Portal 2, lead in to Episode 3?

#1 Posted by Chris2KLee (2331 posts) -

So Episode 3 is still little more than a comment from Valve, but seeing how it left off, could we see these games come together near the end of Portal 2? We know that Gordan is probably heading for the Aperture Science ship Borealis to try and destroy whatever is inside. It could be entirely possible that as you run around in Portal 2, you also slowly head towards the ship, maybe popping up inside the thing just as Gordan and Alyx kick down the front door. The franchises do have very different tones, but Valve has done a really good job building the fiction of Portal and working it into Half Life 2. Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

i dont think they are going to intertwine the stories. it just doesnt seem probable 

#3 Posted by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

Nah. Portal 2 is meant to be set a couple of hundred years after the first anyway, plus it's not established at what time the first Portal took place. Kleiner mentions Aperture Science at the end of Episode 2, but that's all there is to go on. It's neat that it's linked, but I doubt Portal 2 will be key in Valve's vision of Half Life

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

I certainly hope not. I hope Valve never makes another Half-Live game again, hopefully they keep making Portal and Left 4 Dead until we've all moved on. That series wasn't all that anyway.

#5 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I certainly hope not. I hope Valve never makes another Half-Live game again, hopefully they keep making Portal and Left 4 Dead until we've all moved on. That series wasn't all that anyway. "
uuuuum.... blasphemy? 
#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10567 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" I certainly hope not. I hope Valve never makes another Half-Live game again, hopefully they keep making Portal and Left 4 Dead until we've all moved on. That series wasn't all that anyway. "
BLASPHEMY!!  

I kid, but I know that I've been waiting a long time for more Half-Life, and I'm starting to get fed up with it. 
#7 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
"I certainly hope not. I hope Valve never makes another Half-Live game again, hopefully they keep making Portal and Left 4 Dead until we've all moved on. That series wasn't all that anyway. "

No that would just piss so many people off, including me. Not continuing the Half-Life series would be like if Bungie never made Halo 3 and just let the Halo series die.
#8 Posted by Icemael (6312 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
And I, for one, hope Valve stop making Portal and Left 4 Dead and get back on making Half-Life.
#9 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

Portal 2 is set hundreds of years after Portal so no, I really don't think Portal 2 and the next Half-Life will be directly linked. However some of the old concept art for Episode 3 has depicted the Borealis; I think there may be at least a little cross-over between Half-Life's narrative and the Portal backstory and it would be cool to see that kind of thing but I doubt Valve are going to go too far with it. Then again Valve can be a bit... Unpredictable.

#10 Posted by GogDog (41 posts) -

As long as I get both games I'll be happy.

#11 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

No that's going to happen in Half Life 3, release date 2020.

#12 Posted by Rayeth (1023 posts) -

Everyone needs to just Get over HL:2 Ep3.  It isn't happening anytime soon.  Gabe Newell is just trolling us all by continually not announcing it.

In fact, this might just be the biggest scientific study on gaming blue balls in the universe.

#13 Posted by Danbo (191 posts) -

It's a cool idea, but I seriously doubt they'd want to make to make a Portal game integral to the Half-life plot.

#14 Posted by comrademcpherson (44 posts) -

No way. Episode 3 doesn't exist, as far as I'm concerned. Tying Portal 2 and HL together would just continue to remind gamers how angry they are at Valve for not releasing Episode 3.

#15 Posted by FlamingHobo (4479 posts) -

There will be no Episode 3. 
Only Half Life 3. 

That's my theory anyway.

#16 Posted by Diabloshadow (263 posts) -
@Gamer_152: Can someone please show me where they actually said *hundreds* of years? I thought it was actually gonna end up eerily similar to Half Life in that, there is an incident, you fix (kinda) said incident, you get transported to the future being the same age (time travel and clones aside). And while I don't think it will lead into HL3 persay, I do think it will have references to the HL universe like the first one, and have interesting tidbits to make us think about until HL3 comes out on *DATE REMOVED DUE TO MASSIVE GAMING
BLUE BALLS*.

@Rayeth: Dude, exactly what I was thinking. Its a fucking experiment. WE ARE ALL IN A GIANT FUCKING APERTURE SCIENCE LAB. EARTH
#17 Edited by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -
@Tarsier: You kiddin'? I like Portal way more than Half-Life. I haven't played through all of Half-Life, but I've seen it played, and I'll tell ya, I like Portal more. Half-Life is great, sure, but everyone doesn't have that same boner for it.
#18 Posted by afrofools (1319 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @TooWalrus said:
And I, for one, hope Valve stop making Portal and Left 4 Dead and get back on making Half-Life. "
Or they could make Half Life + Team Fortress + Portal & forget about Left 4 Dead... 
People probably expect HL to come with multiplayer nowadays since every game has multiplayer, and that would put a lot of extra development pressure on Valve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.