Portal 2 DLC coming this summer

#1 Edited by Eidderf (507 posts) -

Apparently new DLC (no confirmation of whether it's single-player or co-op but I guess co-op) will be coming this Summer and will be properly announced in the next couple of weeks. According to the article it will be released alongside another comic of some sort, maybe pointing towards the dlc having an actual story to it instead of it just opening up new challenge rooms.

Not exactly shocking news considering Valve is usually pretty good at supporting their games with DLC after release, but I'm glad to hear it anyway.

#2 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Will people freak out if they have to pay for it?

#3 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

I'll pretty much pick up any and all DLC for this game.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (12432 posts) -
@Eidderf said:
" Apparently new DLC (no confirmation of whether it's single-player or co-op but I guess co-op) will be coming this Summer and will be properly announced in the next couple of weeks. According to the article it will be released alongside another comic of some sort, maybe pointing towards the dlc having an actual story to it instead of it just opening up new challenge rooms. Not exactly shocking news considering Valve is usually pretty good at supporting their games with DLC after release, but I'm glad to hear it anyway. "
Challenge rooms with a story? Maybe you play as Ratman?
#5 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

I have to say, no matter what it is I'm buying it, except if it's free then I won't buy it...

And maybe not if it's something I don't want, then I won't buy it either...
But otherwise, I'm buying it. Unless it's too expensive...
But I promise I'll buy it if those conditions are not true!
#6 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" Will people freak out if they have to pay for it? "
On PC, yes for sure, but I doubt they will.  Valve has set up a tradition of free updates and DLC for PC.
#7 Posted by drag (1206 posts) -

Cool, I would like some more puzzling puzzles.

#8 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

I guess I'm waiting until the GOTY then.

#9 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -
@BeachThunder Interesting idea though I'm guessing it'll continue on from the end of the co-op storyline with glados having another mission for you to perform, seems like the most obvious direction to go in.
#10 Posted by dagas (2930 posts) -

I reinstalled Portal 1 and played it again for the first time in several years. Can't say I understand why people love Portal so much. I like it, but I don't understand how people can think that Portal is Valve's new Half Life. Maybe Portal 2 is better and maybe the fact that I remembered most puzzles and jokes clouds my judgement, but I was left with a "meh" feeling.

#11 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -
@B0nd07 said:
" @Venatio said:
On PC, yes for sure, but I doubt they will.  Valve has set up a tradition of free updates and DLC for PC. "
They've also set up an empire of hats, so I think we'll still have to see on that one. Valve might realize that people value portal a lot, and are willing to pay for it.
#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

Awesome news. More videos and a new comic are always a great thing too. I'm on such a Portal high right now I think I may have to try and pick this thing up day one.

#13 Posted by TonicBH (271 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said: 
They've also set up an empire of hats, so I think we'll still have to see on that one. Valve might realize that people value portal a lot, and are willing to pay for it. "

Valve has said before that when they add new content and subsequently do a small weekend sale for it, the sales skyrocket for that title. It'd be smarter just to add the new content and drop the price down to $30/40 for a weekend, they'll probably get more money than just slapping up $5 map packs.
#14 Posted by B0nd07 (1701 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @B0nd07 said:
" @Venatio said:
On PC, yes for sure, but I doubt they will.  Valve has set up a tradition of free updates and DLC for PC. "
They've also set up an empire of hats, so I think we'll still have to see on that one. Valve might realize that people value portal a lot, and are willing to pay for it. "
Hats, yes, those they'll add to the store, but a new co-op or even single player campaign, no, I don't see them doing that.
#15 Posted by rmanthorp (4057 posts) -

More content for one of my favourite games of all time?
Sure! Sign me up!

WAIT?!?! I MIGHT HAVE TO PAY!!!
FOR MORE FANTASTIC CONTENT!!
WHEN DID HITLER GET RESURRECTED AND HOW DO WE KILL HIM AGAIN! I HUNGER FOR DEATH!

#16 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1180 posts) -
@Venatio said:
Pay for it on the 360?!?  Tell my family i loved them *BANG!*.
#17 Posted by Protonguy (306 posts) -

More portal 2? cannot bloody wait. Makes sense we'll get some more free content, they want to push hats and gesture sales etc.

#18 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I guess I'm waiting until the GOTY then. "
I don't think I've ever seen a GOTY edition of a Valve game before.
#19 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -
@wasteguru said:
" @xyzygy said:
I don't think I've ever seen a GOTY edition of a Valve game before. "
They had one for L4D on the Xbox. Which was weird, because at the time I think it just included a DLC that was available for free anyway.
#20 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" @wasteguru said:
" @xyzygy said:
I don't think I've ever seen a GOTY edition of a Valve game before. "
They had one for L4D on the Xbox. Which was weird, because at the time I think it just included a DLC that was available for free anyway. "
I'm pretty sure there's one for L4D2, and I like to think of The Orange Box as a semi - GOTY, having all the Episodes in with Half Life 2. Albeit at the time it could have been called GOTYTYA (Game Of The Year Three Years Ago)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.