Very silly/dumb question about trading

#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

Okay so say I have 2 3DSs and a copy of Pokemon X and a copy of Pokemon Y, could I possibly trade between them so I would get all 6 starters?

I'm talking about:

1. Starting a new game of Y
  2. Getting 2 starters
  3. Trading them to X
  4. Erasing the save game of Y
  5. repeat steps 1 through 4 with two other starters

I just want to know if it's worth convincing my friend to do this, she isn't really far in her game of Y but I don't want to make anyone do anything that wont work.

I feel like it's a silly question because I'm brand new to pokemon games. Thanks for the help!

#2 Edited by JackSukeru (5910 posts) -

That's how people with access to two portable systems and 2 versions of Pokemon usually do it. It's practically tradition.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

That's how people have done it since Gen I bro!

#4 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1462 posts) -

Another option is to use the Global Trading System. Once you have access to the Pokemon Daycare, obtain a Ditto from the GTS then if you hatch eggs of your starter people are willing to trade their hatched starter for yours.

That's how I did it anyway.

#5 Edited by Capum15 (4883 posts) -
@alwaysbeclothing said:

Another option is to use the Global Trading System. Once you have access to the Pokemon Daycare, obtain a Ditto from the GTS then if you hatch eggs of your starter people are willing to trade their hatched starter for yours.

That's how I did it anyway.

Yep. Got a level 1 Scyther from Wonder Trade, traded that on GTS for a Ditto, and then spiraled down the rabbit hole of breeding.

I have all 6 starters now, plus an Absol, Ralts and Ghastly (all bred Pokemon, purely so I could rename them, including the Mystery Gift Torchic). I traded the previously traded pokemon for the others. Kind of a self sustaining thing after you get an initial Ditto.

The one thing that sucks is that it gives me a communication error whenever I find someone trading something I want, when I have what they want. Happened when I tried to get a Fennekin with Charmander, and a Dragonair with a Haunter. So I ended up just shoving them on GTS with what I wanted and hoping someone would take the offer. Charmander went, but now I'm waiting on Haunter.

Also, you get eggs pretty fast, and just going back and forth on that road for a few minutes (use skates until you get a bike) is enough to hatch them. Watching some GB videos helps kill the time.

Edit: Oh awesome, Haunter went (got a Nice! too, yay) for the Dragonair. ... Now I dunno what else to try and get.

#6 Posted by Brent (28 posts) -

Another good tip for breeding is to have a Slugma, Macargo, Litwick, Larvesta, or Volcarona in your party while riding back and forth to hatch eggs. these pokemon have the Magma Armor or Flame Body abilities which cuts the hatch time for an egg.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.