Can you co-op between one copy of the game?

#1 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4884 posts) -

Has Valve said whether or not you can co-op with one "copy" of the game. By that I mean, can I buy the PS3 and then play co-op with a friend with that copy and the PC copy you get with it? Is the PC code tied to your PS3 version, or is it just a PC code like the ones that will come with the physical PC copies?

#2 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -

You link your ps3 account to your steam, so itll show you as online if you are logged on the ps3. Other than that I don't think Valve has mentioned cross platform multiplayer.

#3 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

They said on the playstation blog somewhere, that you'll only be able to play it on one "device" at a time. so you can't play it on your psn account on ps3 and your steam account on pc at the same time because they are tied to each other. I don't know if you'll be able to play it on a different psn that's not tied to your steam account while you play on pc though.

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

No. Your PC version and PS3 version will be linked to the same Steam account, so you won't be able to play against yourself.

#5 Posted by Humanoid (206 posts) -

I'm assuming it's still possible for split screen play?

#6 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Humanoid said:
" I'm assuming it's still possible for split screen play? "
I would like to know this as well.
#7 Posted by captain_clayman (3319 posts) -

split screen on PC would be a cool extra feature.  one person uses kb/m, the other uses xbox controller.

OHHHH and dual monitor split screen would be awesome.  i'm sure a lot of people wouldn't be able to run it but it'd be AWESOME if you have an awesome SLI setup like me :D
#8 Posted by CandiBunni (465 posts) -
@Finstern said:
" You link your ps3 account to your steam, so itll show you as online if you are logged on the ps3. Other than that I don't think Valve has mentioned cross platform multiplayer. "
People playing on Windows, MacOS X, and PS3 will be able to play together.
#9 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @Humanoid said:
I would like to know this as well. "
Console versions have splitscreen. 
#10 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
@CandiBunni: That's actually really neat, I commend Sony and Valve for allowing/developing the ability to do so, really leaves Microsoft out of the loop
#11 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" No. Your PC version and PS3 version will be linked to the same Steam account, so you won't be able to play against yourself. "
Damn! This is exactly what I was hoping to do. Me on the PS3 and my son on the PC playing co-op. This definitely takes some of the luster off of the deal for me.
#12 Posted by ShadowFire01 (48 posts) -

There is one method I've considered though. As convoluted as it is, it should work in theory as long as there isn't extra security in place to prevent it.
It requires the two people who want to play together to have individual PSN and Steam accounts. Have both of them link their respective PSN and Steam accounts through the PS3 version. Then have the person who wants to play on Steam redeem the code that comes in the case. That way there is no redundancy and both have access to cross-platform play at the same time. Still wont know for sure until the game comes out and someone attempts it.

#13 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
@ShadowFire01: assuming the game does come with a code instead of steam just adding the game to your account upon syncing your psn account
#14 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @Humanoid said:
I would like to know this as well. "
Console versions have splitscreen.  "
That's good; I was going to try to get my friends / my dad into this game.
#15 Posted by eroticfishcake (7782 posts) -

By the way, if I get the PS3 version and since it's tied to my Steam account, do I get a PC copy of Portal 2 as well? I don't mean the extra copy that you can give to a friend but if I've got on my PS3 then can I play it on my PC too?

#16 Posted by SomeJerk (3143 posts) -

Portal 2 PS3 basically brings your very Steam account to the PS3, you log onto your existing one or create a new. You own Portal 2 PS3, you own Portal 2 PC. Saved games can be exchanged between the two, so you cannot give your PC Portal 2 away because it sits on your account - which is the way you play it on the PS3. As they intended.

#17 Edited by ShadowFire01 (48 posts) -
#18 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" No. Your PC version and PS3 version will be linked to the same Steam account, so you won't be able to play against yourself. "
Damn! This is exactly what I was hoping to do. Me on the PS3 and my son on the PC playing co-op. This definitely takes some of the luster off of the deal for me. "
Can't you and your son play split screen co-op on the PS3?
#19 Posted by uvschism (45 posts) -

@SJSchmidt93:   I don't think you'd be able to do it, because for all intents and purposes, the PS3 is just another computer that your steam install sits on, and you haven't ever been able to play co-op on one account between two PCs (to my knowledge).  It'd be pretty cool of valve if they found a way around that though, given that play on the PS3 is going to require a physical disc.  ...probably too much room for account-sharing abuse, though.  Too bad.

#20 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -
@TehFlan said:
" @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
" @MattyFTM said:
Damn! This is exactly what I was hoping to do. Me on the PS3 and my son on the PC playing co-op. This definitely takes some of the luster off of the deal for me. "
Can't you and your son play split screen co-op on the PS3? "
Unfortunately no. I only have the one controller the system came with. I guess I have to choose between $50 for another controller or $50 for another copy of Portal 2 for us to play.
#21 Posted by Lusankya (9 posts) -
How about this:

-Create a Steam account to link with your main psn account. *DO NOT REDEEM YOUR STEAM COPY ON THIS ACCOUNT.*
-Make an alternate PSN account, then link it to an alternate Steam account.
-Redeem your Steam copy onto the alternate Steam account.

Wouldn't you be able to play with yourself then? After all you would be using two different steam accounts.
#22 Posted by ExcessDan (18 posts) -

I was wondering the same thing.  Has anyone tried that method and got cross platform play working between the 2.  would be cool if someone has already tried it in case i waste my code for nothing.

#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@ExcessDan said:
I was wondering the same thing.  Has anyone tried that method and got cross platform play working between the 2.  would be cool if someone has already tried it in case i waste my code for nothing.
It was said early on. You can not play Your Ps3 version with the Free PC copy. 
#24 Posted by Syphous (170 posts) -
@Finstern said:
@CandiBunni: That's actually really neat, I commend Sony and Valve for allowing/developing the ability to do so, really leaves Microsoft out of the loop
You do realize Windows is a Microsoft product, right?
#25 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
@Syphous: Yes but not one they are pumping millions into to promote it as a social gaming machine, steam is free to play online, psn is free to play online, xbox 360 is not, microsoft see no money from people playing portal 2 on pc and cannot really do anything about it. The fact that valve and sony have come together to allow people to play cross platform, for free, is a big middle finger to microsoft and their whole gaming network.
#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
No. Your PC version and PS3 version will be linked to the same Steam account, so you won't be able to play against yourself.
that sucks
#27 Posted by Aerobie (101 posts) -

You can play co-op with one copy. Your PSN account does link to your Steam account, but if you make a new PSN account and link that to a new Steam account, that account can use the PS3 copy and your main account can use the PC copy.
(NOTE: I have not tried this, but someone said they tried it and you could, and I see no way for it to not work.)

#28 Posted by RussianDrink (117 posts) -

I've done it, it works. It requires two PSN and two Steam accounts. I redeemed the Steam code on my main Steam account and linked it with my main PSN account. Then I linked my alt. Steam account with my alt. PSN account.

I play Portal 2 on PC with main Steam account while my friend comes over to co-op with me on my PS3 using my alt. Steam/PSN account. Split-screen is cool, but both of us having full view is cooler.
#29 Posted by Tponch86 (1 posts) -

I can also confirm its possible to play with a single PS3 copy of Portal 2 that comes with Steam DIgital Download.

Use your PSN and link to your Steam (or make a new one if you dont have one), then download.
Make a new free PSN account put portal 2 in and itll ask you to make a new free steam account as well. Done. Have friends/family play the ps3 on with the alt PSN account and have at it on your PSN/Steam account on the PC. Co-op and all. Been doing this since PSN came back online. No hassles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.