Portal 2 Coming To PS3 with Steamworks Support

Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

The Portal 2-themed surprise was revealed at, of all places, Sony's E3 2010 press briefing. The follow-up to 2007's uber-acclaimed title will ship day and date on the PS3 alongside the Xbox 360, PC, and Mac versions of the game.

The PS3 version in particular will ship with Steamworks functionality, meaning the game will support Valve's substantial suite of traditional PC support that includes auto-updating, DLC drops, and possibly cloud-based saves. 

Valve's move to put Portal 2 on the PS3 might end an era where it was really easy to get a studio to say something downright nasty about videogame hardware. During the media briefing Valve co-founder Gabe Newell took the stage and nervously made a joke about his critical words in the past. 

In the official announcement materials, Newell spoke to these comments. "When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform's biggest critics," Newell said in a statement. "However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PS3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game."  

Portal 2 was recently pushed back into 2011. The game is currently on the floor at E3, so expect to hear a bit more about the game soon-ish.    
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

The Portal 2-themed surprise was revealed at, of all places, Sony's E3 2010 press briefing. The follow-up to 2007's uber-acclaimed title will ship day and date on the PS3 alongside the Xbox 360, PC, and Mac versions of the game.

The PS3 version in particular will ship with Steamworks functionality, meaning the game will support Valve's substantial suite of traditional PC support that includes auto-updating, DLC drops, and possibly cloud-based saves. 

Valve's move to put Portal 2 on the PS3 might end an era where it was really easy to get a studio to say something downright nasty about videogame hardware. During the media briefing Valve co-founder Gabe Newell took the stage and nervously made a joke about his critical words in the past. 

In the official announcement materials, Newell spoke to these comments. "When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform's biggest critics," Newell said in a statement. "However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PS3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game."  

Portal 2 was recently pushed back into 2011. The game is currently on the floor at E3, so expect to hear a bit more about the game soon-ish.    
#2 Posted by joshwent (2201 posts) -

Go Valve Go!

#3 Posted by Anthony_Galindo (92 posts) -

I called it read my earlier status update on the site.

#4 Posted by Droop (1870 posts) -

Meh .. :|

#5 Posted by Doshimo76 (14 posts) -

about time we get some Valve on PS3!!!

#6 Posted by metalsnakezero (2295 posts) -

Watch, Valve will make a Wii game too.

#7 Posted by crazyleaves (646 posts) -

love it, first?

#8 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -

God, that was such a good moment in the press conference. And the teaser they showed was great!

#9 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

no shit

#10 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -

Gabe Newell is the best kind of surprise.
Still getting it on PC though :p

#11 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

That's pretty cool, hopefully Steamworks support will become to norm for console versions of Valve products now.
That said, I'll still be getting the PC version.

#12 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -
@Anthony_Galindo: Nice call.
#13 Posted by TheGringoMan (7 posts) -

I'm pretty sure This is the start of the Apocalypse.

#14 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Steamworks integration on a console is huge.

I will keep saying it until people realize it.

#15 Posted by Dapper (9 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lD8N1YCVxc

#16 Posted by lubba (30 posts) -

nice

#17 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I am liking it!! And great job with these updates, dudes!

#18 Posted by Deusoma (3006 posts) -

Okay...
So it's on another platform. So what? 
Yeah, if it avoids the dearth of expansion that totally shafted the people who played TF2 on 360, then it's a good thing and I might even get that version.
But it's no big surprise, and it's certainly nothing to tease for weeks beforehand.
Maybe Valve is losing their touch.

#19 Posted by Hamst3r (4482 posts) -

This would be way cooler if it meant cross-platform play, but it doesn't. That aside, it's still pretty rad. WANT PORTAL 2 NOW.

#20 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

"Hi, I'm Gabe Newell"

#21 Posted by sjolle (165 posts) -

gad damit release on pc first !

#22 Posted by BigChief (503 posts) -
@Olivaw said:
" Steamworks integration on a console is huge.  I will keep saying it until people realize it. "
Yeah, I'm really interested to see how that works.
#23 Posted by kingclaw (757 posts) -

I really need to get the orange box now

#24 Posted by Juno500 (429 posts) -

I liked Newell's joke about Kevin Butler.

#25 Posted by Jrad (622 posts) -

Goddammit, Gabe! Stick to your principles, bro.

That said: Portal on PS3 is actually kinda rad I guess? So long as Valve doesn't dumb down the next full-on version of the Source engine for consoles, I'll support them to the end.

#26 Posted by Downandout (290 posts) -
@Olivaw: It really is thats the thing that caught my attention a LOT
#27 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

lol, anyone else think gabe looked like he died a little inside when he said that PS3 praise?
#28 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2106 posts) -

Seeing Gabe Newell, my heart skipped a beat.  Seriously, I thought my Playstation 3 lost all its Valve support after Orange Box, but we are back in Business.  Of course it will be a day one purchase on PC first, my Playstation will also get some Portal 2.

#29 Posted by dudeglove (7840 posts) -

Gabe Newell appears to wear the same clothes constantly.

#30 Posted by EthanML (455 posts) -

"Hi I'm Gabe Newell and I'm getting payed thousands for every pro-Sony sentiment I fit in this speech."

#31 Posted by SenorTrampoline (122 posts) -
@Olivaw: almost as huge as....nvm not gonna do it. dont wanna delay this any further lol
#32 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

So was all this PS3 hate stuff a red herring, or did Sony send Kevin Butler and a shit ton of money to Valve?

#33 Edited by Phished0ne (2505 posts) -
@WitchHunter_Z said:

" That's pretty cool, hopefully Steamworks support will become to norm for console versions of Valve products now. That said, I'll still be getting the PC version. "

I dont think MS would let them. Do you really think Gabe would've came to Sony at all if steamworks support would be available for the 360? 

Gabe basically said "the PS3 is impossible to program for" and "Valve will never make a game for the PS3" .  I think Valve had already asked MS if Steam could come to Xbox in some way, and MS said no. How quick did Gabe go from "NEVER!" to "PS3 PORTAL WILL BE BEST VERSION EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR", that has to mean sony gave them something MS wouldnt, Steam support.  Also Notice the wording of what he said "PS3 is the MOST OPEN platform"  now it may all just be hype..but think about it.  

I loved the joke Gabe made about Kevin Butler introducing himself as "Vice President Of Sharpening Things". 
#34 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

One step closer to PC gamings eventual death, this announcement is.

#35 Posted by MAST (733 posts) -
@BigChief said:
" @Olivaw said:
" Steamworks integration on a console is huge.  I will keep saying it until people realize it. "
Yeah, I'm really interested to see how that works. "
This is crazy. Could this eventually progress into Steam actually being on the PS3? Wouldn't that compete with the PS3's own store?

My mind is just blown by anything Steam related coming to a console.
#36 Posted by outerabiz (661 posts) -

so the press conference competition is pretty much over now right? im calling it, Sony wins.
also with the steam support does this mean that if i buy it on pc i get it for free on ps3 like with the mac/pc thing? and will steam cloud support platform changing?

#37 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

haha gotta love these things

#38 Posted by DockJaw (93 posts) -
@EthanML: Yeah because he really needs the money right? Also that's what major international corporations deal with currencywise is thousands. Totally.
#39 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@Olivaw said:
What is steam works?
#40 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

When he says Steamworks support on PS3 I assume he means it will connect to their servers for patches and the like, but Steam itself will not be running on PS3... that would be insane.

It's still cool though, in its own way.  I wonder if you will need an activation code.

#41 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

Did gabe have $100 bills coming out of his pockets like scrooge mcduck when sony bought him off like Microsoft did to make Crap ports of Good PC games for console noobs like Microsoft did with epic/lionhead/call of duty what ever crap company Microsoft buys out?

Sony used to be the master of BRibes and buyouts with wads of cash for crap PC ports  until microsoft came along now sony just buys out the dude who calls the ps3 crap to shut him up.

Or maybe it was that whole EA will cut his paycheck if he did not throw crap on all consoles and crap apple MACS..

Oh wait Microsoft bought out Crap DLC for call of duty because console noobs are dumb enough to buy it like zombies.....then again they are dumb enough to play a crap game like call of duty 4/modern crap whatits the black ops......

#42 Posted by Emtiff (20 posts) -

awesome - i just hope this means Valve will finally give us a trohpy patch for The Orange Box!
#43 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

This is excellent news!

#44 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

See Gabe's pockets, that's where your PSN Plus money's going.

#45 Posted by phlegms (1607 posts) -

I thought Gabe totally dissed the ps3 a couple of years ago? Said it was impossible to develop for etc. etc.. 
I guess all developers have their price then..

#46 Posted by EthanML (455 posts) -
@maver1ck89 said:
" @EthanML: Yeah because he really needs the money right? Also that's what major international corporations deal with currencywise is thousands. Totally. "
Alright smart-ass, my point that these guys are blatantly just bought out by the respective companies still stands. And of course he doesn't "need" the money - when has that ever stopped any celebrity in history from doing anything to make more?
#47 Posted by Blair (2505 posts) -
@EthanML said:
" "Hi I'm Gabe Newell and I'm getting payed thousands for every pro-Sony sentiment I fit in this speech." "
Hi Gabe.  I represent the interests of Sega and I would also like to pay you a large sum of financial capital in order to get you to edit your speech by replacing 'Sony' with 'Sega' and 'PS3' with 'Dreamcast 2'.
#48 Posted by FinalCut (94 posts) -

This was crazy, waaaaaay out of left field. It's tough to call between Nintendo and Sony for best conference but I'd say Sony wins by a little for sheer quantity.

#49 Edited by august (3845 posts) -

Kotaku ran a story a month or so back where they basically took Gabe out of context in a lengthy interview where he said something like he hoped that Sony would continue to make the PS3 "open like a mac instead of closed like a Gamecube." The implication of the story being that Gabe called the PS3 a gamecube. Cue thousands of furious personal attacks by dudes with anime avatars. 

This announcement kinda puts that story in a whole new light, ay?
#50 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

I hope this wasn't the "surprise"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.