Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Thinking With Portals

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Edited By danielkempster

Those of you who've followed me for a while probably know that when I'm not playing video games or pretending to study, I work part-time as a cleaner for my University's Students' Union. Yesterday morning, I was cleaning up the aftermath of a particularly messy night in the Union's underground nightclub. While scrubbing the floors in the toilets, I cast my bored eyes over the walls. These walls are tiled from ceiling to floor, and divided into three equal sections - the top third is covered in white tiles, the middle third in a white-and-grey checkered pattern, and the bottom third is tiled a greyish purple. Gazing absent-mindedly at these familiar patterns, I was overcome by a strange sense of deja-vu, and unbeknownst to my fellow work colleagues, I found myself thinking -

I wonder if I could put a portal there.

No Caption Provided
    That's probably the most concrete example I can give of how Portal 2 has ingrained itself in my mind over the last ten days. It's very rare that I take the experience of playing a game away from the comfort of my couch. But since I ordered my copy as a self-reward for finishing off all my University assignments, it's spent a lot of time at the forefront of my mind. The blurry line between the Aperture Science Enrichment Centre and a nightclub toilet is an appropriate physical manifestation of the dominance that the game has had over my thoughts. The hilarious script, the brilliant voice acting, the mind-bending gameplay that piles sub-mechanic upon sub-mechanic to construct some of the most memorable puzzling I've ever done... Everything is about as close to perfect as you could hope for. Portal 2 expands on the greatness of its predecessor in every single way, not only delivering on my expectations, but totally shattering them in the process.

Ellen McLain delivers another stellar performance as test-a-holic A.I. GLaDOS
    Right now, everybody is voicing their opinions of the game, and as a consequence I feel under pressure to write something that isn't just a mindless regurgitation of the things everybody else has already said ten times better than I ever could. That pressure is heightened by the fact that perhaps for the first time in almost three years of blogging, I'm writing about a recent release that is very much still in the spotlight. So instead of talking about all that already-known stuff, like how great Stephen Merchant is as the bumbling Wheatley, or how the hard light surfaces, excursion funnels and various gels make for some seriously complex and rewarding puzzle-solving, I'm going to focus on another incident that sums up my love for the game. Don't worry, this one doesn't involve toilets. Promise.

Prior to the release of Portal 2, I spent a lot of time talking about it with my game-playing friends. One of those friends falls into that rather dubious group that refer to themselves as 'hardcore gamers', but in actual fact play very little except for Call of Duty's online multiplayer and the latest instalments of select sports franchises. When I shared the promotional trailers for Portal 2 with him, he couldn't have been more dismissive:

" It doesn't seem that great. All you're doing is just going through portals. "

No Caption Provided

On the surface, my moronic friend is right. Portal 2 essentially boils down to a series of isolated rooms, each one a variation on "place one portal, place the other portal, reach the exit". But to look at the game in this way is to completely miss the point in a way that makes trivialising look... well, trivial. The best bit of the game isn't reaching that exit, but the journey that takes you to the exit - just like the best bit of a driving sim is the battle for first place, or the most satisfying moment in a team-based shooter is to formulate a strategy and then see it come together in action. The thrill of Portal 2 is inherent in the way it encourages and rewards exploration and experimentation. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the game's brilliant co-op campaign, which I'm currently in the process of playing with my non-gaming but ever-patient girlfriend. We approach every test chamber with fresh-faced inquisitiveness, seeking out portal-able surfaces and working out how to manipulate the sub-mechanics to our advantage through good old-fashioned trial-and-error.

Without a doubt, my favourite thing about Portal 2 is taking point, charging forward with reckless abandon and complete disregard for my robotic hide. As I'm falling into rotary saws, liquid goo, or an endless abyss, I'll spot where my portal needs to go, or realise how I can reach that weighted storage cube. At that point, the witty one-liners fromGLaDOS and the surreal thrill of seeing yourself in your own portal all just become window dressing. Nothing comes close to the immensely rewarding feeling of simply solving a puzzle, and no game comes close to delivering that feeling in the unique way that Portal 2 does. That's why, when the year comes to a close and Game of the Year talks begin, Portal 2 is going to be at the forefront of my mind, in much the same way as it is right now.

Dan

---

Currently playing - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (X360)
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By danielkempster

Those of you who've followed me for a while probably know that when I'm not playing video games or pretending to study, I work part-time as a cleaner for my University's Students' Union. Yesterday morning, I was cleaning up the aftermath of a particularly messy night in the Union's underground nightclub. While scrubbing the floors in the toilets, I cast my bored eyes over the walls. These walls are tiled from ceiling to floor, and divided into three equal sections - the top third is covered in white tiles, the middle third in a white-and-grey checkered pattern, and the bottom third is tiled a greyish purple. Gazing absent-mindedly at these familiar patterns, I was overcome by a strange sense of deja-vu, and unbeknownst to my fellow work colleagues, I found myself thinking -

I wonder if I could put a portal there.

No Caption Provided
    That's probably the most concrete example I can give of how Portal 2 has ingrained itself in my mind over the last ten days. It's very rare that I take the experience of playing a game away from the comfort of my couch. But since I ordered my copy as a self-reward for finishing off all my University assignments, it's spent a lot of time at the forefront of my mind. The blurry line between the Aperture Science Enrichment Centre and a nightclub toilet is an appropriate physical manifestation of the dominance that the game has had over my thoughts. The hilarious script, the brilliant voice acting, the mind-bending gameplay that piles sub-mechanic upon sub-mechanic to construct some of the most memorable puzzling I've ever done... Everything is about as close to perfect as you could hope for. Portal 2 expands on the greatness of its predecessor in every single way, not only delivering on my expectations, but totally shattering them in the process.

Right now, everybody is voicing their opinions of the game, and as a consequence I feel under pressure to write something that isn't just a mindless regurgitation of the things everybody else has already said ten times better than I ever could. That pressure is heightened by the fact that perhaps for the first time in almost three years of blogging, I'm writing about a recent release that is very much still in the spotlight. So instead of talking about all that already-known stuff, like how great Stephen Merchant is as the bumbling Wheatley, or how the hard light surfaces, excursion funnels and various gels make for some seriously complex and rewarding puzzle-solving, I'm going to focus on another incident that sums up my love for the game. Don't worry, this one doesn't involve toilets. Promise.

Prior to the release of Portal 2, I spent a lot of time talking about it with my game-playing friends. One of those friends falls into that rather dubious group that refer to themselves as 'hardcore gamers', but in actual fact play very little except for Call of Duty's online multiplayer and the latest instalments of select sports franchises. When I shared the promotional trailers for Portal 2 with him, he couldn't have been more dismissive:

" It doesn't seem that great. All you're doing is just going through portals. "

No Caption Provided

On the surface, my moronic friend is right. Portal 2 essentially boils down to a series of isolated rooms, each one a variation on "place one portal, place the other portal, reach the exit". But to look at the game in this way is to completely miss the point in a way that makes trivialising look... well, trivial. The best bit of the game isn't reaching that exit, but the journey that takes you to the exit - just like the best bit of a driving sim is the battle for first place, or the most satisfying moment in a team-based shooter is to formulate a strategy and then see it come together in action. The thrill of Portal 2 is inherent in the way it encourages and rewards exploration and experimentation. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the game's brilliant co-op campaign, which I'm currently in the process of playing with my non-gaming but ever-patient girlfriend. We approach every test chamber with fresh-faced inquisitiveness, seeking out portal-able surfaces and working out how to manipulate the sub-mechanics to our advantage through good old-fashioned trial-and-error.

Without a doubt, my favourite thing about Portal 2 is taking point, charging forward with reckless abandon and complete disregard for my robotic hide. As I'm falling into rotary saws, liquid goo, or an endless abyss, I'll spot where my portal needs to go, or realise how I can reach that weighted storage cube. At that point, the witty one-liners fromGLaDOS and the surreal thrill of seeing yourself in your own portal all just become window dressing. Nothing comes close to the immensely rewarding feeling of simply solving a puzzle, and no game comes close to delivering that feeling in the unique way that Portal 2 does. That's why, when the year comes to a close and Game of the Year talks begin, Portal 2 is going to be at the forefront of my mind, in much the same way as it is right now.

Dan

---

Currently playing - Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (X360)
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Oni

I seem to be in the incredibly small minority who thinks Portal 2 starts off pretty weak, after its initial strong opening sequence (say, the first 20 minutes). I tend to get eviscerated whenever I say this to anyone, but I think that GLADOS stuff is totally overplayed in the game. You hear her in every single room, and most of her remarks just weren't that funny to me... yeah you're sarcastic and dry, we get it. Please don't kill me!

HOWEVER! Once I got past chapter 4 I started really enjoying the game a lot more. Unlike GLADOS, I think Wheatley is really funny, and I was SO GLAD to be out of those sterile test chambers. I haven't finished it yet, in chapter 6 at the moment, but it's looking up. Can't help but feel that either all the hype is getting to people's heads and somehow depriving them of oxygen or I'm just being ridiculously contrarian without meaning to be, truly.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By danielkempster
    @Oni: Personally I didn't feel that GLaDOS was overplayed, and I found her to be a lot funnier in Portal 2 than in the original (although having played the first Portal three times now, I think I've put a wall up against most of those gags, especially anything to do with cake). Then again, comedy's a very subjective thing - as they say, nothing is universally funny. I do agree with you that the game picks up after a certain story event, and the last two thirds of the game are a lot stronger than the first few hours. The underground stuff with Cave Johnson, in particular, is amazing. I also think that while GLaDOS is great in Portal 2, Wheatley completely steals the show. Stephen Merchant's bumbling delivery is definitely a contender for the best voice acting I've heard in a video game.

I think if I had to level a single complaint at Portal 2, it's that I found it a bit on the easy side. Again, maybe this is because I've played the first Portal multiple times, but aside from a few specific situations, I never felt like I hit an impasse in Portal 2. A lot of the test chambers are structured very differently to those in the original game - rather than vast amounts of portal-able surfaces, there are generally smaller, much more specifically-placed portal walls, making the experience feel a lot more guided. I realise that's a trade-off for larger, more complex test chambers, but it did limit the experimentation that characterised the first Portal. Thankfully, I feel like the co-op campaign makes up for that.  I also felt like the end-game didn't do enough to combine the various sub-mechanics into some really fiendish and brain-frazzling multi-tiered puzzles. Remember this test chamber from the original Portal? I think my first play-through, this room took me an hour to solve. I didn't feel like any of Portal 2's puzzles successfully combined the hard light surfaces, excursion funnels and gels in any meaningful or challenging way. It's a shame I don't have the PC version, because I'm sure the mod community is going to have a field day throwing all those things together.

I think this comment has managed to successfully turn this blog into exactly what I'd tried to avoid. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of your time with Portal 2, Oni. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the rest of the game once you're done.
    RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By RagingLion

You're not alone, but my Portal-thoughts-merging-into-real-life moment came with the original game.  I very distinctly remember coming out of a lecture and starting to cross my university campus before thinking "Why do I have to walk everywhere?"  "Why can't I just fire a Portal on this near wall and then one all the way over there to get there instantly?"  Or "I wonder what the view looks like from the top of the library?  I could just fire a Portal up there and one next to me and take a look at the view."

I'm not sure I've had such a vivid moment of thoughts coming from playing a game breaking into real life before or since.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danielkempster
    @RagingLion: Thanks for making me feel a little less insane. Oddly enough, my girlfriend also had a game-breaking-into-real-life moment, about two years ago. We were walking across our University campus when a jackdaw landed in front of us. She straight-up freaked out at the sight of this little bird, but wouldn't tell me why at the time. Later on, she told me that she thought she'd seen its blue eyes turn orange - no doubt the influence of Shadow of the Colossus, which I was playing at the time.
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By McGhee

I was playing Driver way back when I first got my driver's license. More than once I got jumpy when I saw a cop and actually sped up to put distance between us. Luckily, I never got a ticket.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.