I am getting a black screen every 10 minutes are so please help.

#1 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

I have searched around and so far I have found about a thousand "theories" but nothing concrete. I tried lowering the settings, didn't help, I opened my fan speed didn't help, cried didn't help. It's honestly why I rather play console games it seems games just bug the fuck out way to much on the PC and there is never a simple fix because everyone's machines are so different.

Has anyone come across a good solution to this? If you say buy the 360 version I am seriously thinking about it :(

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

What are your computer's specs? And have you tried updating the drivers to the newest version?

#3 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

@BeachThunder:

Specs are: Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q6600

500gb Sata II hard drive

3072 Mb DDR2 dual channel Memory

Nvida Geforce 8800 GTS

As far as I know yes on the drivers but I'll try checking right now again.

#4 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

Actually as far as drivers are concerned if it goes up .01 every time then....I was pretty out of date lol so hopefully this works.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

For steam games a few basics come to mind like updating drivers and also verifying the cache via steam . You would be surprised at how many issues can be solved by updating drivers.

#6 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

@Demoskinos: I'm going to play for a bit now. It sucks I can't tell if it works immediately because it crash so randomly.

#7 Posted by EightBitShik (1341 posts) -

@BeachThunder: @Demoskinos: Updating the drivers did nothing ::(

#8 Posted by Max422 (32 posts) -

Does the same thing happen to other source engine game? like CS:GO or L4D2?

Is that exactly 10 mins? What happen after black screen? Any log information?

#9 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

Hate to say it but your video card is probably dying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.