Has anyone else noticed on the PC verison

#1 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

When you save it says
'Please do not turn off your console'

Thats kind of annoying, i thought valve was mainly a PC developer, push start doesn't bug me. But this kinda does.

#2 Posted by Levianth (108 posts) -

I hadn't noticed before but now I can't stop seeing it. Just comes off as lazy.

#3 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Hehe. Nowadays PC is never the leading platform. It's funny that they left that thing in. Nice PC port. Hahahhaha!

P.S. - Yeah, I don't like Valve...

#4 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

This is no way proves that PC wasn't the lead platform. -_-

I have bigger gripes than that.
#5 Posted by Piririn (81 posts) -

Sooo in other words its totally OKAY to turn of your computer while saving right?
#6 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

I've heard people complaining about that, but I haven't seen it... yet. Next time I play, it'll come to plague me for eternity, I'm sure. But what I did notice is that levels seem to be a lot more segmented than the first one. Many more "hard" loading screens and fade-to-blacks than the first one, if memory serves. It doesn't bother me, but I can see the relevance of the console versions in the development of the game, in comparison with the first one, at least.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2729 posts) -

heh, ye. noticed that one too, gave me a good chuckle :P

#8 Posted by napalmtrees (80 posts) -
@JoeyRavn:
All of Valve's games have frequent loading screens.  Portal had one after every test chamber.  It's probably a limitation of the Source engine if anything.
#9 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -
@napalmtrees said:
" @JoeyRavn: All of Valve's games have frequent loading screens.  Portal had one after every test chamber.  It's probably a limitation of the Source engine if anything. "
Yep its the source engines shortfall. It has very limited steaming capability meaning hard loads have to be placed. Soon we will have Source 2 though....
#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -
@napalmtrees said:
" @JoeyRavn: All of Valve's games have frequent loading screens.  Portal had one after every test chamber.  It's probably a limitation of the Source engine if anything. "
Yes, I know. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks or something like a reversed placebo effect, but the loading in Portal 1 was much faster than in Portal 2. You got into the lift, "Loading..." for barely a a second or two, you kept on playing. In Portal 2, you actually go to a "dedicated" loading screen, as if the game needed to "empty" the previous room to make space for the new one much more noticeably than before. If that makes any sense.

Again, it's probably just that Aperture Science loading screen that makes me feel a lot more the loading times. The "cutting to another screen, then back to the game" sensation. Not complaining, though. The game is incredible so far.
#11 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It's a string that got mixed up. You can go in and change it, literally, to whatever you want.
"Please don't turn off your toaster."
TOASTER PORT CONFIRMED, VALVE HAS ABANDONED US.

They missed a string. Anyone who thinks they don't develop first and foremost on PC needs to get their head examined.

#12 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2131 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" It's a string that got mixed up. You can go in and change it, literally, to whatever you want."Please don't turn off your toaster."TOASTER PORT CONFIRMED, VALVE HAS ABANDONED US.They missed a string. Anyone who thinks they don't develop first and foremost on PC needs to get their head examined. "
I'm so glad this is editable, but for the reason of having fun messing with little things like that.  It reminds me of editing Bejeweled 3's editable text file of all the motivational phrases, and replacing them with anti-motivational ones.  The idea of a friend trying out some Bejeweled in Zen mode, only to think he saw a subliminal "go fuck yourself" and get confused over it would be hilarious.
#13 Posted by JoeyRavn (4994 posts) -

See? The GB just complained about the loading times in the PC version, so it's not just me. Yay, I'm not crazy!

Not much, at least :D

#14 Posted by Enigma777 (6078 posts) -
@Piririn said:
" Sooo in other words its totally OKAY to turn of your computer while saving right? "
I can't argue with that logic. Someone test this out!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.