Kotaku just spoiled the ending for me... idiots!

• 70 results
#1 Edited by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -

Okay, that's it. I'll never ever go on Kotaku again (People kept talking about how shitty Kotaku was but I stilI sometimes went there for news stuff etc.).

So, just today I got Portal 2 in the mail and started playing it. Really enjoyed it so far.

And now this (link has spoiler, obviously):

http://kotaku.com/5807085/portal-2s-want-you-gone-sounds-even-better-when-sung-by-electric-guitar

...an article about a song in Portal 2 and that idiot Fahey spoils part of the ending without any warning and in doing that basically runined a good chunk of story for me. I'm effin mad.

edit: turns out they apparently didn't spoil the amazing part, lucky me

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

I hate it when that happens.

#3 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I dunno if I would call that a spoiler, unless they changed the article or something.

#4 Posted by omghisam (287 posts) -

there's a song at the end of Portal 2. </spoiler>

#5 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1744 posts) -

I didn't see anything in that article that spoils the ending. I think you're good.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -

don't read kotaku

#7 Edited by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -
@OneKillWonder said:

I didn't see anything in that article that spoils the ending. I think you're good.

Obviously, I haven't seen the ending yet but it sounds very spoiler-ish.

So you're telling me this isn't part of the ending:

?
#8 Posted by MEATBALL (3235 posts) -

A tad dramatic. Extremely little about the story seems to have been spoiled in that article.

#9 Posted by shinigami420 (640 posts) -

hate it when it happends Sucks  

some one on youtube spoiled all the big cathrine plot points in the comments of one of the trailers 

#10 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Honestly, upon seeing it was about Portal 2, you should've just ignored it--the title spoiler is obscure enough to not mean anything to anyone who hasn't beaten the game. Even then, the spoiler you are speaking about still lacks context. 
However, why Kotaku needs to post an article about someone covering video game music with an electric guitar is completely beyond me, especially when accompanied by 7 sentences of emotionless dribble. I guess that's enough reason to not go to Kotaku.

#11 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

dude the cake is a lie there is no spoon i just saved you like six hours

#12 Posted by DeeGee (2123 posts) -

These are the risks you take when you use the internet. The game is a month old, not everybody is going to keep the ending secret, and the throw away line really doesn't reveal much about the ending. I thought they'd revealed the ACTUAL ending, which would give you a reason to be angry, because it's so great. But they didn't.

Basically, don't read Portal news articles if you haven't played the game.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:
@OneKillWonder said:

?
not especially?
#14 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

It is a spoiler in the sense that you know Glados wants you gone... but so what? She's always wanted you gone. I see how it might be a spoiler but trust me. It's the most minor spoiler of the crazy things that happen in that game.

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:
@OneKillWonder said:

?
While that sucks a little bit, you aren't going to be disappointed by the ending just by knowing that.
#16 Posted by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -
Okay,  you guys telling me that this has only little to do with the ending is good news.

@Red said:
Honestly, upon seeing it was about Portal 2, you should've just ignored it--the title spoiler is obscure enough to not mean anything to anyone who hasn't beaten the game. Even then, the spoiler you are speaking about still lacks context. However, why Kotaku needs to post an article about someone covering video game music with an electric guitar is completely beyond me, especially when accompanied by 7 sentences of emotionless dribble. I guess that's enough reason to not go to Kotaku.
It's just a last straw I needed to stay away from Kotaku...
#17 Edited by Metal_Mills (2996 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

@OneKillWonder said:

?
She sung a song at the en of Portal 1. It's not a spoiler. I thought you meant it ruined it where the portal changed and you ended up next to G-Man. 

#18 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1744 posts) -
@CptBedlam:  A song from GlaDOS at the end of the game was to be expected since the original game ended with one as well. The song is during the credits and has very, very little to do with the story, nor is it the reason that the actual ending to the game is so goddamn amazing. Nothing major has been spoiled for you, so I wouldn't worry about it. But seeing as the game has been out for awhile now, I would steer clear of Internet forums about Portal just to be on the safe side until you finish the game.
#19 Posted by Swoxx (2998 posts) -

Of course there's gonna be a new song. someone "spoiled" it for me with their Alive vs want you gone" thread title. I was expecting there to be a new song. Listening to it though might be dumb

#20 Posted by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -
@Metal_Mills: I better leave this thread now. %)
#21 Posted by Lobster_Ear (285 posts) -

If you've played even half an hour of the first game that wouldn't be a spoiler. Chill the fuck out.

#22 Posted by Bocam (3742 posts) -

Hey did you know... Wheatley is the final boss?

#23 Posted by Rebirth1337 (795 posts) -

I saw this review on Youtube that played the whole ending but sped up. Safe to say I'll never buy Portal 2 now.

#24 Posted by BeachThunder (11927 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:
@Metal_Mills: I better leave this thread now. %)
Yes, leave this thread and go play Portal 2 :o

Also, like others have said, what you saw spoiled nothing. I saw the name of the song title just like you did, but it really doesn't spoil anything. There are a lot more interesting things in the game than the title of that song :P
#25 Posted by Mopsical (26 posts) -

There are so many other, bigger things about the storyline you could be spoiled by other than that. That isn't a spoiler at all. (I actually went into the ending knowing that title, still the best / most surprising ending of a game I've ever played).  

P.S. Kotaku ... lol

#26 Posted by CrimsonNoir (401 posts) -

not much of a spoiler at all, who wasn't expecting a new ending song? one of the things portal 1 was famous for.

#27 Posted by rmanthorp (3943 posts) -

Spoilers are the worst!

#28 Posted by Getz (3004 posts) -

OMG JoCo spoiled Portal 2 with his song "Still Alive" OMG OMG OMG NOW I KNOW GLADOS IS STILL ALIVE I HATE JONATHAN COULTON

#29 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

How is that a spoiler... >.>

#30 Edited by Hunkulese (2721 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

Okay, that's it. I'll never ever go on Kotaku again (People kept talking about how shitty Kotaku was but I stilI sometimes went there for news stuff etc.).  So, just today I got Portal 2 in the mail and started playing it. Really enjoyed it so far.  And now this (link has spoiler, obviously):  http://kotaku.com/5807085/portal-2s-want-you-gone-sounds-even-better-when-sung-by-electric-guitar  ...an article about a song in Portal 2 and that idiot Fahey spoils part of the ending without any warning and in doing that basically runined a good chunk of story for me. I'm effin mad.  edit: turns out they apparently didn't spoil the amazing part, lucky me

It's a spoiler because there is a song and GLaDOS doesn't like you? I'm not really sure how that ruins "a good chunk of story" for you. Would I be spoiling the story if I told you that you get both orange and  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.   portals? 

The game has been out long enough that most people have finished it. If you're that anal about spoilers why would you even click on a story about portal when you know that there is a good possibility that any new news about the game will probably contain some type of spoiler? 

#31 Edited by SSully (4185 posts) -

Haha how embarrassing, the author promoted your comment to the front of the comment list. That is far from being a spoiler amigo, better luck next time. 

#32 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

SPOILERS MASS EFFECT ENDS WITH THE SONG M4 PART 2 BY THE FAUNTS

#33 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
@Bocam said:
Hey did you know... Wheatley is the final boss?
that's wrong, poor fella will hate giantbomb now.
#34 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

Not really any spoilers there, so.... 

Also, if you haven't finished Portal 2 by now, that's your own issue. You had until April 24th at most. Come on man, get your life in order.

#35 Posted by angelkanarias (1440 posts) -
@SSully said:
Haha how embarrassing, the author promoted your comment to the front of the comment list. That is far from being a spoiler amigo, better luck next time. 
haha didn't notice that. internet shame is the worst.
#36 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

That article spoiled nothing, in fact articles on this site, or any other site about games technically spoil things about games if they give away any plot details. Just depends how much you care about not knowing anything about the plot before playing it.

I'll be avoiding all Mass Effect 3 related news and videos till I play it, I know that much.

#37 Edited by Icemael (6320 posts) -
#38 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -
#39 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Suck it up. Jesus, what was the spoiler there? There wasn't one. Grow up, fuck.

#40 Posted by EpicBenjamin (625 posts) -
@Pinworm45
SPOILERS MASS EFFECT ENDS WITH THE SONG M4 PART 2 BY THE FAUNTS
GOOOOOD SPOILERS DUDE.
#41 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -
@CptBedlam said:

@OneKillWonder said:

?
They didn't spoil WHY she wants you gone. Lets put it that way. ; ) 

Plus, there are SO many great and funny moments (and oh shit moments) in the game, the ending is actually the dumbest. Not only because its over, but because I thought the ending was just dumb. And I mean the absolute last scene (the song)
#42 Edited by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

The behavior that the editors displayed in the comments is even more disgusting.  Look at the amount of ass kissing from the commenters even after the editor's big fuck up and after their stupid and chlidish replies to the OP by the so called "Editors", who the hell would lower themselves to the point of being less than a tool? geez what a messed up community. the ironic part is that the article was probably at the front page thanks to Gawker's crappy redesign so a lot of people got spoiled without warning.

.@SomeDeliCook said:
@CptBedlam said:

@OneKillWonder said:

?
They didn't spoil WHY she wants you gone. Lets put it that way. ; )  Plus, there are SO many great and funny moments (and oh shit moments) in the game, the ending is actually the dumbest. Not only because its over, but because I thought the ending was just dumb. And I mean the absolute last scene (the song)
Sigh, KNOWING that she survives and lets you go is a spoiler in itself, is it really that hard to understand?
#43 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

this really doesn't spoil anything.

that's like saying "the endboss of game X wants to kill you and does not like that you're resisting. also, end credits!"

(real) spoilers are bad but sometimes people just need to chill out...

#44 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

What a lunatic thread. Right? Riiight?

#45 Posted by CptBedlam (4450 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
What a lunatic thread. Right? Riiight?
Right.
#46 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (499 posts) -

I don't see how the title of the end credits song spoils anything. You sir are an over-reacting juvenile. 

#47 Posted by Jonnyflash80 (499 posts) -
Sigh, KNOWING that she survives and lets you go is a spoiler in itself, is it really that hard to understand?
What? Anyone who saw trailers for Portal 2 knew that GLaDOS makes a return. Look at the very first trailer from E3 last year. It's not like Valve was keeping it a big secret.  
#48 Posted by RepThePlantDawg420 (131 posts) -

suks bro

#49 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@omghisam said:
there's a song at the end of Portal 2. </spoiler>
#50 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -
A spoiler would be me telling you that you portal to the centre of the earth at the end... Oh shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.