Portal 2 Getting In-Game Map Editor Next Year

• 53 results
Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -
Soon, you too will be able to make your own Portal 2 levels full of weird goo!

UPDATE: I've added screens of the editor--really impressive stuff.

The next piece of content for Portal 2 is something slightly unexpected: an in-game map editor.

Valve says the editor will allow users to create both single and co-op stages, and will be “easy to use,” which suggests an interface much simpler than what is usually used to build levels for games.

Players will also apparently be able to “view, play and vote on them [levels] with a simple click.”

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -
Soon, you too will be able to make your own Portal 2 levels full of weird goo!

UPDATE: I've added screens of the editor--really impressive stuff.

The next piece of content for Portal 2 is something slightly unexpected: an in-game map editor.

Valve says the editor will allow users to create both single and co-op stages, and will be “easy to use,” which suggests an interface much simpler than what is usually used to build levels for games.

Players will also apparently be able to “view, play and vote on them [levels] with a simple click.”

#2 Posted by AverageGreg (120 posts) -

I'm so down for more Portal 2

#3 Posted by FinalBoss (87 posts) -

that seems cool.

#4 Posted by roughplague (131 posts) -

That sounds really cool, I'm down for that!

They should have a voice changer to make your own robot crazy A.I. voice too

#5 Posted by Cheesimus (18 posts) -

I assume this is for pc only, but wouldn't it be nice if console owners could share in the user created levels, maybe a best of pack or something?

#6 Posted by l3illyl3ob (284 posts) -

I'm pumped about this. I seriously hope this gives as much life to the game as the track editor does to Trackmania.

#7 Posted by White_Silhouette (473 posts) -

My guess the editor will be for PC but ps3 users will be able to download user created maps. MS will want to charge for this so content won't be available for xbox users. :(

Just my guess. Maybe MS will release it's grip a little on content control and have this available.

#8 Posted by Gerhabio (1977 posts) -

Can't wait to play crazy user-created content.

#9 Posted by Rhete (19 posts) -

I've played a lot of custom maps since the game came out, but it's a minor pain having to download and run each one individually, so this update will be quite welcome.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

This would make me buy the hell out of the game, but my laptop can't run it. Also, I already own the 360 version, and I've played both sides of it.

#11 Posted by lion640 (19 posts) -

Has it been confirmed that this is PC only or is this coming to consoles?

#12 Posted by NeedleLies (14 posts) -

@lion640 said:

I second that comment. I really hope this comes to the consoles.

#13 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Dude, yes!

#14 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I love PC's! Oh and Portal 2!

#15 Edited by JeanLuc (3591 posts) -

I've messed around with making Portal maps with Hammer but it was just to complicated so this sounds perfect!

#16 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

I'm always interested in a in-game editor! Hopefully they'll work to simplify the tools in hammer, and create some broad-brush features which help players place lighting and create rooms without cracks.

#17 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -

I hope this is for consoles too... but I have a feeling it won't be.

#18 Edited by Redbullet685 (6054 posts) -

@NeedleLies said:

@lion640 said:

I second that comment. I really hope this comes to the consoles.

This. If not, at least they should do the same thing as Super Meat Boy, where they take some of the best user created levels and release them for consoles.

#20 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

DO you think the PS3/Steam integration will make this a smoother transition onto Sony's platform? I cant imagine Microsoft will be up for allowing level sharing to be passed around and downloaded... especially not for free.

#21 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

Portal 2 meets Littlebigplanet? Yes please.

#22 Posted by hobnobgb (10 posts) -

I read that Valve have got one of the guys behind Google Sketchup working on this. If you've never used sketchup, it's probably the easiest-to-use 3D modelling tool ever made, so it bodes well for the level editor.

#23 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

The more Portal the better, is all I have to say :)

#24 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

infinite portal

#25 Posted by AtomicTonic (9 posts) -

I bet Valve is shooting for multi-platform release, but whether it will stay that way will come to crunch time. At this rate we may get this as our "Summer DLC" in 2012.

#26 Posted by Tryptophan (162 posts) -

lol

this is Valve

If it says next year in the headline

do yourself a favor, forget about it for five years.

#27 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

PC only?

#28 Posted by Agent47 (1901 posts) -

@Jayross:Like it matters by a year most will forget about it and it probably will take even longer than a year.Seems odd to release something so late for a game like Portal.

#29 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

I hope this is coming to consoles. Maybe take advantage of the PS3 Steam integration by making maps crossplatform.

#30 Posted by gogobomb (63 posts) -

i hope this comes out for the 360 version

#31 Posted by FormulaDeuce (239 posts) -

Yeah... Cause everyone wants to make maps where you get to spray white goo all over the walls and floor... (sigh)

I really like how they've made the editor look like the promotional videos they've used throughout the series. It's easy to look at and fits well as building blocks.

#32 Posted by Cirdain (3100 posts) -

Bullshit is that what the editor looks like.

#33 Posted by scorpio_gamer (4 posts) -

Wow, waiting for it :D

#34 Edited by Axel_IX (73 posts) -

BRILLIANT!

#35 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Neat!

#36 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (494 posts) -

Space, wanna go to space, space, space on trial, GUILTY of not being in space, space, SPAAAACE!!!

#37 Posted by Jeaz (60 posts) -
@Cheesimus
I assume this is for pc only, but wouldn't it be nice if console owners could share in the user created levels, maybe a best of pack or something?
Ye, I'd say the consoles are gonna miss out on this, tools like this works best with a mouse and keyboard on your PC or Mac, but you never know. Hopefully it'll at least be an update do the consoles so they can access the created content.
#38 Posted by Jeaz (60 posts) -

I must say I really hope this pans out well. Portal 2s co-op mode was probably the most fun multiplayer experience I've had in years. Laughed so hard I was crying on numerous occasions.

#39 Posted by conanpowerftw (6 posts) -

The fact that the creator is going to be just like the overview perspective used in some of the game´s trailers, makes me so happy. Rad stuff!

#40 Posted by risko (1 posts) -

How come is this unexpected though? Valve is known for supporting user generated content so it makes perfect sense. The editor does looks more accessible than the source development kit though, hopefully this will bring about a whole bunch of new, creative levels to toy around with.

#41 Posted by Hangnail (194 posts) -

I hope Valve at least decides to implement this for the PS3 version, it would be awesome if your creations got carried over both Steam and PSN...!

#42 Posted by Kaidorin (34 posts) -

That is pretty sexy.

#43 Posted by Gregomasta (1541 posts) -

A friend and I were discussing this exact thing while we were playing the DLC levels. He was saying "Portal 2 should have a level creator that's easy to use, like the track mania 2 track creator." Valve knows how to deliver on what their fans want.

#44 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

As pretty as those editor screens are, it looks incredibly impractical as a competent editing tool.

#45 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (762 posts) -

Yes ! this is awesome, endless solo levels.... I can't say I am a fan of the co op ones....

#46 Posted by GottaBelieve (17 posts) -

What do you mean 'unexpected'? This seems like a totally logical progression for this type of game.

#47 Edited by RoyaleWifCheese (558 posts) -

@gogobomb: It probably won't. Knowing Valve, this sounds like something to be solely utilized through Steam on the PC and possibly PS3. Though, I could be wrong.

#48 Posted by Three0neFive (2297 posts) -

This is pretty brilliant - tile-based editor for a game with a predominately tile-based aesthetic.

#49 Posted by EXCellR8 (97 posts) -

ughhhhhhh where is gordon freeman!?

#50 Posted by MeatSim (10898 posts) -

Sure I will spent some time messing around in a map editor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.