Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Portal 2 Soundtrack: Link and Thoughts

jmsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By jmsy

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

Valve has released a good part of Portal 2’s soundtrack for free. It’s at the link above. There are also ringtones. I think they’re more useful as a preview for the uninitiated, but then again, I’m a default ringtone kind of guy.

To me, one of the most memorable aspects of Portal 2 was how its music always seemed in lockstep with the game’s pacing and art direction, and especially with its detailed, otherworldly sound design, but taken on its own this is still a wonderfully textured, playful, varied score, for the most part matching the urgency of an action film with skittering beats and glitchy, buzzing synth. Some sections are disarmingly sparse and downtempo, while others veer toward the ambient, sounding more like they were produced within the world of the game by a lonely AI. Robots making music is arguably a part of Portal 2 already, so it’s fitting that the conceit is embraced by the MP3s at the link, which are attributed to the Aperture Science Psychoacoustics Laboratory. Listening to this score, it’s easy to imagine the psychoacoustic lab’s sentient mainframe monitoring your performance as it samples Aperture’s industrial sounds, breaking its silence only to issue iterative loops calculated to slow you down, drive you forward, or impede puzzle-solving. This isn’t part of the game, but it’s to the credit of this soundtrack and Valve’s world-building that it could be.

jmsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jmsy

http://www.thinkwithportals.com/music.php

Valve has released a good part of Portal 2’s soundtrack for free. It’s at the link above. There are also ringtones. I think they’re more useful as a preview for the uninitiated, but then again, I’m a default ringtone kind of guy.

To me, one of the most memorable aspects of Portal 2 was how its music always seemed in lockstep with the game’s pacing and art direction, and especially with its detailed, otherworldly sound design, but taken on its own this is still a wonderfully textured, playful, varied score, for the most part matching the urgency of an action film with skittering beats and glitchy, buzzing synth. Some sections are disarmingly sparse and downtempo, while others veer toward the ambient, sounding more like they were produced within the world of the game by a lonely AI. Robots making music is arguably a part of Portal 2 already, so it’s fitting that the conceit is embraced by the MP3s at the link, which are attributed to the Aperture Science Psychoacoustics Laboratory. Listening to this score, it’s easy to imagine the psychoacoustic lab’s sentient mainframe monitoring your performance as it samples Aperture’s industrial sounds, breaking its silence only to issue iterative loops calculated to slow you down, drive you forward, or impede puzzle-solving. This isn’t part of the game, but it’s to the credit of this soundtrack and Valve’s world-building that it could be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.