Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Greek Mythology and Portal 2. [spoilers]

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By granderojo

I couldn't post it in the other thread because of a flood warning, but here is the updated version of the infographic I made.

I working through the Minerva mod now to see if there are any references in Portal 2 within the Mythos to that mod for Half Life 2.  I'll update you if or when I find any thing.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

I really hope the Portal writers come out and say "Yeah we had no fucking idea about this".

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

No offense but....you guys look way too far into things.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By granderojo

It's been fun trying to find the references.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By bwheeeler

Two things: The Portal guys have stated that the story grew out of "Wouldn't this be interesting?" I don't think they were sitting around trying to construct a Greek mythological allegory, and this thing really seems to be grasping at straws.

And also, that layout is worse than everything.
    Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Buscemi

I just think this is one of those things where you find a lot of stuff from religions/myths/history because that shit is inspiring, like you know, obviously some dude is going to come up with a cunning god and a stupid god (and so on) and then people make a character in a game that's a bit slow and suddenly they're connected.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By granderojo

There is one thing when it's vague, but there are clear concrete references within the game. Someone had to make that art asset with Aeschylus, and someone had to write those likes with Prometheus. Someone had to make the bird pecking at the potato.

I don't think I'm reading to far into anything. It's one thing to have something that mirrors something because 'lol archtypes' it's another thing to write lines of dialog and make art assets.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

I think the last two things you added are super dumb.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By granderojo
    @I_smell: The moon/borealis is arguable(I added it mostly because people convinced me at steam forums) but I stick by the second to last.

In the myth it clearly states that Prometheus and Epimethius were the key figures in the creation myth. Prometheus matches GLaDOS and Wheatly to Epimetheus, and GLaDOS and Wheatley were the ones in charge of human test subjects. I probably just didn't explain it well in the infographic.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demyx

nah, seems like a huge stretch that most of this was on purpose. Maybe some of it.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I do enjoy myself some greek mythology. But still...

@benjaebe said:

" No offense but....you guys look way too far into things. "
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria

I remember someone writing about the first Portal saying that GlaDOS looked like a girl bondaged to the ceiling and her only escape was to die in the players hands, or portal in this case.

It was featured on Dtoid and I read comments that took it to heart.

I personally laughed it off as going way, way, way, way.... way over-board. And Portal 2's story confirms how wrong that idea was.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By I_smell

Yeah I know, but the second to last thing is already on there. At the top.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By granderojo

I took the moon reference off of it. It was shitty now that I think about it.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VoshiNova
    @MagikOvenMit said:
    Two things: The Portal guys have stated that the story grew out of "Wouldn't this be interesting?" I don't think they were sitting around trying to construct a Greek mythological allegory, and this thing really seems to be grasping at straws.

And also, that layout is worse than everything.
    I lol'd
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @EuanDewar said:
    I really hope the Portal writers come out and say "Yeah we had no fucking idea about this".
    That seems to be how Valve does everything.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowshi

You're nuts.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Kierkegaard
    @thabigred: Hey man, love the depth!

And you're totally right. Pick up the "I'm Different" turret on its way to "redemption" and it begins telling the story of Prometheus. Tartoros is not only on the walls of the deepest part of Aperture, that section also has a lot of burning equipment, adding to the torturous atmosphere. To go a little further with it, perhaps we could consider Cave Johnson Hades, judging the dead (Chell) before she is allowed to return to the surface. That everything down there is old and decrepit just adds to that. Don't see Cerberus around anywhere, though. 

The Elysium stuff is brilliant--didn't even cross my mind. 

The game is, of course, not merely an allegory for the Greek science myth. There are also some intense feminist issues going on. GLaDOS insults the player in a bitchy fashion, mocking Chell's weight and appearance and birthright, all petty anti-female attacks. When Wheatley takes over for GLaDOS? Her scream is a scream of total torment, almost like a rape. And then the two women conquer when they stop bickering and work together. 

It's an awesome game with plenty of depth. A lot of artists don't discuss their inspirations or inner meanings. Thing about art is, interpretation by us is more important than judgment from the creator. If our interpretation holds up with the artwork, then it all works. 

Portal 2 is also damn funny and fun to play. Still has this deep shit in it. People who are offended by in depth analysis worry me. Thinking is fun, y'all!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Dagbiker

That graphic is horrible.

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

I really don't understand why people are doubting this theory so strongly. I guess we have a lot of haters on Giant Bomb.

One would think the fact that the rouge turret was telling the story of Prometheus would give some credence to this theory.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

Needs more red lines connected by thumb tacks.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Azteck

Interesting concept, and I'm sure some of them do have some ground but others just seem like a real stretch instead.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

@Kierkegaard said:

@thabigred: Hey man, love the depth!
    And you're totally right. Pick up the "I'm Different" turret on its way to "redemption" and it begins telling the story of Prometheus. Tartoros is not only on the walls of the deepest part of Aperture, that section also has a lot of burning equipment, adding to the torturous atmosphere. To go a little further with it, perhaps we could consider Cave Johnson Hades, judging the dead (Chell) before she is allowed to return to the surface. That everything down there is old and decrepit just adds to that. Don't see Cerberus around anywhere, though.
    The Elysium stuff is brilliant--didn't even cross my mind.
    The game is, of course, not merely an allegory for the Greek science myth. There are also some intense feminist issues going on. GLaDOS insults the player in a bitchy fashion, mocking Chell's weight and appearance and birthright, all petty anti-female attacks. When Wheatley takes over for GLaDOS? Her scream is a scream of total torment, almost like a rape. And then the two women conquer when they stop bickering and work together.
    It's an awesome game with plenty of depth. A lot of artists don't discuss their inspirations or inner meanings. Thing about art is, interpretation by us is more important than judgment from the creator. If our interpretation holds up with the artwork, then it all works.
    Portal 2 is also damn funny and fun to play. Still has this deep shit in it. People who are offended by in depth analysis worry me. Thinking is fun, y'all!

People like you who assume knowledge in their infinite inward spiral of analysis worry me, because people like you lack any semblance of perspective.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Video_Game_King said:

Needs more red lines connected by thumb tacks.

And more slow motion.

I just got done watching Sherlock Holmes again.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By themangalist
    @thabigred: Great job for typing this all up.  One of the more interesting analogies in  gaming than the obvious and typical "oh he stole stuff and got punished".

He's not reading too much into things. Even if he is, he's awesome for being able to come up with stuff like this. It's probably also meant to be by the Valve guys too:

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

One would think the fact that the rouge turret was telling the story of Prometheus would give some credence to this theory.

Exactly, the turret  on the incinerator belt at the factory when you're escaping with wheatly can actually be picked up. She was a bout to be incinerated but she pleads for help that she is good. You can pick her up and listen to her retell the myth. It was out of nowhere, but when you think about it it'd all make sense.
    Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Kierkegaard

@Brendan: An inward spiral in that the analysis has no real connection to the material at hand? Because, clearly, in this case that is not true. As my BA in Philosophy can demonstrate, I'm not against rumination. But, it can definitely just be a circle-jerk of apparent intelligence. If I were you, though, I would try to aim my criticisms where true pretention is taking place, rather than interesting textual analysis as was and is being done here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.