Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Anyone disappointed?

• 118 results
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoeMarsden

To be honest, I don't really know why I bought Portal 2 immediately because I wasn't particularly impressed by the first one. But I bought it, played both the single-player through and the co-op very quickly, and am pretty disappointed that I spent £30 on it because there is essentially nothing to go back to now.

Anyone else in the same boat?
    Carnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Carnin

absolutely not a quality game is a quality game

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta
    @Carnin said:
    " absolutely not a quality game is a quality game "
    empty quotin this
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

Nope. The experience was more than worth the price of admission. 

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Adamsons

Beat single player and Coop in about 13 hours.

Pretty happy with that.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I did not buy it precisely because I feared I would feel like you do.
    B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By B0nd07
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Nope. The experience was more than worth the price of admission.  "
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael

Yeah, kind of. I wasn't a fan of the first Portal and hardly expected the sequel to be amazing, but I still expected it to be better than it was.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Not at all. Loved every second of it, and I don't regret spending 70€ on it.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d
    @B0nd07 said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    "
    shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shamroll

I absolutely loved Portal 2 but I understand that not every game is for everyone.  I've bought several games which afterwards I didn't understand why anyone would like it.  So don't feel bad if you don't get what all the hype is about.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PixelPrinny

I understand that when you don't agree with the general opinion of something popular it's a natural instinct to seek out like-minded individuals so you don't feel entirely disconnected, but these sorts of "I didn't like it, is anyone with me?" threads still get old =/

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Yanngc33
    @BulletproofMonk happy someone spent the same amount of cash as me.

But I don't regret it, that game was amazing
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Portal is one of the best games I've ever played, and I feel exactly the same about the sequel. 

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By wrighteous86
    @JoeMarsden said:
    " To be honest, I don't really know why I bought Portal 2 immediately because I wasn't particularly impressed by the first one. But I bought it, played both the single-player through and the co-op very quickly, and am pretty disappointed that I spent £30 on it because there is essentially nothing to go back to now.

"
    So your problem is that you bought a puzzle game, and then felt cheated that there was no replay value... in a puzzle game? Or do you want to elaborate?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn

So basically what it comes down to is that people who didn't really like the first Portal (because they have no soul) also don't like Portal 2 that much (again, because they have no soul).  Now I know!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By xyzygy

I'm holding out for when it hits the 20$ mark, or at least buy it used for that price. The Portal gameplay isn't meant to last and I refuse to pay for short games.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bybeach

I think this game alone has one of the best conclusions to a boss fight I have ever seen. I found  some of the regular stuff much harder than the boss fight.

I'm going back for the fight. just to see that again.

And no, game sucked me in.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By guiseppe
    @Soapy86 said:
    " No. Portal is one of the best games I've ever played, and I feel exactly the same about the sequel.  "
    This, pretty much.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @PixelPrinny said:
    " I understand that when you don't agree with the general opinion of something popular it's a natural instinct to seek out like-minded individuals so you don't feel entirely disconnected, but these sorts of "I didn't like it, is anyone with me?" threads still get old =/ "
    Apologies. If I'd realised there were enough similar threads to make them a bore, I would not have posted it. It was simple curiosity that lead me to create this thread.

@Wrighteous86 said: 
    " So your problem is that you bought a puzzle game, and then felt cheated that there was no replay value... in a puzzle game? Or do you want to elaborate? "
    I just expected that at the larger price point, Portal 2 would have more to offer than Portal. In addition, the introductions of gels and such game me promise of a more difficult game. It was indeed more difficult, but only slightly. With the introduction of everything that is Aperture Science and the promise that its universe holds, I had also hoped that the story would be more memorable and perhaps even had a stronger tie in with Half-Life (everything with the Borealis in Episode Two lead me to believe that perhaps there would be). Yes, Portal is a puzzle game and they don't offer much replayability, you're right - but do you not see why people may have expected more?
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By mracoon

The game more than justified its price tag.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haffy

Was kind of gutted about the length. But that's more to do with I want to play more Portal, than it being a short game.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Death_Unicorn

It was everything I expected it to be. It wasn't as refreshing as the first Portal, and I whizzed past the puzzles which is a little saddening. I enjoyed the game, especially its sense of humour, but it isn't at the caliber of the first one.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By swamplord666

Only done the single player so far and I'll still say you're wrong. Awesome game

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rockanomics

I was slightly, it was a great game but compared to all the hype it was getting for being the sequel to Portal, it didn't quite live up for me.

And I wouldn't say it's worth 50 bucks, 40 easily though.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By I_smell
    @JoeMarsden said:

" To be honest, I don't really know why I bought Portal 2 immediately because I wasn't particularly impressed by the first one. But I bought it, played both the single-player through and the co-op very quickly, and am pretty disappointed that I spent £30 on it because there is essentially nothing to go back to now.
    "

What the ff- £30 is like nearly half the price of a new game. And you can still trade it in. You get loads for trade-ins of new games, I got £25 for MvC 3 like a month after it came out.

Unless you downloaded it on Steam or something, in which case they'll probably update with really hard levels later.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @swamplord666 said:

" Only done the single player so far and I'll still say you're wrong. Awesome game "

Well, to say I'm wrong is a bit stupid. I didn't state anything as fact, I simply stated that I felt a bit disappointed with the game...and that can't be wrong.
    @I_smell said: 

" What the ff- £30 is like nearly half the price of a new game. And you can still trade it in. You get loads for trade-ins of new games, I got £25 for McC 3 like a month after it came out. "

Are you mistaking my £ for a $, by any chance? £30 is the price of a new game, for the PC anyway (typically, always exceptions). Also, yeah, they probably will update it with really hard levels later, but until then, meh.
    TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

My expectations were not extremely high, and as a result I was not disappointed. Sorry to hear you were. And so is Wheatley.

If he could see you again, he would say that he's really, truly sorry.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn

I loved every second of the single player portion of the game. I haven't started on MP yet, but I will adore it, I'm sure of it.

@TheBlackPigeon said:

" My expectations were not extremely high, and as a result I was not disappointed. Sorry to hear you were. And so is Wheatley. If he could see you again, he would say that he's really, truly sorry. "
    And that's not only because he's stranded in space, mind you.
    Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Brians
    @Enigma777 said:
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_smell

No I'm in Manchester. Black Ops was like £50 when it came out.

I mean y'know- I never buy games new. I actually got Portal 2 for £35 and was like "oh cool, that's £10 less than I was gonna pay".
    You do get like over £20 for trading in new games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zombie2011

I didn't buy it because it would have no replay value.

I played the first one once and it was good for a $5 game. However, i wouldn't pay $60 for a longer version of it.
    AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AlmostApollo
    @JoeMarsden: There are a few secrets to go back to find, I'm sure. Also, I'm not really sure why you expected it to be more difficult. All the product descriptions I've seen say that they've added to the mechanics in a way that makes the game more complex, but not more difficult.  "Advanced use of physics allow for the creation of a whole new range of interesting challenges, producing a larger but not harder game."

I think the seven to ten (depending on how much you get stuck) was the perfect length and they added co-op in there to boot. I feel like my money was completely justified when I haven't even touched co-op, although I can see why you could feel differently. If you got it on a console, you can always trade it in and get some of your money back or heck, find a friend to sell it to or trade. 

Edit: They'll be adding new levels, too, won't they? So you can always go back and get some new puzzles chambers later.
    JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @I_smell said:

" No I'm in Manchester. Black Ops was like £50 when it came out.I mean y'know- I never buy games new. I actually got Portal 2 for £35 and was like "oh cool, that's £10 less than I was gonna pay".You do get like over £20 for trading in new games. "

Yeah, but...that's Black Ops. Can't think of another series, except for another Call of Duty game (Modern Warfare 2) that surpassed the typical asking price like that. Also, PC games aren't likely candidates for trade-in anymore because of serial numbers et cetera.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It was better than I thought it would be. After all the hype I thought it would end up sucking so... Smiles?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By I_smell

Well if you've got it on PC then that's great, Valve updates tonnes of stuff into their games, and I think they're gonna release the level editor. So there'll be loads of levels out there.

JoeMarsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeMarsden
    @AlmostApollo said:
    " @JoeMarsden: There are a few secrets to go back to find, I'm sure. Also, I'm not really sure why you expected it to be more difficult. All the product descriptions I've seen say that they've added to the mechanics in a way that makes the game more complex, but not more difficult.  "Advanced use of physics allow for the creation of a whole new range of interesting challenges, producing a larger but not harder game."I think the seven to ten (depending on how much you get stuck) was the perfect length and they added co-op in there to boot. I feel like my money was completely justified when I haven't even touched co-op, although I can see why you could feel differently. If you got it on a console, you can always trade it in and get some of your money back or heck, find a friend to sell it to or trade. Edit: They'll be adding new levels, too, won't they? So you can always go back and get some new puzzles chambers later. "
    The promise of new levels certain is keeping me from uninstalling it or anything daft like that, and as for the difficulty? Yeah, I suppose you're right. More complexity is certainly added, but it isn't more difficult. I guess the added layers of complexity enables for the harder stuff to come out later. Still, though. Ending of the game was a little disappointing (and no, I don't really know what I expected, but it just felt a little...flat).

Anyway, glad to hear everyone is enjoying it a lot. I'm sure the people who're disappointed with it like me will probably cheer up a little if Valve go the Team Fortress route and update the shit out of this game with new content, but until then? Meh.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By august

I was happy to pay full price for one of the best realized worlds in games, paired with hands down some of the most clever writing in games. That's the kind of thing I want to support.
    If you want more playtime for your money, I dunno... I think Windows comes with Solitaire.

Schmollian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Schmollian

Not disappointed at all. Valve has managed to deliver yet another very solid game. This game is oozing with the polish, refinement and just overall fun Valve is known for. Beginning to think they are incapable of making a bad game.

...Now if only they would just announce HL2: Ep3 already...
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emem

Nope, I love everything about it and I haven't even played multiplayer yet.

I do know two people who feel like they wasted money.. when I asked them why, they said "it's too short" and "it's too easy". Actually I have to agree that it is not very hard and that it is not that long, BUT I wonder how that matters when it comes to liking or disliking a game? Having said that, once again.. the perfect game for the money I spent.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sjosz

I will pay for great quality happily every single time. And Portal 2 is of great quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I got tired of the humour after a while and the puzzles weren't all that challenging, but there was a lot more variety this time around and the ending was fantastic.

A good game overall, but not a game changer like the last one.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Dudes, play through again with the commentary.

That's entirely worth it.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wrighteous86
    @JoeMarsden said:

" @PixelPrinny said:

" I understand that when you don't agree with the general opinion of something popular it's a natural instinct to seek out like-minded individuals so you don't feel entirely disconnected, but these sorts of "I didn't like it, is anyone with me?" threads still get old =/ "
    Apologies. If I'd realised there were enough similar threads to make them a bore, I would not have posted it. It was simple curiosity that lead me to create this thread.

@Wrighteous86 said: 
    " So your problem is that you bought a puzzle game, and then felt cheated that there was no replay value... in a puzzle game? Or do you want to elaborate? "
    I just expected that at the larger price point, Portal 2 would have more to offer than Portal. In addition, the introductions of gels and such game me promise of a more difficult game. It was indeed more difficult, but only slightly. With the introduction of everything that is Aperture Science and the promise that its universe holds, I had also hoped that the story would be more memorable and perhaps even had a stronger tie in with Half-Life (everything with the Borealis in Episode Two lead me to believe that perhaps there would be). Yes, Portal is a puzzle game and they don't offer much replayability, you're right - but do you not see why people may have expected more?
    "
    Yep, just wanted some elaboration. Thanks. I did like the story, though i can understand why it might not interest people, and I understand that people would be disappointed in the lack of connection to Half-Life if they went in expecting that, but the devs have been on record for a while saying they're specifically trying to distance the two franchises.

I think this game was almost a testbed to see if the franchise could sustain legitimate narrative-driven gameplay and a full length campaign, and that in the future they'll be able to expound on that some more. It probably won't make you feel better, but I think they're saving the more difficult puzzles for DLC (which will likely be free for everything but 360) because people can become easily frustrated at difficult puzzles and would have given up on the game if they got stuck for too long. It's a victim of it's own attempts at storytelling in that sense. DLC will free them from wanting/needing people to continue past a certain point.

I think the whole point of them adding that shop and promoting PS3 and Steam for this game implied that they plan to heavily support this game in the future with free updates, much like Team Fortress 2. If your main issue with the game is it's value proposition, it may be annoying, but given some time, I think your expectations in that regard will be met.
    Avatar image for james_ex_machina
    James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By James_ex_machina
    @JoeMarsden: Why would you buy Portal 2 if you weren't impressed with Portal 2? We all have different tastes... but if Portal wasn't something that won you over why repeat the experience? 
    Personally Portal(from the 360 orange box) was an addictive, fun, and thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience that was different then most of the games I have played.  I'm only up to chapter 5 so far and I'm loving the experience. I wish there were more games that were as enjoyable as Portal or Portal 2.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By RobotHamster

It was kinda short for me but it was an amazing game.  I still have to finish the co-op though and hopefully they'll release more as free dlc.  Plus I paid barely anything for it because it was $5 off instantly from amazon, then they give you $20 credit, and I'm selling back the PS3 version for $30 since I have the Steam copy so I didn't pay much for the game to begin with.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By spankingaddict

No. I think I like it too much. I wasn't a huge fan of the first either.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By sjupp
    @AlexW00d said:
    " @B0nd07 said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
    "
    "
    Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Agent47
    @JoeMarsden: Yeah not much in the replayability department you should have rented it seeing as it is Portal.I would do the same but Blockbuster(the only source for renting)stores in the US are gone well in Florida at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.