Go Watch Captain N (Actually, Go Watch Pole Position)

• 84 results
Posted by Jeff (3341 posts) -
I want to know more about this girl's haircare regiment. 
Oh man, I spotted this on Destructoid last night and it's been in danger of ruining my productivity for the rest of the week. It seems that someone's gone ahead and launched an on-demand video site for cartoons. It's called Jaroo, and it's got a load of third-rate cartoons from the '80s for you to "enjoy."

The gaming tie-in is that they've got episodes of Captain N, Sonic Underground, and episodes of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda, which are presented with the live-action bits of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, so you'll get a little Captain Lou up in here (pour one out for the god, by the way).

But then there's Pole Position. Man, I forgot that Pole Position existed, but yeah, someone decided to license Namco's driving game for use in a cartoon, then made it about a brother/sister duo who drive cars that can convert into hydrofoils and stuff. And they fight crime. And the cars have crappy computer faces in them that talk to the kids like it was a bad episode of Knight Rider. That's assuming, of course, that "a bad episode of Knight Rider" was actually possible.

The non-gaming stuff is even more obscure. The most relevant thing available is Inspector Gadget, though I'm far more interested in seeing if Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is any good, since I vaguely remember that from my youth. There's also a database entry for something called "Siegfried & Roy," but hitting it loads up episodes of a Sherlock Holmes cartoon. Man, a Siegfried & Roy cartoon would be just about the most awesomest bestest thing I could ever imagine, but the Sherlock Holmes cartoon is set in the 22nd century, so... yeah, that's still pretty good.

Check out the site at jaroo.com.
Staff Online
#1 Posted by Jeff (3341 posts) -
I want to know more about this girl's haircare regiment. 
Oh man, I spotted this on Destructoid last night and it's been in danger of ruining my productivity for the rest of the week. It seems that someone's gone ahead and launched an on-demand video site for cartoons. It's called Jaroo, and it's got a load of third-rate cartoons from the '80s for you to "enjoy."

The gaming tie-in is that they've got episodes of Captain N, Sonic Underground, and episodes of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda, which are presented with the live-action bits of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show, so you'll get a little Captain Lou up in here (pour one out for the god, by the way).

But then there's Pole Position. Man, I forgot that Pole Position existed, but yeah, someone decided to license Namco's driving game for use in a cartoon, then made it about a brother/sister duo who drive cars that can convert into hydrofoils and stuff. And they fight crime. And the cars have crappy computer faces in them that talk to the kids like it was a bad episode of Knight Rider. That's assuming, of course, that "a bad episode of Knight Rider" was actually possible.

The non-gaming stuff is even more obscure. The most relevant thing available is Inspector Gadget, though I'm far more interested in seeing if Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is any good, since I vaguely remember that from my youth. There's also a database entry for something called "Siegfried & Roy," but hitting it loads up episodes of a Sherlock Holmes cartoon. Man, a Siegfried & Roy cartoon would be just about the most awesomest bestest thing I could ever imagine, but the Sherlock Holmes cartoon is set in the 22nd century, so... yeah, that's still pretty good.

Check out the site at jaroo.com.
Staff Online
#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12391 posts) -

HURRAY FOR CAPTAIN N 
this site is scary. but hey, a pole position cartoon. 

#3 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Id rather not...

#4 Edited by ahoodedfigure (4237 posts) -

I still remember the part where Jayce got stuck in a high-gravity planet and he was squishing *cut to commercial*.  That, and the badguys were plants.

And the Pole Position theme song...

Hmm.

Actually, that " Ulysses" show is pretty good, even watching it through jaded adult eyes.  Didn't see it until a few years ago because I'm not sure it was very well-known in the States.  Check that one out, at least.  They even rip off the Star Wars theme song at one point :)

#5 Posted by Jensonb (1645 posts) -

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century is one of the dumbest cartoons I ever saw.

And yes, I really watched it.

#6 Posted by buzz_clik (6838 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" HURRAY FOR CAPTAIN N "
And huzzah for Jeff making my productivity come to a complete standstill!

A Pole Position cartoon? Man, Australia missed out on some real gems (but not Jem).
#7 Posted by Impossibilium (679 posts) -

Jayce had an awesome theme song.

#8 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

I just went there for the inspector gadget theme song. Ah, good memories.

#9 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4499 posts) -

The name " Pole Position " is just asking for someone to start talking about sexual innuendo (in YOUR endo!) in kids cartoons.

#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Nice!  It's the Super Mario Bros Super Show!

This is what I always wished Cartoon Network would be.

#11 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11035 posts) -

You know, I only enjoy those cartoons ironically. I wouldn't actually go out of my way to watch them when I could be playing Dragon Age instead. However, the address is noted for future reference.

#12 Posted by khakionion (1 posts) -

I saw the Siegfried & Roy cartoon. It is far from being the awesomest, bestest thing ever. :)

#13 Posted by Dimsey (943 posts) -

Captain N! Nice. Super Mario Bros Super Show! Nice. Sonic! Okay. The Legend of Zelda! Well excuuuuuuse meeee, princess! Yeah. Lame. 
But they've got Mummies Alive, which is awesome. Not video game related I think, but awesome.

#14 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

If it has Inspector Gadget, it CAN'T be a bad thing.

#15 Posted by Shadow (4966 posts) -

Awe...no Tick
#16 Posted by ChrisTaran (1489 posts) -

Damn it!  Was hoping they had Denver the Last Dinosaur!!

#17 Posted by Freebooter (5 posts) -

THANK YOU JEFF GERSTMANN SHERLOCK HOLMES WITH ROBOT WATSON IS THE BEST YOU ARE THE BEST

THERE WAS AN EPISODE WHERE A GUY CHEATED AT FUTURE LAZER TAG AND THAT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH A GUY GETTING FROZEN IT"S LIKE SPACE VIDEO GAMES CORRUPTING OUR YOUTH IT  WAS GREAT

#18 Edited by watertails (98 posts) -

Jeff, it's actually spelled "regimen," unless that lady's hair is in the army.  Yay, spelling nitpicks!

But hey, Inspector Gadget!

#19 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

This owns HARD.  Captain N is terrible but nevertheless I shall now watch it.

#20 Posted by ParaParaKing (104 posts) -

Also this actually works outside of the US unlike Hulu.

#21 Posted by Andorski (5113 posts) -

Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad for the mutha' ****** win.

#22 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

Hahaha chain-smoking Megaman

#23 Posted by yakov456 (1873 posts) -

Yes! Pole position was one of my favorites as a kid. M.A.S.K. was pretty sweet too.

#24 Posted by andymc1989 (95 posts) -

Damn you Jeff! The Zelda cartoon can not be unseen :(

#25 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

UNIIIII!

#26 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

Now I'm hooked on the brothers!

#27 Posted by Juvarial (305 posts) -

This shit is DOPE O_O

#28 Posted by Valke (70 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad for the mutha' ****** win. "
THIS
#29 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1133 posts) -

Dear Internet,

I have finals in a week and half. Please stop fucking up my productivity until then.

Love,
Laszlo

#30 Posted by Contra (247 posts) -

I'm really glad you introduced me to this ¬___¬

Its 130 am, and I've watched 2 episodes of Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century... a show that I was sure until an hour ago I had imagined, and had never actually happened.

#31 Posted by Oy (278 posts) -

Super Mario, Zelda, Captain N, and even Inspector Gadget are all on Netflix streaming....Just FYI.
#32 Posted by JesusV2 (13 posts) -

MUMMIES ALIVE

Yes sweet 90s come back to me

#33 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

HOLY SHIT! MUMMIES ALIVE!

#34 Edited by Teptom (2045 posts) -
@thedj93 said:

" HOLY SHIT! MUMMIES ALIVE! "

I wasn't going to click  the link, but this has convinced me to do so.
#35 Posted by mosespippy (3759 posts) -

What is a late 1990's Canadian live action drama (Emily of New Moon) doing being on a list of 1980's kids cartoons?

#36 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

There is a lot of great cartoons on there. I have the first season of super mario brothers super show. It's corney as shit but still quite enjoyable to watch. 

Now all they need to put on there is C.O.P.S. and I'm set.
#37 Posted by Spiral_Stars (456 posts) -

Give it to me straight.....

Will there be any Max Mini?

#38 Posted by DriveupLife (896 posts) -

Super Mario Brothers? Hmmmm...
THE MAGIC BALOON

#39 Posted by Raulito (46 posts) -
@Andorski: I am watching an episode right now and Holy ****! I didn't know Tim Curry was the voice of the main villain Kilokhan!!!
#40 Posted by Sweep (8545 posts) -

Haha, the Wombles. What the fuck were those cat's thinking.

*goes back to re-watching the endurance run*

#41 Posted by sgjackson (527 posts) -

I clicked in the hopes that the Mega Man cartoon would be there to destroy my nostalgia. I am now disappointed. :(

#42 Posted by athleticsfan (10 posts) -

Well, there goes my productivity for the next month or so... 

Of course, the site would be even better if it included any of these: 

Silverhawks
Thundercats 
Dungeons & Dragons 
Turbo Teen 
Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling  
Bravestarr 
M.A.S.K.
Galaxy High (corny, I know) 
The Real Ghostbusters 

Great start, though.

#43 Posted by Bwast (1334 posts) -

Mona the Vampire! Hahaha! "Show us your fangs! Yay, Mona!"

#44 Posted by Brackynews (3966 posts) -
I am impressed it's working fine in Canada.  Up yours Hulu.  Definitely some good stuff in the catalog, though the librarian in me hopes they wake up and stop sorting by "The". Littles and Wizard of Oz will feature heavily in my weekend.  (Yes, the Cinar Oz with Margot Kidder narrating. Woop woop!)
Also, Captain N totally sucks at Punch-Out!  0 points and no health after the first minute against King Hippo?  At least he's using the Advantage.
Love that dog though.
#45 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (808 posts) -

Too bad they don't have Samurai Pizza Cats. I was totally obsessed with that show as a kid.

#46 Posted by Xeiphyer (5590 posts) -

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! THE SUPER MARIO BROS. SUPER SHOW TIME!!!

This is great! =D I've been wanting a site like this for a while!

#47 Posted by JohnDudebro (924 posts) -

Assuming that a bad episode of Knight Rider is impossible means you never saw the new series. In that, EVERY episode is a bad episode.

#48 Posted by UnreliableNarrator (51 posts) -

No Biker Mice from Mars? No thank you.

#49 Posted by Killroycantkill (1361 posts) -

OMG, best site ever. Thanks a lot Jeff I didn't need something else to distract me from school lol.

#50 Posted by Krystal_Sackful (808 posts) -

Whoa! Mona The Vampire is actually pretty good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.