Portal 2 Co-Op and How cooperative play can be fun

Posted by tzmhero (9 posts) -

I just finished Portal 2's single player story, and man was that fun. The ending, through the two songs and brief little bit by a certain now favorite video game character just made me smile. Then, it was time for myself, and my younger brother to break our way into the Co-Op mode. My little brother, who had watched me play the full single player game (and often realizing the answer to a puzzle before I would) was a very good partner. Both of us took on the 'gosh dang it, listen to me and do as I say!' role pretty evenly, and that was just... great to have with my bro, especially since I'll be moving out of my parents house in another month.

Portal 2 Has one of these co-op modes where you just feel... so gosh darn intelligent when you finish a level or a portion of a level. Both of you really have to work together to complete a single objective, and then, beyond that, figure out the order in which you have to complete objectives. The excitement you get when you realize you just figured out what you needed to do is just amazing, I really love the entire experience. 
If I had to pick a favorite part, at this moment, it would be one of the last levels during the Light Bridge section, where you have to sync up your positions so you both fall through a portal at the same time, so you can smack into each other and land on a platform you otherwise would not be able to land on. That was just... amazing.

There are many games that should take note on how Portal 2's Co-Op campaign has been made, because I really believe that they have made a great little world for you to Portal about in.

In closing, I recommend Portal 2 just for it's Co-Op alone! It is great fun, and although it can kinda feel like you payed just a tad bit too much for the overall package, it still represents some of the greatest Co-Op a game has ever done. The people at Valve really know how to make a nicely polished game, and it shows.

~Tzm

#1 Edited by tzmhero (9 posts) -

I just finished Portal 2's single player story, and man was that fun. The ending, through the two songs and brief little bit by a certain now favorite video game character just made me smile. Then, it was time for myself, and my younger brother to break our way into the Co-Op mode. My little brother, who had watched me play the full single player game (and often realizing the answer to a puzzle before I would) was a very good partner. Both of us took on the 'gosh dang it, listen to me and do as I say!' role pretty evenly, and that was just... great to have with my bro, especially since I'll be moving out of my parents house in another month.

Portal 2 Has one of these co-op modes where you just feel... so gosh darn intelligent when you finish a level or a portion of a level. Both of you really have to work together to complete a single objective, and then, beyond that, figure out the order in which you have to complete objectives. The excitement you get when you realize you just figured out what you needed to do is just amazing, I really love the entire experience. 
If I had to pick a favorite part, at this moment, it would be one of the last levels during the Light Bridge section, where you have to sync up your positions so you both fall through a portal at the same time, so you can smack into each other and land on a platform you otherwise would not be able to land on. That was just... amazing.

There are many games that should take note on how Portal 2's Co-Op campaign has been made, because I really believe that they have made a great little world for you to Portal about in.

In closing, I recommend Portal 2 just for it's Co-Op alone! It is great fun, and although it can kinda feel like you payed just a tad bit too much for the overall package, it still represents some of the greatest Co-Op a game has ever done. The people at Valve really know how to make a nicely polished game, and it shows.

~Tzm

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.