I'm so sick of 3D, just GO AWAY!

Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Before I was unleashed apon the world of 3D I thought it was a good idea, 3D seemed like it just make everything more interesting, but now after being exposed to it everywhere I look I don't want to see anything in 3D ever again. Every new Blu Ray release that seems to come out now feels the need to notonly have an annyoying cardboard slip cover, but to have that 3D one that makes it so you can't make out anything on the cover. Magazines also seem to feel the need to have those 3D covers also still making it so you can't read anything on the front.

- Pause for breath -

3D movies are becoming a huge joke now, they cost alot more to see than a regular 2D movie and you have to buy the glasses. And for sombody like me that has to wear normal glasses its a right pain cause it means I have to either put the 3D glasses over my normal glasses or take off my glasses and put on the 3D ones leaving me with a decrease in my vision. Even worse I'm looking to go see Thor, and my local cinima dosn't even have a 2D version!

- Pause for breath - 

Then of course theres the 3DS, which ok the 3D works, but I sat thinking to myself earlier on today that with all this money they spent on there 3D they could have just used that money to improve the quality of there handheld indcluding battery life and make the console alot cheaper. Every 3DS game I turned on I was like "Wow this looks kinda cool, but I'm never going to play it like this, so I'll just turn the 3D all the way off and never turn it on for this game ever again."

- Storms out -

#1 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Before I was unleashed apon the world of 3D I thought it was a good idea, 3D seemed like it just make everything more interesting, but now after being exposed to it everywhere I look I don't want to see anything in 3D ever again. Every new Blu Ray release that seems to come out now feels the need to notonly have an annyoying cardboard slip cover, but to have that 3D one that makes it so you can't make out anything on the cover. Magazines also seem to feel the need to have those 3D covers also still making it so you can't read anything on the front.

- Pause for breath -

3D movies are becoming a huge joke now, they cost alot more to see than a regular 2D movie and you have to buy the glasses. And for sombody like me that has to wear normal glasses its a right pain cause it means I have to either put the 3D glasses over my normal glasses or take off my glasses and put on the 3D ones leaving me with a decrease in my vision. Even worse I'm looking to go see Thor, and my local cinima dosn't even have a 2D version!

- Pause for breath - 

Then of course theres the 3DS, which ok the 3D works, but I sat thinking to myself earlier on today that with all this money they spent on there 3D they could have just used that money to improve the quality of there handheld indcluding battery life and make the console alot cheaper. Every 3DS game I turned on I was like "Wow this looks kinda cool, but I'm never going to play it like this, so I'll just turn the 3D all the way off and never turn it on for this game ever again."

- Storms out -

#2 Posted by Fallen189 (4976 posts) -

Hook up your super nintendo then, and you'll be fine

#3 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
" Hook up your super nintendo then, and you'll be fine "

#4 Edited by phish09 (1109 posts) -

No one's forcing you to watch of play anything in 3D.   There has never been a game or movie made yet where the only option to watch or play it is in 3D.   That's like me saying "I'm so sick of hockey.  It's ruining sports.  I don't want to have to watch it or play it. "

Guess what?  I don't have to watch or play hockey. I don't enjoy hockey so I pay no attention to it.  Just ignore 3D stuff and quit complaining.

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4873 posts) -

Well you better get used to it, so many companies have put money into 3D technology at this point that they aren't gonna let it go to waste. 3D is here to say, at least for a while.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

*ahem* I think this is the page you're actually looking for.

#7 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

The easy answer for why your local cinema isn't showing Thor in 2D is that 2D makes less money. Changing a movie over to 3D while not cheap doesn't add much to the movies budget outside of time. Also your local cinema doesn't get charged much for those glasses and the required projector equipment. You however get an extra 2.50-4.00 added onto each ticket. If a movie ticket is $8 and 3D is an extra $4 then the movie is making a %50 profit over the same release in 2D. 3D is here because it makes lots of money, I'd recommend getting contacts, or buying the special 3D glasses that fit over normal glasses, sorry.

#8 Posted by Aetheldod (3542 posts) -
@Hizang:  There is a vid on Tested were Will shows you how to make a 3d lenses into 2d lenses ... you should check it out
#9 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

The worst thing about 3D is how it will create stupid constraints when you think about developing a new game engine and the end result in 2D won't be as good as if this 3D nonsense had never happened, so yeah, I wish it would go away or that  they just use it during pre-rendered cutscenes (now every clever PS3 developer use them to hide loading times)

#10 Posted by Th3_James (2576 posts) -

I like my 3DS, even though I only have SSF:IV 

other 3D shit I don't care about, and half the time I turn the 3D off when playing on my 3DS
#11 Posted by Jeust (10538 posts) -

Relax... :)

Although 3D is a gimmick here to stay. 
#12 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" No one's forcing you to watch of play anything in 3D.  "
Except the part where theatres have movies clearly available in both formats and only show the 3D version. 
#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

just ignore it dude.. that's what i do

#14 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @phish09 said:
Except the part where theatres have movies clearly available in both formats and only show the 3D version.  "
Just wait until it comes out on DVD or Bluray or don't go see it at all.  Like I say, no one is forcing you to watch or play anything in 3D.
#15 Posted by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

Suck it up princess.  3d is here to stay.  Complaining about how it is hard to see is as valid an excuse as a deaf person complaining about the radio.  Some people get boned, either pick up contacts or just avoid seeing 3d.  Plus, you complain about the 3ds battery life, but that isn't 3d's fault.  It is the fault of nintendo for being cheap and reusing the massive stock of batteries they had for the ds, instead of buying something more suited to the new platform.  With all the extra power of the 3ds, even if nintendo didn't add 3d the battery life would still be shit.

#16 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

I just saw Thor in 3D, it was decent don't get me wrong, but not worth the extra money to see.

#17 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @phish09 said:
Except the part where theatres have movies clearly available in both formats and only show the 3D version.  "
Just wait until it comes out on DVD or Bluray or don't go see it at all.  Like I say, no one is forcing you to watch or play anything in 3D. "
God forces me to see everything in 3D :(
#18 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Soone should to go back in time and **** James Cameron.

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -
@phish09 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @phish09 said:
Just wait until it comes out on DVD or Bluray or don't go see it at all.  Like I say, no one is forcing you to watch or play anything in 3D. "
That's why I use my de-3D glasses at theatres. Too bad I still have to pay extra.
#20 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I agree. 3-D is useless and adds nothing to anything.
#21 Posted by Zembosis (100 posts) -

If you really don't like 3D then don't support it.  It's the only way to make it go away.

#22 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -
@ImmortalSaiyan: It adds money to the film's revenue and I like it. There are cool moments where it really hits you well and other times it doesn't. It is kind of like CG in movies sometimes it is amazing (Lord of the Rings) or times it isn't. (Star Wars Prequels)
@XII_Sniper said:
Yeah then you're problem is with the theater owner being greedy and wanting to make more money per seat.
#23 Posted by Noct (306 posts) -

I'm a big fan of 3D gaming from what I've experienced so far from this generation of it. Granted, the old days of it on The Master System and the crappy Nintendo games (I'm looking at you Rad Racer and 3D World Runner!) were just awful, but it's infinately better now, even in anaglyph. I have Batman AA Ps3 in the old-school 3D, and I LOVE the effect. Totally reinvigorated that game for me to do a second run-through.

I don't understand the hatred of 3D I keep seeing. I agree that it's been wildly overhyped lately, and the movies that they have shoehorned the 3D into after they were made is pretty lame, but  seriously, in the cases where it was meant to be, what's your problem with it?

It adds another dimension to the experience, and isn't that what we're after? AS immersive an experience as possible?

I really don't understand why so many people say they turn off the 3D on the 3DS... I have had zero headaches from it and the only eye-strain I got was during the first couple of hours, and I wear glasses... Why does everyone hate on 3D?

#24 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

I really hate 3D as well.

#25 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Fad technology would be more awesome if it wasn't so expensive. 

#26 Posted by mnzy (2914 posts) -

I'm all for the double D's.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -
@Punk1984 said:
" @ImmortalSaiyan: It adds money to the film's revenue and I like it. There are cool moments where it really hits you well and other times it doesn't. It is kind of like CG in movies sometimes it is amazing (Lord of the Rings) or times it isn't. (Star Wars Prequels)
@XII_Sniper said:
Yeah then you're problem is with the theater owner being greedy and wanting to make more money per seat.
"
Theatre owners aren't even remotely part of the problem, it's all in hollywood demanding 90%+ of the profits for the first week. It's bullshit. Theatre owners have no choice but to squeeze every dime out of everything, I've worked at a struggling theatre, and that's the harsh reality. 
#28 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

3D is visually interesting and is not going anywhere.

#29 Edited by JEC03 (898 posts) -

I want Virtual Reality it would be awesome if done right.

#30 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" Soone should to go back in time and **** James Cameron. "
I dream about this every night...
#32 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

I like 3D when its done right. Like Avatar in the IMAX theater in 3D was breathtaking. 

#33 Posted by The_Grindilow (430 posts) -
@Hizang:  Couldn't agree more. Luckily my local cinema still shows films in non 3D for virtually half the price. I get 3D and don't get me wrong it looks good, but i can't help feeling it's all a bit gimmicky, hurts my eyes, and who wants to wear those daft glasses all the time.
#34 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@Twisted_Scot said:
" @phish09 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" @phish09 said:
God forces me to see everything in 3D :( "
lol.  Touche. 
#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9651 posts) -
@Hizang:

I understand being irritated by 3D but it's not like it has to be on for whatever it is your doing.  It is an option that you can have on or off.  So, though I don't necessarily like 3D as it has been presented so far I can't be sick of it because I haven't been forced to use it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.