Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Poker Night 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 24, 2013

The sequel to Telltale Games's poker-crossover game, Poker Night at the Inventory, branching out into beloved characters who aren't even tangentially related to video games.

What's wrong with "re-raises"?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

I'm not even 100% sure just what exactly a "re-raise" is, but whenever I do such a thing players in this game get all snarky and surprised/offended. GLaDOS made mention that it's against "poker etiquette".

What gives? Can a more experienced poker player elucidate on the subject matter? Thanks!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

A re-raise is any raise to occur after the first in a betting round.

Are you raising it by an amount equal to or greater than the previous raise? Like, if player X raises it $5, are you raising it another $5 or more?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Unsure. It's definitely not when I call - only when I raise the value of the bet by a second time in a round do they complain, and I wanna say that happens regardless of how much I raise the bet.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@snail said:

@starvinggamer: Unsure. It's definitely not when I call - only when I raise the value of the bet by a second time in a round do they complain, and I wanna say that happens regardless of how much I raise the bet.

It's probably just that they're all annoyed you won't call after already raising once.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Snail

@hailinel: Don't know. Sam says something like "hey, I thought this was a friendly game of poker". There are a bunch of lines about how it's out of order or something. Seems odd that that would be the reason behind those reactions. But I don't know. Maybe it is!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@snail: I don't actually play so the only Poker knowledge I have comes from hardcore TV gambling and video games. It's probably exactly as they say, re-raising is frowned upon when you're just playing a friendly game. Does it happen if you re-raise on the river? Or just the flop and the turn?

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By hero_swe

It means the players have to spend more of their money to even see if they have gotten a good hand. It's a valid tactic and you should just ignore the AI. Be aware though that doing so can also sucker more money out of yourself.

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They are mostly just pulling your leg, I think they are mostly talking about doing the minimum raise after someone has just minimum raised which is kinda frowned upon, a larger raise wouldn't raise any concern. I personally don't care about that kinda stuff except for when the person with the large blind does the minimum raise when a full table of players just called because then you have to go around the table again for nothing really but even that isn't a big deal.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@snail: re raising is a bully tactic. Its used to intimidate, so thats why you get comments like I thought this was a friendly game.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright thanks guys! I'll have to check whether it's only the minimum raise or any raise that drives them mad, but I think I've got a good enough answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.