Portal 2 Delayed To Week Of April 18, 2011

• 169 results
Posted by Jeff (3417 posts) -

I think my "outrage at Valve game delay" receptors must have been completely burned out from overuse over the last decade or so, because this news leaves me almost completely numb. While I start thinking about a future where I have to secretly cut myself just so I can feel anything anymore, why don't you read the well-written news brief from Valve about the new ship date for Portal 2?

Valve today announced that Portal 2 -- the sequel to the ground-breaking title that won over 30 game of the year awards, despite missing its original ship date -- will now be available the week of April 18th, 2011. This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.    

So that happened. Surprised?
Staff Online
#1 Posted by Jeff (3417 posts) -

I think my "outrage at Valve game delay" receptors must have been completely burned out from overuse over the last decade or so, because this news leaves me almost completely numb. While I start thinking about a future where I have to secretly cut myself just so I can feel anything anymore, why don't you read the well-written news brief from Valve about the new ship date for Portal 2?

Valve today announced that Portal 2 -- the sequel to the ground-breaking title that won over 30 game of the year awards, despite missing its original ship date -- will now be available the week of April 18th, 2011. This two month slip not only marks the shortest delay in Valve's proud tradition of delays, it represents the approaching convergence of Valve Time and Real Time. Though this convergence spells doom for humanity, it will not affect the new Portal 2 release date.    

So that happened. Surprised?
Staff Online
#2 Posted by Wiseblood (632 posts) -

NOOOOOOOO

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It'll get delayed again.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

nooooooooooooo ;_;

#5 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Meh.

#6 Posted by ESREVER (2669 posts) -

I know the delay is good because it spreads out the amount of releases for February. But I'm still bummed we'll be getting it later rather than sooner.

#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

duh? 

I mean its valve

#8 Posted by HubrisRanger (476 posts) -

Is this the first time Valve has openly recognized the existence of Valve time?

Also: NAWWWWWWWWWW!

#9 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Not surprised, at least they are poking fun at themselves.

#10 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

Not surprised but still disappointed :(

#11 Edited by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

Someone make a website where we can gamble away our XP on Valve Time, because at this point I'd honestly be willing to put up a bet that it doesn't ship in 2011. At best, holiday 2011.

#12 Posted by tobygw (579 posts) -

Typical 

#13 Posted by DrJota (700 posts) -

Setting my watch to Valve Time......and I'm in 1985??

#14 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I'm glad they did this. The longer they take, the more polished it will be. Less bugs too.

#15 Posted by UnderlingX (20 posts) -

I'm thinking as this is near my birthday i may now be able to scrouge it as a present! However the wait is now longer... I may have chewed my fingers off by this point.
#16 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

The release date is a lie!

#17 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -

Well, that sucks. But it looks like half the release dates of highly anticipated games are being delayed, so.. I don't "feel" anything anymore either. It's just the way it is, I guess.. mad world. Oh great, now I feel the urge to watch Donnie Darko again, weird.

#18 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Episode 3 doesn't stand a hope in hell.

#19 Posted by benji_18 (40 posts) -

Week of April 18th...well that's a pleasant Birthday present from Valve!! Hoping this game is going to be as captivating as the first one..

#20 Posted by TonyBlue87 (291 posts) -

AAARRGGHH!!  This was coming out 2 days after my birthday!  Now what am I gonna use my gift cards on?!

#21 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Haha... oh boy... I'll live.

#22 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Haha... oh boy... I'll live.

#23 Posted by Cypher (114 posts) -

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

#24 Edited by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

At least the cake is a lie jokes get to be delayed as well.
#25 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -
@TonyBlue87 said:
" AAARRGGHH!!  This was coming out 2 days after my birthday!  Now what am I gonna use my gift cards on?! "
Now it comes out 4 days before mine.
#26 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

So now it seems to be traditional to have an announcement of the announcement that we will announce the announcement of the delay to the previous day of announcement that we previously announced ...
#27 Posted by SomeGuy890 (122 posts) -

I've read worse press statements. 
Still doesn't change the fact that this is kind of annoying...
#28 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Gasp*...

#30 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Probably a good thing, lots of games announced for Jan, Feb, and Mar but none I know of for April... yet...

#31 Posted by TurboMan (7397 posts) -

*snooze*

#32 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

April 18th is totally my birthday, I'm stoked!

#33 Posted by pepper (304 posts) -

DAMN IT!

#34 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Good! I was worried.

It's been a while since they officially delayed anything.

#35 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

April 18th? So in other words, we shouldn't expect it until at least the last week of May!!!

#36 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Honestly, i didn't know the initial date they had so, i guess I'm not too bothered. 

#37 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

I don't pay much attention to Valve release dates so I'm not too worked up.

#38 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Valve Time? Dicks. I'll wait, hell, I actually forgot about it. If I don't look, maybe it will come.

#39 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Not surprised.

#40 Posted by Pop (2605 posts) -

nah, valve can't mess with valve time, 18 of april means november....

#41 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

#42 Posted by Hexogen (766 posts) -

Doesn't really bother me. I'll just buy something else in the meantime, and whenever they get around to releasing it I'll still buy it.

#43 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Obviously.

#44 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Saw that coming. I probably wouldn't have been able to get it in February anyway.

#45 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Company release dates you should never pay attention to:
Blizzard
Valve

#46 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -
@Quacktastic said:
" Company release dates you should never pay attention to: Blizzard Valve "
You're right, but at least they both consistently deliver a quality product. 

We could all use a little delayed gratification in the internet age. Right guys?
#47 Posted by MostlyBearded (191 posts) -
@Olivaw said:
" Good! I was worried.  It's been a while since they officially delayed anything. "
It did seem too good to be true.
#48 Posted by Hilts (256 posts) -

Let them get it right. I applaud valve for delaying. They know what their doing and they won't pressured by bean counters

#49 Posted by Woodwater (87 posts) -
@shivermetimbers: HA!
#50 Posted by DragonBloodthirsty (470 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" It'll get delayed again. "

Which is worse, many small delays or one big one?

I say many small delays are worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.