Should I Get Pokemon X Now?

#1 Posted by MikeLemmer (570 posts) -

Between Twitch Plays Pokemon and noticing Pokemon X/Y is on sale at my local gaming store, I'm thinking of picking it up and getting back into the series after 15 years. I'm wondering:

• Is this a good game to rejoin the series? Or should I wait for the next release?
  • How active is the online community? Will I be able to easily make trades & find battles over the Internet?
  • Do the online systems work with a wireless connection/router?
#2 Posted by indieslaw (354 posts) -

I have the same question.

#3 Edited by Jay_Ray (1109 posts) -

As someone who left the series because I couldn't devote the time needed to grind out levels this is the best one to jump into because of the stuff like exp. share. Plus having the ability to trade randomly shitty pokemon is thrilling when you by chance get an awesome one back

#4 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (282 posts) -

Question 1: It's all right. In comparison to Black/White and Black/White 2 it is seriously lacking in content. There's no difficulty settings anymore. Since you are given the Exp. Share early on in the game, it becomes seriously easy. The story itself is also quite poor in comparison to the Team Plasma from BW and BW2. It's a decent game and with the massive upgrade in graphics, you might enjoy it.

Question 2: The GTS (Global Trade Station) is horrid and I would recommend against using it. Even trying to get weak Pokemon that aren't in the game can be tough because people ask for ludicrous ones in return. You can even trade with randoms who are called passerbys or acquaintances if you have traded or battled with them before. There is also a new trade feature called Wonder Trade which allows to do a random trade. You deposit a Pokemon and so does your partner. You never know what you're going to get until it happens. A lot of the time you will get crap though.

There are also people asking for Pokemon that don't exist yet or can't even be traded through the GTS. Battles on the other hand, you will find lots of in the Battle Spot. There are four different kinds of battles. Single with three Pokemon each, Double with four each, Triple with six each, and Rotation Battles which I've never done.

Question 3: Yes. Like with BW and BW2, the game is compatible with WEP connections, WPA connections, and WPA 2 connections.

#5 Posted by MikeLemmer (570 posts) -

@crimsonavenger: Does BW still have an active community? Or is it basically a ghost town filled with hackers now?

#6 Edited by 49th (2783 posts) -

I bought Y recently after watching TPP. It's fine, it's a pokemon game. I was having fun for about 40 hours but now I'm dropping off again. If you haven't played pokemon for a while I'm sure you will enjoy it.

#7 Edited by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

Do it. Black and White was a better Pokemon game for people who already love Pokemon, but X/Y is a better Pokemon game for everybody else.

#8 Posted by Jinx1 (102 posts) -
  • Is this a good game to rejoin the series? It's very good, the graphics make up for the short comings in difficulty.

• Or should I wait for the next release? No.
  • How active is the online community? very.
  • Will I be able to easily make trades & find battles over the Internet? Yes, you can trade online, and wonder trade, a random trade between random people.
  • Do the online systems work with a wireless connection/router? Yes.

As for starting with b/w dont.... The online of all ds games and wii games is discontinued in may, because Nintendo is shutting them down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.