Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 Controversy

• 70 results
    liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By liquidmatt

http://www.wbtv.com/category/195957/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5859090&redirected=true

Video-game controversy strikes again, over Portal 2.
    A father who's daughter is adopted took offence at the line by Wheatley - "What's wrong with being adopted? Urm.. no parents."
    While I can understand the line itself might bring up questions in their household, the context it is presented in (Wheatley is specifically described as being the combined moronic elements of the mind) and the fact that the entire game is presented with a light humoured tone, particularly the insulting nature of the artifical characters, I would say outweigh any gravity the line creates.

But what do you think GB? Is is right to turn the game off and ring the news channels? Is Portal 2 offensive?
    Honestly I find the reporters more ignorant than the father, when they blame Sony for "passing the buck" onto Valve, who created the game. They really think this is worse than anything you'd find said in a school playground? And in general, does the news have a right judging games?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Doctorchimp

If that daughter keeps taking offense for no reason she might have to find another daddy...

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

The fact that they keep saying Portal 2 was meant to be an educational game got on my nerves.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

You've got to be kidding me...

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

Sigh...

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By EmuLeader

The game means it as a way of trying to tell her that her parents are dead, or the parents she thought were real were not.  Its not really a jab at adopted children as a way to try to break down what Chell thinks is true.  Its also similar to when GLADOS calls Chell fat.  I don't think overweight people should be offended by that.  I just think people are always looking for a way to be offended and take things way more personally than the creators intend.  My personal opinion anyways.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I can't even start to say how stupid this is. Who in his/her right mind would be so insecure that a line in a video game (that is supposed to be educational? huh?) could offend the person THAT much. For heavens sakes, we are talking about kids ... most kids have the attention span of a piece of bread. The kid would have forgotten about this within 20 minutes.

Are we now waiting for the people who are offended by the fat-jokes in the game? Thinking about it ... im overweight ... time to get my 15 minutes of fame and go on TV!
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Simplexity

I made it to about 20 seconds of that video before it just got to stupid and I had to go punch a wall.

It's almost incredible how idiotic people can be.
    liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By liquidmatt

Made me laugh that they criticise the game for having that one line in case the daughter questions her relationship with her parents, but as the father said "she's chinese, she doesn't look like us."

So do they ban mirrors too, in case she wonders why she looks different?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777
    If anything, the game discriminates against robotic artificial intelligences (or non-intelligences) but you dont see anyone else raising a stink eye to that! Hypocrites...
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Enigma777: Robots are people too.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm offended that I'm not in space ;_;

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ryanwho

Get your news from wbtv.com often or only when you want to propagate fluff stories?

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By sparklykiss
    @liquidmatt said:

Made me laugh that they criticise the game for having that one line in case the daughter questions her relationship with her parents, but as the father said "she's chinese, she doesn't look like us."So do they ban mirrors too, in case she wonders why she looks different?

I thought the same. She seems smart enough to realize that.
    "Character in a kid's video game" heh, okay. Have any overweight people called Valve in regards to the fat comments made my GLaDOS?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Sparklykiss: Gabe is pissed at the staff.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#16  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Eh, people are morons and sue-happy.  They gotta have something to bitch about in the hopes of making a splash for the cash, baby cakes.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By face15

I can understand the family being sensitive to that part of the game but it does not warrant any media attention. This is a terrible, terrible piece of journalism. 

I fucking hate the media so much.
    JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By JoeyRavn

Love the complete lack of context in this "piece" of news. They don't even say why Wheatley says that. They even twist the facts to make Portal 2 "educational". It's embarrasing what some people and news corporations will do to generate more traffic and publicity. It's disgusting. Oh, and they don't even allow comments on that video. Talk about one-sided journalism...

But hey. My parents were fat and died when a neurotoxin filled the room they were working in. I'm so offended by this game.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MisterChief

Don't worry guys. According to their motto, WBTV is on our side.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By Danteveli

Wow I can't imagine stuff like that happen anywhere. How the hell can you have problems with this. Its part of the story and since begining of the game you hear stuff like that as AI is thaing stabs at you every chamber and thats part of the games charm. Maybe there should be new logo on games - it can offend someone?

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By PhatSeeJay

It's interesting how he did not notice the fifteen previous remarks the antagonists threw at Chell for being an orphan, but hey! You hear what you want to hear, right?
    The game is cruel all around! Why should this specific thing be sla- what the fuck does she keep saying it's educational?!

What does it educate? Don't stand in front of a turret?

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By liquidmatt
    @JoeyRavn said:
    My parents were fat and died when a neurotoxin filled the room they were working in. I'm so offended by this game.
    Hey, wait a moment, my sister was turned into a potato and stolen by a bird, which news channel should I ring first?
    Jobezilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's local news. It's always bullshit.

Also, the dad is over reacting, or looking for attention. Either way, he's totally unjustified. First of all, Portal 2 is a work of fiction. Second of all, it is a remark made by a VILLAIN of the game. If we are going to get upset about villains speaking out against things that aren't really considered "bad" by society, then there can't be any villains. Someone somewhere made an excellent point by comparing this to Annie, which is an adored classic and, waddya know, has lines that are insulting on the basis of being adopted.
    The simple fact of the matter is that, if anything, it's GOOD that it has an effect. 

@BeachThunder^.^
    @face15: Please don't bunch local news channels in with journalism or media as a whole. First of all, they are ALWAYS the absolute WORST sources of actual news. They are always looking to spin things in the worst possible light, in the stupidest way possible. It's a constant with local news channels. Half of their "investigations" are inventions and misrepresentation of legitimate actions taken by free citizens, not terrible evil performed by the masters of hell, like they want you to think. Honestly, it's just as disgusting that that shit is covered under freedom of press. Press my ass, they just make shit up. I'm not even joking, I've been inside of a local news station before, they literally just invent bullshit to make their stories more interesting. They tend to be very FOX-esque in their approach to news. ie, make it as inflammatory and stupid as possible to get the idiots who fall for that shit to eat up their content.
    Also, Sony distributed Portal 2? I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, in fact I'm pretty sure the only connection with Sony and that game is that it's ON a Sony platform. Which just goes to show you how very, very little local news stations give a fuck about their stories.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Yanngc33

Fat people are going to destry this game then

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By swamplord666

but... Didn't GlaDOS say that what Wheatley said was terrible in the news article itself? Ugh... this has gotten more attention than it deserves.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scooper

The whole point of that plot device is because GLaDoS is trying to make Chell's life a misery, constantly mocking and putting her down, but her basis for what human's find embarrassing or shameful seems to of been learnt from GLaDoS reading a bunch of texts. It's like she's been alone reading stories where people get put down for being adopted or read magazines about celebrities getting fatter and and she's thought that's a good putdown that she can use against Chell.

When Wheatley is in control, he tries to use insults that worked for GLaDoS because he's too dimwitted to come up with his own, GLaDoS turns that against him because she quizzes him about "why is being adopted wrong?" and Wheatley has no answer because in reality there is no reason to be ashamed for being adopted.

The game was cleverly written to expose the fact that there's nothing wrong with being adopted, obviously this minute subtlety eluded this moron.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster

So many people in that video deserve uppercuts.

Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

"What's wrong with being adopted? Urm.. no parents."

Says the moronic, evil robot with no parents.

Educational? I did some research, by which I mean I read a description of the game (see below), I even searched using the CTRL-F function for the word educational, yet strangely there are no references in the article that add any substance to these claims, this game has no more educational value for kids learning about science than the educational value that games like GTA IV have for students going through driver's ed.

About the Game

Portal 2 draws from the award-winning formula of innovative gameplay, story, and music that earned the original Portal over 70 industry accolades and created a cult following.

The single-player portion of Portal 2 introduces a cast of dynamic new characters, a host of fresh puzzle elements, and a much larger set of devious test chambers. Players will explore never-before-seen areas of the Aperture Science Labs and be reunited with GLaDOS, the occasionally murderous computer companion who guided them through the original game.

The game’s two-player cooperative mode features its own entirely separate campaign with a unique story, test chambers, and two new player characters. This new mode forces players to reconsider everything they thought they knew about portals. Success will require them to not just act cooperatively, but to think cooperatively.

Product Features

• Extensive single player: Featuring next generation gameplay and a wildly-engrossing story.
    • Complete two-person co-op: Multiplayer game featuring its own dedicated story, characters, and gameplay.
    • Advanced physics: Allows for the creation of a whole new range of interesting challenges, producing a much larger but not harder game.
    • Original music.
    • Massive sequel: The original Portal was named 2007's Game of the Year by over 30 publications worldwide.
    • Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch.

I think this only bothers people on here as it looks like another attack on the video games industry, I just hope for the kids sake that she is never asked to read classic literature at school, can you imagine what that TV station would be saying about Oliver Twist?
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By time allen
    @liquidmatt said:

http://www.wbtv.com/category/195957/video-landing-page?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5859090&redirected=true

Video-game controversy strikes again, over Portal 2.
    A father who's daughter is adopted took offence at the line by Wheatley - "What's wrong with being adopted? Urm.. no parents."

my advice to that guy would be to immediately stop being such a pussy. nothing happens to you when you're offended.
    liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By liquidmatt

Being that Portal 2 is a puzzle game, surely it holds as much use to being educational as completing a jigsaw does to increasing your intelligence. (This is a very tedious link but hopefully you get my point.)

Maybe what it has taught the chinese adopted girl is that if she were ever stuck in a situation where she is basically held hostage by robots, they might say things that aren't very nice.
    Life's a bitch for her, huh.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Who is WB TV...Never heard of this crap TV network. Must be local.

Also do not call this controversy. Its some girl being easily offended.  
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By probablytuna

Stupid journalism is stupid.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ventilaator

When Glados went "For the record, you're adopted and that's terrible", I started waiting for somebody to take offense at that, because people are fucking idiots.

I, of course, laughed.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SeriouslyNow

So any fictional characters who happen to insult adopted children are also OK to target?  I'm sure there are a ton.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By strainedeyes

Oh that Sony, always trying to pass the buck onto someone else. Hard hitting journalists at work.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By ajamafalous

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShaggE

Sneak preview of GLaDOS's lines in Portal 3:

"Oh, you're adopted, just like my last test subject! Nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it should be a source of pride! You're special, and I am rooting for you."

"I must say, you are looking wonderful today! We can test if you want, but only if you're up to it."

"This test chamber was going to be lined with turrets, but that's far too dangerous. So I lined it with unicorn murals instead."

Ending song: "You're Adopted (And That's Okay)"
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By imsh_pl

My reaction after watching the video:

No Caption Provided
    wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By wealllikepie

lololololol I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BooDoug187

Idiot adopts idiot kid and gets upset over idiot thing...

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By wealllikepie

btw hey guys, i know what will cheer up this thread... SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

It's a slow news week obviously.

In any case, if they found Portal 2 offensive, I would love to sit them down in front of 75% of the comedians out there today.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By EuanDewar

"Controversy" is not the word I would use, more "A few stupid people, saying stupid things."

McGriddle550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By McGriddle550

And this my friends is why I hate people

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AnimalFather

thats news for you. you think they are accurate about other things as well? no they are equally retarded whe it comes to global events too.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NTM

Oh, so E stands for educational now huh? Man, everyone except for the little girl that actually played the game were phased by it. Ignorant, ignorant people. They thought sony made it. Anyways, with it being said, I guess some could take offense towards some of the remarks, but then again, it's supposed to be humorous, and it is.
    BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BooDoug187
    @EuanDewar said:
    "Controversy" is not the word I would use, more "A few stupid people, saying stupid things."
    Have them watch the Venture Bros episode about the Joy Can...

Part of it was made from an orphan...
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

People need to stop being so sensitive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.