Mini Pokemon ER?

#1 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -

So after playing so much p4 i guess jeff and vinny are tired of ER . . . well to relax they could have a little pokemdurance run. or maybe they could all take turns. Vinny then Brad then Ryan then Jeff and theyre stuck with wherever the last guy left off. And maybe 1 guy can always play and the second guy talking is always different, or they could do it the old school way, jeff and vinny sitting on the couch playing some pokemon and whatnot. And since so many pokemon games are similar the community could have a giant vote. My vote goes off to gold or yellow, cause you could have squirtle pikachu and bulbasaur like in the cartoon.

#2 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -

No.

#3 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -

The story in pokemon isnt fleshed out enough to really enjoy or make fun of and the gameplay for seasoned gamers is a cake walk so its almost pointless. I say that even though I love the game but I dont think I want to watch other people play it.

#4 Posted by bwooduhs (1617 posts) -

Yes i totally want a pokemon ER now. But which game would the play?

#5 Edited by MB (12433 posts) -

How old are you guys? Vinny, Jeff and I are around the same age, and I have absolutely zero interest in anything Pokemon. I think people our age missed that fad by about a generation.

Moderator Online
#6 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Jeff and Vinny hadn't played P4, but I'm sure they've played PokeMon. It just wouldn't fit.

#7 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@MB said:
" How old are you guys? Vinny, Jeff and I are around the same age, and I have absolutely zero interest in anything Pokemon. We missed that fad by about a generation. "
Thank God, I thought I was going to be the only one against this idea.
#8 Posted by lemon360 (1102 posts) -
@MB said:
" How old are you guys? Vinny, Jeff and I are around the same age, and I have absolutely zero interest in anything Pokemon. We missed that fad by about a generation. "
How old are we? p4 was a highschool sim with cards you summon monsters with like in an anime cartoon for kids. If you like that social aspect why don't we have a sims er or something
#9 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -
@lemon360 said:
" @MB said:
How old are we? p4 was a highschool sim with cards you summon monsters with like in an anime cartoon for kids. If you like that social aspect why don't we have a sims er or something "
Yeah a lot of kids animes have parts where you fight in a strip club and gay bath house
#10 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@CowMuffins said:
" Jeff and Vinny hadn't played P4, but I'm sure they've played PokeMon. It just wouldn't fit. "
Yeah also a lot of people on the site have probably played the games.
#11 Posted by Dethfish (3667 posts) -

Come on, Pokemon isn't terrible and it isn't just for kids. I still enjoy playing it.

I don't think it'd be a great game for an ER though. It's not nearly funny enough.

#12 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Heartagram said:
" @lemon360 said:
" @MB said:
How old are we? p4 was a highschool sim with cards you summon monsters with like in an anime cartoon for kids. If you like that social aspect why don't we have a sims er or something "
Yeah a lot of kids animes have parts where you fight in a strip club and gay bath house "
Or have scenes where a dead body is hanging from power lines.

Please, no comparisons between P4 and Pokemon. That would just be ridiculous.
#13 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I think it should be console based, I don't know if I can watch DS animations for a whole ER, not to mention both sitting there playing that must get tedious.

#14 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3092 posts) -
@lemon360 said:
" @MB said:
P4 is rated M...
#15 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

I'm 24 and i still think pokemon is fun. Its obviously for kids, but the catching and raising mechanics are fun for any age. Ill definitely get the gold or silver remake on day 1. I thought that diamond and pearl were good, although the fun was short lived. I burned through the game in about a week, but it was 40 hours or something or playtime. Honestly if you look into the series the mechanics behind raising and fighting pokemon can get pretty complicated. You have to worry about the pokemon's stat genes, its personality (it modifies maximum stats), and which stats get hidden effort value experience. I still like dragon quest monsters the most though. Pokemon's not a series i play alot, but whenever one comes out, ill definitely get it.

#16 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Supermarius said:
" I'm 24 and i still think pokemon is fun. Its obviously for kids, but the catching and raising mechanics are fun for any age. Ill definitely get the gold or silver remake on day 1. I thought that diamond and pearl were good, although the fun was short lived. I burned through the game in about a week, but it was 40 hours or something or playtime. Honestly if you look into the series the mechanics behind raising and fighting pokemon can get pretty complicated. You have to worry about the pokemon's stat genes, its personality (it modifies maximum stats), and which stats get hidden effort value experience. I still like dragon quest monsters the most though. Pokemon's not a series i play alot, but whenever one comes out, ill definitely get it. "
This proves how vastly opinions differ. I am also 24, and I vomit a little bit any time I see anything Pokemon. I kind of envy you in a deranged way though, Pokemon seems like the ultimate time killer!
#17 Posted by slinky6 (567 posts) -
@MB said:
" How old are you guys? Vinny, Jeff and I are around the same age, and I have absolutely zero interest in anything Pokemon. I think people our age missed that fad by about a generation. "
Ryan likes the pokeman if his fairly recent gamespot review of diamond and pearl is any indication.   Age doesn't really have anything to do with it.   They're well made games, you either like them or you don't.

In response to the topic.   Fuck no.
#18 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -
@Stang said:
" @Heartagram said:
" @lemon360 said:
" @MB said:
Yeah a lot of kids animes have parts where you fight in a strip club and gay bath house "
Or have scenes where a dead body is hanging from power lines. Please, no comparisons between P4 and Pokemon. That would just be ridiculous. "
Only because Pokemon is the better game.
#19 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Stang: really? Vomit inducing? Well you just have to remember that the cartoon is awful and really has little to do with the game. The pokemon cartoon is to the pokemon games as the Super mario brothers movies are to super mario games. Noone should hold the shows against the game. The game predates the cartoon and the card game, btw. That's a common misconception. I'm not sure what in the game itself would be so abhorrent. Unless you hate rpg's and levelling. Monster collecting games were all the rage in the late 1990's early 00's. There was pokemon, Dragon warrior monsters, Magi-nation, Robopon, azure dreams, monster rancher, jade cocoon, persona 2, and metal walker just to name a few. Those were good times.
#20 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

I like the Pokemon games, but no. Mainstream games aren't really good ideas for Endurance Runs. Also, I doubt anyone on the staff of Giant Bomb cares about Pokemon.

#21 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Short version: No
Long version: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

#22 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

for an endurance run you need a game that's heavy on plot that is interesting either because its really bad ass or funny in a good mst3k way and not just straight up bad or boring. It also wouldnt probably hurt if it wasnt super hard or long. And it should be sort of obscure so that the GB staff wont get a cease and desist. My suggestion? Ar Tonelico. Its easy, totally batshit, and very very suggestive.

#23 Posted by Stang (4726 posts) -
@Supermarius:

Sorry if i offended you, it was not my intention. RPG's are my favorite type of games, I just could not get into Pokemon. My problem is that every fucking reiteration felt just like that last. Play one, you played them all. That may not be true now, but it sure seemed so back in the day.

I have no real room to talk, while you were playing Pokemon as a kid, I was watching Power Rangers. In retrospect, that show was absolutely abysmal!
#24 Edited by KnifeySpoony (1164 posts) -

After beating persona 4 last night and knowing what is ahead of Jeff and Vinny, I would rather have them go all the way on persona 4 and beat it.

Also watching people play pokemon is incredibly dull.

#25 Edited by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Stang: don't feel bad about watching power rangers, for a kids show it was pretty great. The second series of it had johnny young bosh, who's one of my favorite voice actors. And wasnt the zeo theme awesome?
Power Rangers Zeo Theme
#26 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I never could or never will be able to get into pokemon or like pokemon. Just something about it seams outright boring.
Also what system is that Ar Tonelico game? it seams funny in that "wtf" kinda way.

#27 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@zityz: its a ps2 game, it came out last year. There is a sequel out too.
#28 Posted by GloomyTangent (194 posts) -
@Supermarius: Is the whole game that sort of vibe? Because if it is, this absolutely gets my vote...  Wow.
#29 Posted by Icemael (6322 posts) -

I love the the Pokemon games(oh wait I hate Pokemon because I'm so insecure about my maturity and manliness, I could never play it it's for kids like the Mario games lol) , but a Pokemon ER? Hell no.

#30 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@GloomyTangent: well the whole thing is about these extremely powerful but emotionally fragile female song-magic users. They partner up with a protector, who is male and they get more powerful as they become more emotionally involved with their protector. Besides an ongoing sci-fi / fantasy rpg plot, there is a subplot where the main character, one of these protectors, must enter the mind of his song mage lady (called a rayvatail) and help her deal with emotional issues in order to unlock stronger magic and further the plot. It's sort of anime-syrupy, but the song magic hook is cool, and the whole game is pretty neat 2d sprite art and there is a really nice soundtrack. I havent finished it. Its really pretty odd, thats the best thing about it. It was made by Gust and released by NIS. Gust also makes the Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia games, and those are nice too. Mana Khemia might work too. hmmmm.

The sequel allows you to power up multiple rayvetails by strategically positioning the girls in a bubble bath. I'm not making that up.
#31 Posted by Jeremy_x (447 posts) -
@Supermarius: Ar Tonelico: SOLD!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.