So these have to have every Pokemon right?

  • 75 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Kenobi (357 posts) -

This seems to be the next major step for Pokemon. Would it be too much to expect that all 600+ Pokemon will be on these games? It'd be a pretty big bummer that I wild have to play nds Pokemon for a 3ds game. Just writing this makes me realize, that's exactly what they expect us to do. It would encourage trading...

#2 Posted by JJOR64 (18887 posts) -

I don't think they have said anything at the moment. My guess is no, you will need the DS games to try to get all the Pokemans.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35829 posts) -

@Kenobi said:

It'd be a pretty big bummer that I wild have to play nds Pokemon for a 3ds game.

Well, yea. That's how Pokemon works. Nothing major happened from the Game Boy Color to the Advance, or from the Advance to the DS, so why should they change things for this? Especially when it's not that big an issue, what with backward compatibility and all?

#4 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

so why should they change things for this? Especially when it's not that big an issue, what with backward compatibility and all?

Because it is the worst game design ever imo. I shouldn't have to get out my outdated handheld and trade/transfer with myself because it's the only way to get X or Y Pokemon because it doesn't spawn in my new game. It is something they could easily allow and fix, yet they don't because I'm sure there's some evidence somewhere that suggests this design decision sells more copies of games.

That being said, would it be awesome if they did? Absolutely. Will they? I seriously doubt it.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (35829 posts) -

@DaemonBlack said:

I shouldn't have to get out my outdated handheld and trade/transfer with myself because it's the only way to get X or Y Pokemon because it doesn't spawn in my new game.

You could always trade online, or simply break out your 3DS, since it can play DS games and everything.

#6 Edited by Kenobi (357 posts) -

I know that all the other pokemon have required you to play previous generations. Nintendo's concern is this is really the first main Pokemon game that will play and look radically different from the others. Forcing players to go back to 2d sprites to catch all the Pokemon. So it will be like telling people who played Pokemon black/white to go back and play the original red/blue.

#7 Posted by Optix12 (609 posts) -

Considering I only played Pokemon Red and borrowed Gold from a friend to complete I dont have any way to obtain those pokemans. So to me that is kind of a deal breaker as seeing the original 150 or so in there would be awesome along with the new batch. Would there even be enough data space to hold all of them, and consider this is a new style of pokemon with tons of new assets, i would doubt they would do it in this game. The best bet would be to get a large handful of pokemon from each previous era to keep people happy.

#8 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Well, Black and White/2 had every Pokémon, including catchable previous gen legendaries. I don't see why they would go back.

#9 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Black and White 2 do no have all the Pokemon

#10 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

edit: alright theres like 180 missing. But they're mostly legendaries and starters.

#11 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

Gen IV is fine. Gen V is the problem.

Online
#12 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@SamStrife: NOBODY LIKES GEN IV!

also, V is the best it's been since I.

#13 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: NOBODY LIKES GEN IV!

I can name around a dozen GEN IV pokemon that are fine, maybe even double that if I'm feeling generous. Gen V though, there's like 5, if that.

Online
#14 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@SamStrife: Go to bed Sam!

Questioning my all powerful pokémanz knowledge!

#15 Posted by drac96 (665 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: NOBODY LIKES GEN IV!

Torterra, Empoleon, Gallade, and LUCARIO! Nobody likes Gen IV my ass.

#16 Posted by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

OG 150 THE BEST

and the only series ive played

#17 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: Go to bed Sam!

Questioning my all powerful pokémanz knowledge!

NEVER!

@drac96 said:

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: NOBODY LIKES GEN IV!

Torterra, Empoleon, Gallade, and LUCARIO! Nobody likes Gen IV my ass.

These are all quality and not even ones I considered as great Pokemon of Gen IV when I first thought of great Pokemon from Gen IV

Online
#18 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@drac96: I have no idea what the obsession with Lucario is. I hate that stupid...thing.

#19 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaemonBlack said:

I shouldn't have to get out my outdated handheld and trade/transfer with myself because it's the only way to get X or Y Pokemon because it doesn't spawn in my new game.

You could always trade online, or simply break out your 3DS, since it can play DS games and everything.

Trading online is tedious and risky, especially when certain pokemon need to be traded to evolve. Which means my only other option is to find someone locally (I'm 24 and the only one I know that plays) or to sit down with 2 DS's and trade with myself. Some people don't mind it, but I think most people agree that putting all of them on one cartridge would make for a better game.

#20 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@drac96: I have no idea what the obsession with Lucario is. I hate that stupid...thing.

You're a bad man. Go to bed.

Online
#21 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@SamStrife: MC. Hammérmon?

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (35829 posts) -

@DaemonBlack:

Wouldn't that weaken the sense of community, though? Without the necessity to trade for other Pokemon, you'd lose at least one thing holding the game's community together.

#23 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: MC. Hammérmon?

That's a Digimon dude, come on.

Online
#24 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@SamStrife: No way. See the É. Makes all the difference.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5056 posts) -

@DaemonBlack said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@DaemonBlack said:

I shouldn't have to get out my outdated handheld and trade/transfer with myself because it's the only way to get X or Y Pokemon because it doesn't spawn in my new game.

You could always trade online, or simply break out your 3DS, since it can play DS games and everything.

Trading online is tedious and risky, especially when certain pokemon need to be traded to evolve. Which means my only other option is to find someone locally (I'm 24 and the only one I know that plays) or to sit down with 2 DS's and trade with myself. Some people don't mind it, but I think most people agree that putting all of them on one cartridge would make for a better game.

This video does explain a rationale to why there is trading between multiple colors to get all the Pokemon from a generation. At least for the older Pokemon games.

#26 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: No way. See the É. Makes all the difference.

Oh damn, yeah I didn't notice that...my bad.

Online
#27 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@SamStrife: I think i'll take my monocle and jet pack, and scuttle on off now.

#28 Posted by Superkenon (1353 posts) -

The trading community is some kind of big deal or something, so I think they'll keep on doing what they've always done -- giving you a new set of Pokemon and a handful of classics.

As much as I like to 100% games, I've never worried about collecting every damn Pokemon from every generation. That's just a headache. I set my goal at simply catching all the newly-introduced monsters.

#29 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2284 posts) -
@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@drac96: I have no idea what the obsession with Lucario is. I hate that stupid...thing.

You're a bad man. Go to bed.

Lucario is trash. Bitch thinks he can just waltz in and be the next Mewtwo. 
 
On topic, yes you will inevitably need your DS to catch em all.
#30 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

1st Generation Pokemans will be day one DLC.

#31 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

Hopefully you wont need to bust out the DS games, but that seems unlikely.

I just want a god damn Quagsire.

#32 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

I kind of like the cross generation importing, in a weird way.
All it takes is for one guy to import his Infernape from Diamond and breed it with a ditto to have the new region overrun with Chimchars. It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where they go to Australia and end up accidentally taking back a frog.
 
The new generation will be even more interesting since everyone gets the game at the same time. Make sure you get a female starter so you can breed starters and trade them for a ton of useful pokemon. Gotta take advantage of that black market.

#33 Posted by cmblasko (1108 posts) -

So let's say that not all 10,000 Pokemon are in X/Y - then how do you get the old ones into the game? If I remember correctly in the DS games you would insert a GBA cartridge to import older Pokemon into Pal Park. As far as I know, there isn't a way to have 2 games inserted into the 3DS at once, so how would you get access to the Pokemon not present in X/Y?

#34 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

In that video they put out I believe they said some of the older Pokemon so I don't think it will be all of them. Personally I'm a big fan of generation II so I hope we get a lot of those.

#35 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

Gen IV is fine. Gen V is the problem.

Let's get real: G3 is the problem. G5 ain't exactly the best generation, but if you're going to call one of these games a problem, it's G3.

#36 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Ariketh said:

@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

Gen IV is fine. Gen V is the problem.

Let's get real: G3 is the problem. G5 ain't exactly the best generation, but if you're going to call one of these games a problem, it's G3.

Gen 3 has some of the best Pokemon going, don't be silly.

Online
#37 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Nah, people will just Action Replay them in and we'll trade Rattatas for Mewtwo.

Just like the good ol' days.

#38 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (266 posts) -

I haven't played Pokemon in foreverrrrr, so is it wrong I only care about seeing Gen1 stuff? Is it!?

#39 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

There's no point of discussion Pokemon between different generations. Everyone has different favourites and people tend to cling to ones they're most familiar with, particularly those who stopped playing after Gen1/2. We've already seen that the game includes a mix of Pokemon from the different generations, including Psyduck, Pikachu, Dratini, Litwick, Kirlia and Sneasel, so they're most likely going for a Black and White 2 approach of having a good variety of different Pokemon.

Anyone who's missing will have to be imported from the older games or traded via the GTS, which should be a much smoother experience without people having the ability to hack Pokemon. Also remember that after you have a Pokemon from someone else, you can breed it to receive more of the same type, if you're anal enough to want every Pokemon to have your own trainer ID.

I don't see why removing the trading/community aspects would make for a better game and regardless, at least they're not all going to be DLC where we have to pay $10 for each pack of Pokemon.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Just give me an 'Original Pokemans Only' mode. New Pokemen are all bullshit.

#41 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (266 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Just give me an 'Original Pokemans Only' mode. New Pokemen are all bullshit.

This guy knows what I'm talking about.

#42 Edited by Ariketh (606 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@Ariketh said:

@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

Gen IV is fine. Gen V is the problem.

Let's get real: G3 is the problem. G5 ain't exactly the best generation, but if you're going to call one of these games a problem, it's G3.

Gen 3 has some of the best Pokemon going, don't be silly.

You mean G1.

G2 isn't too bad, typically speaking, but G3 is where I stopped paying attention. Maybe it's an age thing though...? My brother really hated the Pokemon designs in G3 too.

G4 and G5 weren't as bad as G3 in my opinion (pokemon design-wise), but G6 has me interested mostly because it's going 3D, rather than being mostly top-down/sprite-based. I've tried to play through the other games, but I haven't actually beaten a game since Silver/Gold. I get to maybe the 3rd or 4th gym, but...

I've also tried playing through G3 multiple times, but that game just can't hold my interest. I have 0 interest in those pokemon. I think I got the the first gym twice...I always end up playing FireRed instead.

#43 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

@Ariketh said:

You mean G1.

G2 isn't too bad, typically speaking, but G3 is where I stopped paying attention. Maybe it's an age thing though...? My brother really hated the Pokemon designs in G3 too.

G4 and G5 weren't as bad as G3 in my opinion (pokemon design-wise), but G6 has me interested mostly because it's going 3D, rather than being mostly top-down/sprite-based. I've tried to play through the other games, but I haven't actually beaten a game since Silver/Gold. I get to maybe the 3rd or 4th gym, but...

I've also tried playing through G3 multiple times, but that game just can't hold my interest. I have 0 interest in those pokemon. I think I got the the first gym twice...I always end up playing FireRed instead.

Gen 5 is nothing more than a glorified pallet swap (haha that doubles as a pun) of Gen 1. It's lazy, uninspired and borderline insulting.

Gen 3 has plenty of awesome Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, Gen V has some greats too but it's not got half the Pokemon Gen 3 has.

Online
#44 Posted by DonutFever (3548 posts) -
@Ariketh said:

@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: well, it's close enough.

Nobody likes Gen IV anyway.

Gen IV is fine. Gen V is the problem.

Let's get real: G3 is the problem. G5 ain't exactly the best generation, but if you're going to call one of these games a problem, it's G3.

You're out of your damn mind. The first three generations are a-mazing.
#45 Posted by FLYmeatwad (154 posts) -

Do people try/care about getting all the Pokemon? I mean they dropped the "gotta catch 'em all" thin after Gen 2, right? Seems like Nintendo doesn't even care about people trying to collect all the Pokemon, so while it might be possible for all of them to be gathered I imagine it will take a decent amount of self trading, online help seeking, and in-store only events.

Online
#46 Posted by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -

It would be crazy if they put out a transfer tool to drag all your Pokemon kicking and screaming out of your DS game and into your 3DS game.

But that's probably way too difficult to do.

#47 Posted by TooWalrus (13128 posts) -

Going to different versions of the game to get unobtainable pokemon is like... a crucial part of Pokemon tradition, isn't it?

#48 Edited by StrainedEyes (1319 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

It would be crazy if they put out a transfer tool to drag all your Pokemon kicking and screaming out of your DS game and into your 3DS game.

But that's probably way too difficult to do.

I dunno. I feel like if they managed to figure it out between a GBA and DS, having both in one system at the same time. There has to be a way they could do something similar on the 3DS. They have an app store now, maybe some kind of transfer app that takes the data from the DS game and holds it hostage while you do whatever dumb mini-game the 3DS one has to transfer them over.

Though in actuality, I really just want a way to full transfer my entire in-game PC to the new one. Transferring 500+ pokemon in groups of 6 is a huge pain in the ass.

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5508 posts) -

I have a feeling they're going to leave some out. At the end of the Nintendo Direct event he specifically said you would be able to use "Some of" your old favorites. The fact that I can't catch every pokemon wouldn't bother me, what would bother me is if I couldn't transfer my old pokemon from the DS games.

Also Generation 4 totally sucks.

#50 Posted by Bollard (5202 posts) -

@SamStrife said:

@Canteu said:

@SamStrife: NOBODY LIKES GEN IV!

I can name around a dozen GEN IV pokemon that are fine, maybe even double that if I'm feeling generous. Gen V though, there's like 5, if that.

Oh you're talking about the actual Pokemon of that gen, not the quality of the games. Cause Gen IV games were dog shit. Gen V is the best the actual game has been since Gen II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.