Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

'So, Here's Something Pretentious!' - Anecdotes and Thoughts from Erik Wolpaw's Portal 2 Discussion at the NYU Game Center

• 96 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    Erik Wolpaw doesn't read too much science fiction these days, so trying to find a modern sci-fi influence on Portal 2, the game he wrote alongside fellow Valve staffers Chet Faliszek and Jay Pinkerton, might prove difficult. In his past, he never worked in any depressingly bureaucratic jobs that might explain away the incredibly overwhelming banality that is so ingrained in the ethos of the game's zealously inept mega-corporation, Aperture Science. He doesn't really seem to think that Portal 2 necessarily transcends any known boundaries of gaming narrative--just that it tells the kind of story he wanted a game to tell.

Erik Wolpaw
    Erik Wolpaw
    Over the course of his two-hour talk last night at New York University's Game Center, Wolpaw evaded just about every attempt by the talk's host, Game Center's Interim Director Frank Lantz, to perhaps pigeonhole his influences into tight, neat little references--apart from an acknowledged enjoyment of the works of Douglas Adams and Robert Sheckley--and seemed thoroughly uncomfortable with the notion of trying to dissect his game beyond the notion of it being an enjoyable entertainment. "Ultimately, I don't want to make games that are like modern art," he said at one point, "That only people who have studied modern art their whole lives, it only has meaning to them. Ideally, I'd like to make games that are entertaining for people."

Instead, much of the talk took on the tone of a kind of alternate commentary track for the game, with Wolpaw--who actually took time out of his vacation to give this talk to a room full of fans, NYU students, and the odd interloping journalist--quipping about various trials and tribulations of the game's production process, musing on his method for writing for games, and even dropping a few gems about some stuff that didn't quite make it into the final product. While there are a few mild spoilers peppered throughout this article, nothing is specific enough to inhibit any of the game's significant surprises.

On the Subject of Portals, and Why There Almost Weren't Any

It's been mentioned before around various corners of the Internet that Portal 2 almost didn't have any portals at all. Originally, the team spent the first six months of development time working on a clandestine new mechanic called "F-Stop." Wolpaw wouldn't elaborate on what F-Stop entailed (as he believes they may still use it someday down the road), but stated that early playtesting led to the removal of F-Stop and the return of the portal gun. Too many people were wondering what happened to GLaDOS, and why they couldn't shoot portals. "People didn't want a clean slate," said Wolpaw.
    == TEASER ==

On the Story That Almost Was

With the development of F-Stop also came a fairly different script from what the final game ultimately turned out to be. "It took place in the 1950s," he said, "GLaDOS wasn't in it, Chell wasn't in it, it was Cave Johnson and the story of him getting put into a computer and realizing he was making a huge mistake." However, once the F-Stop mechanic was shelved, the story was rewritten to benefit the return of the portal mechanic. "After that we decided we were going to do this farther in the future, bring Chell back, and have everything be decrepit in a way that lets you see the results of what you did in Portal 1."

On the Game's Hotel Room Introduction

One of my absolute favorite portions of Portal 2 is actually its hysterical--and, apparently, fairly complicated--introductory scene. The scene features Chell waking up from a semi-lengthy slumber to a sort of " Jack Wagner in Disneyland" kind of computer voice and finding herself in a miserable-looking hotel room. Wolpaw says that this intro was actually born out of a bigger, kookier idea.

The faux-hotel room, pre-destruction.
    "We were going to do this thing where we were going to try and visualize what it was actually like to be in suspended animation," he said, "Like it's actually this real-time simulation of you pacing back and forth in this shitty hotel room. It was just going to be the worst thing ever." Evidently, the transition between the perceived hotel environment and the real world just wasn't quite working, so someone simply said, "Why don't we make it an actual hotel room?"

At that point, the host of the evening piped up that it reminded him of the intro to the movie Oldboy, which Wolpaw confessed to having never seen. "Oh good," he added jokingly, "I hope this is just going to be a long series of 'Where I plagiarized from.'"

On British Comedians (Namely, Stephen Merchant)

Stephen Merchant's performance as Wheatley in Portal 2 is something pretty special. Maybe it's a little weird that his voice lacks the kind of vocoding effects so prominent in GLaDOS's persona, but in retrospect, altering his distinctive voice might have spoiled the top-notch comedic timing and seemingly improvised riffing that made Merchant's work so memorable.

Merchant's character,
    Merchant's character, "Wheatley"
    As it happens, Merchant wasn't the first actor the team went after. Wolpaw had originally envisioned Wheatley as a slightly "more hectoring and annoying" character, and for that personality, he hoped to tap Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and The IT Crowd actor Richard Ayoade. IT Crowd creator Graham Linehan actually happened to be a fairly big Left 4 Dead fan, and had even sent the team letters in the past. So Wolpaw just asked if "his friend Richard" would want to be in their game. Regrettably, he was unavailable, due to his work on the Sundance darling indie comedy, Submarine, which he directed. Wolpaw assumes Ayoade doesn't regret the decision too heavily.

Wolpaw became familiar with Merchant through the BBC series Extras, and the actor became a factor during the game's writing process. "We'd been writing writing writing, and we'd been listening to this Stephen Merchant podcast. And, for lack of a voice, we kinda started writing in Stephen Merchant's voice."

Though the team didn't originally think he'd do it--they assumed he was probably "too rich," what with him owning 50% of The Office and its many different iterations--Merchant quickly signed on. Wolpaw was nothing if not effervescent about his work on the game. "He has this just awesome ability make things that are written down sound off-the-cuff," Wolpaw said, "I'm really really happy with the way this turned out, in the sense that it's a very natural-sounding performance, and it's just something that I hadn't seen a lot in games."

On Writing Dialogue for Games and Necessary Programming Experience

The subject of the Valve writing team's process came up at multiple points during the course of the night. Apart from an off-handed comment on their writer's room format being loosely based on a book that detailed the environment crafted by The Simpsons writers during the show's heyday, as well as something Wolpaw saw in a Deadwood DVD extra about that show's writing process, mostly Wolpaw spoke about how knowing a little bit of coding can only do any aspiring game writer some good.

He specifically mentioned that early on in the development process, he and co-writer Chet Faliszek would actually do all of the dialogue set-up work themselves. "Chet and I did this on Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress and I also did it on Psychonauts, which is we write all the dialogue, we record it, we cut it ourselves and we wire it into the game so that the timing's right." This process, he says, helps immensely with making sure the lines have the exact impact they hope for.

On Chell, and Her Utter Lack of Dialogue

Chell has always been of the silent protagonist ilk, which Wolpaw admits is often "a thing," but not exclusively "a Valve thing." When asked why Chell remains mute throughout both titles, Wolpaw cited it as being in service of the game's comedy.

The silent protagonist.
    The silent protagonist.
    "There's this thing with comedy, there's sort of two different patterns. One is, you're the straight man in a world gone mad, and the other one is you're a crazy person in a sort of straight world. Portal is definitely the world gone mad straight man, and the straight man is you. And again, because you have to write in the margins in a game, time is at a premium, so the fact that there's already this established thing where you have a silent protagonist, that saves us a lot of time. You may want to know Chell's backstory, you may want to hear her say things, but I guarantee, if she had to say her straight man lines at the expense of half of the other dialogue, it would suck."

While that might be of little solace to those who still want a little more out of Chell's character, Wolpaw feels the game is far more about your relationship to the world than Chell's. "I don't think people are super invested in the character of Chell... obviously because we haven't given her much character. But they're invested in the relationship they have as the player."

Just in case you were wondering, though, Chell isn't really a mute. "We always assumed she could talk," said Wolpaw, "She just chooses not to, what with the robots all being dicks. Why give them the satisfaction?"

On GLaDOS, and Her Torrents of Insults

One audience question brought up GLaDOS and her at least passing resemblance to someone's verbally abusive mother. Wolpaw more or less confessed that some of GLaDOS's particular brand of chiding does come from a personal place. "I was a fat kid my whole life and I had this passive-aggressive grandmother who was always needling me about it. That's kind of where that came from."
        So many fat jokes...
    So many fat jokes...

Originally, though, GLaDOS was apparently written to be a good bit meaner than she ended up being in the final product. "We definitely took some stuff out that was hated [by playtesters]. We got a lot of feedback on the initial GlaDOS arc, after you wake her up, that she was just too vicious and mean and people were kind of getting ground down by how awful she was being to you. Even Ellen [McLain] in the studio, she was kind of nervous about reading some of the stuff. She was just like, 'Wow, that's harsh.'"

Sadly, Wolpaw wouldn't bust out with any specific lines, so we'll just have to imagine what horrible things she might have potentially hurled at us. I personally envision something involving lady beards.

On Playtesting, and Non-Gamers' Need to Read

Valve has always taken a "playtest early, and playtest often" stance with its products. As Wolpaw put it, doing so prevented people from getting too ridiculously attached to any one specific idea. If something keeps failing over and over again right in front of you, that idea becomes fairly difficult to defend without displaying a great deal of personal hubris.

People actually read this stuff?
    One of the more interesting anecdotes that came out of the playtest process came largely from people who self-identified as not being much into games. Specifically, they would often take long, pained looks at each of the large signs that precedes each of the game's testing chambers, looking for instruction on how to play the level. This would be in direct contrast to how those who did play games on a regular basis would often just go straight to work. In Wolpaw's opinion, "People who play games have this intuitive sense that the designer is going to make it so you don't have to read this sign. That they'll leave the breadcrumb trail in there and I can ignore the sign as anything but flavor text."

On Jokes That Didn't Make the Cut

When asked about any especially memorable material that perhaps didn't find its way into the final game, Wolpaw did come up with one nifty little gem. You may recall some of the spheres that appear at the game's conclusion, including the ridiculous Fact Sphere and Rick the Adventure Sphere (who Wolpaw says can actually affect a slightly different outcome in the game's finale, provided you sit through Rick's entire dialogue spiel), and originally there was another one. The " Morgan Freeman Sphere."

Like this, but spherical.
    Recalling Freeman's character in The Shawshank Redemption, Wolpaw grinned as he described the bizarre concept. "There was this Morgan Freeman sphere, you find him in this little 10x10 room, and he was the wisest guy about this 10x10 space. He doesn't know anything about anything, he's blown away by the shit that's five feet outside his space, but has a lot of advice that all kind of relates to things that were in the 10x10 space."

"So he was gonna be pretty good," he added somberly. "I guess we can't use him now."

On Portal 2 as an Adventure Game

Throughout the evening, the host often attempted to chip away at Wolpaw's barrier toward pretension and over-self-analysis, often to no avail. But during one, brief moment, Wolpaw was willing to let his guard down and make a comparative statement regarding Portal 2's relevance to a bygone genre and how it could help make it better.

The future of adventure gaming?
    "So here's something pretentious!" he exclaimed, launching into a good-natured tirade on old school adventure games. "There are things I do like about adventure games. I used to play them, I liked the writing, they tend to be very funny, but the puzzles were never very good, and there was a huge disconnect… just mechanically I was never a huge fan. I used to like to tell [Tim] Schafer that all the time when I was working there [at Double Fine Productions], about all the crappy games he made."

In Wolpaw's mind, "Portal is kind of an adventure game! You're not shooting people in the face, it requires some thinking--but the puzzles are very logical--and it's got a storyline through it." And as for anyone currently thinking about delving into the adventure genre? "I think if you were looking to make adventure games, and you wanted to reach a bigger audience, [you could do] something along this line."

On Crafting an Ending that Allows for a Future

All too often these days we find ourselves inadvertently trapped within proposed trilogies that may or may not actually ever be seen through to their conclusion. Cliffhanger endings are just too-frequently the norm. This is something Wolpaw wanted to avoid with Portal 2's conclusion, which he feels is "satisfying," were the story not to pick up again in a future sequel.

Were the series to pick back up, however, he feels there are "enough questions" leftover to create a solid starting point. And as for Chell's role in any possible sequel? Wolpaw seemed reluctant to again put her through the kind of torment she's endured over the last couple of games. "She's been through a lot," he said, "Let her have her day."
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex
    Erik Wolpaw doesn't read too much science fiction these days, so trying to find a modern sci-fi influence on Portal 2, the game he wrote alongside fellow Valve staffers Chet Faliszek and Jay Pinkerton, might prove difficult. In his past, he never worked in any depressingly bureaucratic jobs that might explain away the incredibly overwhelming banality that is so ingrained in the ethos of the game's zealously inept mega-corporation, Aperture Science. He doesn't really seem to think that Portal 2 necessarily transcends any known boundaries of gaming narrative--just that it tells the kind of story he wanted a game to tell.

Erik Wolpaw
    Erik Wolpaw
    Over the course of his two-hour talk last night at New York University's Game Center, Wolpaw evaded just about every attempt by the talk's host, Game Center's Interim Director Frank Lantz, to perhaps pigeonhole his influences into tight, neat little references--apart from an acknowledged enjoyment of the works of Douglas Adams and Robert Sheckley--and seemed thoroughly uncomfortable with the notion of trying to dissect his game beyond the notion of it being an enjoyable entertainment. "Ultimately, I don't want to make games that are like modern art," he said at one point, "That only people who have studied modern art their whole lives, it only has meaning to them. Ideally, I'd like to make games that are entertaining for people."

Instead, much of the talk took on the tone of a kind of alternate commentary track for the game, with Wolpaw--who actually took time out of his vacation to give this talk to a room full of fans, NYU students, and the odd interloping journalist--quipping about various trials and tribulations of the game's production process, musing on his method for writing for games, and even dropping a few gems about some stuff that didn't quite make it into the final product. While there are a few mild spoilers peppered throughout this article, nothing is specific enough to inhibit any of the game's significant surprises.

On the Subject of Portals, and Why There Almost Weren't Any

It's been mentioned before around various corners of the Internet that Portal 2 almost didn't have any portals at all. Originally, the team spent the first six months of development time working on a clandestine new mechanic called "F-Stop." Wolpaw wouldn't elaborate on what F-Stop entailed (as he believes they may still use it someday down the road), but stated that early playtesting led to the removal of F-Stop and the return of the portal gun. Too many people were wondering what happened to GLaDOS, and why they couldn't shoot portals. "People didn't want a clean slate," said Wolpaw.
    == TEASER ==

On the Story That Almost Was

With the development of F-Stop also came a fairly different script from what the final game ultimately turned out to be. "It took place in the 1950s," he said, "GLaDOS wasn't in it, Chell wasn't in it, it was Cave Johnson and the story of him getting put into a computer and realizing he was making a huge mistake." However, once the F-Stop mechanic was shelved, the story was rewritten to benefit the return of the portal mechanic. "After that we decided we were going to do this farther in the future, bring Chell back, and have everything be decrepit in a way that lets you see the results of what you did in Portal 1."

On the Game's Hotel Room Introduction

One of my absolute favorite portions of Portal 2 is actually its hysterical--and, apparently, fairly complicated--introductory scene. The scene features Chell waking up from a semi-lengthy slumber to a sort of " Jack Wagner in Disneyland" kind of computer voice and finding herself in a miserable-looking hotel room. Wolpaw says that this intro was actually born out of a bigger, kookier idea.

"We were going to do this thing where we were going to try and visualize what it was actually like to be in suspended animation," he said, "Like it's actually this real-time simulation of you pacing back and forth in this shitty hotel room. It was just going to be the worst thing ever." Evidently, the transition between the perceived hotel environment and the real world just wasn't quite working, so someone simply said, "Why don't we make it an actual hotel room?"

At that point, the host of the evening piped up that it reminded him of the intro to the movie Oldboy, which Wolpaw confessed to having never seen. "Oh good," he added jokingly, "I hope this is just going to be a long series of 'Where I plagiarized from.'"

On British Comedians (Namely, Stephen Merchant)

Stephen Merchant's performance as Wheatley in Portal 2 is something pretty special. Maybe it's a little weird that his voice lacks the kind of vocoding effects so prominent in GLaDOS's persona, but in retrospect, altering his distinctive voice might have spoiled the top-notch comedic timing and seemingly improvised riffing that made Merchant's work so memorable.

Merchant's character,
    Merchant's character, "Wheatley"
    As it happens, Merchant wasn't the first actor the team went after. Wolpaw had originally envisioned Wheatley as a slightly "more hectoring and annoying" character, and for that personality, he hoped to tap Garth Marenghi's Darkplace and The IT Crowd actor Richard Ayoade. IT Crowd creator Graham Linehan actually happened to be a fairly big Left 4 Dead fan, and had even sent the team letters in the past. So Wolpaw just asked if "his friend Richard" would want to be in their game. Regrettably, he was unavailable, due to his work on the Sundance darling indie comedy, Submarine, which he directed. Wolpaw assumes Ayoade doesn't regret the decision too heavily.

Wolpaw became familiar with Merchant through the BBC series Extras, and the actor became a factor during the game's writing process. "We'd been writing writing writing, and we'd been listening to this Stephen Merchant podcast. And, for lack of a voice, we kinda started writing in Stephen Merchant's voice."

Though the team didn't originally think he'd do it--they assumed he was probably "too rich," what with him owning 50% of The Office and its many different iterations--Merchant quickly signed on. Wolpaw was nothing if not effervescent about his work on the game. "He has this just awesome ability make things that are written down sound off-the-cuff," Wolpaw said, "I'm really really happy with the way this turned out, in the sense that it's a very natural-sounding performance, and it's just something that I hadn't seen a lot in games."

On Writing Dialogue for Games and Necessary Programming Experience

The subject of the Valve writing team's process came up at multiple points during the course of the night. Apart from an off-handed comment on their writer's room format being loosely based on a book that detailed the environment crafted by The Simpsons writers during the show's heyday, as well as something Wolpaw saw in a Deadwood DVD extra about that show's writing process, mostly Wolpaw spoke about how knowing a little bit of coding can only do any aspiring game writer some good.

He specifically mentioned that early on in the development process, he and co-writer Chet Faliszek would actually do all of the dialogue set-up work themselves. "Chet and I did this on Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress and I also did it on Psychonauts, which is we write all the dialogue, we record it, we cut it ourselves and we wire it into the game so that the timing's right." This process, he says, helps immensely with making sure the lines have the exact impact they hope for.

On Chell, and Her Utter Lack of Dialogue

Chell has always been of the silent protagonist ilk, which Wolpaw admits is often "a thing," but not exclusively "a Valve thing." When asked why Chell remains mute throughout both titles, Wolpaw cited it as being in service of the game's comedy.

The silent protagonist.
    The silent protagonist.
    "There's this thing with comedy, there's sort of two different patterns. One is, you're the straight man in a world gone mad, and the other one is you're a crazy person in a sort of straight world. Portal is definitely the world gone mad straight man, and the straight man is you. And again, because you have to write in the margins in a game, time is at a premium, so the fact that there's already this established thing where you have a silent protagonist, that saves us a lot of time. You may want to know Chell's backstory, you may want to hear her say things, but I guarantee, if she had to say her straight man lines at the expense of half of the other dialogue, it would suck."

While that might be of little solace to those who still want a little more out of Chell's character, Wolpaw feels the game is far more about your relationship to the world than Chell's. "I don't think people are super invested in the character of Chell... obviously because we haven't given her much character. But they're invested in the relationship they have as the player."

Just in case you were wondering, though, Chell isn't really a mute. "We always assumed she could talk," said Wolpaw, "She just chooses not to, what with the robots all being dicks. Why give them the satisfaction?"

On GLaDOS, and Her Torrents of Insults

One audience question brought up GLaDOS and her at least passing resemblance to someone's verbally abusive mother. Wolpaw more or less confessed that some of GLaDOS's particular brand of chiding does come from a personal place. "I was a fat kid my whole life and I had this passive-aggressive grandmother who was always needling me about it. That's kind of where that came from."
        So many fat jokes...
    So many fat jokes...

Originally, though, GLaDOS was apparently written to be a good bit meaner than she ended up being in the final product. "We definitely took some stuff out that was hated [by playtesters]. We got a lot of feedback on the initial GlaDOS arc, after you wake her up, that she was just too vicious and mean and people were kind of getting ground down by how awful she was being to you. Even Ellen [McLain] in the studio, she was kind of nervous about reading some of the stuff. She was just like, 'Wow, that's harsh.'"

Sadly, Wolpaw wouldn't bust out with any specific lines, so we'll just have to imagine what horrible things she might have potentially hurled at us. I personally envision something involving lady beards.

On Playtesting, and Non-Gamers' Need to Read

Valve has always taken a "playtest early, and playtest often" stance with its products. As Wolpaw put it, doing so prevented people from getting too ridiculously attached to any one specific idea. If something keeps failing over and over again right in front of you, that idea becomes fairly difficult to defend without displaying a great deal of personal hubris.

One of the more interesting anecdotes that came out of the playtest process came largely from people who self-identified as not being much into games. Specifically, they would often take long, pained looks at each of the large signs that precedes each of the game's testing chambers, looking for instruction on how to play the level. This would be in direct contrast to how those who did play games on a regular basis would often just go straight to work. In Wolpaw's opinion, "People who play games have this intuitive sense that the designer is going to make it so you don't have to read this sign. That they'll leave the breadcrumb trail in there and I can ignore the sign as anything but flavor text."

On Jokes That Didn't Make the Cut

When asked about any especially memorable material that perhaps didn't find its way into the final game, Wolpaw did come up with one nifty little gem. You may recall some of the spheres that appear at the game's conclusion, including the ridiculous Fact Sphere and Rick the Adventure Sphere (who Wolpaw says can actually affect a slightly different outcome in the game's finale, provided you sit through Rick's entire dialogue spiel), and originally there was another one. The " Morgan Freeman Sphere."

Recalling Freeman's character in The Shawshank Redemption, Wolpaw grinned as he described the bizarre concept. "There was this Morgan Freeman sphere, you find him in this little 10x10 room, and he was the wisest guy about this 10x10 space. He doesn't know anything about anything, he's blown away by the shit that's five feet outside his space, but has a lot of advice that all kind of relates to things that were in the 10x10 space."

"So he was gonna be pretty good," he added somberly. "I guess we can't use him now."

On Portal 2 as an Adventure Game

Throughout the evening, the host often attempted to chip away at Wolpaw's barrier toward pretension and over-self-analysis, often to no avail. But during one, brief moment, Wolpaw was willing to let his guard down and make a comparative statement regarding Portal 2's relevance to a bygone genre and how it could help make it better.

"So here's something pretentious!" he exclaimed, launching into a good-natured tirade on old school adventure games. "There are things I do like about adventure games. I used to play them, I liked the writing, they tend to be very funny, but the puzzles were never very good, and there was a huge disconnect… just mechanically I was never a huge fan. I used to like to tell [Tim] Schafer that all the time when I was working there [at Double Fine Productions], about all the crappy games he made."

In Wolpaw's mind, "Portal is kind of an adventure game! You're not shooting people in the face, it requires some thinking--but the puzzles are very logical--and it's got a storyline through it." And as for anyone currently thinking about delving into the adventure genre? "I think if you were looking to make adventure games, and you wanted to reach a bigger audience, [you could do] something along this line."

On Crafting an Ending that Allows for a Future

All too often these days we find ourselves inadvertently trapped within proposed trilogies that may or may not actually ever be seen through to their conclusion. Cliffhanger endings are just too-frequently the norm. This is something Wolpaw wanted to avoid with Portal 2's conclusion, which he feels is "satisfying," were the story not to pick up again in a future sequel.

Were the series to pick back up, however, he feels there are "enough questions" leftover to create a solid starting point. And as for Chell's role in any possible sequel? Wolpaw seemed reluctant to again put her through the kind of torment she's endured over the last couple of games. "She's been through a lot," he said, "Let her have her day."
    Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Wacomole

Let me tell you a story... of Science

edit: Jeepers, that quest only took me a solid year to attain.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Cybexx

Wish it was on my side of the continent.

embryo69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By embryo69

bollox

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By KingOfIceland

I'm too scared of reading it, since I still haven't played the game (thanks Amazon!).

crevisjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By crevisjr

Good article...cheers Alex!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Brilliant read here. Really glad we've got more of these articles that refer to the insight of the developers, instead of cold, stale news about some new announced game or whatever, over and over.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By DonPixel

David Cage need to take notes. 

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By FesteringNeon

Thanks for the meaty read Navarro

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aishan

Fantastic read, Alex.

Ghnvt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ghnvt3

Great stuff Alex.  Would to have loved to hear him speak.  Thanks for being awesome.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo

Great article, Alex!

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By williamhenry

Great read. Loved the last line. Thats exactly how I feel about any possible sequels. Chell's been through hell, twice, let her have her peace.

DonkeyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DonkeyKong

wow great article!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Good stuff.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SSully

Great read. I am loving these long ass news stories

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By craigbo180

Couldn't have picked a better time to finish portal. So basically the ending of this game sets up the game they were originally thinking of making portal 2.

TheMartino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMartino

Good read! Some of this is actually in the developer commentary track of the game. Specifically the bit about the hotel room and how Glados was a LOT more mean in earlier builds.

If you all liked reading this, I highly recommend dev commentary in portal 1/2.

p_p_o_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By p_p_o_d

the Morgan Freeman Sphere sounded pretty awesome

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wrighteous86

Fascinating article. Patrick and Alex have been consistently knocking it out of the park the past few weeks. Just think, actual journalism (or close to it)!

InsanePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InsanePenguin
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Milkman

Everything I've heard or read about this game since I completed it has just made me love it even more. 

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mumrik

I think I would have preferred the original concept for two. That sounded fresh and interesting, the exact opposite of what I'm getting from Portal 2 so far.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By ESREVER

That was a great read! Fantastic writeup, Alex.

A lot of interesting bits of info. I like this Wolpaw guy. He seems pretty talented, and rightfully so.
    Portal 2 was beyond amazing. Everything was perfect.
    walterbennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By walterbennet
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Brilliant read here. Really glad we've got more of these articles that refer to the insight of the developers, instead of cold, stale news about some new announced game or whatever, over and over. "
    I agree, but this is really the fault of the publishers who govern the developers, and don't let them share their insights too candidly with the general public. Their feelings and insight might get in the way of the business guys' marketing strategy for the game. I've heard this repeated a dozen times by games journalists.
    TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By TonicBH

Fantastic write-up. It really shows how Valve really is one of the most awesome developers out there.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By megalowho

Awesome article. Love getting some insight from Erik, Valve is lucky to have him. Smart and funny guy that has great ideas about game design. 

Though I can only go by the tone of this piece I really don't like the psychoanalyzing interview style much either. Full of leading questions, suggesting potential influences, and just putting a bit too much focus on the interviewer's knowledge and opinions. Terry Gross does this a lot for NPR, and it can be grating. Sounds like that's what Frank Lantz was going for and Erik didn't really want to play that game. Good on him, I say.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Cornman89

Really great article, Alex.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By laserbolts
    Awesome read Alex. The Morgan Freeman sphere sounds pretty damn awesome too bad it didn't make it in. Still an amazing game though GOTY so far IMO.
    hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#30  Edited By hagridore

Great article, Alex. Wish I'd been there!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By leebmx

Great piece. Please let this be the sort of news GB is filled with. It hasn't happened at all yet but I am slightly worried that with extra focus on news (and the hiring of Patrick, who, to be fair has been great so far) that GB might start to slip towards the awful Kotaku style of empty articles about forthcoming demos or awkwardly linking real events to gaming. 

Maybe i'm just worrying unduly, but this is about the only professional site about gaming worth visiting so I feel a little precious about it. Please steer clear of PR guff and only post news when there is some to post.  - However more well written, informative stuff like this article is very welcome. 
    Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Siphillis
    @Cybexx said:
    " Wish it was on my side of the continent. "
    I got an email stating that an archived recording will appear on the NYC Game Center site late in the month.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Great article, so good I read the whole thing even with my extremely limited attention span. I'm glad they are not thinking about ruining Portal 2's ending with their next game.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Gav47

Good stuff, Alex's move is already paying dividends. 

Erotolepsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Erotolepsy

Sounds like an awesome event -- even though, as a Seattlite, I'm still kinda skeeved that they went all the way to the other side of the country for this. Hoping something similar will pop up on the West Coast.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scooper

Loved the article, Alex. Thanks.

Scodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Scodiac

Wow. That was a really good read. Interesting stuff. Nice one, Mr. Navarro.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By onan

God, I wanted to go to this thing SO BADLY, but my RSVP got turned down. Can't wait to watch the video (the email from the NYU Game Center staffer said they'd make it available at some point).
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DG991

Alternative ending? I want to see this. 

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ectoplasma

long post is loooong!

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Pop

that was a pretty sweet read, I wonder what those really mean lines would of said.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vorbis

Great write up, sounds like Valve really listen to their playtesters and it really paid off.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By finstern

Probably the best article I've read on Giant Bomb and probably most other video games websites, well done duders!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Slaker117

Damn it Erik, fix your glasses.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By I_smell

Great! Loved that

Geekcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#46  Edited By Geekcore

Thanks for this. I really enjoyed it.  

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47  Edited By xpgamer7

Alex feels back in the game industry. My life is complete.

jon93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jon93

Amazing read, thanks for the write up Alex!

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Alex is a great writer. Really enjoyed this article. Also really curious now to see what the hell F-Stop is.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MisterMouse

good article, this is an even that definitely would have been fun to go to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.