Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Are you bothered by the Portal 2 voice acting? (namely the British accent)

• 69 results
    Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm not gonna vote, because my vote is " ITS TOO FUCKING EARLY TO SAY ANYTHING. WAIT AND SEE. VALVE NEVER DISAPPOINTED SO GIVE THEM A FUCKING CHANCE" 

thank you :)

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By bonbolapti

get a grip

fixerofdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By fixerofdeath

Doesn't bother me.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I really like the voice acting, it reminds me of the Mighty boosh.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By andrela

Robot that english dudes voice up and its good to go

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mrskidders

I like it muchly.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Andrela said:
    " Robot that english dudes voice up and its good to go "
    yeah, definitely would be a nice touch.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jkz

Yeah. It's clearly placeholder (as they mentioned) and you can tell. The quality of the VO isn't up to valve's usual standards, the British Accent sounds clearly forced and fake. 

I'm glad it's placeholder, in short, since it just doesn't sound right.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " I'm not gonna vote, because my vote is " ITS TOO FUCKING EARLY TO SAY ANYTHING. WAIT AND SEE. VALVE NEVER DISAPPOINTED SO GIVE THEM A FUCKING CHANCE"  thank you :) "
    Poll is based on what was revealed from the E3 demo, or course we do not know what the final product of all the voice acting is right now. That is why this poll is based on the early build.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " I'm not gonna vote, because my vote is " ITS TOO FUCKING EARLY TO SAY ANYTHING. WAIT AND SEE. VALVE NEVER DISAPPOINTED SO GIVE THEM A FUCKING CHANCE"  thank you :) "
    Poll is based on what was revealed from the E3 demo, or course we do not know what the final product of all the voice acting is right now. That is why this poll is based on the early build. "
    i guess im one of the few people who try not to have an opinion of a 2 minute trailer, and wait to see everything in the right context first. 

it was interesting, but that is all. i'll have to play the game to have an opinion.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John1912
    @Andrela said:

" Robot that english dudes voice up and its good to go "

Eh, I think the voice is fine.  it provides a contrast in char from Glados.  To not have it in a robotic fashion would provide a better experience and story.  Its too cookie cutter and takes away depth if all the robots are monotone.  The way it is now, will improve the impact of Glados as a char making her that much more enjoyable.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dirty_Harry

Subtitles.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jukezypoo said:
    " Yeah. It's clearly placeholder (as they mentioned) and you can tell. The quality of the VO isn't up to valve's usual standards, the British Accent sounds clearly forced and fake.  I'm glad it's placeholder, in short, since it just doesn't sound right. "
    I'm pretty sure the guy is actually British.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Poll is based on what was revealed from the E3 demo, or course we do not know what the final product of all the voice acting is right now. That is why this poll is based on the early build. "
    i guess im one of the few people who try not to have an opinion of a 2 minute trailer, and wait to see everything in the right context first.  it was interesting, but that is all. i'll have to play the game to have an opinion. "
    The poll is based on a 2 minute trailer, I am sorry, but it is true. Not every poll can be perfect for you. The only reason it exists, is to show people what other people think of the quality of the voice acting up to this point.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Other than it being wierd he doesn't sound enough like a robot, I really like the voice acting. Don't see the big deal.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Rockdalf

Before the advent of the internet, we just accepted the small petty things in games, outside of gameplay and after devoting months of our lives to that said game, fell in love with the little quirks that made it interesting.

Now, here we are, looking at a demo of what could be next years game of the year, and all anyone wants to talk about is they don't know if the voice used in the demo is likable enough or not.

Ah, the good ol' days.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By John1912

Also I dont know what ppl are whining about.  I dont think the VO sounded out of place nor did it sound sub par by any means.  I think your just off put over the issue.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    i guess im one of the few people who try not to have an opinion of a 2 minute trailer, and wait to see everything in the right context first.  it was interesting, but that is all. i'll have to play the game to have an opinion. "
    The poll is based on a 2 minute trailer, I am sorry, but it is true. Not every poll can be perfect for you. The only reason it exists, is to show people what other people think of the quality of the voice acting up to this point. "
    i guess that makes sense. 

i just get fed up with all the typical people who do this over, and over, and over :  they see new content, they hate, they dislike, they do not approve, they purchase the game, they change their mind, they add game to their 'favorites list'  
    it happens almost everytime a new movie, game or album is released, and just cant notice that it became a stupid habit. 

therefore, i tend to enjoy these trailers without having any opinions, and wait for more content.
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21  Edited By turboman

I think it needs to be a tad bit more robotic... the perfect VO sounds off... 

the writing is still spot-on, but right now, it just sounds off.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Meowayne

I was slightly put off by it at first, but it didn't bother me after a few minutes. I'd be fine with it even if it stayed that way.

I would just ask myself: If they had flawless artificial voice technology, why didn't they use it for GlaDOS and the turrets?

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jkz
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " Yeah. It's clearly placeholder (as they mentioned) and you can tell. The quality of the VO isn't up to valve's usual standards, the British Accent sounds clearly forced and fake.  I'm glad it's placeholder, in short, since it just doesn't sound right. "
    I'm pretty sure the guy is actually British. "
    Is he? Odd, because the vast majority of the people who were complaining about it claimed (it's the internet, I know) to be British, and echoed my feelings. 

Maybe he's just bad at being British? I don't know: all I know is that all the voice-work sounded forced (not just the accent, but the emotion and the humour as well).
    Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
    I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

Nope

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Rockdalf said:

" Before the advent of the internet, we just accepted the small petty things in games, outside of gameplay and after devoting months of our lives to that said game, fell in love with the little quirks that made it interesting.  Now, here we are, looking at a demo of what could be next years game of the year, and all anyone wants to talk about is they don't know if the voice used in the demo is likable enough or not.  Ah, the good ol' days. "

Jesus, it's just a poll, quit complaining about absolutely everything. Remember the good ol' days when people gave their opinion and didn't whine about anything that came in contact with them. If you think the poll is un needed, don't vote or comment.
    andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By andrela
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    Is he? Odd, because the vast majority of the people who were complaining about it claimed (it's the internet, I know) to be British, and echoed my feelings.  Maybe he's just bad at being British? I don't know: all I know is that all the voice-work sounded forced (not just the accent, but the emotion and the humour as well). "
    He definately is english and he's not a VO guy, hes just one of the animators filling in on the voice-work apparently
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scooper
    @jukezypoo said:
    This. Smart man.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    The poll is based on a 2 minute trailer, I am sorry, but it is true. Not every poll can be perfect for you. The only reason it exists, is to show people what other people think of the quality of the voice acting up to this point. "
    i guess that makes sense.  i just get fed up with all the typical people who do this over, and over, and over :  they see new content, they hate, they dislike, they do not approve, they purchase the game, they change their mind, they add game to their 'favorites list'  it happens almost everytime a new movie, game or album is released, and just cant notice that it became a stupid habit.  therefore, i tend to enjoy these trailers without having any opinions, and wait for more content. "
    that is a good philosophy, in fact, I might want to avoid the next 6 parts of this demo, just so I can see it in all of its glory when it releases, but we all know that won't happen.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Burns098356GX

Better than Amurican.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jkz
    @Andrela said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    Is he? Odd, because the vast majority of the people who were complaining about it claimed (it's the internet, I know) to be British, and echoed my feelings.  Maybe he's just bad at being British? I don't know: all I know is that all the voice-work sounded forced (not just the accent, but the emotion and the humour as well). "
    He definately is english and he's not a VO guy, hes just one of the animators filling in on the voice-work apparently "
    No yeah I knew that he wasn't a professional VO guy; I just didn't know he was actually British. 

The more you know I suppose, although I feel the same way about the VO.
    Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Berezov

He sounds more human than robot... but maybe that's the big reveal in Portal 3, it was a human conducted experiment all along! If it was voiced by someone like Alan Rickman or Stephen Fry that would sound more awesome. I don't mind the Essex accent though.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rockdalf
    @BestUsernameEver said:
    " @Rockdalf said:

" Before the advent of the internet, we just accepted the small petty things in games, outside of gameplay and after devoting months of our lives to that said game, fell in love with the little quirks that made it interesting.  Now, here we are, looking at a demo of what could be next years game of the year, and all anyone wants to talk about is they don't know if the voice used in the demo is likable enough or not.  Ah, the good ol' days. "

Jesus, it's just a poll, quit complaining about absolutely everything. Remember the good ol' days when people gave their opinion and didn't whine about anything that came in contact with them. If you think the poll is un needed, don't vote or comment. "
    Oh, I see.  You're allowed to complain and I'm not.  Sorry, I wasn't really sure about that part of Forum etiquette.  I was just hinting at the fact this poll was entirely unneeded, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad cause you poured your heart and soul into it or something.  Carry on.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Phished0ne

It was fine for me, i liked it,  and plus, its all still placeholder.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By august

The VO is decent. Really good for someone who's not an actor, but you can tell he's not an actor. Not the end of the world if they keep him, but I'd be happy with something new.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I want to make one of these threads every time there is an American voice actor in a game not set it any country.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @Rockdalf said:

Jesus, it's just a poll, quit complaining about absolutely everything. Remember the good ol' days when people gave their opinion and didn't whine about anything that came in contact with them. If you think the poll is un needed, don't vote or comment. "
    Oh, I see.  You're allowed to complain and I'm not.  Sorry, I wasn't really sure about that part of Forum etiquette.  I was just hinting at the fact this poll was entirely unneeded, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad cause you poured your heart and soul into it or something.  Carry on. "
    'hinted'... lol
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#37  Edited By Jazz

People complaining about English accents, which aren't from up north or devon? 
    Damn, i just stepped into the twilight zone.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaptainObvious

I'm bothered by any British accent, so I guess yes. 

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @CaptainObvious said:
    " I'm bothered by any British accent, so I guess yes.  "
    I lol'd
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Meowayne

I wish I was the final voice - although who we've got to do it is very exciting indeed!

~ Richard Lord, placeholder voice of Wheatley the AI sphere, on his twitter, two weeks ago.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By august
    @zudthespud said:
    " I want to make one of these threads every time there is an American voice actor in a game not set it any country. "
    The Aperture Science Laboratories are located in the city of Cleveland, Ohio.
    Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Darkstar614

The thread either needs to be deleted, or the person with the first reply needs to edit with this information:

Heres the trailer for the exciting game called Portal2 by Valve that ive bin working on with the rest of the team. Its a great day and we are having a wicked E3! If you are here based on my exciting temp voice work on the big round plastic ball Wheatley, thanks for your support! But I can only assure you that theres no way you will be dissapointed with the final voice - im over teh moon with who it might be. I think you are going to like! (and lets face it, mines rubbish) Its all in the bananas writing by the amazing Erik Wolpaw and Jay Pinkerton!

From source:
      http://lastoutpostofsanity.com/2010/06/tempvoice/
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bionicicide

Good to hear it's a placeholder voice, really bad clash against Glados' and sentry bots' auto-tuned voices.

If it was the final voice, it would be a deal-breaker, at least a "wait for a sale" deal breaker.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jimbo

Accent seems 100% legit to me.

I was under the impression there would be many of these things (parts of Glados?) and they would all have different personalities and voices.  Nothing about this struck me as placeholder tbh - and if it is, then putting out a trailer which is almost entirely focused on this guy talking (and nothing much else happening at all) seems like an odd thing to do.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By august
    @Jimbo said:
    " Accent seems 100% legit to me.  I was under the impression there would be many of these things (parts of Glados?) and they would all have different personalities and voices.  Nothing about this struck me as placeholder tbh - and if it is, then putting out a trailer which is almost entirely focused on this guy talking (and nothing much else happening at all) seems like an odd thing to do. "
    It's just the first pat of the e3 presentation. Several more parts, none of them featuring Wheatly, will be released over the next few days. IGN put up a cam of the entire presentation while e3 was still going on.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    @august said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " Accent seems 100% legit to me.  I was under the impression there would be many of these things (parts of Glados?) and they would all have different personalities and voices.  Nothing about this struck me as placeholder tbh - and if it is, then putting out a trailer which is almost entirely focused on this guy talking (and nothing much else happening at all) seems like an odd thing to do. "
    It's just the first pat of the e3 presentation. Several more parts, none of them featuring Wheatly, will be released over the next few days. IGN put up a cam of the entire presentation while e3 was still going on. "
    Damn, if that's the case, then I have seen all of it. Bummer.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By DanielJW

I like it a lot. The meekness suits that of a tiny little robotic ball. 

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MKHavoc

I thought it was fine, though I'm not very good at spotting fake accents.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By MisterMouse

It is fine, and if it isnt fine I am sure they have thought of it and have something funny to go along with it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pinworm45

I found it annoying, hopefully the non-placeholder is less obnoxious.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.