Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Is this the start of the end?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So Valve are coming out with Portal 2 soon and are acting as if the Playstation version will be the definitive version. I have a bad feeling the Valve might be focusing on Playstation more than PC especially since PC gamers will buy the PS3 version causing PC sales to drop. I'm not saying this is happening but it sort of feels they are shifting to consoles a bit more than they were before.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Brians

I really don't think so. I think this is the first game that they have released on the console so I guess they are trying to have the carrot to get playstation users to start using steam.

Arkanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkanti
    @NekuSakuraba:

They've been saying the the PS3 version is the definitive console version, most notably for its multiplayer and free DLC support.

I think adding the PC version with it is simply a hook to get some gamers over to use Steam and also an effort to combat used sales.

Edit: So yeah, no. Suggesting that Valve, the company that owns and created Steam and seems to understand their community more than any other studio, would start focusing on console games with the PC versions becoming ports is a strange madness IMO.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Pinworm45

Valve has always treated the PS3 as a joke. They're just saying it's the best console version this time. They're saying this so people get a free steam copy, which puts them on steam, which means they might buy PC games in the future.

Valve is pro pc, worry not fretful one. Valve is PC first.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By wrighteous86
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " So Valve are coming out with Portal 2 soon and are acting as if the Playstation version will be the definitive version. I have a bad feeling the Valve might be focusing on Playstation more than PC especially since PC gamers will buy the PS3 version causing PC sales to drop. I'm not saying this is happening but it sort of feels they are shifting to consoles a bit more than they were before. "
    They are putting a focus on the PS3 version so they can convince console gamers to adopt Steam. They also want to put pressure on Microsoft so they'll be able to update their games with regularity and without Microsoft's restrictions and rules.

PC is still their emphasis. That's why they are giving free PC Portal 2 with every copy of PS3 Portal 2. They are trying to convert console gamers to Steam/PC.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Rhaknar

when have they said the ps3 is the ultimate version? ultimate console version maybe, but just look at all the ARG stuff with the potato sack and youll see what the "ultimate version" is.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FCKSNAP

I swear I heard them say the Apple II version was the definitive version in the Quick Look. Even with the lack of color.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder
    @Snapstacle said:
    " I swear I heard them say the Apple II version was the definitive version in the Quick Look. Even with the lack of color. "
    Nah Uh! Virtual Boy Portal 2 will be the best. Although, I do have concerns that some of the puzzles may be extra hard, given that both portals will just be red.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That isn't going to happen. The whole aim of the PS3 thing is to get more gamers (gamers who perhaps don't normally play/buy games on PC) using Steam. Once these people are using Steam they're going to buy into their sales, buy & play Valve's other games on PC and Valve are going to increase their dominance of the PC market. They're not trying to move away from the PC, they're trying to bring more people to the PC. With their Steam platform, Valve are extremely invested in the PC market, they're not going to back away from it. There is more chance of Blizzard turning away from their PC roots.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @MattyFTM said:
    " That isn't going to happen. The whole aim of the PS3 thing is to get more gamers (gamers who perhaps don't normally play/buy games on PC) using Steam. Once these people are using Steam they're going to buy into their sales, buy & play Valve's other games on PC and just generally increase their dominance of the PC market. They're not trying to move away from the PC, they're trying to bring more people to the PC. "
    Precisely.

I'm still waiting to see if this turns out to be a bum move for Sony. Introducing a competitor's system on your system seems like a risky move, especially when that other system is so excellent. I mean, what if all these people end up saying "Wow, games are cheaper, supported better, and Steam has a far superior interface and feature set! I think I'm gonna switch to PC gaming."

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SniperXan
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " That isn't going to happen. The whole aim of the PS3 thing is to get more gamers (gamers who perhaps don't normally play/buy games on PC) using Steam. Once these people are using Steam they're going to buy into their sales, buy & play Valve's other games on PC and just generally increase their dominance of the PC market. They're not trying to move away from the PC, they're trying to bring more people to the PC. "
    Precisely.

I'm still waiting to see if this turns out to be a bum move for Sony. Introducing a competitor's system on your system seems like a risky move, especially when that other system is so excellent. I mean, what if all these people end up saying "Wow, games are cheaper, supported better, and Steam has a far superior interface and feature set! I think I'm gonna switch to PC gaming."

"
    I dunno, I get the feeling more and more that PC gaming and console gaming are becoming more and more mutually exclusive. A continued relationship between Valve and Sony could do very well for both parties and really put the screws to MS, console gamers get great Valve games with updates and free DLC, PC gamers get more people playing with them cross platform and everyone wins! Except MS who shot there own foot with this one.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By KarlPilkington

Couldn't care less.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dedodido
    @SniperXan said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    Precisely.

"
    I dunno, I get the feeling more and more that PC gaming and console gaming are becoming more and more mutually exclusive. A continued relationship between Valve and Sony could do very well for both parties and really put the screws to MS, console gamers get great Valve games with updates and free DLC, PC gamers get more people playing with them cross platform and everyone wins! Except MS who shot there own foot with this one. "
    Only problem is that when playing co-op cross platform us PC users will have to wait half an hour for the PS3 bot to just turn around.
    SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SniperXan
    @Dedodido said:
    " @SniperXan said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    Precisely.

"
    I dunno, I get the feeling more and more that PC gaming and console gaming are becoming more and more mutually exclusive. A continued relationship between Valve and Sony could do very well for both parties and really put the screws to MS, console gamers get great Valve games with updates and free DLC, PC gamers get more people playing with them cross platform and everyone wins! Except MS who shot there own foot with this one. "
    Only problem is that when playing co-op cross platform us PC users will have to wait half an hour for the PS3 bot to just turn around. "
    Wait...really? Did you really just say that? Really? Are you really so stupid? Hate PC Elitists >.> I know competitive shooters wouldn't really work cross platform but something like Portal Co-Op would be wonderful, heck I think even L4D would work well. 
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

Guess what, half life 3, probably not coming to consoles. Neither is Steam. This is a one off thing, PC despite being less accessible is still king

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By craigbo180
    @Yanngc33:  The only way half life 3 doesn't come out on consoles is if it doesn't come out at all, which I guess at this point I wouldn't blame you for thinking.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By abdo
    @NekuSakuraba: Dude, it's Valve. They will never 'abandon' the PC. Like others have already said, they're expanding their market reach to get more console people on board with Steam.
    Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dedodido
    @SniperXan said:
    " @Dedodido said:
    " @SniperXan said:
    " @ProfessorEss said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    Precisely.

"
    Only problem is that when playing co-op cross platform us PC users will have to wait half an hour for the PS3 bot to just turn around. "
    Wait...really? Did you really just say that? Really? Are you really so stupid? Hate PC Elitists >.> I know competitive shooters wouldn't really work cross platform but something like Portal Co-Op would be wonderful, heck I think even L4D would work well.  "
    It's called satire. It's much easier to place portals to the required accuracy with a mouse, that was my point. Did you really think I thought I'd be waiting for half an hour for someone to turn around? Man the internet is easy to troll...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.