Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Sorry 3DS, I just don't think it's working ou- Oh, hey Pokemon.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So obviously today marked Nintendo's Announcement of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, the start of the sixth generation of one of my favorite franchises of all time. I watched that Pokemon Direct thing on Youtube when I got home today and was very pleasantly surprised with what I had witnessed. 

Dem in battle graphics, man.
    As of this writing, I'm going through a major 3DS drought. In 2012, I bought a whooping zero 3DS retail games, and the only game I bought for the system was actually a DS game; Pokemon Black and White 2. I really enjoyed the game (though I haven't beat it yet, got the 8 badges but didn't do much after that) even though it wasn't a leap forward by any means. It was just another Pokemon game with a few new things to fart around with. 

I still have the same five retail games since I got the thing back in July of 2011. Street Fighter, Ocarina, Star Fox, Mario Kart, and Mario 3D Land. Of those I do occasionally play Mario 3D Land because I'm still trying to collect all the star coins in the secret world and Mario Kart online because the community sucks major Pokeflute at the game and I get first place every time. 

My first major loyalty test to my 3DS came when someone jokingly offered to buy it from me for $100. What shocked me was that I'd actually kinda considered it, even if the person wasn't serious. I just really have not gotten the use out of the system as I had been lead to believe. 

Still, there are a few games from last year I kinda want to play:  

Kid Icarus Uprising: At first I thought this game looked like shit but I saw it appear on quite a numerous lot of game of the year lists. Which makes me thing I missed out on a pretty good game.

Virtues Last Reward: Would buy this in a heartbeat but I need to play 999 first. 

As cool as the game sounds I still think the box art sucks.

I also feel that I'd like my 3DS more if countries outside Japan didn't get the shit end of the stick so much. I mean Japanese owners get fucking Project X Zone, Ex Troopers, and that one Square Enix game with the fairy or whatever. (Can't remember the name but it looks good) 

That brings me to Pokeman X and Y. 

I didn't expect to be as impressed as I was with that trailer. I think what got me the most was the part where they showed off the battling, and how awesome the Pokemon look. Perhaps the most exciting thing for me, is for the inevitable import option and see how all my favorite Pokemon look.

I have mixed opinions on the starters. Chespin looks like a stupid hybrid between Bidoof and Oshawott. Fenneken looks okay but Pokemon already has so many goddamn fire dogs that it just doesn't interest me. Froakie is who I see myself starting with, as I do a lot of research on reptiles and amphibians. 
    D'aw. 
    D'aw. 

And so I end this seemingly objective-less blog to just say that once again, Pokemon has renewed my hope. Just as it had done with the GBA and DS before it, Pokemon X and Y is as of now my most anticipated title of the year. Yeah, I know Pokemon Z will probably come out the following Spring, but whatever. I'm just happy I'll finally have a good reason to have kept my 3DS. Too bad unless Luigi's Mansion comes out it will be a long 10 months.  

Oh and Nintendo should make Pokemon Snap 2 for the Wii-U. Okay bye.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So obviously today marked Nintendo's Announcement of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, the start of the sixth generation of one of my favorite franchises of all time. I watched that Pokemon Direct thing on Youtube when I got home today and was very pleasantly surprised with what I had witnessed. 

As of this writing, I'm going through a major 3DS drought. In 2012, I bought a whooping zero 3DS retail games, and the only game I bought for the system was actually a DS game; Pokemon Black and White 2. I really enjoyed the game (though I haven't beat it yet, got the 8 badges but didn't do much after that) even though it wasn't a leap forward by any means. It was just another Pokemon game with a few new things to fart around with. 

I still have the same five retail games since I got the thing back in July of 2011. Street Fighter, Ocarina, Star Fox, Mario Kart, and Mario 3D Land. Of those I do occasionally play Mario 3D Land because I'm still trying to collect all the star coins in the secret world and Mario Kart online because the community sucks major Pokeflute at the game and I get first place every time. 

My first major loyalty test to my 3DS came when someone jokingly offered to buy it from me for $100. What shocked me was that I'd actually kinda considered it, even if the person wasn't serious. I just really have not gotten the use out of the system as I had been lead to believe. 

Still, there are a few games from last year I kinda want to play:  

Kid Icarus Uprising: At first I thought this game looked like shit but I saw it appear on quite a numerous lot of game of the year lists. Which makes me thing I missed out on a pretty good game.

Virtues Last Reward: Would buy this in a heartbeat but I need to play 999 first. 

I also feel that I'd like my 3DS more if countries outside Japan didn't get the shit end of the stick so much. I mean Japanese owners get fucking Project X Zone, Ex Troopers, and that one Square Enix game with the fairy or whatever. (Can't remember the name but it looks good) 

That brings me to Pokeman X and Y. 

I didn't expect to be as impressed as I was with that trailer. I think what got me the most was the part where they showed off the battling, and how awesome the Pokemon look. Perhaps the most exciting thing for me, is for the inevitable import option and see how all my favorite Pokemon look.

I have mixed opinions on the starters. Chespin looks like a stupid hybrid between Bidoof and Oshawott. Fenneken looks okay but Pokemon already has so many goddamn fire dogs that it just doesn't interest me. Froakie is who I see myself starting with, as I do a lot of research on reptiles and amphibians. 
    D'aw. 
    D'aw. 

And so I end this seemingly objective-less blog to just say that once again, Pokemon has renewed my hope. Just as it had done with the GBA and DS before it, Pokemon X and Y is as of now my most anticipated title of the year. Yeah, I know Pokemon Z will probably come out the following Spring, but whatever. I'm just happy I'll finally have a good reason to have kept my 3DS. Too bad unless Luigi's Mansion comes out it will be a long 10 months.  

Oh and Nintendo should make Pokemon Snap 2 for the Wii-U. Okay bye.
    Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lavapotamus

I was thrilled that they finally dropped sprites in favor of 3D models, but beyond the aesthetics, I don't see signs of change from the trailer that I was hoping for. Movement still seems to be grid-based, the battles still seem to play out as they always have...I'm just not sold on X and Y being more than visuals. Of course, it's just the first trailer. I'd love to be wrong and have them show some compelling new gameplay elements during E3 or something.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By blueinferno

The 3DS drought is depressing, the system has so much potential too. Aw well, at least there's a few games coming out this year, including this, that I want to play.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By killacam

im happy with the 3ds mostly because i never had a ds. but 2013 has a bunch of gems on the horizon, straight outta japan.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ducksworth

@blueinferno said:

The 3DS drought is depressing, the system has so much potential too. Aw well, at least there's a few games coming out this year, including this, that I want to play.

It's not that bad. I mean in terms of "big names" the 3DS has done much better in its first two years compared to the DS.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeF

KIU is probably one of the funniest games of 2012. Just FYI :)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

People that day the 3DS is in a drought make me chuckle.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @Hailinel Say, rather. Fucking autocorrect.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

@blueinferno said:

I don't think the 3DS is in a drought anymore. Vita on the other hand...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    @JJOR64 said:

@blueinferno said:

Besides Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion there isn't really anything that appeals to me, so the system might not be in drought for you guys, but it is for me.

For the record, what else is even coming to the 3DS? (Besides the games mentioned above and Animal Crossing)
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Turambar

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Hailinel said:
    @JJOR64 said:

@blueinferno said:

Besides Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion there isn't really anything that appeals to me, so the system might not be in drought for you guys, but it is for me. For the record, what else is even coming to the 3DS? (Besides the games mentioned above and Animal Crossing)

Both Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem: Awakening are on the horizon. And this might get me to buy a second 3ds.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Turambar

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Hailinel said:
    @JJOR64 said:

@blueinferno said:

Besides Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion there isn't really anything that appeals to me, so the system might not be in drought for you guys, but it is for me. For the record, what else is even coming to the 3DS? (Besides the games mentioned above and Animal Crossing)

Both Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem: Awakening are on the horizon. And this might get me to buy a second 3ds.

Holy shit that looks great. Is it confirmed for NA?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Turambar: Holy shit I completely forgot about Fire Emblem. Chalk that one on my "To get list." 

And damn that 3DS is sexy.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JJOR64

@Turambar said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Hailinel said:
    @JJOR64 said:

@blueinferno said:

Was about to mention those games. Unchained Blades was also just released on the eShop. Also Castlevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers, and Shin Megami Tensei 4 if it comes out this year for the US. Also whatever Nintendo announces at E3 as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64: Thanks for that list, Unchained Blades looks pretty cool. I'm glad the eShop is moving forward.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64

@Turtlebird95 said:

@JJOR64: Thanks for that list, Unchained Blades looks pretty cool. I'm glad the eShop is moving forward.

Yep. The eShop is getting better. Plus there are all the Virtual Console games on there as well.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By evanbower

@Turtlebird95: Considered playing Professor Layton or Paper Mario? Theatrhythm is also cool if Final Fantasy music does anything for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evanbower said:

@Turtlebird95: Considered playing Professor Layton or Paper Mario? Theatrhythm is also cool if Final Fantasy music does anything for you.

I'd maybe give Layton a try, but I'd like to play some of the DS titles first. Paper Mario perhaps if I can find it for cheap. Doesn't Theatrhythm have a demo? If so I'll have to update my 3DS and check it out.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJOR64

@Turtlebird95: Theatrhythm does have a demo.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Turambar said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

@Hailinel said:
    @JJOR64 said:

@blueinferno said:

And here I thought I was the only one thinking about buying that bundle even though I have a perfectly working 3DS. Hear there will be an XL bundle too. Will probably end up getting that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel
    @MariachiMacabre Yep. Nintendo confirmed it today.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Turambar

@MariachiMacabre: @Turtlebird95: That is the NA packaging. The Japanese version has a different logo.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I know this might sound crazy but I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL. Being on a tablet has made the screens on the regular 3DS seem too small for me. Of course I probably wouldn't get one for awhile, but is it a worthy investment? 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJOR64

@Turtlebird95 said:

So I know this might sound crazy but I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL. Being on a tablet has made the screens on the regular 3DS seem too small for me. Of course I probably wouldn't get one for awhile, but is it a worthy investment?

Yes. I have a 3DS and a 3DS XL is the XL is far better in every way possible. The only down side is that the speakers are not as loud as the original 3DS.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Turtlebird95 said:

I'm trying to convince myself of the same thing actually. My biggest justification for it so far is that I hardly take my 3DS anywhere and usually just play around the house.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#26  Edited By jeffrud

@Turambar said: And this might get me to buy a second 3ds.

Goddamn it, I was seriously thinking of doing a Vita this year until I saw that. HOLY SHIT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

Yes. I have a 3DS and a 3DS XL is the XL is far better in every way possible. The only down side is that the speakers are not as loud as the original 3DS.

That's fine with me. I could always plug in some headphones if I want to hear it better.

@Joeyoe31: Same. I seldom take it anywhere and even when I do I hardly play it. That's okay with me though because most games I play on the 3DS are games I'd like to be able to concentrate on.
    evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By evanbower

@JJOR64 said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

All true. I've had both and prefer the XL in every way. Even the buttons have a more satisfying feel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.