Prepare for More Testing in Portal 2 DLC

• 81 results
Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -

After a few hours of testing in Portal 2, I'm usually ready for a break. There's a moment where the puzzles stop making sense, as my brain begs for a break. I've since finished Portal 2 (waiting for PlayStation Network to come back online for some co-op action), but I'm ready for more.

We don't know what kind of downloadable content Valve is planning for Portal 2 (that should change soon), but we do know it's coming this summer, according to a mildly spoilerish Fast Company interview.

"We will be announcing some DLC for it, so folks can keep a look out for more content coming this summer," said Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi. "We'll be putting more details out about that in a week or so. We'll support that with more videos or more comics."

There was some downloadable content released for the original Portal, a collection of additional test chambers created by the fan community. The stages were later bundled together, labeled Still Alive, and released via Xbox Live Arcade. Still Alive did not feature more Portal story, either, just more puzzles. It's unclear whether Valve intends to find a narrative hook for Portal 2's DLC.

(But I hope so.)  
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2212 posts) -

After a few hours of testing in Portal 2, I'm usually ready for a break. There's a moment where the puzzles stop making sense, as my brain begs for a break. I've since finished Portal 2 (waiting for PlayStation Network to come back online for some co-op action), but I'm ready for more.

We don't know what kind of downloadable content Valve is planning for Portal 2 (that should change soon), but we do know it's coming this summer, according to a mildly spoilerish Fast Company interview.

"We will be announcing some DLC for it, so folks can keep a look out for more content coming this summer," said Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi. "We'll be putting more details out about that in a week or so. We'll support that with more videos or more comics."

There was some downloadable content released for the original Portal, a collection of additional test chambers created by the fan community. The stages were later bundled together, labeled Still Alive, and released via Xbox Live Arcade. Still Alive did not feature more Portal story, either, just more puzzles. It's unclear whether Valve intends to find a narrative hook for Portal 2's DLC.

(But I hope so.)  
#2 Posted by Roasted (70 posts) -

always be testing

#3 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

More testing!? yesssssssssssssssss

#4 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I hope it's free.

#5 Posted by NonDragonfly (21 posts) -

I hope it's a free update on the PC

#6 Posted by Mister_Snig (637 posts) -

Can't wait to play this next January!

#7 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Portal 3 coming out next year then? :)

#8 Posted by Brake (1126 posts) -

I kinda hope it's more single player content since my friends are slacking and haven't bought the game yet.

#10 Posted by MisterMouse (3564 posts) -

Awesome can't wait! I still need to find some one to play through Co-op with on steam though...

#11 Posted by MadLaughter (206 posts) -

I will only play it if there is more Wheatley.

#12 Posted by oysteinBrenne (281 posts) -

i love how gamebomb.ru wrote about this before Gaintbomb

#13 Posted by onlineatron (179 posts) -

Free update on PC + PS3 Steam implementation = Free update on PS3??? 

#14 Posted by Martdawg (44 posts) -

Ah, Science.

#15 Posted by Ulong (447 posts) -

I don't have a portal playing friend to do coop with, so selfishly I'd hope it's singleplayer dlc, but Coop DLC would be theoretically awesome.

#16 Posted by D_W (1197 posts) -

Always be testing!

But yeah. I don't need more story. Just more single player levels. Ton's more! There's so much that can be done with the mechanics already in place.

BUT! Oh man. If they added the rocket turrets, energy pellets, and stuff from the Flash Map Pack into Portal 2. That would be amazing!

#17 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Nice. I hope it's free on Steam. Come on Valve. Keep being the Valve I love.

#18 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

More Portal is good news.

#19 Posted by Wyld (278 posts) -

Never Not Testing
#20 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

When are the user created maps coming to PC?

#21 Posted by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

I'm guessing non story co-op puzzles.

#22 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -

Please Valve. Stop with this Portal nonsense and give us the game WE ALL WANT.

#23 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

More co-op please.

#24 Posted by Eaxis (958 posts) -

I hope it's more difficult. Portal 2 barely scratched the surface to challenge.
#25 Posted by SCOOTMAN (37 posts) -
#26 Posted by MmmSkyscraper (315 posts) -

Delicious want.

#27 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

I WILL TEST 'TIL THE DAY I DIE.

#28 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

It would be hilarious if portal 2 was updated like TF2, and you had to pay for it on psn and xbl.

Any w

#29 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Any word in howch this cost.

I'm on my upone ATM.

#30 Posted by KEITH1437 (276 posts) -

Let me check the Valve time chart for "This Summer"

August at the earliest.

#31 Posted by eezo (286 posts) -
@demontium:  are you serious?
#32 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

I just kind of assumed this game is planning go crazy with the DLC.

#33 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1768 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" Any word in howch this cost. I'm on my upone ATM. "
I valve stays true to their philosophy (and I hope so) the DLC will be free, they are using the item shop to pay for it. Well ... it will probably be free on PS3 and PC, not so sure about xbox.
#34 Posted by ThePilgrums (433 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Please Valve. Stop with this Portal nonsense and give us the game WE ALL WANT. "
Yeah, stop releasing other polished, popular games with compelling stories and gameplay that sell well! Give me only the game I WANT!!

Can't wait. Loved Still Alive. Portal 2 was amazing and I hope they release a ton of DLC for it.
#35 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1768 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:
" It would be hilarious if portal 2 was updated like TF2, and you had to pay for it on psn and xbl. Any w "
Im not so sure about xbl ... but im pretty sure whatever they put out will be free on PSN. Unless they pull a 180 and start to charge for additional content .
#36 Posted by Poki3 (529 posts) -

I wonder if it'll be free. All other Valve DLC (on the PC) was free. But lately with all those fucking hats I'm starting to doubt free DLC... I hope I'm wrong.

#37 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1768 posts) -
@Poki3 said:
" I wonder if it'll be free. All other Valve DLC (on the PC) was free. But lately with all those fucking hats I'm starting to doubt free DLC... I hope I'm wrong. "
The "fucking" hats are what pays for the free content they put out. And tbh, I'd rather have it this way instead of having to pay 15 Bucks for a couple of maps.
#38 Posted by Soviut (164 posts) -

Yes please!  I beat the co-op 4 hours after launch and the single player in 6 hours in one sitting.  I need more tests!

#39 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -

I really hope they announce DLC for the 360 version... They always seems to not even bother with the 360 stuff until a lot later =(

If thats the case then ill just have to get portal 2 in the inevitable steam sale i guess xD
#40 Posted by Protonguy (306 posts) -

Awesome game. If you're in Vancouver i saw Portal 2 for PC is on sale at NCIX for 39 in this weeks newsletter: 
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60724&vpn=PORTALPC&manufacture=Valve&promoid=1097
(Apologies if we aren't meant to post external links to online shops)

#41 Posted by Soviut (164 posts) -
@2HeadedNinja said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" It would be hilarious if portal 2 was updated like TF2, and you had to pay for it on psn and xbl. Any w "
Im not so sure about xbl ... but im pretty sure whatever they put out will be free on PSN. Unless they pull a 180 and start to charge for additional content . "
If it means getting a large amount of quality content, I'd gladly pay.  Especially if it extends the story at all.  Maps are one thing, but taking time to carefully craft new fiction in an existing universe is not something you can pull off in a weekend for free.
#42 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

More pay-only animations.
JUST WHAT I WANTED

#43 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -
@xyzygy:  Day of Defeat 2?
#44 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

You know what this is? This is a triumph.

#45 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -
@ThePilgrums said:
" @xyzygy said:
" Please Valve. Stop with this Portal nonsense and give us the game WE ALL WANT. "
Yeah, stop releasing other polished, popular games with compelling stories and gameplay that sell well! Give me only the game I WANT!!

Can't wait. Loved Still Alive. Portal 2 was amazing and I hope they release a ton of DLC for it.
"
Portal is a good series. But saying that it's more in demand than Half Life is a bit much. I would gladly take a brand new Half Life adventure than play with more portals.
#46 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

The co-op was sooo good. Want more of that, please.

#47 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -
@Poki3 said:
" I wonder if it'll be free. All other Valve DLC (on the PC) was free. But lately with all those fucking hats I'm starting to doubt free DLC... I hope I'm wrong. "
they sell aesthetic stuff only on the pc. any game changes or additional content from them has always been free.
#48 Posted by Wes (258 posts) -
@xyzygy: He didn't
#49 Posted by emem (1974 posts) -
#50 Posted by xyzygy (10077 posts) -
@Wes: I know he didn't directly say it. But it's kind of what is implied by him saying that they should continue making Portal and holding off on the Half Life.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.