Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Pokemon- The 5th Generation has been announced

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

According to IGN, the next trio of Pokemon games will be released in Japan before the end of the current calendar year. It will be interesting to see what this one does to the formula. If they just add another 100 pokemon, I probably won't be on board. However, if they maybe thin out the roster, do something new and unique with the story, and perhaps open up more than one region, this could have me more psyched than the upcoming Gold and Silver remakes.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By apathylad

Let's be honest...the Pokemon formula hasn't changed much since the beginning, but we all still enjoy playing the games. :P Anyway, I'm definitely interested in seeing what designs they come up with if there are new Pokemon. I wonder what they'll call the next games: Light/Dark? Spirit/Shadow? Rhythm/Meter?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

What jewels/colours are they gonna be?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

The original 150 (151?) is still where my heart lies. As the generations of Pokemon progresses, it seems they just grow weirder and weirder (to the point where they almost look like splotches of paint randomly strewn about). Also I've never understood how they've contextualized the introduction of new Pokemon. They just "discovered" this new batch of Pokemon? They didn't see them all that time? Even if they were in different regions the Professors and the Pokedex would've had information on them. 

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart
    @Geno said:
    " The original 150 (151?) is still where my heart lies. As the generations of Pokemon progresses, it seems they just grow weirder and weirder (to the point where they almost look like splotches of paint randomly strewn about). Also I've never understood how they've contextualized the introduction of new Pokemon, they just "discovered" this new batch of Pokemon. They didn't see them all that time? Even if they were in different regions the Professors and the Pokedex would've had information on them.  "
    in Soul Silver/Heart gold, everything is made clear.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

God ... why as Pokemon become like this ...

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By vinsanity09

Man, people still play Pokémon? I remember playing the Red/Blue/Yellow versions when I was 11, I was a big fan too. But as soon as they added the new ones, I just gave up

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Romination
    @Geno said:
    " The original 150 (151?) is still where my heart lies. As the generations of Pokemon progresses, it seems they just grow weirder and weirder (to the point where they almost look like splotches of paint randomly strewn about). Also I've never understood how they've contextualized the introduction of new Pokemon. They just "discovered" this new batch of Pokemon? They didn't see them all that time? Even if they were in different regions the Professors and the Pokedex would've had information on them.  "
    i always just understood it as "there's new pokemon on THIS island". That's what made more sense to me. Not like Diamond/Pearl did when they introduced new Pokemon as soon as you got the new Dex. They had a place they naturally existed, and this is it. You don't have them in your pokedex simply because you're not in a place they exist.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By JJOR64

I seen that over at the Pokemon Japanese site.  I'm really looking forward to this more then I am with HeartGold/SoulSilver.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Pokemon is for 9 year olds.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Pokemon is for 9 year olds. "
    You need to bring back the BOY_FLANNEL deep inside you and you will have so much more fun  ^-^
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Capum15
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" Pokemon is for 9 year olds. "

I'm sure 9 year olds are the ones figuring out how EVs and IVs work, along as how to use the radar to make huge chains for an increased chance to find a 'mon who's shiny or has the right ability, or the Masuda method.

Or the whole competitive battling scene.

The only thing "for 9 year olds" would be the main story up to the end of the Elite 4. Even that's getting less "easy" with all the new types, attacks and buffs with each subsequent generation. If you even bother to peak at the mechanics, it's quite deep.

...sorry if this sounded like an angry rant or something, I just mean it's not "For 9 year olds" or little kids anymore. The show? It's definitely for kids. The games? Somewhat. Hardly like it used to be.

...eh, anyway, on topic, I have no idea what they could do for this new generation. I mean, they already have Space, Time and an "Opposite Dimension" Pokemon, along with one who's basically God.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei

So, have those games after Diamond and Pearl come out? Fuck if I know.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB

Speaking as someone who owns every Pokemon RPG game, to date, through to Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, they're going to have to make some major  overhaul to this game to get me interested. I'm all Pokemon-ed out.

No Caption Provided

(Picture is pre-Platinum)
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Capum15
    @AndrewB: ...alright, you win. I thought I had a bunch...
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AndrewB
    @Capum15: Muahaha.... I was a shameless Pokemon addict, growing up.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure

I'm excited, not sure what else to say really. Hope there is even more content after you beat the main story portion of the game than P/D had, would be mind blowing.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

I still think the best game in terms of map design, refinement of the concepts, and a fun main quest is Ruby/Sapphire. Height of the series... well other than G/S, but R/S is my personal favourite. Doesn't matter though I'll play every game till I die, or it ends.  

it's my prime guilty pleasure, I kinda drop off the grid for a few days when a pokemon game comes out, then I surface quietly not mentioning a word to anyone.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Capum15
    @XII_Sniper: I loved Emerald the mostest.

@AndrewB: So was I. If I had a DS, I'd probably have D/P/Pt, too (and uh, not emulated, actually bought...>.>).

They need to make another "Current Gen" Pokemon Stadium. I'd play the hell out of that.

Edit: I never get why people don't like to admit (or are embarrassed that) they play the games. The games are good, and the whole combat system is pretty deep for what it is. Solid stories...hell, there are tons of people out there who are not "kids" (as I stated before) and such who play, collect and battle each other. There are entire theories or guides on some mechanics such as the Pokeradar. This stuff is deep. The strongest monsters are no match for someone who knows the mechanics. True for a lot of games, actually.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AndrewB
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " I still think the best game in terms of map design, refinement of the concepts, and a fun main quest is Ruby/Sapphire. Height of the series... well other than G/S, but R/S is my personal favourite. Doesn't matter though I'll play every game till I die, or it ends.   it's my prime guilty pleasure, I kinda drop off the grid for a few days when a pokemon game comes out, then I surface quietly not mentioning a word to anyone. "
    Gold/Silver is still my idea of the height of the series. Having this extensive map that included a whole new section and the entire map from the old game was pretty awesome, even if the content in that latter portion of the game could have been better (Kanto feels a little too thrown-in, and not very polished). The final fight with Red is still the most epic thing you can do besides fighting Arceus in D/P/P (which is only possible through hacks or "events", so it's not obtainable by all).
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJOR64

I used to have all of them, but over time I sold the ones I would never play anymore.  The ones I still own are Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, Diamond, and Platinum.  I never bought Pearl.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#22  Edited By the8bitNacho

The best thing this could possibly do is return Misty to the anime.  Seriously.  I'd watch it again if the original trio were intact.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Evilsbane

Its been the same game since the beginning so unless its some drastic next gen 3D thing I think ill pass.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ
    @AndrewB:  

Dude, yes. That Red fight was awesome! 

The reason I liked Ruby/Sapphire so much is because they flesh out the world more, add a lot more stuff to do, but also keep it manageable and not too stupid and crazy. D/P/P took it a little too far, but the main reason I like R/S so much more is the map. I dunno something about it is just really nice and relaxing for me. It's also not quite as drab as D/P/P's maps. R/S's world seemed a little more colorful, and a little more fleshed out then any of the other worlds in the game. 

I just say G/S was the overall best (not my favourite, 2nd fav) because of yeah the extra map they give you, the sheer amount of content for a gameboy game at the time, and how cool it was. That one also felt the most japanese to me, especially the japan-inspired towns and areas which kinda alienated me a bit. R/S felt more like a place I'd like to visit for realsies.
    rockenhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By rockenhard

I wonder how they're gonna make more pokemon.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

I wasn't really a fan of Diamond/Pearl, but I couldn't be more stoked for the Gold/Silver remakes. Honestly, I don't see myself getting into another new generation.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By JonathanMoore

It's a franchise that is in my heart. But unfortunately I just aint excited at this point in time for another set of Pokemon to come out, only for them to be uninventive and boring.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Bones8677
    @AndrewB: I agree, the Silver and Gold game were the height of the series. I loved those games, but after those I started to wain on my love of the games. It's just the same all the time, and with pokemon that I don't give a lick about. I'd say it's high time for a full on remake of the original game.

But I have to ask, why the Japanese versions of the DS games?
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CornontheCobbe

So whats that now, 198293 Pokemon and counting? What happened to the original 152 or whatever it was.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @AndrewB said:
    " Speaking as someone who owns every Pokemon RPG game, to date, through to Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, they're going to have to make some major  overhaul to this game to get me interested. I'm all Pokemon-ed out.

No Caption Provided
    (Picture is pre-Platinum) "
    Hey! I remember those gold plated Pokeball thingies. Ha, those were awesome. I still have mine....somewhere.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrankCanada97

This sums it up for me.
     This sums it up for me.
    I really wish they did something different than just adding another 100 Pokemon.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By InfiniteGeass

There are only really 2 generations of Pokemon as far as I'm concerned.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tuggah

will this be DS only? (I only have a Game Boy Advanced SP)

ColinRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ColinRyan

I demand to be allowed into Bill's Garden!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AndrewB
    @eroticfishcake: Yup! I keep telling myself it'll be worth money someday.... hah...

I even kept one of the bonus Pearl styluses in its original packaging.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Afroman269

It's only a fever dream to believe that they will change the formula. As for the people saying it's a kid's game is stupid, you don't have to be kid to enjoy those games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Despite how much I think that the formula for Pokemon games are mind-numbingly conservative in their design, I am considering a purchase of Heart Gold/Soul Silver because those are remakes of the best games in the series (and also the only installments that introduced dramatic game changes from the original formula). However, it would take a lot of convincing for me to care about the next generation if all they are going to do is add another 100 pokeymanz and call it good.

AzureFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By AzureFlame

Well a magazine in japan just revealed two of the new pokemon for generation 5. The little ones name is Zorua and it's evolution is Zoroark, and the info given about them is that they are Dark types.

No Caption Provided
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Linkyshinks

The first is known as Zorua/Zoroa, a pre-evolution Dark Pokemon classified as "Evil Fox", the bigger variety dubbed Zoroark/Zoroaaku, also dark but classifed as "Monster Fox".     

No Caption Provided
    http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml    
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hamz

How the fuck is the Pokemon franchise still so god damned popular after all this time? It seriously blows my mind to know people are still infatuated by such a simple concept. Before people wish to beat me silly with blunt objects let me just say I was into Pokemon back in its early stages. I just find myself so utterly confused as to how it has maintained such steady popularity after all this time.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By ajamafalous
    @AndrewB: What's the second blue GBA game?

Unless... two Sapphires?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AndrewB
    @ajamafalous: Two Sapphires. One of them I got for free somewhat recently.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AndrewB
    @Hamz said:
    " How the fuck is the Pokemon franchise still so god damned popular after all this time? It seriously blows my mind to know people are still infatuated by such a simple concept. Before people wish to beat me silly with blunt objects let me just say I was into Pokemon back in its early stages. I just find myself so utterly confused as to how it has maintained such steady popularity after all this time. "
    It's funny that so many people say that, because if you've played the games throughout the series, you'd realize just how much the fundamental combat system has evolved over they years. It's really easy for the people who just pick it up and play and battle through the main story, but for those into competitive battling, or the more difficult after-story battles, or those simply wanting to get the best Pokemon they possibly can, the levelling system and combat has some incredibly deep elements.

Even if you're not so crazy as to delve into all that, it's just a really fun roleplaying game. They just can't keep repeating the same formula forever, though... it is starting to wear thin.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DCFGS3
    @Hamz: One word: Japan.

I have Pokemon blue and gold on emulators for my phone, and I was playing blue one day in tutor, when one of the younger guys in my tutor asked me what the fuck pokemon blue was. I was just astounded, but seriously, these guys were actually my age (a grade below me), so I fail to see what the hell they've achieved in their lives. I like pokemon, I really do, but alas, no DS and I don't see the replay value nor desire to collect em' all. I won't be buying DS anytime soon, so maybe I'll wait for the trusty emulators. Also holding for a Pokemon MMORPG, with real fight mechanics, not just turn based, although even with turn based iot would still be rad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.