What the next Pokemon game should have

#1 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

I got Pokemon Pearl for Christmas and to be honest, I found it to be really disappointing.  There were a few annoying things with this game.

1) Lame Pokemon-  I was really upset with the line up of new pokemon to be offered.  The pokemon line-up usually tends to be really diverse, easily accessible to anyone.  You could have your cute Charmander lizard or evolve it into a Fire Breathing Flying Dragon that will rip people's balls off.  There were always some quirky ones set in there like Tangela with its vines for a body.  It really had those options for all generations of pokemon.  There were only a handful of pokemon worth checking out.
Lucario, Darkrai, and the Shinx evolution chain (which includes Luxio and Luxray).

Here is the list for the Diamond/Pearl Pokemon.  New comers might be pleased with the set that is offered but Veterans are likely to be disappointed.
Compared to earlier list, it is easy to tell how lame the new pokemon look.


2)  Better organization of Apps-  Apps isn't revolutionary to the series.  It is an off shoot of the Cell Phone, Radio, Map, and Watch that was in Gold and Silver.  The difference is ease of use.  There are 20 apps to use and it is clunky as hell to navigate between them.  It takes so much time to sort through them.  Some of them I don't really care for in use.  I want to have the option to sort through to go from the App I am using for to the the App I want to use or at least turn off the ones I don't want to use.

Here is the list of of Apps.

3)  Lack of old regions-  This was the unique gem from Gold and Silver that was dropped in following games.  Being able to explore how Kanto changed was an interesting experince.  Sure, it wasn't as in-depth as Johto was but expanding the game to explore Kanto.  Then bringing out all the regions for this new pokemon game would be kick ass.  It should include at least the following regions: Kanto + Sevii Islands, Johto, Hoenn + Battle Frontier, Sinnoh and the exclusive Orange Islands.  Regions such as Orre, Fiore, and Almia would be nice.

4)  A video game within a video game- Okay, this is a rip off of Suda 51's idea.  They should throw small little portable minigames into the mix.  Maybe set up a ranking system to compare your scores against the worlds.  Just make it fun, exciting, and challenging.  The game is a bit of free roaming experience, why shouldn't introduce real life concepts like video games(in fact they do, they are you in your bed room).




#2 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I agree also.

#4 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I think some of the pokemon from the Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl need to be removed, especially the fuckton of legendaries in D/P. However, I have no idea how to decide which ones to get rid of, since Im sure people love the ones id throw away. 

I have little doubt that the app system will be touched up
More places to go would be great
The Video Game within a Video Game idea seems kind of pointless...
You know, IGN has been doing a "pokemon report" thing the last few months, and an idea they threw out there was renovating the battle system, making it real-time (ALA TWEWY). I think that would actually be a great idea, though testing it out on a pokemon spinoff first might be smart. 
#5 Posted by Icemael (6316 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"You know, IGN has been doing a "pokemon report" thing the last few months, and an idea they threw out there was renovating the battle system, making it real-time (ALA TWEWY). I think that would actually be a great idea, though testing it out on a pokemon spinoff first might be smart. "
I really, really don't think they should change the battle system. It's perfect as it is. If they make spinoffs with real-time battles, cool, but in the main games... no. It would piss off practically every single fan of the main Pokemon games, including me.
#6 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Icemael said:
"AgentJ said:
"You know, IGN has been doing a "pokemon report" thing the last few months, and an idea they threw out there was renovating the battle system, making it real-time (ALA TWEWY). I think that would actually be a great idea, though testing it out on a pokemon spinoff first might be smart. "
I really, really don't think they should change the battle system. It's perfect as it is. If they make spinoffs with real-time battles, cool, but in the main games... no. It would piss off practically every single fan of the main Pokemon games, including me.
"
Then maybe giving the option,  ala Chrono Trigger or Fallout 3 might be positive
#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

What a new Pokemon game needs :

1. Full 3D graphics, made for Wii
2. Character development and story, maybe also Misty and May, just cuz

I agree most of the newer pokemon are extremely lame.

#8 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Diamond said:
"What a new Pokemon game needs :1. Full 3D graphics, made for Wii2. Character development and story, maybe also Misty and May, just cuzI agree most of the newer pokemon are extremely lame."
I think that saying "most" is pushing it. The majority of them are fine, but there are some, especially in the Ruby-Sapphire era, that just need to dissapear. 
#9 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"Diamond said:
"What a new Pokemon game needs :1. Full 3D graphics, made for Wii2. Character development and story, maybe also Misty and May, just cuzI agree most of the newer pokemon are extremely lame."
I think that saying "most" is pushing it. The majority of them are fine, but there are some, especially in the Ruby-Sapphire era, that just need to dissapear. 
"
Well, I only actually liked about half the original Pokemon anyways, now for me it's significantly less than half.  Still I don't know if they should remove them, odds are they'd remove something I liked, and it'd just be less content that way.
#10 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

> An apocalypse that kills every Pokemon that appear after the first 151
> Misty and May, girl on girl action >_>

#11 Posted by Teh_Eel (296 posts) -

A pokemon Blue/red remake for the Wii, that would make me a very happy lad.

#12 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

heres what pokemon needs, new battle system

#13 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Non-midi Pokemon crys and some actual interaction between fighting Pokemon (rather than an animation overlay) would go a long way.

#14 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
Black_Rose said:
"> An apocalypse that kills every Pokemon that appear after the first 151> Misty and May, girl on girl action >_>"
I wont even play a pokemon game that doesnt have Cyndaquil, Ralts, and Mawile in it, so that idea can go die.
#15 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11622 posts) -

I agree with TC's ideas. However, Pokemon is nothing more than a license to print money, giving no pressure to nintendo to innovate or even try to mix up the formula. So in other words, expect the next generation of Pokeymanz to add 80 or so new Pokemon that look really dumb, but not much else.

Best Pokemon games were Gold and Silver (and Crystal). No real contest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.