Chell's science experiment, this is completely crazy.

#1 Edited by randiolo (1090 posts) -

I think gabe just likes to F with people, when i saw this i couldnt help but go wow.. 

Edit: Spoilers 

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2294 posts) -

I didn't even notice the "By Chell" when I played.

Then again, I was so engrossed in the story, I pretty much tried rushing to the end to unfold the story.

Now that I've beaten it, I'm finding some very nice little touches like this.
#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

that video gave me goosebumps even though i already knew it was there

#4 Edited by CandiBunni (465 posts) -

I lawled so hard at the end.  "Dammit Gabe! >:| "  xD
Maybe it's hers from when she was little. Maybe she was kept in cryo or something, or is a clone of the very first Chell. 

Oh Gabe, you little rascal you.

#5 Edited by oldjack327 (134 posts) -

Twice the series has mentioned "bring your daughter to work day" in ominous tones. First in Portal 1 when GlaDOS says its a good day to get your daughter "... tested" and then in Portal 2 when Wheatley just mentions off the cuff  something about how Bring Your Daughter to Work Day  was an absolute mess.
I have to think that a large portion of GlaDOS's test subject (Chell included) were "harvested" from this event.

#6 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Yeah, I did notice that the second time through. A lot of subtle, neat little touches in this game.

#7 Posted by ma_rc_01 (363 posts) -

There's one by Alix too, it's not Alyx but, you  know.

#8 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

I totally didn't see that when I played through the game. I was too blindsided by nostalgia from my own elementary school science days to notice. Also, what the hell kind of potato is that?

#9 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -

Also worth going back and reading the text on the baking-soda volcano one too. Especially the Problem and Conclusion sections.

#10 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

The first thing I did when I got to this part was check every project for the one made by Chell.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting that kind of potato...
#11 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4418 posts) -

I'm now officially convinced everyone at Valve is an evil genius. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Episode 3 was hidden in that game as well.

#12 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

That's clever I thought that was just a reference to the bring your daughter to work joke from the first game

#13 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -
@ma_rc_01 said:
" There's one by Alix too, it's not Alyx but, you  know. "
Fucking a.
#14 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Didn't notice that it was Chell's. Does this mean she's a super genius?

Too bad she can't even say apple anymore.
#15 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3483 posts) -

I could listen to Steve Merchant all day.

#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@ma_rc_01 said:
But it is by Alyx, read the signature more carefully.  Its "i" is dotted with a HEART. ;)
#17 Edited by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -
@oldjack327 said:

" Twice the series has mentioned "bring your daughter to work day" in ominous tones. First in Portal 1 when GlaDOS says its a good day to get your daughter "... tested" and then in Portal 2 when Wheatley just mentions off the cuff  something about how Bring Your Daughter to Work Day  was an absolute mess. I have to think that a large portion of GlaDOS's test subject (Chell included) were "harvested" from this event. "

I think I read somewhere that the "Bring Your Daughter To Work Day" was where GLaDOS first released her neurotoxin and killed most people working at the lab.
#18 Posted by randiolo (1090 posts) -
@oldjack327 said:
" Twice the series has mentioned "bring your daughter to work day" in ominous tones. First in Portal 1 when GlaDOS says its a good day to get your daughter "... tested" and then in Portal 2 when Wheatley just mentions off the cuff  something about how Bring Your Daughter to Work Day  was an absolute mess. I have to think that a large portion of GlaDOS's test subject (Chell included) were "harvested" from this event. "
could be on to something there..
#19 Posted by rempresent (98 posts) -

Valve doesn't get a lot of credit when it comes to these little touches that sets our hearts and dreams aflame with what can be. They put an almost impossible expectation on some of their products and people get upset when the experience with the game is just sub-par because they have spent all this time dreaming of a universe that doesn't exist. We really shouldn't get upset that the game is shorter or we just want more, these small little touches are proof that the game is a lot more than how we are viewing it and the content is there for those that want to explore. 

Thanks Valve, your check is in the mail.
#20 Edited by Sarsi (3 posts) -

http://comics.ign.com/dor/objects/105745/portal-2-lab-rat/images/portal-2-lab-rat-20110411000206840.html?page=mediaFull

Bring you daughter to work, bring your cat to work. A connection?

#21 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @ma_rc_01 said:
But it is by Alyx, read the signature more carefully.  Its "i" is dotted with a HEART. ;) "
how does that make it a Y ?
#22 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

It's already been proven without doubt that Chell was once a cat that got turned into a human. Aperture were trying to find out a way so their test subjects always remained upright even when going backwards and upside down into a mess of portals, that's why they had a Bring Your Cat To Work Day.

Wow. I just made that up as I went along and it somehow sounds strangely plausible. Not the bit where Chell's a cat but they probably wanted cats so they could create those crazy boots. I'm a genius.
#23 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @ma_rc_01 said:
But it is by Alyx, read the signature more carefully.  Its "i" is dotted with a HEART. ;) "
how does that make it a Y ? "
" V " - heart
 " I " - little i.

You need to see it for yourself.
#24 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

Ahhhh, I have to play with low-quality textures so there are some things I can't read.

#25 Posted by Milkman (16682 posts) -

I really doubt that means anything besides Valve saying "heh, let's fuck with these guys."

#26 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @ma_rc_01 said:
" V " - heart " I " - little i.You need to see it for yourself. "
Mmmmm Alyx's dad  worked in black mesa and she got resuced by G-man when shit hit the fan. So no that isn't her.
#27 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" I really doubt that means anything besides Valve saying "heh, let's fuck with these guys." "
Probably.  Still, it's hilarious and cool in of itself.

BUT
@Seedofpower said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @ma_rc_01 said:
" V " - heart " I " - little i.You need to see it for yourself. "
Mmmmm Alyx's dad  worked in black mesa and she got resuced by G-man when shit hit the fan. So no that isn't her. "
Then again, G-Man is a teleportin', time-travellin' sonofagun so he could've just deposited Alyx in A.S. until he deemed her useful.  That, or her dad was on the team there before he went to Black Mesa.
#28 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" It's already been proven without doubt that Chell was once a cat that got turned into a human. Aperture were trying to find out a way so their test subjects always remained upright even when going backwards and upside down into a mess of portals, that's why they had a Bring Your Cat To Work Day.

Wow. I just made that up as I went along and it somehow sounds strangely plausible. Not the bit where Chell's a cat but they probably wanted cats so they could create those crazy boots. I'm a genius.
"
What you mean is you're an amateur griefer. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.