It's Official - Pokemon Gold And Silver Getting DS Remakes

#1 Edited by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -
Kotaku Link

It's official. Pokémon Gold and Silver will be remade — something that was hinted at last weekend on Japan's Pokémon Sunday TV program.

The tenth anniversary remakes will be called Pokémon Heart Gold and Poké Soul Silver — much akin to the Fire Red and Leaf Green Gameboy Advance remakes of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green.

The original Gold and Silver sold 23 million copies worldwide. Expect the DS remakes this autumn in Japan with newly added elements.

ポケモン金・銀が10年ぶりに復活! DS向けにリメイク決定 [Yahoo! News via PokéBeach Thanks Duff!]

Kick ass.  Now I just want to know when they will hit the states.

EDIT: The Yahoo News page translated by Google Translator.   Link
#2 Edited by joey (985 posts) -

I was just about to post this

I really want to get this
#3 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Nice to know they're remaking the best two!

#4 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

I might get this.

I doubt Nintendo will remake the third game, seeing how Nintendo never remade Yellow back when they remade Red & Blue.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (19023 posts) -
Kou_Leifoh said:
"I might get this. I doubt Nintendo will remake the third game, seeing how Nintendo never remade Yellow back when they remade Red & Blue."
Yeah.  When I had Crystal I caught all of the Pokemon.
#6 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

Yeah, this will probably be the definitive DS Pokemon game.

#7 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

It's weird. I played silver more than any game ever. When I finished I had 700 hours.

But I cannot imagine buying this or enjoying this. Oh well, it's probably just me. It'll probably be a fun game.

#8 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

I am beyond super excited for this and will end-up playing this with my GF, for hours on end (she'll get Silver, I'll get Gold). 

I just hope Nintendo can do something about all the hax online, which ruined D/P/P :(

#9 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Good thing I held out on Platinum.

#10 Posted by Skambu (21 posts) -
Kou_Leifoh said:
"Yeah, this will probably be the definitive DS Pokemon game."
Pokemon Ranger, a close second.

Oh lord... that game was horrible.
#11 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -
Skambu said:
"Kou_Leifoh said:
"Yeah, this will probably be the definitive DS Pokemon game."
Pokemon Ranger, a close second.Oh lord... that game was horrible."
.............Huh?
#12 Posted by MattBodega (1907 posts) -

So, first question: Are you excited? I really loved Gold and Silver way back in the day, especially because of the sheer size of that game(Pretty sure it was the only game in the series to let you explore two different regions, which meant you could collect 16 BADGES! That's so many badges!)
Secondly , Heart Gold and Soul Silver will mark the second time in the franchise that a game has been directly remade(following Fire Red and Leaf Green released on the GBA) Obviously, part of the success of the Pokemon series has been Game Freak's amazing power to sell players the same games multiple times( There are now 3 different versions of the original Pokemon Games, including the original games and the Yellow Re-Release). Now there are three versions of the Gold/Silver line. When are we, as players, going to realzine that Game Freak is selling us THE SAME GAME THEY'VE BEEN SELLING US SINCE 1998! OH GOD. WE'RE JUST COGS IN THE POKEMON MONEY MACHINE. WE'RE GOING TO BUY THESE REMAKES AND THE REMAKES OF RUBY AND SAPHIRE NEXT JUST YOU WAIT. OH GOD.

Granted, I'll still buy them. But I'll buy these remakes with a frowny face.

Finally, who else thinks that 2009 is the year where people kept saying "The Worst Kept Secret in the Industry"? How many "big secret anouncements" have we known about weeks before the launch? Assassin's Creed 2, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, The PSP Go...it makes things  in this industry a little less interesting.

#13 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

Collecting all the Pokemon is fucking crazy; not only you'll need to find someone who has the opposite version of the game that you have, but there are other "special Pokemon" that you can obtain by going to some booth in a Toys'R Us were you can download a special item to use to encounter the "special Pokemon" - that's all ready in the game.

Seriously, if all the God damn "special Pokemon" were all ready in the game, then you don't need to go to Toys'R Us to download the special item.

#14 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Can't wait.

-- God Bless.

#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14419 posts) -

I never played Gold/Silver much. I was still really pissed off at them adding new pokemon (meaning I could no-longer name every single pokemon in order, which really annoyed me), so I refused to buy it. I had to borrow it off a friend for a couple of nights. And I couldn't save it or I'd go over his save file, so I didn't get a chance to play it properly.

So, I'm looking forward to these remakes so I can finally play it properly.

#16 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

My maximum Pokemon intake is one every two or three years. Since I just picked up Platinum, I can definitely wait for this.

I played through the vast majority of Silver until my save data was deleted, and it is definitely my favorite pokemon generation. My one question is if Nintendo will actually keep the second region in the game or not.
#17 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

I'm getting Gold, mainly because I have Lugia collected in Diamond.

#18 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -
Kou_Leifoh said:
"I'm getting Gold, mainly because I have Lugia collected in Diamond."
Yeah, well...I have Jirachi, Mew, and ALL OF THE JOHTO STARTERS.

So beat that.
#19 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -
Red said:
"Kou_Leifoh said:

So beat that.
"
I HAZ MUDKIPZ!!!!
i feel sick now
#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

Gold and Silver were the best games in the series. Maybe I will pick one of them up, even though I really am not into Pokemon anymore.

#21 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

I'm sick of remakes, why not just make a new game?

#22 Edited by Gump (565 posts) -
I'm somewhat excited! I'll get them without a doubt!
Pokemon is my favorite RPG series and the only one I've utterly played so far.
#23 Posted by Disgaeamad (1342 posts) -

After thinking it through, I'm fucking sold. Gold and Silver were awesome, and if they're remade as well as Red and Blue were, they'll definitely be worth it.

#24 Posted by MKHavoc (1307 posts) -

Well I'm nowhere near finishing Platinum, so I think I have enough Pokemon for a while. I may get this eventually but I'll need a break.

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -
Red said:
"Kou_Leifoh said:

So beat that.
"
A surfing Pikachu collected by storing 1500 Pokemon in a Japanese copy of Pokemon BOX and a Japanese Pokemon Ruby, and a FreeLoader... But hey, I still haven't played Diamond/Pearl yet. I think I'm completely burned out on pokemon forever, but I did love gold/silver... I'll probably pick them up.

#26 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -
Kou_Leifoh said:
"Collecting all the Pokemon is fucking crazy; not only you'll need to find someone who has the opposite version of the game that you have, but there are other "special Pokemon" that you can obtain by going to some booth in a Toys'R Us were you can download a special item to use to encounter the "special Pokemon" - that's all ready in the game.Seriously, if all the God damn "special Pokemon" were all ready in the game, then you don't need to go to Toys'R Us to download the special item."
or.. Hax
#27 Posted by Jimbo7676 (717 posts) -

silver and gold were the best in the series in my opinion, it's kind of dumb though that they're being remade instead of nintendo making a game that is better then those ones

#28 Posted by Kiemoe (1056 posts) -

I think they should just make all the regions connectable in some big ass Pokemon game so people can go through all the different worlds and collect em all once and for all. They could sell a game like that for 60 bucks, I wouldn't mind.

#29 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -
Red said:
"Kou_Leifoh said:

So beat that.
"
Well....um....Fuck you then, punk!

*Walks away*
#30 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -

This may be what makes me give in and buy a DS, honestly.

#31 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I still don't get why, but ok.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.