Portal 2 Pushed Back Into 2011

• 116 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Don't expect to play Portal 2 this holiday. Valve has announced that the follow-up won't be released in November 2010 as planned. The studio is now expecting the title to hit at some point in 2011.

No actual reason for the delay was cited, but continuing with a tradition that kicked off a week ago, the witty release explains that Valve and Aperture Science are blaming "safety concerns" as the cause. 

Yes, please.
The release also notes that the "surprise" planned for E3 (this isn't it either) has nothing to do with an extra Left 4 Dead 2 episode, Half-Life: Episode 3, Source Engine 42, or Portal 3. It will be "PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE," says Valve. Real talk. 

== TEASER ==I don't like publishing press releases, but like last time, this is just too good not to share. Note the comment about the original Portal winning four trillion rewards despite not making its original release date.   

Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, [ED. REDACT]   
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Don't expect to play Portal 2 this holiday. Valve has announced that the follow-up won't be released in November 2010 as planned. The studio is now expecting the title to hit at some point in 2011.

No actual reason for the delay was cited, but continuing with a tradition that kicked off a week ago, the witty release explains that Valve and Aperture Science are blaming "safety concerns" as the cause. 

Yes, please.
The release also notes that the "surprise" planned for E3 (this isn't it either) has nothing to do with an extra Left 4 Dead 2 episode, Half-Life: Episode 3, Source Engine 42, or Portal 3. It will be "PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE," says Valve. Real talk. 

== TEASER ==I don't like publishing press releases, but like last time, this is just too good not to share. Note the comment about the original Portal winning four trillion rewards despite not making its original release date.   

Aperture Science, doing business as Aperture Laboratories LLC, in partnership with Valve today announced the successful completion of an ethics-review-panel-supervised release date restructuring process. Portal 2, the sequel to the ground-breaking title that earned over 30 Game of the Year awards despite missing its original ship date, is now targeted for a 2011 release.

Representatives from both companies acknowledged that public safety concerns factored into the decision. They went on to say that even though Portal 2 will arrive slightly later than planned, all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light, which is what would happen should a rip ever appear in the fabric of Valve Time.

"Also, the game will be even better," they added, missing an historic opportunity to create the first product delay press release to mention that a product is being delayed to make it worse.

To ask questions about how close we all came to dying, or to ask futile questions about the previously announced E3 ***PORTAL-2-THEMED-FOR-GOD'S SAKE*** surprise or, less futilely, to schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's delegate to the EU's Valve Time Studies Group, [ED. REDACT]   
#2 Edited by Guyzea (816 posts) -

I am outraged.

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Frickin "When it's ready" syndrome.

#4 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

Fucking shit.  I really want to know why they can't release their games on time.  Yes they are amazing, and one could say worth the wait, but I don't know other comapnies that do this.  Id, yeah, their games dont live up to the hype though.  Bethesda, BioWare, Infinity Ward(woops) and lots of others that have put out games that blew people away do it on time for the most part.  Why does Valve fuck around like this?  Reminds me of that asshole that thinks his driving game is the best in the world even though its not out yet.
#5 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

I can't be mad at this because of the press release. dissappointed, but still

#6 Posted by AndrooD2 (224 posts) -

Wow, Valve's never delayed anything before.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -
@TheHBK said:
" Fucking shit.  I really want to know why they can't release their games on time.  Yes they are amazing, and one could say worth the wait, but I don't know other comapnies that do this.  Id, yeah, their games dont live up to the hype though.  Bethesda, BioWare, Infinity Ward(woops) and lots of others that have put out games that blew people away do it on time for the most part.  Why does Valve fuck around like this?  Reminds me of that asshole that thinks his driving game is the best in the world even though its not out yet. "
blizzard motherfucker
#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5155 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

#9 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Hahaha... I'm glad I don't like Valve and I don't care about their games...

#10 Posted by DeathByWaffle (655 posts) -

Okay with me.

#11 Posted by griefersstolemykeyboard (359 posts) -

Valve is perfecting, I for one would want to wait a couple of months more for a better game. 
And for the people mentioning Bethesda and Bioware and shit please remember that their games are bugged out their ass, yes they are good but they are rushed so fucking bad.

Quality plz

#12 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" Hahaha... I'm glad I don't like Valve and I don't care about their games... "
It's your loss for having shitty taste.
#13 Posted by EdIsCool (1122 posts) -

cue storm of nerd rage. I am delighted that I know how game development works, I know how hard it is and hence any delay is understandable.

#14 Posted by Jacob816 (137 posts) -

Another amazing press release.

PS Brad, I heard you complain on the Electric Hydra that GB commentators hate you. Just wanted to say that I am not one of them. Its nice to have someone to write up stuff that the main GB crew doesn't have time for.

#15 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Of course it is, considering it's Valve, I hope alot of people didn't expect it this year

Just reminds me of how Valve failed the concept of episodic content with Episode 3

Whatever, I can wait, but they better be freaking awesome

#16 Posted by JoeyRavn (4984 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

" Frickin "When it's ready" syndrome. "

Black Mesa, anyone? I was really, really, really looking forward for a Christmas 2010 release :(
  @phrosnite said: 
 I don't get it. You don't like the games, and yet you took the time to laugh and explicitly say that you don't care about these games? 
#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Episode 3. I'm just going to keep saying Episode 3 on every article about Valve until the game has finally shipped.

#18 Posted by UncleBenny (480 posts) -

Frankly, we should be outraged when Valve releases something on time. If they ever release something within the majority's expectation (timely releases, half life 2 ep 3, LFD2 DLC within this year, portal 2 not being awesome, engineer update for TF2) my brain will explode in shock.

#19 Posted by Winternet (8059 posts) -

Well, this is fine by me. Portal 2 is not the most eager anticipated game ever. Now, Half-Life 2: Episode 3 NOW!

#20 Edited by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

A Valve game isn't coming out when originally planned? What is the world coming to? 

But ya, I am disappoint. Portal 2 should be incredible.  

@phrosnite said: 

Care to elaborate and actually qualify your statement? 
#21 Posted by iRevive (18 posts) -

haha bitches, just live with it. You gotta wait for a good game

#22 Posted by gbrading (2139 posts) -

Well, at least they are laughing about it. I'm not laughing though personally, even though that press release is hilarious.
#23 Posted by Soap (3645 posts) -

I'd love to pretend I was suprised, but this is Valve we are talking about, the same company that thinks episodic gaming can be spread across 6 years.

#24 Posted by dancinginfernal (479 posts) -
Portal 2: The Delay 
    Gabe's Fat Joke Vengeance.
#25 Posted by Capum15 (5002 posts) -

Oh my god, the "Missing an opportunity to say we're taking more time to make it worse" thing got me. Hilarious.

#26 Posted by Brake (1132 posts) -

Valve time initiated!

#27 Posted by LincoIn (255 posts) -

Valve Game.

#28 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Every press release should have a Ghostbusters reference in it.

#29 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -

alright here it is.. 

it's gonna be orange box 2 with HL3, Portal 2, TF3, CS2 and L4D3 & 4
#30 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

FINISH EPISODE 3 YOU BLASTED NINCOMPOOPS.

#31 Posted by ITSSEXYTIME (236 posts) -

Why are people taking these press releases as serious news?

It's obviously just a marketing ploy to get people talking about the game.  Do you think Portal 2 isn't going to be at E3 because they "canceled the event"? Fuck no.  They just want people paying extra special attention to them and it's fucking working.

This press release seems to be making fun of the idea of Valve always delaying their games rather than an actual delay announcement.  (Particularly the reference to Valve Time)

#32 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@FakePlasticTree said:

" A Valve game isn't coming out when originally planned? What is the world coming to? 

But ya, I am disappoint. Portal 2 should be incredible.  

@phrosnite

said: 

Care to elaborate and actually qualify your statement?  "
I don't want to write a wall of text so I'll just say this... Portal was great, I admit, but that's just because it was not really their game. Also the main lady (can't remember the name) left Valve and.... oh yeah, in my opinion every  "Valve game" except Portal and the original CS are OVERRATED!
#33 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

Wow, Valve taking extra long to finish a game ... who would have thunk it. 

Can't be angry at games developers that actually treat their customers with respect - not just churning out "product" to meet earnings forecasts. Sure they take their sweet time, but the games are always so distinctive and full of character. Good things come to he who waits and all that.
#34 Posted by Cybexx (1231 posts) -

Surprise! I don't recall Portal 2 being a 2010 game anyways, also Valve totally confirms that the real surprise is not another game announcement like I said last week. I still hold the surprise just being Portal 2 shown at another companies press conference, probably Microsoft, just like Left 4 Dead 2 which opened MS's Press Conference last year.

#35 Posted by Oni (2114 posts) -

Anyone actually surprised by this? I am not.

Also I think Episode 3 might be morphing into full-on Half-Life 3 at this point. It's taking them about as long to make as other studios spend on two or three games.

#36 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -

I don't suspect we'll see Portal 2 until 2020.

#37 Posted by MythDarK (558 posts) -

Great games takes great time in the making. Get used to it and stop complaining already.

#38 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -

I love Valve but I never bought into the whole Portal thing, probably because of the cake jokes. That shit gets old fast.

#39 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

If a delay means an even better game, I'll wait forever... well, until 2011 anyway.

#40 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

The ''Valve Time'' mention in press release. Epic winnrar.

#41 Posted by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

Did anyone ever actually expect it to come out in November 2010? I mean, this is valve we're talking about.

#42 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -
@phrosnite said:
" I don't want to write a wall of text so I'll just say this... Portal was great, I admit, but that's just because it was not really their game. Also the main lady (can't remember the name) left Valve and.... oh yeah, in my opinion every  "Valve game" except Portal and the original CS are OVERRATED! "
For one, how was it not their game?  It may have started as a project Kim Swift and her team came up with, but they hired her and gave her all their resources to flesh out the concept, including Eric Wolpaw and his awesome writing that made Portal.  That's as stupid as saying that Super Mario Galaxy 2 isn't a real Mario because Miyamoto wasn't directly involved in it. 

And for two, it's such a shame that you have awful taste in games.
#43 Posted by enterthewumpus (49 posts) -

The delay does not make me the saddest.  The confirmation that we won't see anything Half-Life related does.

#44 Posted by Brenderous (1103 posts) -

Maybe it's all part of an elaborate publicity stunt.

#45 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Here's the surprise announcement: 

"Portal 2 to launch as an episodic game. We'll release the game in four total sections in order to get the game into the hands of the consumer as quickly as possible. That reminds me, wasn't there another project we had going on like that at one point? Alas, couldn't have been important. Hey! Perhaps we'll release Left 4 Dead 3 next year! You guys would love that, right?

Seriously, stop making other games, just finish Episode. 3. Dear lord, I love Portal, TF2, L4D etc. as much as the next guy, but you know what I love more? Motherfucking Half-Life. That's what. Silly VALVe having loads of successful franchises to focus on. 

#46 Posted by Jace (1096 posts) -

I'm sorry, but the last full half life game came out in 2004. two thousand, motherfucking, four. four you assholes. four. Since then, we have gotten  2 ~4 hour episodes, which combined are still shorted than hl2, and we got portal. To rub the shit stain in harder, we got l4d, AND THEN ANOTHER ONE 1 year later. one year you fuckers. How about its time to stop pussy footing around with all this other shit that we dont give a fuck about and make the next real fucking halflife. Why would i care though? I'll be dead by then anyway. Oh and while you're at it valve, fucking trash source. It was great for 6 years, but put that shit down. Goddamnit valve.

#47 Posted by cikame (1076 posts) -

oh..... grr.

#48 Posted by Some1StoleMyTortilla (39 posts) -

goddamit valve! I cant stay mad at you

#49 Posted by dudeglove (8308 posts) -
@enterthewumpus said:
" The delay does not make me the saddest.  The confirmation that we won't see anything Half-Life related does. "
There's still hope... Valve likes screwing around with everyone anyway.
#50 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -
@Jace said:
" I'm sorry, but the last full half life game came out in 2004. two thousand, motherfucking, four. four you assholes. four. Since then, we have gotten  2 ~4 hour episodes, which combined are still shorted than hl2, and we got portal. To rub the shit stain in harder, we got l4d, AND THEN ANOTHER ONE 1 year later. one year you fuckers. How about its time to stop pussy footing around with all this other shit that we dont give a fuck about and make the next real fucking halflife. Why would i care though? I'll be dead by then anyway. Oh and while you're at it valve, fucking trash source. It was great for 6 years, but put that shit down. Goddamnit valve. "
I'M ANGRY. ANGRY ABOUT VIDEO GAMES

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.