Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Generation V Starters Announced: Worst Pokémons ever conceived

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

Take a gander at what Nintendo has to offer.

Ken Sugimori has clearly lost all talent.

• The first one looks like Trecko after undergoing a sex change operation. It also creeps me out that it's standing on two paper-thin... things. Instead of legs.
    • A Fire-Rabit-Pig. What the hell Japan?
    • This is by far the worst of the three, and one of the worst, if on the worst, Pokémon ever conceived. It's creepy as hell, it looks like a dead clown, I'll have nightmares because of this shit for sure, and, worst of all, I know this will be the one that I'll choose. In my head, it keeps saying

"The voices are telling me to kill you."

The worst thing might be the names. For the first time in Pokémon history, I know not how to correctly pronounce the name of a Pokémon. I notice a conspicouous similarity betwen these names and the name of the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajokull. The names are:

• Tsutarja
    • Pokabu
    • Mijumaru

On a side note: Mijumaru is #500. That's a lot of Pokémon.

And Mijumaru really, really creeps me out.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

What are the names? You didn't say them.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Snail
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " You where beat "
    Oh come on, nothing showed up in related threads and I did a quick scan.

Shit.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

They should have stopped at 150.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I apologize, but this is old as hell.

Edit: Oh, hey, and screw you!  I really love their looks.  You guys just need to let go of your damn nostalgia for the old ones.  Pignition, Wotter and that green snake freak are cool.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @DanielJW said:
    " They should have stopped at 151. "
    Nah. They should have stopped at 251. Gold/Silver/Crystal was the last generation with something resembling creativity in the character designs. Nonetheless, there are several 3rd Generation pokeymanz that I like (Sharpedo? It's an evil shark head with an attack stat that trumps Gyarados. How badass is that?). As far as I'm concerned though, 4th generation can die in a fire. 

As for these guys... Don't worry. There will be worse stuff soon enough. I can't wait to see the legendaries. 10 to one wager that they are just a jumble of random shapes with eyes and fangs.
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Those look fucking awful

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArbitraryWater: 
     Legendary 1 - Zoroak
     Legendary 1 - Zoroak
    Ability to transform ala Ditto, or something.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

I wish they would just stick to normal looking designs and portmanteaus like the original Pokemon :(

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Geno said:
    " I wish they would just stick to normal looking designs and portmanteaus like the original Pokemon :( "
    Yeah, because Porygon and Lickitung are normal and non-generic designs.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Geno
    @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Geno said:

" I wish they would just stick to normal looking designs and portmanteaus like the original Pokemon :( "
    Yeah, because Porygon and Lickitung are normal and non-generic designs. "
    They still look much better than current designs. For instance, Lickitung looks weird but at least he looks cohesive, and not just a bunch of random patterns and body parts stuck together. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Geno: Personally, I have no problem with a pig that's on fire.  I admit that the two others are odd, but their evolutions will surely rectify that. 

Honestly, I maintain that those who have the same opinion as you are blinded by nostalgia.  If you take those shades off and observe, you'll see that Jynx looks like shit, Mewtwo is lame, Pinsir's lame, Seel is really generic...  I don't see what changed exactly in the concepts or designs of these Pokemon.  They're just making new ones; they don't look any better or worst than G1.
    brodywb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brodywb

I like the smug lizard

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snail
    @FluxWaveZ: Evolutions usually don't rectify. They make it worst.

And I'm pretty sure that, whether I'm blinded by nostalgia or not, this looks pretty fucking retarded and there is nothing equivalently bad in Generation I or II. Same thing for its evolution. Also, there is a Pokémon that turns into furniture. Give me a break.

And let's not forget Spiritomb.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @ArbitraryWater: 
     Legendary 1 - Zoroak
     Legendary 1 - Zoroak
    Ability to transform ala Ditto, or something. "
    Hokey Smokes! I win already! Too bad nobody agreed to my wager.
    Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brunchies

The smug lizard and fire pig look sweet, the last one not so much.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Snail said:

" @FluxWaveZ: Evolutions usually don't rectify. They make it worst.

And I'm pretty sure that, whether I'm blinded by nostalgia or not, this looks pretty fucking retarded and there is nothing equivalently bad in Generation I or II. Same thing for its evolution. Also, there is a Pokémon that turns into furniture. Give me a break.

And let's not forget Spiritomb. "

Alright, I'll concede that Hippopotas doesn't look good at all, but Hippowdon is fucking awesome.  Tell me exactly what's wrong with his design.  And that Rotom furniture crap isn't in the games at all!  I don't pay attention to the cartoon as I have no interest, but actual Rotom in the game is not bad at all.  An electric-ghost Pokemon that can control electric appliances?  Awesome.  Also, yeah, Spiritomb looks crappy, but it's analogous to what it's suppose to represent. 

And, wtf are you talking about referring to the evolutions?  Tell me one Pokemon starter that looks worst when it's fully evolved!  As an example to what I mean; Pignition turning into this: 

No Caption Provided
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

That lizard thing is stupid, but I don't mind the other two. In fact, the pig almost looks like something that would have fit in with the first two generations. I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been the fire type in Gold and Silver instead of Cyndaquil (though I would have been one sad panda if Cyndaquil hadn't been around)

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Bones8677

I don't understand why they can't release a new game with the old Pokemon. What, 500 not enough for you're game? The old pokemon can easily be identified as actual animals in our world. Charmander is a lizard, Bulbasaur is a frog, and Squirtle is a turtle. Same with the gold and silver ones, and even some of the Ruby/ Sapphire ones. But now, it just looks like they spent an afternoon in Spore looking for something EXTREME!!!!!!!

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InfiniteGeass

All Pokemon after the 2nd generation do not actually exist.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Bones8677: Animals in real life?  What's the real life animal counter part to Geodude, Golem, Tangela, Abra, Lickitung, Magneton, Hypno, Weezing, Muk...? 

And if you cling so much to the old generation of Pokémon, why don't you just play the old Pokémon Blue/Red/Yellow or even Pokémon Stadium?
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Smugleaf is a pimp you take that shit back.

@FluxWaveZ:
    A lot of the original Pokemon were based on wild life because it was inspired by the hobby of bug collecting.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bones8677

Geodude and Golem are sentient rocks. Abra is reminiscent of a fox. Lickitung is a chameleon, etc. And I did play the old school pokemon, but I don't play the new ones because the developers have lost all creativity. 

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @FluxWaveZ said:

And, wtf are you talking about referring to the evolutions?  Tell me one Pokemon starter that looks worst when it's fully evolved!
    "
    Sorry to nitpick, but Blaziken would like to have a word with you.
    If you don't think this guy looks worse than Torchic, you are out of your damn mind.
    If you don't think this guy looks worse than Torchic, you are out of your damn mind.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Bones8677: Alright, but every new Pokémon is also based on a real-life counterpart (or a concept, nowadays).  Pignition = pig, Wotter = Otter, Smugleaf = Snake. 

@LordXavierBritish said:
    " @FluxWaveZ: A lot of the original Pokemon were based on wild life because it was inspired by the hobby of bug collecting. "
    Ah, that's interesting...  Might explain why Pokemon are abundant in grass! :P 

@ArbitraryWater: But, I don't think he looks worse than Torchic! XD  Look at it: 

No Caption Provided
    Hm, well, seeing it again, I don't know...  Yeah, I'll admit Blaziken's ugly, but I like how it's a fighter.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bones8677
    @FluxWaveZ: Wait, that thing is supposed to be an otter????

It looks like a clown mated with a snow cone!
    Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought part of the appeal for a new pokemon game was new pokemon.

Seriously, people need to stop nitpicking.   If you want old pokemon, go play Heartgold/Soulsilver which was JUST RELEASED.

r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t
    @Bones8677 said:
    " Geodude and Golem are sentient rocks. Abra is reminiscent of a fox. Lickitung is a chameleon, etc. And I did play the old school pokemon, but I don't play the new ones because the developers have lost all creativity.  "
    That's pretty ignorant considering you haven't played the newer gen games. I thought Diamond and Pearl were very well put together. 

I think the starters are fine(Smugleaf is awesome!). The worst batch was gen 3 for sure.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bones8677
    @r3b3lr0b0t said:
    " @Bones8677 said:
    " Geodude and Golem are sentient rocks. Abra is reminiscent of a fox. Lickitung is a chameleon, etc. And I did play the old school pokemon, but I don't play the new ones because the developers have lost all creativity.  "
    That's pretty ignorant considering you haven't played the newer gen games. I thought Diamond and Pearl were very well put together.  I think the starters are fine(Smugleaf is awesome!). The worst batch was gen 3 for sure. "
    I said I "don't" play, not that I "haven't" played. Because I do have a copy of Pearl, and have played it, but I didn't get past the second gym because there's just nothing different.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't really understand why people claim 'worst designs ever!' every time new Pokemon are announced.  
    Typically, it takes me a bit to get used to them, but claiming "all after the original/second gen games are bad" because you never played anything past those games is rather silly.

Plenty of the designs from the first two generations were bizarre, or even bad and the only reason so many accept them is because of nostalgia.  Those are the ones they remeber using and seeing on TV  when they were growing up.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32  Edited By DrRandle

I love how this happens every time a new Pokemon game comes out. Every time they're all the worst Pokemon ever, and clearly this is where the series has "jumped the shark," despite the fact that each game is actually getting better (even if incrementally). In the end you're favorite pokemon can be traded to it and you can still raise them. You don't even have to USE the new Pokemon.

And are people actually arguing AGAINST change? Are you serious? You don't see the intrinsic value of adding more Pokemon? Sure they're not all going to be shiners, but frankly I like these starters a hell of a lot better than the likes of Chikorita and Torchic. Stop living in the past.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I particularly like the bad cut-out job, but I think the first one looks good. The others look pretty awful.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shirogane

Urgh, I don't like these starters. There's usually at least one, or 2 that i like every gen. But this time around, i don't really like any of them. Also, the fire pig just isn't as cool as all the previous fire ones. 

And for the record, i like Blaziken, so screw you people! 
     Oh and the Porygons are some of the most genius things ever created! They get smoother each generation!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I knew you would be here to make a thread about this. I agree water monster looks odd. Grass one is sort of meh to me (although not going to get angsty with those who are digging it), but I like Fire pig.

@Snail said:
    " @FluxWaveZ: Evolutions usually don't rectify. They make it worst.

And let's not forget Spiritomb. "
    But what the fuck. How you cannot see Rotom as fucking awesome is beyond me, and I'm sure that if he was in the original 151 you'd agree.
    Wanna know why the names are so weird? They're in Romaji. You know, Japanese just with english symbols. NOA will have English names for you soon, but I bet you'll bitch about those too when they come.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#36  Edited By jacksukeru

Is the fire pigs name really Pignition? cause that is an awesome name. I  didn't really like any of these when I first saw them, but I'm starting to "warm up" to the pig, I'm also thinking that while the water type has the worst design of any water starter ever, seeing what it's based on, it's evolutions could be pretty awesome looking.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By KingBroly

I've always liked the pig Pokemon.  It looks like a natural Pokemon, which is something you can't say about quite a few Pokemon.  I do agree that it fits the original Pokemon template, which is pretty much the highest praise you can give a Pokemon nowadays.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RockmanBionics said:
    " Is the fire pigs name really Pignition? cause that is an awesome name. I  didn't really like any of these when I first saw them, but I'm starting to "warm up" to the pig, I'm also thinking that while the water type has the worst design of any water starter ever, seeing what it's based on, it's evolutions could be pretty awesome looking. "
    It's a fanmade name.
    I doubt Nintendo will go with something so obvious, as awesome as it is.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jimbo
    • I like the green one.  He's got his collar popped and is acting all super-chill, with a look on his face that says "I could get some sweet Water Pokemon ass anytime I wanted - and you know it".
    • The pig is clearly an imbecile.
    • The last one looks like his guide dog has just run out in front of a truck.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BraveToaster

No matter how crappy they look I'm sure most of you will buy the game.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By Scooper

First 150 Pokémon were great. After that it went bad way fast.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Snail
    @Kowbrainz: So you are honestly saying that this... thing which "looks like a clown mated with a snow cone" (quoting another user in this thread here), is well designed?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

"@Snail said:

" @Kowbrainz: So you are honestly saying that this... thing which "looks like a clown mated with a snow cone" (quoting another user in this thread here), is well designed? "

Uh... no. Go back to my post again

" I agree water monster looks odd. "

I'm not denying that he looks weird, but I don't think all of them are that bad, and I still reserve my thoughts on the first generation's designs - they weren't all flawless. Each generation has its own set of duds.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Axxol said:
    " No matter how crappy they look I'm sure most of you will buy the game. "
    What's the correlation?  People can think a particular aspect of a game is stupid or bad, but like the game anyways and be interested in it.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

I know the child version of you disagrees, but most Pokemon are kind of stupid looking. Even generation one starters. I don't see how a fire pig is any less stupid than a turtle with water cannons or a tortoise with a flower on its back. Im sure you were so deep in the koolaid for gen 1 you didn't even notice how retarded Mr. Mime looked. Its all nostalgia.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BraveToaster
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Axxol said:
    " No matter how crappy they look I'm sure most of you will buy the game. "
    What's the correlation?  People can think a particular aspect of a game is stupid or bad, but like the game anyways and be interested in it. "
    I wasn't saying it like it was a bad thing.
    Astrovik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Astrovik

I don't like the grass type.The other ones are cute as hell.I will always love me some pokemanz. 
    I'm going to choose the Fire type this time.Pignition and he's a little piggy.How cute is that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.