Today's CAD strip got me thinking...

• 82 results
#1 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

This really got me thinking. Yeah, a CAD strip, I know. More specifically, the part about a "proper console version". Does this echo the feelings of anyone? Or is it simply the usual fanboyistic (and thus the word exists now) idea that handhelds are not "real" gaming machines?

I've got say, I don't think I agree with the need of a "proper console version". I have to assume that Tim (CAD's author) is talking about a "core" Pokémon game, but on the Wii U. That is to say, something not like Pokémon Stadium, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness or Pokémon Colosseum. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having, you know, pocket monsters? Much of the appeal of the series has been, for me, taking my game anywhere I go. Being forced to sit down in front of a TV to play it breaks the experience for me.

That being said... the idea of a game being "split" into a 3DS version and WiiU version does seem intriguing. Give the players who want a console version a spruced up Y2 version that's fully compatible with the standard 3DS X2 version. That would be a compromise I could get behind.

So, what's your take on this? Do you think a console version of a "core" Pokémon game is worth it? Or do you want the series to stay handheld-focused exclusively?

#2 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (527 posts) -

CAD is still terrible, it seems.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12391 posts) -
#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

"Today's CAD strip got me thinking..."

I... never thought I'd see this day.

#5 Edited by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

What part of that was terrible exactly? I've always thought a majority of the CAD strips are pretty clever and funny.

#6 Edited by evanbower (1216 posts) -

Yeah, I wouldn't turn one down, but I also can't say I'm dying for a console version. I can't see what the series would gain (other than looking nicer? Which I suspect is the reason some people want it to happen?) But the series was designed around the idea of a portable gaming device.. I think people might even learn that certain ideas which make Pokemon great as a portable ("I've got 10 minutes on this bus, guess I'll train some Pokemon") might not be as entertaining when you're sitting on your couch.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (9468 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: I think many people do just prefer console titles; though, many people like both. Since I'm someone who likes consoles and handhelds, I have wanted a Pokemon title on console for years, and now they could have some parity with the 3DS version. Play at home and then easily copy your save to the 3DS so you can play on the go. The console version could have its own story and better graphics, and it could use the Wii U's screen to handle all sorts of things. I think it could really work well and give gamers the best of both worlds.

#8 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

Why don't people count XD and Colosseum as full console Pokemon games? That's what they are!

#9 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: because they are watered down versions of the handheld games

#10 Posted by byterunner (319 posts) -

@yoshimitz707: because capturing pokemon is bullshit in that game and there is a very limited number of them, and no gym leaders is weaksauce

#11 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Didn't that talentless hack end that fucking comic like a month ago.

I thought the world was a better place.

Now you bring me this news.

God dammit.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

What part of that was terrible exactly? I've always thought a majority of the CAD strips are pretty clever and funny.

one word; abortion

two more words; not clever

three more works; terrible and badumb.

(seriously even goddamn penny arcade is 10 times the webcomic CAD is and penny arcade sucks)

#13 Edited by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

@TruthTellah said:

"Today's CAD strip got me thinking..."

I... never thought I'd see this day.

I know, I know. I'm the first to acknowledge that CAD is pretty shitty. I wonder why I'm still subscribed to its RSS. I guess it doesn't do that much harm and it makes me giggle once in a blue moon.

@Terramagi said:

Didn't that talentless hack end that fucking comic like a month ago.

I thought the world was a better place.

Now you bring me this news.

God dammit.

I'm a terrible person. Did you read the final arc? It was mind-blowing. In a spectacularly crappy way: Ethan is taken to the future by Future Ethan, who informs him that Zeke has enslaved mankind. Future Ethan is a dick and is shot dead. After many trials and tribulations, Ethan sacrifices himself to save the past by destroying the time machine. How exactly he prevented Zeke from going crazy, I don't know. Talk about some LOST-level writing there.

@BeachThunder: I see what you did there, sir. You're a terrible person and I congratulate you for that.

Now that this is out of the way, let's go back to the topic in hand :P

#14 Posted by Philedius (204 posts) -

I've always liked the fact that the pokemon games are on a handheld, but to be honest, most of the times I play handheld games I'm sitting in the chair by my PC. I don't think I have played a pokemon game anywhere else than in my room since when I was playing Pokemon Gold on my Gameboy Pocket back in the days.

#15 Posted by DystopiaX (5359 posts) -

I'd rather see changes they could make to the handheld game (more "casual" postgame content, more/better story, sidequests and stuff) that are standard to the RPG genre before saying they'd definitely need a console release. I'm hopeful because they have been making some pretty decent changes to my first 2 gripes in B/W2, but I was wishing for that shit back in like Generation 2. Shouldn't be that hard, and it's not even like an "unnecessary reinventing of the formula" that gets brought up whenever people mention pokemon changes.

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

Well this thread spiraled into a bullshit hate thread quickly and pointlessly. Bravo, everyone. I don't even like CAD but maybe make an attempt to stick to the topic at end.

#17 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

one word; abortion

(seriously even goddamn penny arcade is 10 times the webcomic CAD is and penny arcade sucks)

I haven't read in a long while. What happened to his main characters and that robot? Does he still write them?

#18 Edited by Ghostiet (5305 posts) -

@BeachThunder: Darth wasn't aborted. Your joke is a miscarriage of humor in this context.

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

Because a) it utilizes too many words, b) the punchline is once again violence, c) there's the terrible art consisting of wacky faces and featureless backgrounds, and d) the points he raises are moot. Pokemon appeared on consoles, there's a reason why the starter pokemons have these three elements - sure, there's the whole metagame and big focus on min-maxing, but the primary target for these games are kids, and fire/grass/water are a good beginning point since they have the most natural "rock-paper-scissors" relationship. There's also his blogpost, where his proposed "innovation" is including more griding into the games by introducing items and armor. To finish things off, Buckley did another strip some time back about Black/White where he got everything wrong about the games/series and admitted almost immediately in his post that he never played a single Pokemon game.

As to the rest of CAD being clever, let me show you a strip from the "reB^Uted" series a few weeks back.

It's basically pure Buckley in a condensed form. Terrible art utilizing copypasted GIS backgrounds, too many words explaining the joke, the B^U-face, using his characters as filibusters while not having them do anything interesting in a situation that could be solved through narration. And also fucking relevance - it blatantly shows how Buckley a) doesn't play games and b) doesn't follow gaming outside of LoL, since 90% of his jokes are like this, they are based on boring shit you can get out of playing the first 30 minutes of a game or looking at three screenshots: co-op is not a new thing, since there's Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light and the multiplayer they are adding isn't a fucking rumor. And who the fuck has made jokes about Lara's tits since, I don't know, 1999? She's normal-looking in this game to boot. He at least could have given her larger ones if he's gonna make this joke. Not to mention the fact that there was a humongous damn controversy around the game he could spin something meaningful about, but that would require actual effort and, you know, being interested in games. And once again, the common Buckley punchline - it's either violence or sexism. 

Also, Paris Hilton. Don't fuck with us. Loss. Her Vows. Strangle. Abbygate. The ending of the series before he reB^Uted. Just take those keywords and google them with "CAD" at the end. The list fucking piles up. Loss is the worst.

@JoeyRavn said:

I know, I know. I'm the first to acknowledge that CAD is pretty shitty. I wonder why I'm still subscribed to its RSS. I guess it doesn't do that much harm and it makes me giggle once in a blue moon.

I know I do because of the mock threads on Something Awful. I should get an account there just for that, but I'm holding back until he releases The New Adventures of Manchild O'Hairbird and his sidekick, Straight Man.

When it comes to the OP, I don't know if it would really sell. I could see some WiiU Pokemon game coming out that would somehow interconnect directly with the 3DS game, but a WiiU version of that sort seems redundant.

#19 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Animasta said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

one word; abortion

I haven't read in a long while. What happened to his main characters and that robot? Does he still write them?

The story with Ethan and Friends has ended (he has hinted they might come back in the future, but as a reboot if they do). Right now, the comic focuses mostly on one-strip jokes with the Player Characters as the main characters.

#20 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Animasta said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

one word; abortion

The story with Ethan and Friends has ended (he has hinted they might come back in the future, but as a reboot if they do). Right now, the comic focuses mostly on one-strip jokes with the Player Characters as the main characters.

Oh did it end a long time ago?

#21 Edited by Ghostiet (5305 posts) -
@LiquidPrince
Nope. It ended November 23rd. Now he's doing one-offs where he's pretending to develop the Player characters and he'll be rolling out a rebooted Ethan comic in the near future. That ending - that entire arc, in fact - and the resulting epilogue is something to behold.
#22 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@FlarePhoenix said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Animasta said:

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

one word; abortion

Oh did it end a long time ago?

No it ended November 24th. I like CAD, and I wish people who didn't like it could just accept they don't like it. I don't get how this webcomic somehow invokes so much rage in people that the simple mention of its presence is enough to force them to attack it as if them seeing or even hearing about it is going to cause them to fall ill otherwise. I wish we lived in a world where people just went "I don't like this, and that's cool, so I'm not going to engage in conversation about it. It's not hurting me, and I can pretty much control my exposure to it, so good luck to the people who actually like it".

Of course, I also wish for a Gundam and to be privy to, if not a part of, a totally impromptu but somehow choreographed song and dance number made up totally on the fly. Somehow both of those seem more likely...

#23 Posted by chrissedoff (2166 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix: It's easier for people to get mad about CAD because its creator is a thin-skinned hack who is alleged to have tried to seduce underage girls. Also, it's just kind of fascinating how crummy the comic is and has always been, and yet there's a lot of otherwise-normal people who eat it with a spoon. It's weird.

#24 Posted by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

It was the whole thing for me personally.

#25 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

The problem with changing the starting type is the rock paper scissors aspect to it. The only other combo I can think with the same rock paper scissors element to it would be Psychic>Dark>Fighting. I honestly can't think of another.

#26 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@chrissedoff said:

@FlarePhoenix: It's easier for people to get mad about CAD because its creator is a thin-skinned hack who is alleged to have tried to seduce underage girls. Also, it's just kind of fascinating how crummy the comic is and has always been, and yet there's a lot of otherwise-normal people who eat it with a spoon. It's weird.

*shrugs* People who play sports professionally are often accused of all sorts of unspeakable acts, and, in my opinion, sports are "crummy" but "otherwise-normal" people eat them with a spoon. I don't go around to everyone who likes sports telling them how wrong they are. Tell me, would you like it if everyone kept attacking something you like? I'm not saying everyone has to love anything, but I just wish people could just go "I don't like this, but that's okay" and just move on with it. Don't get me wrong, if there is an interesting discussion to be had I'm all for it, but the amount of crap placed on CAD is unreasonable.

#27 Posted by l4wd0g (2017 posts) -

Didn't he expose himself to an underage girl? Tim Buckley is a classy guy.

#28 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

@thabigred said:

The problem with changing the starting type is the rock paper scissors aspect to it. The only other combo I can think with the same rock paper scissors element to it would be Psychic>Dark>Fighting. I honestly can't think of another.

Psychic>Dark>Fighting wouldn't really work because Dark is immune to Psychic not just strong against it. However, I still question why the rock-paper-scissors aspect of it needs to exist. When you first battle your rival, you both only have access to Normal attacks and by the time you face your rival with attacks specific to your starter's type you've played enough of the game that you should have picked up on the whole strength and weakness thing long before then.

Also,

http://pokemondb.net/pokebase/21931/how-many-type-triangles-are-there-like-the-starter-pokemon

lists all the type triangles that could work, if they really needed to stick to that.

#29 Edited by Ghostiet (5305 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix

It's mostly because he's such an asshole with an overinflated ego who never develops in any way. People are able to stand guys like Gabe & Tycho because they end up being lovable douchebags who do a lot of good and respect their fans. Buckley was extremely abusive of his fanbase - the most egregious example was when he created a WoW guild because PvP and PA did it and then he deleted it in a drunken rage for no reason. He's also very shitty about criticism and frequently bans people who give constructive advice and criticism to his comics. There are also legends about his behavior at cons. There's a reason he's never invited anywhere else apart from Connecticon.

A good contrast for Buckley and CAD is Scot DeWitt from Fanboys. Something Awful mocked his comic heavily. What did DeWitt do? He took a break, read through the mocking and critiques and then relaunched the comic with new art and better storytelling and now it's actually pretty good. A lot of people in the SA threads were excited when Buckley ended the comic and decided to reboot it because they expected him to pull off the same thing.

By the way, the evolutions of the starters from X/Y are going for the Psychic-Dark-Fighting combo.

#30 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

A big part of the Pokemon series has always been the fact they're portable games, making it easy to trade and battle with other people. True, with so many online features these days, that's not really as important, but playing online with someone isn't really the same as a face to face experience and I'm not really sure how it would be such a drastic leap forward to have it on a console anyway. The online features already exist on the DS, so all you'd be doing is sacrificing the local trading stuff. The graphics would be a bit better on a console though, I guess?

As for the starters, what would changing the starting trio types achieve? Other than change for the sake of change. Fire/Grass/Water form the basic rock/scissors/paper formation, making it easy to teach new players about advantages and disadvantages and they have the bonus of being three types that are generally effective against most types (except their obvious weaknesses). Giving you a dark type, for example, would be problematic, because many of their moves are weak, don't actually do attack damage or are completely ineffective against certain types. They have their advantages, but wouldn't make for a good all round starter Pokemon.

I feel like I've been defending the series a lot lately, so I will say that there are definitely areas of these games I want to see improved, there are certain aspects of them that do bug me a lot, it just seems that many of the suggestions people come up with are bad, ill conceived or just completely idiotic. Most likely because they're coming from people who don't really play the games (or at least haven't since the Red/Blue days) and are just spouting the typical "wouldn't it be cool if...".

#31 Posted by Abendlaender (2887 posts) -

So, as a person who really, really, REALLY loved Pokemon at one point (played Red and Gold and I still adore the two games, but then I kinda stopped) I have to say, that Pokemon is a portable IP for me. I have zero interest in a "proper" version of the game and frankly I don't understand why people want it. For me there are games that just fit better on a handheld like Layton, Ace Attorney and Pokemon. Nobody would ever complain about Skyrim not being on a handheld right? So why do it here?

#32 Edited by LackingSaint (1853 posts) -

Is it just impossible for this guy to make a point in his comic without making half the freaking thing text-boxes? How about just "In 3D." "3D? That's way more D's than we use! Madness!" rather than "But this time we're using three dimensions." "WHAT?! That's fifty percent more dimensions than we usually use! This is madness!" It's not hard to whittle down your comic's script to its base, and it stops it being a bit pile of wordswordswords like in this comic.

#33 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

So, as a person who really, really, REALLY loved Pokemon at one point (played Red and Gold and I still adore the two games, but then I kinda stopped) I have to say, that Pokemon is a portable IP for me. I have zero interest in a "proper" version of the game and frankly I don't understand why people want it. For me there are games that just fit better on a handheld like Layton, Ace Attorney and Pokemon. Nobody would ever complain about Skyrim not being on a handheld right? So why do it here?

Red and Gold ... those are the kings. I think what the series lacks is a world you can believe in. Fuck the Pokemon, there's enough already. Too many actually, including a metric shitload of bad ones. Ice-cream Pokemon? Garbage bag Pokemon? LANTERN POKEMON?!

Make the world a better place to explore. You should feel isolated in the caves, or tiny in a huge city... and work on the story! If Pixar can write a compelling story about a fish trying to find another fish why can't we have another good Pokemon story? (For the record, I really liked Gold/Silver's story ... Team Rocket felt evil, teaming up with Lance brought back memories of the old world and fighting the original trainer from he first game was such a cool nod to the fans).

/sigh... why do we set ourselves up for this shit? Nintendo are always such a letdown... (on a side note, I kinda liked Pokemon Pearl and HeartGold was a great remake... but I stand by my points)

...and piss of the HMs for godsake.

#34 Posted by Abendlaender (2887 posts) -

@PandaBear:

I think I kinda figured out why I love Red in particular so goddam much. One word: Mew.

It was fucking crazy, cause at this time I wasn't allowed to use the internet and also the internet was not as "evolved" as it is today. So hearing all the myths about this Pokemon, searching the entire world fur clues (even though there are none) and trying every stupid thing somebody told you? It was freaking amazing. Not going on the MS Anne (I still remember the name of the fucking boat, thats how much I love this game) to surf around much later and discover a secret truck that does.....nothing at all? Amazing

The internet ruined secrets...*sigh*

I wish developers would put more secret (and I mean really secret) stuff in their games, like the Splinter Cell Seal stuff. Just give the player a few disjointed clues that there might be something over the course of the game (without mentioning that they are related) and see what happens. Well, back to topic.

btw. I also agree that there are just waaaaaay to many Pokemon. They should just restart the whole world, start with 150 completly new Pokemon and thats it. Also, I want some recongition for having three legendary Pokemons in my team, goddammit! See, this is what happens. I really didn't care for Pokemon at all, but talking about Red and Gold makes me feel so....nostalgic that now I'm kinda excited for a new one

#35 Posted by FTomato (233 posts) -

I thought that you could still only move in 4 directions, so it's not really 3D, just a different camera angle? Black and White (and maybe previous ones, I haven't been following) were already polygonal.

#36 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Pokemon needs a new combat system to make the jump to consoles, a prettier or bigger version of the handheld games would be nice but... meh

#37 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@thabigred said:

Psychic>Dark>Fighting wouldn't really work because Dark is immune to Psychic not just strong against it. However, I still question why the rock-paper-scissors aspect of it needs to exist. When you first battle your rival, you both only have access to Normal attacks and by the time you face your rival with attacks specific to your starter's type you've played enough of the game that you should have picked up on the whole strength and weakness thing long before then.

Also,

http://pokemondb.net/pokebase/21931/how-many-type-triangles-are-there-like-the-starter-pokemon

lists all the type triangles that could work, if they really needed to stick to that.

There are million of kids who buy a pokemon game, and it's their first RPG they've ever played, let alone first pokemon game. The triangle system is in place specifically to teach players about the strengths and weaknesses.

#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@Abendlaender: Black and White had 150 new Pokemon and didn't allow you to catch or trade in any of the older ones until you'd beaten the main story. I think that's as close as you'll get to something like that and people still complain about the fact we have an ice cream Pokemon and a rubbish bag, despite the fact the original games had things like a magnet, and egg and one that was literally just a seal. I think Pokemon suffers from fans with nostalgia glasses more than any other gaming franchise.

In regards to Mew, it is worth pointing out that the 3DS hasn't been hacked yet, so any secret Pokemon they include will actually be secret this time. They could possibly even make them DLC, which would let them add new Pokemon at any time and stop them from leaking if the system is eventually hacked. The worldwide release date also gives us western fans a chance to play through the games before everything has been found out or revealed by Japanese players. It'll be the first time we can play through the games without already knowing about every single new Pokemon.

#39 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (527 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Well this thread spiraled into a bullshit hate thread quickly and pointlessly. Bravo, everyone. I don't even like CAD but maybe make an attempt to stick to the topic at end.

The guy 1) referenced that people hate CAD, 2) put CAD in the thread title, and 3) posted an entire CAD comic. Everyone talking about CAD was on topic. By comparison, Pokemon ISN'T in the thread title, which really makes it the secondary subject.

It was entirely possible to not reference CAD and talk about Pokemon, but the OP didn't want to do that.

But you, rather than sticking to the topic, chose to make a meta commentary that never contributes anything to the main discussion. Bravo.

#40 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8605 posts) -

Is it jealous hate around here? Sure sounds like it. Don't like the comic just move on. This "I hate CAD' thing is as old as the bloody internet by now. Get over it.

On topic: But isn't Nintendo the master of not giving fans what it wants? We still want a new Earthbound, we've wanted a proper Pokemon 3D since forever, another 3D Mario would be great instead of a platformer again no? How about some Star Fox or F-Zero? I'd be happy when it happens but really, I have no clue if it will even happen in my lifetime.

#41 Posted by Mirado (1050 posts) -

@FlarePhoenix said:

@chrissedoff said:

*shrugs* People who play sports professionally are often accused of all sorts of unspeakable acts, and, in my opinion, sports are "crummy" but "otherwise-normal" people eat them with a spoon. I don't go around to everyone who likes sports telling them how wrong they are. Tell me, would you like it if everyone kept attacking something you like? I'm not saying everyone has to love anything, but I just wish people could just go "I don't like this, but that's okay" and just move on with it. Don't get me wrong, if there is an interesting discussion to be had I'm all for it, but the amount of crap placed on CAD is unreasonable.

Your comparison doesn't work. Those people at least play sports well; you might not appreciate the sport, but you can't deny they are good at said sport.

He isn't funny. He isn't comedic. The text is too drawn out, the punchlines are either non-existent or overused. Take this comic in the OP; what is the joke? That Nintendo is so resistant to change that a man's head explodes from it? He blows 100 words getting to the punchline, and there's nothing to it. It's been done before and done better. Look at that Laura Croft comic. The punchline is a boob joke, when the one thing that the devs are trying to do is make her seem more realistic this time around. Even if they weren't, again, that's the same Laura Croft joke from 15 years ago. He doesn't seem in touch with his subject matter.

I don't give a shit if people enjoy CAD, but I cannot understand where the comedy stems from. It's not absurdist enough, it isn't insightful enough, or clever enough, or well timed or even well written. I'd lay off of CAD-bashing if someone who enjoys it can tell me what aspects of it make it funny to them. Then I'd be happy to just agree to disagree.

#42 Posted by Nikoran (165 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@Cretaceous_Bob said:

CAD isn't funny at all.

#43 Posted by sgjackson (529 posts) -

The most depressing part about this thread was realizing that CAD "ending" didn't mean the strip shutting down completely.

#44 Posted by LikeaSsur (1586 posts) -

@Ghostiet: Did Buckley push you in the mud when you were kids?

#45 Edited by Ghostiet (5305 posts) -
@LikeaSsur said:

@Ghostiet: Did Buckley push you in the mud when you were kids?

Nothing that drastic, he just wrote my name above his dick and sent me a picture of that.
#46 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

CAD sucks.

Anyways, I do feel that way with just about all handhelds. I don't buy them and there are a few games I would like that they get but it's not worth it. I would just sit in my house and play the games. It's a shame. I feel this way about the new Animal Crossing as well, though I'm sure there will be a Wii-U version eventually. But will I buy a Wii-U...

I think the issue is just particularly glaring for Pokemon because they just won't do a console version. All the other series have tried both ways I believe. Even Smash Bros is going to be on 3DS.

#47 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

Yeah, I think CAD's generally pretty poor. Anywho, I think Pokemon is probably still better suited to the handheld; being able to take the game anywhere and play it in short bursts, easily play it with your friends face-to-face, and casually play it while other stuff is going on around you just seems better suited to what that game is.

#48 Edited by pyrodactyl (2341 posts) -

Invisible walls (which I agree, are terrible half the time) had a suprisingly in dept and reasoned argument on this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/05u97c/invisible-walls-episode-238--initiating-2013 from the 41 min mark.

And I totaly agree with their conclusion: Nintendo should be putting a lot of money behind a console pokemon game with great production values and they should have done that 2 years ago so they could announce that game alongside the X and Y games. That game would have sold a bunch of WiiUs.

An open world, 3D, great looking, fun pokemon action RPG (action RPG genre because the living room experience needs to be more flashy than tactical menu based combat) on the WiiU would be the best idea for selling the console. Put enough talented people and money behind it and you could make the combat look like tactical version of the TV show. Cerebral yet action-eeh. I would buy a WiiU if they annouced a game half as exciting as this.

But no, as usual, Nintendo is playing it safe with their core franchises and pissing all of that great potential away. It's decisions like this that turned me from a nintendo kid into a sinical hater of the company.

#49 Posted by DarthOrange (3890 posts) -

Yes a cross buy Wii U/3DS Pokemon would be great. I just don't see Nintendo jumping into it the same way Sony has. They have no reason to. Pokemon is a system seller and selling it for the Wii U as well could kill some of that.

#50 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Is it jealous hate around here? Sure sounds like it. Don't like the comic just move on. This "I hate CAD' thing is as old as the bloody internet by now. Get over it.

If people have a negative opinion about stuff, it can only be jealously.

Riiight, gotcha.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.