Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Does the PS3 version of Portal 2 really come with a PC copy?

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NekuCTR

Just making sure before I go get it tomorrow. I personally want the PC version, but my sister just wants to play it, and she only really has a PS3. so if it's true it works out great for us.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Ocean_H

Yes.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, but you can't be playing both copies at the same time.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

Yes this isn't just a prank everyone else got together on to play on you specifically.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

yes, but they'll both be linked to the same steam account, so I believe you won't be able to play it online at the same time, but if you are playing it on the pc and your sister on the ps3 while logged off of PSN I think it should work.

contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By contagious
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Yes, but you can't be playing both copies at the same time. "
    You can't just have the ps3 playing offline?
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contagious said:
    " @President_Barackbar said:
    You can't just have the ps3 playing offline? "
    No, you need to log into your steam account to play the game, and Steam doesn't let you have multiple active sessions.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Kyle
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " @contagious said:
    No, you need to log into your steam account to play the game, and Steam doesn't let you have multiple active sessions. "
    I don't think you need to log into Steam to play it offline on PS3 considering the fact that you don't even need to link the PS3 version to Steam in the first place.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kyle said:
    " @contagious said:
    No, you need to log into your steam account to play the game, and Steam doesn't let you have multiple active sessions. "
    I don't think you need to log into Steam to play it offline on PS3 considering the fact that you don't even need to link the PS3 version to Steam in the first place. "
    No, but to play the free PC version you need to link it to a Steam account and that account has to be logged into PC steam in order to play it. Unless you bought the PC version separately, you can't play both.
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By christ0phe

No, the game is a lie

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Kyle
    @President_Barackbar: Well of course you can't have the two games play co-op together, but couldn't you theoretically have the PS3 playing offline while the PC version is connected to Steam?
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vitor
    @Kyle said:

" @President_Barackbar: Well of course you can't have the two games play co-op together, but couldn't you theoretically have the PS3 playing offline while the PC version is connected to Steam? "

Don't see why that wouldn't work.
    Just as long as you don't expect to be able to do online Co-op with just 1 copy. Simultaneous offline play should work fine though. Plus, PS3 version has split screen coop so that's that issue sorted if you're desperate for a solution.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By probablytuna

On a somewhat related note, I was planning to get the PS3 version because I want to try it out on console. However my PS3 is NTSC-J with a Hong Kong PSN account where as my Steam account is Australian so I don't know if I can link the two different regional accounts together. Asked Valve if this would work and unfortunately they didn't provide an answer. :(

Oh well the PC version still rocks!
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

I wish I had considered this. I have the Orange box both on Pc(steam) and the 360. So now I have Portal up the wazoo 3 different ways I guess.. Redundancy would have been fine for Portal 2 as well. But in another way I don't care, and enjoyed my time with Portal 2 on the Pc today, which is how I would play it period. Keyboard and mouse absolutely in this case. I tried controller and quickly changed. Oddly enough, I remember episode 2 of Halflife 2 being more intuitive on the controller, it was the driving or something.
    iDarktread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iDarktread

Absolutely. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Vitor said:
    " @Kyle said:

" @President_Barackbar: Well of course you can't have the two games play co-op together, but couldn't you theoretically have the PS3 playing offline while the PC version is connected to Steam? "

Don't see why that wouldn't work. Just as long as you don't expect to be able to do online Co-op with just 1 copy. Simultaneous offline play should work fine though. Plus, PS3 version has split screen coop so that's that issue sorted if you're desperate for a solution. "
    ...but... um...

Surely you'd require the internet to even attempt co-op play between a PC and a PS3? So even if the PS3 version is offline, it still isn't doable. 
    rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By rentfn

really?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Marz

Just to clarify, the ps3 disc can be used on seperate accounts and isn't tied to one steam account.    The code for the free PC copy however will only work on one account.   So say you redeemed the code on your steam and psn account but you want to play co-op with your brother or something and don't want to play splitscreen.  You tell your brother to make his own psn account and steam account and he can use the PS3 disc while you play on the PC version and you can play together that way.     I've tried and confirmed that this method works.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vitor
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " @Kyle said:

Don't see why that wouldn't work. Just as long as you don't expect to be able to do online Co-op with just 1 copy. Simultaneous offline play should work fine though. Plus, PS3 version has split screen coop so that's that issue sorted if you're desperate for a solution. "
    ...but... um...

Surely you'd require the internet to even attempt co-op play between a PC and a PS3? So even if the PS3 version is offline, it still isn't doable. 
    "
    Exactly - coop with PS3 and PC with the free copy isn't doable with the same account. But as long as you sign in with a different PSN account than the one you tied to Steam, it's fine. Neither copy needs a permanent internet connection though so playing both offline at the same time is fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.