Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon X/Y

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 12, 2013

The first Pokémon games on the 3DS and the first to be released simultaneously worldwide.

Why do people keep buying these games?

• 127 results
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@e30bmw said:

They want different people to buy the games. They are always targeted at kids. Some 7 or 8 year old kid doesn't give a fuck if the new Pokemon game is similar to a game released a decade before they were born.

Speaking of, I should probably give these games a try, since I have barely played any of the Pokemon games.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I played R/B, so I'm tempted to get X/Y to see where it's gone in 15 years. Aside from that, I don't care about the intermediate releases; it does seem a bit dirty to first release two versions, then another that combines what amounts to two text files from both games. But whatever; I'm not here to tell people what they can or cannot do.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played Red and Gold and absolutely ADORED the games. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Gold, maybe I'll give the new one a try, just to see how the series changed/didn't change.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By angouri

I played Red/Gold a ton. Red was really fun, but Gold started to lose me. I didn't like the monster designs as much (they seemed more... kiddy?). Red (and to some extent, Gold) struck a chord with my social group because it was great local competitive play on the bus, and we trained when we got home to beat the crap out of everyone else the next day. When I played Diamond, it was just me (I was also playing it on my little sister's DS while home on vacation, so....). I could appreciate the combat for what it was (a really, really simple JRPG), but the single player game stagnated (8 badges, elite 4, collect-em-all, stop Team XXX, etc.... you played one, you played-em-all) and without real online multiplayer..... ugh.

But Pokemon is still probably the best starter JRPG on the market. Its skill ramp is for toddlers. Its a great casual game to get people into the more niche RPGs I've come to appreciate since. It was the first game my little sister played to completion, and she's now graduated to some Dragon Age, Valkyria Chronicles and Persona.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

@flappy said:

@hailinel: Good point. I've spent so much time observing the GameFaqs folks that I've forgotten about the other groups.

@breadfan said:

Pokemon is still pretty rad. And that Nintendo adage still applies, especially with Pokemon - it's always some kid's first experience. Which is also pretty rad.

As a person that got hooked on Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow at the age of five, I'm not sure if that same five-year old would be able to jump into X/Y. Although the basic premise is still the same, GameFreak has added a lot of layers onto the systems that they put into place 15 years ago.

"I gotta memorize the type-chart and the typings of 700+ Pokemon? So much for getting my homework done..."

I'd agree about the additions over the years, but a lot of that stuff doesn't kick in until you actually complete the main 'story' stuff. But yeah...700 Pokemans is getting a bit absurd.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@castiel: Respek, that was a classy move.

As someone who buys the yearly NHL and has purchased every single CoD since it's beginning in 2003, I can safely say Pokemon is a different beast altogether. Meaningful changes are made and believe it or not Pokemon at competitive levels does have a fair bit of depth and involves a fair bit of thought. Sure it's played by children, but I was 8 in 1996 cut me some slack! Pokemon makes me a man child in a way very few Nintendo games can.

I would also sincerely advise you not to question the why's and how's of peoples video game purchases, it doesn't really concern you, it doesn't hurt you and quite frankly something like Call of Duty does deserve the flak it gets far more than Mario or Pokemon. Just let people be, video games are a simple source of entertainment Mario Kart or Call of Duty, if someone enjoys playing it what is it to you?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By John1912

I MAY get the new game. This would be the first one Ive played. I was too old for the cartoon, and even if I wasnt it would most likely have been too cutesy. People really fucking gush over these games, and I dont get it. I do like RPGs, and the collecting various monsters so i might check it out just to see what the fuss is over. God I wish is wasnt so fucking kiddy though.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#108  Edited By egg

Still not as bad as the people who are going to buy Bravely Default.

AMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Same reason bronies exist.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@egg said:

That makes no sense in the context of this conversation, given that Bravely Default is a new IP and not a franchise entering its sixth generation in fifteen years.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#111  Edited By PandaBear

Maybe because it's the same goddamn game again and again, therefore guaranteeing the same level of quality again and again (assuming that they liked one game in the chain)?

@dixego said:

People complain about this sort of thing when, let's say, Call of Duty does it, but I do not very often hear people complain about Pokemon.

The fuck are you talking about? People complain about Nintendo doing it all the time.

Spot on. I mean I'd consider Pokemon Gold one of my all-time favourite games and I still think the game needs a serious fucking shake up. That said, it's Pokemon, you know what you're getting and as bad as I think some of the Pokemon designs are getting the games are polished and each one is the perfect jumping on point. To that point I'm getting back into Pokemon with X/Y... I mean like I said, I know what I'm getting into and every few years it's exactly what I want.

As if you don't like a series of games that hasn't changed all that much. Most gamers do.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

For new players it's a well produced, friendly, entry level rpg.

For veterans its rpg comfort food.

For both it has the appeal of expression, in picking and raising your very own team of virtual creatures.

@meatball said:

Why do people keep buying Call of Duty? Why do people keep buying Need for Speed? Why do people keep buying Assassin's Creed? Sometimes a game has a formula people enjoy and a new setting/characters/etc. is enough for them. It's not something you need to get angry about.

Pokemon X/Y are also looking pretty significantly different from previous entries into the series, even if the core formula is still the same.

These sum it up for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

wat.

Spidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a simple and fun RPG.

The reason it hasn't changed in almost 2 decades (man) is because the premise is so fucking ingenius that it hasn't been forced to.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By medacris

For me, there's enough changed between one game to the next that I feel justified in buying another game in the series. I feel like the gameplay has gotten better over the years. Ghost isn't super powerful, there's more than one family of ghosts, there's finally something else to balance out Dragon. I still just want the one game with all the 'Mons and bells and whistles and best aspects of each game combined.

I'm kind of iffy about the spinoff games. If they have something to do with Pokemon directly, I'll give them a shot (I do like Mystery Dungeon a lot), but if you could easily change the IP and the rest of the game would be the same (i.e. Puzzle League), then I ignore it. I haven't watched the anime in awhile. Once in awhile, though, I will catch a funny snippet, though. I like how Team Rocket exist mostly to break the fourth wall, something sadly lacking in the games.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love everything Monster raising and Pokemon is one of them, Played pretty much every version except B/W2, can't wait for X/Y.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

That makes no sense in the context of this conversation, given that Bravely Default is a new IP and not a franchise entering its sixth generation in fifteen years.

Bravely Default has randomly triggered encounters.

rpwll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: You didn't really miss much in B/W2, there were some neat advances in a few places, but overall it felt like I'd played it before.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpwll said:

@ravelle: You didn't really miss much in B/W2, there were some neat advances in a few places, but overall it felt like I'd played it before.

Yeah, I was afraid of that and with XY around the corner I decided to skip it.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#120  Edited By lumley

Because this awesome Pokemon exists

No Caption Provided

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#121  Edited By Killercombo

For some reason I had this sudden urge to pick up a 3DS XL last week, mainly due to Pokemon I think (my last game was R/B) I got the Black one, I managed to pick up that Epic Mickey game for £4 brand new so I am playing that while I wait for my rentals copies of Project X Zone and Pokemon X to turn up, then the Mario games and KHDDD after that I hope.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

You say it's a new IP, yet it's not really anything new now is it? A plethora of games already exist which have randomly triggered encounters. Thusly, we already know what randomly triggered encounters are like.

No Caption Provided

Buying Bravely Default even knowing it has RTEs makes one a special kind of demented.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Hailinel

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

You say it's a new IP, yet it's not really anything new now is it? A plethora of games already exist which have randomly triggered encounters. Thusly, we already know what randomly triggered encounters are like.

Buying Bravely Default even knowing it has RTEs makes one a special kind of demented.

Again, Bravely Default is not Pokemon. You're bringing up a game that no one is intent on discussing here save for yourself because it has nothing to do with the topic of conversation at hand.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

Again, Bravely Default is not Pokemon. You're bringing up a game that no one is intent on discussing here save for yourself because it has nothing to do with the topic of conversation at hand.

The irony of you saying this is that OP is the one singling out Pokemon for no reason, and created this topic unprovoked. He mentioned CoD, even. All I did was call attention to another game.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know. I've bought Pokémon games before and didn't like them. I'm buying Pokémon Y this time because I think I'll like it with StreetPasses and Online play. If I don't like it this time, that's it for me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hailinel

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

The irony of you saying this is that OP is the one singling out Pokemon for no reason, and created this topic unprovoked. He mentioned CoD, even. All I did was call attention to another game.

That's not irony. The OP created a topic about Pokemon and made a Call of Duty comparison in terms of annualization, which isn't even that accurate. You're bringing up a new IP out of the blue that has nothing to do with this conversation.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

@hailinel said:

@egg said:

So?

That's not irony. The OP created a topic about Pokemon and made a Call of Duty comparison in terms of annualization, which isn't even that accurate. You're bringing up a new IP out of the blue that has nothing to do with this conversation.

But the issue being presented by the OP isn't the annualization but the fact that people are buying it. I merely offered to put things into perspective.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Haven't played a Pokemon game since Silver. Maybe it's because I never wanted to buy a DS to play them or perhaps because I despise the appearance of the new Pokemon.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Why does anyone buy any video game? Because you'll die one day....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.