Portal 2 with a 64-bit machine; problems?

#1 Posted by subr00t (5 posts) -

Hi. I'm new here so go easy on me if this is the wrong category to post this thread, and for any unusual English as this is not my first language. But I didn't know where else to turn, so I turned to the people I know will help me; the lovely people of the Giantbomb-community!

Resently I have had som problems with my machine (speccs posted below). Played Dead Space on quite high settings and it would run fine for like 2-3 hours or so, and then it would crash, and I would have to kill the process. Now some days ago I wanted to pick back up Dragon Age: Origins seeing as how I had played like 50% of the game on one characted and then kinda had left it there. So I reinstalled it from Steam and started a new character. Since I had played it the first time I had upgraded my graphics card and installed windows 7 on my machine so the game was able to run at the highest of settings. The so called high-settings or übersettings as some people say in shady corners of the internet (it is true). Anyway. This went fine until like 2 hours or so into the game, not really sure on the time here, I think I had just gotten to Ostagar when it happened. Total freeze. I was only stearing into a black screen, the sound went into a loop for some seconds, and then the sound degenerated into just a buzzing sound. No control and the dangerous yes trustworthy saviour of my situation was the tried and true hard reboot. After this it continued to occur. I will play for on avrage approximately half an hour or so, and then it will freeze. The normal destribution of the time it takes it to freeze seems to be very wide, that is to say, the freeze happens at very random time-intervals of gameplay. I have searched the internet for a solution to this problem, but my searching and debugging has been in wain. Tried reinstall, tried to run on one core, tried to change to low settings, update all drivers, tried everything. So I have bitterly given up. The only result of this catastrophy being me now whining about it to you.

After this horrendous experience I am now cautioned to buy new games for my PC. I find myself more willing to pay for games for the xbox, since there I am, more so, garantied that the games work. I find this very sad as I enjoy good graphics, and because microsoft has in all their wisdom decided to give us a motion controller in stead of a new system with upgraded hardware, a PC is the system you would want to play at for that. So I come to my question to anyone who has followed my words this long. Have any of you had any problems consering freezing or other problems on the PC platform? Can I safly assume that Valve, unlike BioWare, have taken the time to clean up the code sufficiently so that a PC player on a windows 7 64-bit system can enjoy this, after what I hear, fantastic game just as much as one  who might have bought it for the PS3 of the 360? And do not give me that "well, stupid, didn't you see their website? They say they are gonna put it out for PC, Mac, 360 and PS3" crap. Because Dragon Age also came out on the PC! What I am asking is if there have been any known problems with this game specifically concerning the 64-bit windows dual core system, and what the general consensus is on how this game runs on the pc platform. Is it laggy? Does it have a lot of problems? Is the graphics nice? Those kind of things.

TL;DR
Do Portal 2 have any known problems running on my specs (64-bit windows 7, dual core)?

Specs

CPU Intel Cure 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
#2 Posted by Animasta (14635 posts) -

nothing to do with 64 bit as that's what I have and it ran fine.

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" nothing to do with 64 bit as that's what I have and it ran fine. "
ran more than fine!
#4 Posted by EuanDewar (4688 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" nothing to do with 64 bit as that's what I have and it ran fine. "
#5 Posted by Azteck (7450 posts) -

Ran perfectly on my Win7 64bit rig.

#6 Posted by Zimbo (875 posts) -

I have Windows 7 64bit and had no problems whatsoever running Portal 2 on the highest settings. Not sure about how it runs on Dual core systems but I'm 99% sure its fine.

#7 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -
@Zimbo said:
 Not sure about how it runs on Dual core systems but I'm 99% sure its fine. "
I ran it wonderfully on an older AMD dual core. I had no problems, although the room with Glados at the beginning gave me a little slowdown, it ran at a solid 60fps all maxed out through the rest of the game.
#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Drivers.

#9 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

Very similar to my specs, but my graphics card is older. I haven't had any problems.

#10 Posted by subr00t (5 posts) -

Thanks for all your replies. That is very kind. You seem to all agree that it will run fine. Thank you. You have strengthened my trust in my pc and as a result I will now go buy this f'n awesome game! :D

#11 Posted by reddin (417 posts) -
@subr00t: 
Valve have optimized the shit out of the Source engine as far as I can tell, because my aging computer can run it smooth as silk on high settings and there are no known issues as far as I know.
However, reading your problems it seems like there is definitely something wrong with your PC. Could be a heat problem or failing hardware, maybe a driver issue.

#12 Posted by Cows_R_Crunk (35 posts) -

At this point, a developer making a new game would have to be very stupid to not support 64-bit computers, so I wouldn't worry about that particular problem. You are correct that occasionally we must deal with some issues that console players do not. However, I believe it is a small price to pay for all the benefits you get with playing on a PC. I understand that some people just want to sit on the couch, relax, and play their game, and that's fine, but I haven't had many problems with my computer games. I've been able to play every recent game with no problems. The issues come up when trying to play old games. Maybe it's because I keep my PC clean and organized, but you seem to be having more issues than I would expect.

#13 Edited by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -

i5-750 OC @ 3.6GHz | Gigabyte P55A-UD3 | XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB | 4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 | Antec 300 Mid tower | Win7 x64
Essentially the same thing - played Portal 2 start to end, no problems at all.

#14 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@reddin said:
" @subr00t: 
Valve have optimized the shit out of the Source engine as far as I can tell, because my aging computer can run it smooth as silk on high settings and there are no known issues as far as I know.
However, reading your problems it seems like there is definitely something wrong with your PC. Could be a heat problem or failing hardware, maybe a driver issue.

"
Source isn't more optimized than anything else, it's just that most of the graphics are quite rudimentary. That's not of too much consequence however since it fits with Valve's minimalist style. 
#15 Posted by subr00t (5 posts) -
@reddin:
You sir, just saved my pc gaming experience! I had not considered that the problems could possibly be rooted in the hardware. Your comment made me reconsider the notion that the game was faulty and thus I ran some stability tests on the video card. Sure enough, the pc crashed just as it does in DA. I am now happy in my knowledge that it must be the new video card I bought some time ago that is causing the problems. I could switch to my previous card for now, but my hypothesis is that under load, the video card is not given enough power through my power adapter. I have already crossed out that it could be an overheating problem as was my first thought. I crashed it deliberetly by running futuremarks 3dmark06 while running everest to monitor the temperatures, and I could see a sleight increase in temperature from the normal of 47 (degrees celsius (thats right I'm using metric units, get used to it)) until it stabilized on 62, which is comforably lower than 70, the standard load temperature for these cards.

I will probably have to change to a more powerful power outlet, but for now, the quick fix for me will be to swap to my older though functional video card. Next I think I will have to go through all the component in my pc and see how much power each of them draw, and then compare with to potental of my power outlet. If anyone know of how you can check this easily I sure would appreciate it.

And yes. If anything I would think that the Source engine would be compatibal with my 64-bit setup. Those Valve guys sure know how to code.
#16 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

Along with checking the hardware, I would also reinstall Windows if you haven't done so for 9 months+. After that amount of time drivers can start misbehaving and crashing the system.

#17 Edited by vogon (95 posts) -

@subr00t:

I'd go a bit farther than others and pin the issue directly on a heat issue, particularly as I just replaced my old GeForce 8800 GTX with a GeForce GTS 450 and saw a persistent lockup-with-sound-loop -- oddly enough, particularly evident in BioWare games -- disappear. 

Near as I can tell, the root cause was that the cooling on my graphics card had gotten progressively less effective over time, causing it to overheat and lock up my computer.

I'd buy a can of compressed air, remove your video card, and blast all the dust out.  See if it helps, even a little bit.

#18 Posted by subr00t (5 posts) -

If anyone is reading this and had similar issues, this is how I solved it!

There was indeed a power issue as I had previously hypothesized. So if you have this problem, you shold definatly check your power outlet. What I did was that I removed the video card carefully from the motherboard and observed that the power cable it was connected to was also connected to several other component including some fans and the harddrive. After I had used a vakuum cleaner to clean up inside (always a nice thing to do) I connected a previously unused cable to the video card and inserted it back between all the wires.
This seems to have fixed the problem. After I booted the box up again I played several hours (which I should really have used to practise for my exams, but what the heck) of Sanctum, and when that didn't crash I ran a 3Dmark06 benchmark and for the first time it completed. (got a score of  12975.0 3DMarks) There is a possibiliy that it was just the cleaning that was the fix, but I would deem it very unlikely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.