Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Polygonal 3D

Concept »

Who needs 2D when we've got 3D? 3D, or 3 dimensions, is what we're used to seeing in almost every game these days, letting us do all sorts of awesome stuff like run in circles!

Old Games Suck!!!

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

Edited By Stefan

I just played the old Alice game on PC which was released ten years ago and I gotta say that the graphics are disturbingly bad. Normally I am not a duder who is crazy about high end crytekian graphics but when it looks as awful as it does in old 3D levels, the games become unplayable for me. And Alice was even a game I loved back in the day... when it comes to highly recommended games like Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time or Panzer Dragoon Saga I fail to see their value in the 21. century. Of cause I recognize what they did for later video games but that's just not enough for me to play through them entirely.  
    It's a whole different story when it comes to Sprites. Late SNES games for example still look "good" in my opinion since they seem more detailed than the early 3D games. Of cause there are exceptions on both sides. Mario 64 is still one of my favorites and preserved some nice visual delicacies - the cartoonish world made it possible I guess.  
    Though I did grow up with the development of 3D games (born 88) I was never too fond of their beginnings.  
    What do you guys think, how do you feel about old 3D games? I heard there where more people than just me that didn't enjoy FFVII when they picked it up years after the release like I did.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By Stefan

I just played the old Alice game on PC which was released ten years ago and I gotta say that the graphics are disturbingly bad. Normally I am not a duder who is crazy about high end crytekian graphics but when it looks as awful as it does in old 3D levels, the games become unplayable for me. And Alice was even a game I loved back in the day... when it comes to highly recommended games like Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time or Panzer Dragoon Saga I fail to see their value in the 21. century. Of cause I recognize what they did for later video games but that's just not enough for me to play through them entirely.  
    It's a whole different story when it comes to Sprites. Late SNES games for example still look "good" in my opinion since they seem more detailed than the early 3D games. Of cause there are exceptions on both sides. Mario 64 is still one of my favorites and preserved some nice visual delicacies - the cartoonish world made it possible I guess.  
    Though I did grow up with the development of 3D games (born 88) I was never too fond of their beginnings.  
    What do you guys think, how do you feel about old 3D games? I heard there where more people than just me that didn't enjoy FFVII when they picked it up years after the release like I did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.