Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

New Pokemon game.. is a crossover?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Pokemon is teaming up with Nobunaga's Ambition, a series of turn based role-playing games!

No Caption Provided

As a big supporter of the games.. this feels more than a little desperate and tacky on Nintendo's part. Why does Pokemon need a cross over to keep it interesting? Why pick such an obscure series of games, that's only going to result in alienating the western audience? If they done this with something like Dragon Quest, I could at least see the appeal. Perhaps we'll get Pokemon x Command& Conquer instead?

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By imhungry

Seems pretty cool looking to me. Also I don't think they really have much to be 'desperate' about with this one considering the Pokemon series still does gangbusters over in Japan and doesn't quite suffer from the same burn out as western audiences seem to have experienced. Who's to say this will even see an English release anyway? Hope it does though, a Pokemon RTS would be amusing to see if nothing else.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Barrock

Come on Nintendo. Just give me a console RPG Pokemon. Shit let the Dragon Quest guys do it.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spiegel

Why "desperate" and "to keep it interesting"? It's not a main entry in the series, so whatever, like those Pokemon Ranger or something. I mean, it's for the DSi, not even the 3DS.

The japanese love crossovers, and Nobunaga's Ambition is not so obscure there. This is not a game for the west (although they could bring it over because anything with Pokémon in it sells).

shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By shikon

yeah ok this is a little weird...

on a side not you just made me intrested in Nobunaga's Ambition so thanks i guess ?

oh and the cover makes it look like those samurai have become pokemon masters lets hope thats true!

bunch of doods with swords fighting with pokemon....

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ImHungry: They still sell stupidly well everywhere. The problem is every game has been a complete re-hash of the last, they've even remade two of the games with strong rumours of the next one being another remake! Is the only way they can come up with new ideas by these silly anime cross-overs? Like I said, if it had to happen, why not at least pick a franchise with world wide appeal?

I'd like to at least see something from the series that isn't a silly cross-over or another remake.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

Weird choice of Pokemon on the cover, I mean out of the 500-600+ Pokemon there are, they choose Jigglypuff?

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Maystack

From the screenshots I've seen, it kinda looks like a pokémon RTS. Sounds good to me.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Hizang said:

Weird choice of Pokemon on the cover, I mean out of the 500-600+ Pokemon there are, they choose Jigglypuff?

Jigglypuff has always been one of the most popular, he's up there right next to Pikachu.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By imhungry

@WinterSnowblind: Well Japan loves crossovers, so there's that? But in all seriousness, I agree that Pokemon games are essentially re-hashes, but in all honesty, what could they really gonna do to change up the formula? It's like saying that Starcraft 2 is a rehash of the original because the mechanics are the same with just new units added in (not entirely true I know, but only example I could think of off the top of my head).

The only twist they've pulled that met with some success was the Pokemon Colosseum stuff, and I personally enjoyed the first game when it came out, but at the same time it was restrictive in so many other ways (limiting the Pokemon you could catch) in service of the story, and at the end of the day that's not what Pokemon games are about. The value from each new game in fan's eyes are new moves, new abilities and new pokemon that change up the battles, especially in the competitive battling scene.

At this point, a flagship Pokemon game really can't be anything other than a journey to beat 8 gyms. They mixed it up a bit with Black/White and I think that's a good sign, maybe the next installment will bring even more changes. I'm at least marginally interested in seeing 3D Pokemon.

Sorasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sorasha

You make it sound like this game would ever actually make it to the states.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sirdesmond

Yea, why hasn't a fully-fledged console Pokemon happened and been amazing? I want that.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Sorasha said:

You make it sound like this game would ever actually make it to the states.

Why wouldn't it? It has Pokemon in it and will therefore sell millions regardless, people don't need to know what the other franchise is to care.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Sooty

I am really excited to see the Pokemon RPG series continued on the 3DS. Black/White was quite impressive for the dated DS hardware. Might finally have a fully 3D Pokemon game.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar

pokemon vs dynasty warriors?

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@ ImHungry

Starcraft 2 is much more different to Starcraft 1 than Pokemon Red/Blue are to Black/White.

But apart from that aspect, it is Starcraft >2<. With a decade inbetween. At the same time we are basically at like Pokemon >15< with releases every year. Those games even cost as much if not more than Sc2 lol .It's fucking pathetic.

Also Starcraft 1 does have a very good gameplay style which basics can, no must be kept within a sequel.

Meanwhile there so much stuff to improve in Pokemon, it's not even funny. The gameplay is fucking atrocious. It has a super slow pacing, 4 direction walking (since the beginning!!!), always horrible stories (which even though its a kids game is no need) and the worst, the battle system is just interesting. Sure, you can play it on a competitive level and it may be interesting there. But playing through Pokemon? Urgh, exciting matches look different.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Sooty

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@ ImHungry

The gameplay is fucking atrocious.

If that was true it wouldn't review well, but pretty much every Pokemon main series game has scored favourable. That is all that needs to be said in regards to that comment.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jack268

So is this from Jump Festa or from CoroCoro? I was under the impression that there'd be a new game reveal in next month's issue of CoroCoro and another game reveal at Jump Festa.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By selbie

I wonder if Pokemon collecting will carry through or if you just fight dudes with a single pokemon. From the screenshots it looks like the latter. Everyone has their own pokemon mascot/sidekick.

Also you could add that pic to the pokemon + nobunaga's ambition page

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EchoEcho

Nobunaga's Ambition? Seriously? Now there's a name I haven't seen in a long time...

@sirdesmond said:

Yea, why hasn't a fully-fledged console Pokemon happened and been amazing? I want that.

I can still remember seeing screenshots of a work-in-progress, full-fledged Pokemon game for the N64 way back in the day, probably in Nintendo Power. Clearly that idea got canned. Guess they decided it's easier to sell Pokemon games to kids through their parents when they're on handhelds, due to the lower price? Hard to say! The only Pokemon games I've touched were the original Red, and Sapphire on the GBA, but I'd be lying if I said the idea of a big, open-world Pokemon game on a console didn't intrigue me. If they just spit out the equivalent of a handheld Pokemon game and were like "But look how pretty it is on the console!" I'd probably have to pass, though.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@ ImHungry

Starcraft 2 is much more different to Starcraft 1 than Pokemon Red/Blue are to Black/White.

But apart from that aspect, it is Starcraft >2<. With a decade inbetween. At the same time we are basically at like Pokemon >15< with releases every year. Those games even cost as much if not more than Sc2 lol .It's fucking pathetic.

Also Starcraft 1 does have a very good gameplay style which basics can, no must be kept within a sequel.

Meanwhile there so much stuff to improve in Pokemon, it's not even funny. The gameplay is fucking atrocious. It has a super slow pacing, 4 direction walking (since the beginning!!!), always horrible stories (which even though its a kids game is no need) and the worst, the battle system is just interesting. Sure, you can play it on a competitive level and it may be interesting there. But playing through Pokemon? Urgh, exciting matches look different.

We're on the fifth iteration of Pokemon, they're always more than a year (usually a generation) apart, and they have never been priced as much as SC2. Please actually look up information before spouting nonsense. And WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU COMPARING SC2 AND POKEMON? Both very good, but very different, games.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Hizang

@WinterSnowblind: I understand that, but it seems dumb that its Jiggypuff VS Mewtwo on the cover..

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeeGee

@Hizang said:

@WinterSnowblind: I understand that, but it seems dumb that its Jiggypuff VS Mewtwo on the cover..

Jigglypuff vs Mewtwo sounds fucking dope!

Also this will just go on the long list of obscure Japanese games that have a Pokemon crossover. Nothing new here.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

@WinterSnowblind said:

Pokemon is teaming up with Nobunaga's Ambition, a series of turn based role-playing games!

No Caption Provided

As a big supporter of the games.. this feels more than a little desperate and tacky on Nintendo's part. Why does Pokemon need a cross over to keep it interesting? Why pick such an obscure series of games, that's only going to result in alienating the western audience? If they done this with something like Dragon Quest, I could at least see the appeal. Perhaps we'll get Pokemon x Command& Conquer instead?

This is one of those cases where they obviously aren't looking at the Western audience. As Japanese developers, they're looking to make this spinoff as successful as possible for their market. The next Western game will be the next in the RPG series, which is totally being developed as we speak, probably for a Fall release in Japan and a Spring 2013 release in America.

There will always be filler releases for the Pokemon franchise. This is at least something more interesting (to me, at least) than the other filler releases they've done.

NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@GunslingerPanda said:

@NaDannMaGoGo said:

@ ImHungry

We're on the fifth iteration of Pokemon, they're always more than a year (usually a generation) apart, and they have never been priced as much as SC2. Please actually look up information before spouting nonsense. And WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU COMPARING SC2 AND POKEMON? Both very good, but very different, games.

5th iteration of the main series perhaps. But add to that all those remakes and inbetween versions (like Emerald etc). I compare it to Starcraft 2 because someone else brought it up and I just want to clarify how shitty the "evolution" of the Pokemon game series has been.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By SerHulse

@NaDannMaGoGo: You clearly have not been playing Pokemon at all if you think there is no difference between Red/Blue and Black/White (mechanics and gameplay wise)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.