iteration, but I've long felt the franchise could do so much more. I'd love to see a more ambitious Pokemon game. There's so much potential, such as your suggestion of combining all the regions into one continuous adventure. It'd be nice if they focused less on making new pokemon and more on fleshing out the scope of the game.

It'd be great to make a portable and console version Pokemon game that speak to each other. Transferring saves between systems, creating a better online infrastructure for trading/ multiplayer features and allowing it to be much larger in scale. The transition into 3d makes me wish all the more for this.

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11714 posts) -

All of your ideas are things that I would approve of, but at this point I've resigned myself to the fact that Nintendo is content to throw in a handful of new pokemon, tweak some of the mechanics and call it good. Ergo, Pokemon isn't for me anymore, for as much as I will gush about how awesome Gold/Silver is.

#3 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

They need to overhaul the combat. The games get boring to play because everything is a one or two hit kill later in the game. Easily the worst combat system in any modern RPG.

#4 Edited by Mexican_Brownie (201 posts) -

I think you might might get most of the stuff you listed in X & Y.

It's all but confirmed that Sylveon is a new type of Pokemon, so that would again introduce some re-balancing to the type chart. And if the rumors are true, and Fairy type is real and immune to Dragon then holy shit.... The last time they added new types they added two, so maybe there will be two new ones in GenVI too?

Also, Masuda hinted at a new mechanic when they announced the games. "You will get stronger the more you battle together.", so there's that to look forward to. You never know, there could be some more big changes coming. I find it very interesting that the Pokedex is divided into three different geographical regions of Karos, maybe it implies some changes to the structure of the game?

I think it's obvious Black and White marked a new direction for the series as far as story is concerned. In Black & White, the story was more involved and had deeper themes. The story actually continued in BW2 with recurring characters and the like. So, I think from here on out the plot will take a bigger role in the game.

My one true wish, would be for them to make Hard mode available from the beginning. Other than that, I think the games are perfectly fine the way they are. Can't wait for X/Y!

#5 Posted by Bollard (5516 posts) -

Number 3 I would pay twice the price of a retail 3DS game for. It's the reason G/S are still the best games in the damn series.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4350 posts) -
#7 Edited by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

Really awesome post. Personally l think the combat needs freshened up, they need to add real time elements so the player can take more control of the Pokemon during battle.

#8 Posted by Hunter5024 (5667 posts) -

My wishlist looks something like this: Character Creation (they actually are planning customization that's so limited that I'm not sure why they even bothered), rethinking the whole dumb HM system, rebalancing of types (seriously, Grass is the worst, and both Steel and Dragon are totally ridiculous), overhaul of the breeding mechanics (I'm thinking there are different stalls, and rather than a text menu, use the touch screen in a more intuitive way), branching paths (like you suggested, alternate gym leaders, perhaps even story decisions), a greater general focus on story (B/W was a half step in this regard I would say), and as you said, multiple regions would certainly be nice. I'm not sure why they never revisited this. Although in some ways B/W2 scratched some of the same itches that the return to Kanto did for me.

#9 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@hunter5024: The newer information that came out revealed that you can change the characters clothes and one of the screenshots showed the female character with a totally different hairstyle, so there's definitely more customisation than we initially thought. According to rumour, HM's are totally gone and the new Fairy type (which may as well be confirmed at this point) seems to be addressing the balance confirms, sporting a resistance to Dragon and weakness to poison. Meaning it's tonned down the effectiveness of dragons and made some of the less useful types a bit more viable in the process.

A less linear region also seems somewhat likely. The gigantic Paris-type city seems to act as a hub, with all the main routes branching out from there.

#10 Posted by Bollard (5516 posts) -

@wintersnowblind: Well, they talked about how Kalos is large enough that the pokedex is split up into 3 separate sections. Hopefully you unlock them over time and it gives you more areas to explore. I doubt there will be any actual multi-regional action though.

#11 Edited by Hunter5024 (5667 posts) -

@wintersnowblind said:

@hunter5024: The newer information that came out revealed that you can change the characters clothes and one of the screenshots showed the female character with a totally different hairstyle, so there's definitely more customisation than we initially thought. According to rumour, HM's are totally gone and the new Fairy type (which may as well be confirmed at this point) seems to be addressing the balance confirms, sporting a resistance to Dragon and weakness to poison. Meaning it's tonned down the effectiveness of dragons and made some of the less useful types a bit more viable in the process.

A less linear region also seems somewhat likely. The gigantic Paris-type city seems to act as a hub, with all the main routes branching out from there.

I may have squealed a little bit when I read this.

#12 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I wish they'd change the meta game so as to make it less convoluted and RNG-y (EVs, IVs and all that shit). I dunno if that would drive the hardcore pokemaniacs nuts though. The HM system also needs an overhaul; it's so goddamn irritating having to keep an assortment of HM slaves in the wings in order to maximize the effectiveness of your core team and still be able to fully navigate the game's environments.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.