Why are there two versions?

#1 Edited by Venatio (4483 posts) -

Hello, so I had a question about these Pokémon games

The only Pokémon game I've ever played was halfway through Pokémon white until my little brother broke the cartridge. I had fun so since getting a 3DS a few months back I've been interested in this new one. What exactly are the differences here between X and Y?

I've been playing games for 15 years but I've never been a Nintendo guy so I've mostly avoided Pokémon

#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I have not played them in a few colours so this may have changed, but historically they have been the exact same game but each one has different pokemon in them. So if you want to catch them all you need to buy two gameboys and two different games or know someone who has the other to trade with. It's been a way since the start for them to try and milk extra money out of people but I believe they always said it was to try and make people play together.

Which is why I always base my choice off of whichever box has the coolest pokemon on it. Since I never had anyone to trade with it didn't matter. It drove me nuts as a kid who put hundreds if not thousands of hours into those games to know that I could never have all of the pokemon because I never knew someone with the other colour.

#3 Posted by Grixxel (762 posts) -

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you can only get the pokemons on the cover only on their respective cartridge. Red one is probably on X and whatever the fuck the other thing is on Y.

#4 Posted by coakroach (2486 posts) -

Gotta make them kids cough up that extra money.

Or encourage people who own the game to actively look for people with other versions to get the other versions exclusive Pokemon.

Depends how cynical you want to be.

#5 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (2944 posts) -

Probably the reason there are two Pokemon games is because they want your money.

#6 Posted by Mijati (875 posts) -

There's been some minor differences in stories and areas in the last few games as well as having different obtainable Pokémon.

#7 Posted by Venatio (4483 posts) -

I'm just gonna go with the coverart I like best then

#8 Edited by vikingdeath1 (925 posts) -

Historically it has just been a way for Nintendo to milk money out of people. because if you want Every pokemon you need both versions.

but with Black & White they started making more major changes, still not enough to warrent an extra full game, but they're trying right?

in B/W there were some towns that were completely different, mainly white forest in White, and Black.... town? in black. so maybe they're will be even More serious changes between versions.... but probably still not enough.

#9 Edited by DonChipotle (2693 posts) -

Also with the advent of online trading, the whole needing to know someone with the other version in real life doesn't fly anymore.

It's an exclusivity thing. Versions have different Pokemon in them.

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5124 posts) -

The main reason they split the games into two is because $.

#11 Posted by Gonmog (580 posts) -

...am i the only one who had friends that played? I never even thought of buying both games cause that would be dumb. The games are not not diff other then a few monsters you can find. And them you can just trade with friends. And now i can say for sure it was never about the money. But about making it a social game. If it was about the money...they would not let you trade with others over the internet.

buying two systems and two games....crazy people talk.

#12 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

Historically it has just been a way for Nintendo to milk money out of people. because if you want Every pokemon you need both versions.

This is a bit cynical. While you can look at it as requiring both versions to complete your collection, the idea has always been that you buy one version and trade with others to get the Pokemon unavailable in your game. It encourages people to play together, battle, discuss strategies, talk about where to find specific species, etc. Did none of you ever play the games at school as kids? It was a really great experience that got everyone involved and nothing about it has ever felt like "those stupid kids will have to buy the same game TWICE!". In fact, I don't think I've ever known anyone who's bought both versions. The only thing you were forced to buy was a link cable and that's not an issue these days.

There tends to only be a small selection of exclusives and ever since they introduced online trading, it really isn't at all difficult to find the ones you're missing.

In X & Y the only differences we really know about are Skrelp and Clauncher (I'm avoiding spoilers/leaks, so don't bother correcting me) so the idea is that if you own Y, you trade your Skrelp for a Clauncher with somebody who owns X. Simple. There's also some different mega evolutions and the past few games have had some slight differences with the plot and in specific areas, but nothing particularly major. Going with which ever cover version you like best is probably the best idea or find a friend(s) who will buy the other version so you can trade everything.

#13 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

People need to get over this NINTENDO MAKE TWO POKEMONS TO STEAL YOUR $$$ stuff. The game was based on the creators love of collecting bugs and trading them... frankly I love the fact there's two versions of the game. When I was younger and more of my friends had Game Boys we'd coordinate who was getting what and setup elaborate trades... if we could get everything in one version a big part of what makes the game so much fun would be lost. I get Nintendo are a big corporation who want to make money, but has any fan of Pokemon felt like they were missing out a on that much by owning one version?

On a side not the producer of the X/Y said they would never do microtranscations as they want the whole game to be about earning what you own, plus they don't want kids getting ripped off. Add to this Iwata saying he won't fire people to help make Nintendo more profitable as it will only hurt creativity and morale and I'd say Nintendo, out of the big three, are the one I have the most respect for.

#14 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

I think it's kinda lame that Nintendo makes two versions:

- it's a rather sad attempt at a cash grab.

- Anyone you trade with has an equally likely chance of having the same version as you, which defeats the whole point of releasing different versions.

- It serves as a bad example for other game companies who end up doing the same. (Megaman Battle Network and Megaman Star Force are two examples that come to mind)

#15 Posted by Hailinel (23676 posts) -

@egg said:

- it's a rather sad attempt at a cash grab.

People need to get over this NINTENDO MAKE TWO POKEMONS TO STEAL YOUR $$$ stuff. The game was based on the creators love of collecting bugs and trading them... frankly I love the fact there's two versions of the game. When I was younger and more of my friends had Game Boys we'd coordinate who was getting what and setup elaborate trades... if we could get everything in one version a big part of what makes the game so much fun would be lost. I get Nintendo are a big corporation who want to make money, but has any fan of Pokemon felt like they were missing out a on that much by owning one version?

On a side not the producer of the X/Y said they would never do microtranscations as they want the whole game to be about earning what you own, plus they don't want kids getting ripped off. Add to this Iwata saying he won't fire people to help make Nintendo more profitable as it will only hurt creativity and morale and I'd say Nintendo, out of the big three, are the one I have the most respect for.

#16 Posted by ajamafalous (11802 posts) -

You guys know you've been able to trade online for a few games now, right? The 'LOL JUST SO YOU'LL BUY BOTH ONES LOL' reason hasn't held water for a while.

#17 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

Different versions different pokemon, each version has different mega evolutions, possibly some story/area differences. Money Grab? Maybe if you are a crazy ass completionist and don't want to trade at all. The online trading in this game is stupidly good. You can browse by pokemon and search for a trade, specifying the exact pokemon, level range, even whether you want a male or female. You can do wonder trades where you just throw a pokemon up and the game auto searches until it finds someone with a trade for it. You can also trade with friends and "passer by's" you meet in the online component of the game.

There is really no reason to buy both versions unless you just want to.

#18 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

This is a bit cynical. While you can look at it as requiring both versions to complete your collection, the idea has always been that you buy one version and trade with others to get the Pokemon unavailable in your game. It encourages people to play together, battle, discuss strategies, talk about where to find specific species, etc. Did none of you ever play the games at school as kids? It was a really great experience that got everyone involved and nothing about it has ever felt like "those stupid kids will have to buy the same game TWICE!". In fact, I don't think I've ever known anyone who's bought both versions. The only thing you were forced to buy was a link cable and that's not an issue these days.

There tends to only be a small selection of exclusives and ever since they introduced online trading, it really isn't at all difficult to find the ones you're missing.

In X & Y the only differences we really know about are Skrelp and Clauncher (I'm avoiding spoilers/leaks, so don't bother correcting me) so the idea is that if you own Y, you trade your Skrelp for a Clauncher with somebody who owns X. Simple. There's also some different mega evolutions and the past few games have had some slight differences with the plot and in specific areas, but nothing particularly major. Going with which ever cover version you like best is probably the best idea or find a friend(s) who will buy the other version so you can trade everything.

Yeah growing up kids would talk on the school bus about pokemon every day. For at least an hour if not more, for a span of over 3-4 years. It was a great social experience and trading was a part of it. The different versions give you a reason to trade.

There are a couple more in X & Y, assuming you don't have B/W2 and can't transfer over- Aggron/Tyranitar is the big one IIRC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.