Will this game use Play Coins?

#1 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

Will Pokémon X/Y use Play Coins? I hope not. I already use them for Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mii Street Plaza games.

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (9160 posts) -

Probably.

#3 Posted by Zeik (2494 posts) -

I doubt it would be for anything particular meaningful, simply because I can't think of anywhere it would work, but maybe. Although I'd be totally okay with being able to pay playcoins for Battle Tournament-like items instead of BP.

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9160 posts) -

@zeik: That's exactly what some people have theorized they will be used for. I would not be surprised at all if it was used for some optional items or just decorative things(like with the clothes, accessories, etc).

#5 Posted by Morningstar (2174 posts) -

I hope not. Can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow and find out!

#6 Posted by BisonHero (6570 posts) -

How many games outside of Animal Crossing use Play Coins in-game? I'm used to them only being used by Streetpass games, as none of the games I own use Play Coins whatsoever.

#7 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

Reports from people who got their hands on the game early are saying that there's no use for Play Coins.

#8 Edited by TruthTellah (9160 posts) -

How many games outside of Animal Crossing use Play Coins in-game? I'm used to them only being used by Streetpass games, as none of the games I own use Play Coins whatsoever.

I know that Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and a few others have also used them. It seems like something they could incorporate, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they avoided it. Usually the use is nothing big though.

#9 Edited by BisonHero (6570 posts) -

@truthtellah: Fire Emblem has Streetpass data that you exchange with other players, but doesn't use play coins.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (9160 posts) -

@bisonhero: Ah, right. My bad. I have it in my 3DS at this very moment. ha. But the rest are right. ;)

(and it would have been cool if Fire Emblem used those play coins to hire Spotpass characters...)

#11 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Kid Icarus is the only game I played to use them, besides Animal Crossing. Maybe Street Fighter 4 but that was long ago.

#12 Edited by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

I haven't found anywhere that uses them yet.

#13 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

What's the problem with Play Coins? I suppose I could see them being a pain if you never take your 3DS out, but if you do, 1000 steps is nothing. If anything, I want more opportunities to spend them.

#14 Posted by RavenousJoker (50 posts) -

I doubt that it will.

#15 Edited by insouciant (710 posts) -

@mideonnviscera:

Resident Evil: Revelations uses them. You can buy items in the store with them.

#16 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

I'd be surprised.

#17 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@grantheaslip:

The problem with Play Coins is you can only earn 10 a day, but I want to spend 50 of them on Mii Street Plaza games and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

#18 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

@insouciant said:

@grantheaslip:

The problem with Play Coins is you can only earn 10 a day, but I want to spend 50 of them on Mii Street Plaza games and Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

I think that's kind of the point though -- it artificially slows you down. There's something kind of cool about the fact that I've been working on Puzzle Swap for over a year and I'm still not close to being done. Hell, I just finished Find Mii II.

I guess my stance is contingent on my access to StreetPasses though. I use Play Coins as a supplement to StreetPass Miis, especially now that I'm using public transit more. If you're someone who doesn't get StreetPasses, I can see how the lack of Play Coins could be a total pain the ass.

#19 Edited by BisonHero (6570 posts) -

@grantheaslip: I wish it wouldn't cap you at 10 coins per day, because as a student, some days I'm walking all over the place to and from different classes. I wish after the initial 10 coins/1000 steps, you continued to get, say, another coin per 1000 steps or something.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24977 posts) -

@grantheaslip: I wish it wouldn't cap you at 10 coins per day, because as a student, some days I'm walking all over the place to and from different classes. I wish after the initial 10 coins/1000 steps, you continued to get, say, another coin per 1000 steps or something.

It's capped in a way that will, at most, net about 300 coins a month. Though it would be nice to earn more, I also understand that a cap is necessary, because it could otherwise be very easy to game the system depending on how games actually implement Play Coins.

#21 Posted by BisonHero (6570 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@bisonhero said:

It's capped in a way that will, at most, net about 300 coins a month. Though it would be nice to earn more, I also understand that a cap is necessary, because it could otherwise be very easy to game the system depending on how games actually implement Play Coins.

Yeah, but I feel like most games that use Play Coins already use them on the most trivial, irrelevant aspect possible, as if they're already afraid of people inexplicably having too many of them. So I don't see the harm in letting you slowly earn more than 10 a day if you happen to walk around a bunch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.