Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

A long history of collecting Pokemon games (photo included).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

It all started with Pokemon Blue & Red.  I have no idea why it did, it just happened.  I assume it was way back in 1996 or thereabouts.  My youngest daughter was only one and the elder about three, so I didn't buy it for them.  I already had my Gameboy, with long sessions on Tetris and Bill & Ted.  I don't even remember hearing about Pokemon and why I should buy it, but I did, both of them.  It didn't take one long to love them.  The characters, the music, the game play - it was just awesome and in fact was the catalyst for me to become even more of a gamer than I already was (having started back in 1973ish with Pong. 

Although my daughter was only three, she was already a proficient reader, so she took to Pokemon like a duck to water.  It was our first gaming bonding experience.  We gave our characters stupid names, like Assachu.  We laughed like only a child of three and a dad who thought like a three year old could.  By the time my younger daughter was threee in 1998, she was also a proficient reader, so we were all into it. 

One of my fondest memories of that time was learning that you could "clone" characters.  It was an awesome glitch.  We cloned all the good characters so we could have everything.  I miss cloning.

Gotta buy 'em all (missing - Pokemon Yellow: somewhere in the house) 
    With the main series of Pokemon, a trend started and continues now.  My daughters got the new release games.  They would play the hell out of them and I would have to wait my turn.  I still hate that there is only a single save file and I will get a R4 card to go around it.  Anyway, eventually, the inevitable third game would come out and that one was mine, starting with Pokemon Crystal.  I recently got my Platinum game, an they were jealous as they are each time, that I got the newest one, conveniently forgetting that I had to wait more than 6 months to finally play it.  Right now, I am the one missing out as they have SoulSilver and HeartGold. 

The home console versions have been a constant disappointment as such.  I still yearn for a home console Pokemon game that is equal to the main handheld ones.  It can happen, it should happen and we deserve one.  XD Darkness of gale was fine whilst it lasted,  but it as too short.  Battle Revolution is just an add on for the DS games.  The N64 versions were fun though.  They had fun mini-games and the peripheral for connecting you Gameboy games, and characters was very neat.  Pokemon Snap was excellent for what it was and is screaming out for a proper sequel on the Wii.

Here is the collection you see in the shot:

Gameboy 

1. Pokemon Red 
    2. Pokemon Blue 
    3. Pokemon Yellow 

Gameboy Colour  - Special Edition Pokemon Console

1. Pokemon Gold 
    2. Pokemon Silver 
    3. Pokemon Crystal 
    4. Pokemon Pinball 
    5. Pokemon Trading Card Game 
    6. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge 

Gameboy Advance  

1. Pokemon Ruby 
    2. Pokemon Sapphire  
    3. Pokemon Emerald
    4. Pokemon Fire red 
    5. Pokemon Leaf Green 
    6. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire 

DS  

1. Pokemon Diamond 
    2. Pokemon Pearl 
    3. Pokemon Platinum 
    4. Pokemon Ranger  
    5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 
    6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness 
    7. Pokemon SoulSilver 
    8. Pokemon HeartGold 

N64  - Special Edition Pokemon Console 

1. Pokemon Stadium 
    2. Pokemon Stadium 2 
    3. Pokemon Snap 
    4. Pokemon Puzzle League  

Gamecube  

1. Pokemon Colloseum 
    2. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness 
    3. Pokemon Channel 

Wii  

1. Pokemon Battle Revolution

Grand Total is 31 Pokemon games. 

I still enjoy the Pokemon games as much as I ever did.  Sure, the games are pretty much the same as the they have all been, but think of them as expansion packs, with new stuff.  I truly look forward to what they can do with the 3DS and await news of what the Pokemon Black & White is all about - maybe it is about Michael Jackson  :/ 

Well, there you have it.  Pokemon is not for kids, it is for people who enjoy good games.  People don't grow out of Pokemon, they just get mentally old and have lost touch with their sense of fun.  Their loss, not mine.  Anyone managed to accumulate more Pokemon games than me?  There are still some I don't have, believe it or not.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

It all started with Pokemon Blue & Red.  I have no idea why it did, it just happened.  I assume it was way back in 1996 or thereabouts.  My youngest daughter was only one and the elder about three, so I didn't buy it for them.  I already had my Gameboy, with long sessions on Tetris and Bill & Ted.  I don't even remember hearing about Pokemon and why I should buy it, but I did, both of them.  It didn't take one long to love them.  The characters, the music, the game play - it was just awesome and in fact was the catalyst for me to become even more of a gamer than I already was (having started back in 1973ish with Pong. 

Although my daughter was only three, she was already a proficient reader, so she took to Pokemon like a duck to water.  It was our first gaming bonding experience.  We gave our characters stupid names, like Assachu.  We laughed like only a child of three and a dad who thought like a three year old could.  By the time my younger daughter was threee in 1998, she was also a proficient reader, so we were all into it. 

One of my fondest memories of that time was learning that you could "clone" characters.  It was an awesome glitch.  We cloned all the good characters so we could have everything.  I miss cloning.

With the main series of Pokemon, a trend started and continues now.  My daughters got the new release games.  They would play the hell out of them and I would have to wait my turn.  I still hate that there is only a single save file and I will get a R4 card to go around it.  Anyway, eventually, the inevitable third game would come out and that one was mine, starting with Pokemon Crystal.  I recently got my Platinum game, an they were jealous as they are each time, that I got the newest one, conveniently forgetting that I had to wait more than 6 months to finally play it.  Right now, I am the one missing out as they have SoulSilver and HeartGold. 

The home console versions have been a constant disappointment as such.  I still yearn for a home console Pokemon game that is equal to the main handheld ones.  It can happen, it should happen and we deserve one.  XD Darkness of gale was fine whilst it lasted,  but it as too short.  Battle Revolution is just an add on for the DS games.  The N64 versions were fun though.  They had fun mini-games and the peripheral for connecting you Gameboy games, and characters was very neat.  Pokemon Snap was excellent for what it was and is screaming out for a proper sequel on the Wii.

Here is the collection you see in the shot:

Gameboy 

1. Pokemon Red 
    2. Pokemon Blue 
    3. Pokemon Yellow 

Gameboy Colour  - Special Edition Pokemon Console

1. Pokemon Gold 
    2. Pokemon Silver 
    3. Pokemon Crystal 
    4. Pokemon Pinball 
    5. Pokemon Trading Card Game 
    6. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge 

Gameboy Advance  

1. Pokemon Ruby 
    2. Pokemon Sapphire  
    3. Pokemon Emerald
    4. Pokemon Fire red 
    5. Pokemon Leaf Green 
    6. Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire 

DS  

1. Pokemon Diamond 
    2. Pokemon Pearl 
    3. Pokemon Platinum 
    4. Pokemon Ranger  
    5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time 
    6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness 
    7. Pokemon SoulSilver 
    8. Pokemon HeartGold 

N64  - Special Edition Pokemon Console 

1. Pokemon Stadium 
    2. Pokemon Stadium 2 
    3. Pokemon Snap 
    4. Pokemon Puzzle League  

Gamecube  

1. Pokemon Colloseum 
    2. Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness 
    3. Pokemon Channel 

Wii  

1. Pokemon Battle Revolution

Grand Total is 31 Pokemon games. 

I still enjoy the Pokemon games as much as I ever did.  Sure, the games are pretty much the same as the they have all been, but think of them as expansion packs, with new stuff.  I truly look forward to what they can do with the 3DS and await news of what the Pokemon Black & White is all about - maybe it is about Michael Jackson  :/ 

Well, there you have it.  Pokemon is not for kids, it is for people who enjoy good games.  People don't grow out of Pokemon, they just get mentally old and have lost touch with their sense of fun.  Their loss, not mine.  Anyone managed to accumulate more Pokemon games than me?  There are still some I don't have, believe it or not.
    Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zajtalan

whats with those kooky stickers? the ones on the game boxes

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fripplebubby

Great on the Pokemon, but don't get an R4. get a AceKard, the newest Pokemon game freezes every ten minutes on a R4. And I know that because... I.. Also want to play Pokemon with my daughters. Yep, that's the story. 

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria

Black and White are confirmed to be DS titles.

Of course that doesn't mean Nintendo can't add some special features for the 3DS...

Not that the limited animation frames of the pokemon would make 3D look impressive or anything.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shirogane

Oh god... 
    REALLY?! 

You never fail to impress me with your insane collections. 
    I still need a DS.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 5

Great stuff, thanks very much for sharing. :)

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nick_verissimo

What, no Hey You Pikachu?  I'm only joshing haha....but in all seriousness, you sir give us all something to strive for in our fatherly years.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Zajtalan said:
    " whats with those kooky stickers? the ones on the game boxes "
    I think I know what you are talking about.  They are the Australian Game Ratings stickers.  We kind of get UK Pal games, and they have a different rating scale, so local stickers just go over it.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You have such an insanely awesome collection of games... I'm quite jealous :(  Good luck finding that Pokemon Yellow game :-P

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @Kowbrainz said:
    " Great stuff, thanks very much for sharing. :) "
    I impressed myself by having a blog that is more than 5 words  :/ 

I was thinking of taking a "holiday" until all the useless blogs stopped, but then I thought, go the other way, write some lengthy blogs and rebel against them darn kids and the Quest levels.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool The only way you're going to stop having the front page flooded by billions of quest topics is by making and contributing to other topics so hey, why not.

I haven't gotten into the Mystery Dungeon games, and have (or have played and beaten) most of the games you've posted above although the glaring omitions from my collection seem to be the two Gamecube RPGs. I've played through about 3-5 hours of colosseum, just enough to know I liked it, so I'd like to buy that and XD some day. Pokemon Channel though... I rented once and don't think I got 20 minutes through before I'd decided I'd had enough.
    dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By dietmango

You have such a beastly collection. I'm...impressed. =O

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By George_Hukas

Oh man this takes me back.. at least you have a daughter as a pretty valid reason for playing. 

I'm such a horrible person. Back when Red and Blue first rolled out I was working at a daycare/after school program and all the kids were playing the game and trading the cards. I ended up using GameShark, capturing tons of rare, high level Pokemons,  traded them to the kids for their rare cards and flipped them at the comic shop. The perfect scam..lol

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @Kowbrainz said:
    " @oldschool The only way you're going to stop having the front page flooded by billions of quest topics is by making and contributing to other topics so hey, why not.  I haven't gotten into the Mystery Dungeon games, and have (or have played and beaten) most of the games you've posted above although the glaring omitions from my collection seem to be the two Gamecube RPGs. I've played through about 3-5 hours of colosseum, just enough to know I liked it, so I'd like to buy that and XD some day. Pokemon Channel though... I rented once and don't think I got 20 minutes through before I'd decided I'd had enough. "
    The Mystery Dungeon games are a disappointment at every level.  When my daughter says they are average, then they are.  She liked Ranger though. 

I got Channel very cheap and if memory serves me, it helped unlock a special character in on of the other games.  I personally never played it, but my daughters were about 7 and 9 when we got it and had some fun with it, but it did get old quick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldschool: yeah, the big "UNLOCKS JIRACHI" sticker on the box was exactly what persuaded me into renting it, but I just couldn't bring myself to waste a weekend on that.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

I remember when I first bought my Red version. Play that thing non-stop.

Cool Pokemon collection.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @cide said:
    " Oh man this takes me back.. at least you have a daughter as a pretty valid reason for playing.   I'm such a horrible person. Back when Red and Blue first rolled out I was working at a daycare/after school program and all the kids were playing the game and trading the cards. I ended up using GameShark, capturing tons of rare, high level Pokemons,  traded them to the kids for their rare cards and flipped them at the comic shop. The perfect scam..lol "
    You are an evil, evil, evil ...... very enterprising man  :-) 

Those darn kids have to learn life lessons some way.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capum15

I need that motivational poster picture saying "Who's awesome? You're awesome." and a dog pointing toward you.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Capum15 said:
    " I need that motivational poster picture saying "Who's awesome? You're awesome." and a dog pointing toward you. "
    I figure myself more as that kitten hanging off a branch saying "oh shit"  :/
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Capum15
    @oldschool: It may be because it's 7am and I haven't slept at all, but that made me laugh quite a bit.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @Capum15 said:
    " @oldschool: It may be because it's 7am and I haven't slept at all, but that made me laugh quite a bit. "
    I like to think it is because I am witty.  Reality tells me you need more sleep  :/
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Capum15
    @oldschool:  Maybe it's a combination of both? Reality can be stranger than fiction. I have no idea where I heard that, but something said/wrote it and it sounds plausible.
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#24  Edited By Valkyr

I was a huge Pokemon fan, but after Gold/Silver and the new pokemon additions I decided not to play them anymore, I started playing Diamond at some point but quitted several days after, a big mistake in my life, they are very good games

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

Uh oh no pokemon yellow!!!

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By destruktive

god damnit. I wish I had the maturity to don't throw my games away back then. My collection would have been sooo much better if I didn't :D

Awesome stuff as usual. :D

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
    @RobotHamster said:
    " Uh oh no pokemon yellow!!! "
    I'll find it.  Ot wasn't that long ago I saw it last.  When I do, I might give it a go with the Gamecube Gameboy Player on the 42 inch Plasma - should be awesome.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RobotHamster
    @oldschool said:
    " @RobotHamster said:
    " Uh oh no pokemon yellow!!! "
    I'll find it.  Ot wasn't that long ago I saw it last.  When I do, I might give it a go with the Gamecube Gameboy Player on the 42 inch Plasma - should be awesome. "
    Thats the spirit, it will be awesome!
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By sjschmidt93

I have most of those, excluding the DS one which I have none of. 

LeafGreen is still my favorite ever. 150 hours of work on that cartridge. 

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bones8677

I don't see a Japanese Import of Pokemon Green...FAIL. 

^.^

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Damn. That's a lot of Pokemans.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @Bones8677 said:
    " I don't see a Japanese Import of Pokemon Green...FAIL.   ^.^ "
    I have a decent collection of Japanese games, but not that one.  When you have a copy of Captain Rainbow and Giftpia, or Megaman in Japanese, come and talk to me about hardcore  :-) 
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Great collection mate. You really should try to add a Pokemon N64 (Pikachu on the top) to your collection though, I think there's a few available on Amazon UK currently, and they're not too expensive also.  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Limited-Edition-N64-Console/dp/B00004WLM8/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1271233473&sr=8-14 

There's also a Pokemon N64 controller worth hunting down (Pikachu Yellow, and of course a Yellow Pokemon Center DS. I passed up on buying the latter myself, the one I saw had a major scratch on the bottom screen, apparently a little girl had taken some scissors to it. I should have bought it at the 90 Pounds cost and replaced the screen  - it's worth well over 200 Pounds now. 

Keep catching em

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB

I stick with the main RPG series, though I do also have Pokemon Pinball and one of the Mystery Dungeon games (the title escapes me at the moment).

No Caption Provided

An older photo (not shown: Platinum or HeartGold) I've posted around these parts before. You've definitely got me beat on Poke-Merchandise!
    Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

thats a different looking 64, the one my brother has is blue like that, but the power button is a poke ball

corgorav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By corgorav

Nice collection, always good to see people who are really into stuff. I'm also kind of jealous of you as I just couldn't keep on with the Pokemon bandwagon after generation II, as much as I wanted to. It was the same old story as with much of the ex-Pokemon fanbase, I love the graphics, music, most of the mechanics and the world in all handheld Pokemon games but the newer (251->) Pokemons feel real unimaginative and the core concept kinda falls apart when you can't really catch 'em all when they just keep inventing new ones. Still, I really want to give the new remakes a spin, as I'm sucker for giving Nintendo my money, makes me feel real good.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emkeighcameron

Very nice collection, but honestly, all you really need is Pokemon Snap.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By peritus

A pretty fun read, i hope that if i have children one day il have something similar to share with them aswell. 

There's a N64 game out there that is similar to Pokemon channel, its called Hey you pickachu, i think that would complete you're N64 collection.

blipadouzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By blipadouzi

Dude... you left out "My Pokemon Ranch"

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldschool
    @peritus said:
    " A pretty fun read, i hope that if i have children one day il have something similar to share with them aswell.   There's a N64 game out there that is similar to Pokemon channel, its called Hey you pickachu, i think that would complete you're N64 collection. "
    I would have picked it, but I never see it in the "used game" places and I can't be bothered with eBay.
    billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

What are some of your favorite pokemon games that you own?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.