Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Where do the Portal games cross over with the Half-Life games?

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By quirkwood

To anyone not paying attention to either of the Portal games you might not be aware that Aperture Science Laboratories exists within the same universe as a Black Mesa Research Facility. The question i am asking is: Is this the same universe that the Half-Life games happen in or a different one that also happens to have a Black Mesa?

Does anyone know if there is an official stance from Valve on this?
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

Same universe, the Borealis, the ocean liner which was in the Half life 2 beta before it was scrapped and re appeared in Episode 2 (and is going to be one of the main focal points of Episode 3) is a signifcant part of Portal history. Its apertures main fuck up basically.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's supposed to be the same universe, but there is no real direct crossover. Just a lot of subtle nods to the other franchise.

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By quirkwood
    @Tarsier: I'll tell you what's stupid... YOUR FACE!

...On a side note looks like I need to finish Episode 2

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Cirdain
    http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm
    "Black Mesa's chief competitor for government funding, Aperture Science, also develops its own Portal technology parallel to Black Mesa onboard its many research facilities and enrichment centers, including the Borealis, a research vessel. One day, after what seems to be a severe mishap, the Borealis disappears completely off the face of the Earth, taking all passengers and crew with it..."

"-7 Hour war Ends
    - Breen made Administrator of Earth

- Population centers destroyed

Meanwhile, all scientists have evacuated their facilities at Aperture Science, including their main enrichment center. The events of Portal take place. The 'Aperture Science Hand-Held Portal Device' is inadvertently released into the wild, however, it is not known what becomes of it. "

EDIT: Also there was a small section in Portal 2 where there is a room you don't go in and there is a test chamber. So that could slightly be in Episode 3.
    NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NathanStack
    @Tarsier:  I don't think Cave Johnson jokes around. I don't necessarily believe that time travel will be a part of HL2:E3, but I think Valve wants us to know that Aperture was experimenting with time travel.
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Trebz
    @familyphotoshoot: I'll never understand how a company that's made so many terrible decisions is also beyond the cutting edge of space/time technology.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phish09

Where don't they cross over?

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @Trebz: Meta-joke?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trebz: Easy. They had no ethical qualms and repeatedly threw caution to the wind.
    Don't you think we would be much further along when it came to cloning or gene therapy if we just haphazardly tested on human subjects, no matter how many got killed or mutilated along the way?
    Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Trebz
    @TeflonBilly: That's true, and probably goes ditto for Black Mesa.

Mercury poisoning is a hell of a drug... er, disease. 
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By project343

Finish Half-Life 2: Episode 2, then finish Portal 1, followed by Portal 2. In particular, make sure you acquire the "Ship Overboard" achievement in Portal 2. If you still need some help understanding the prime connections, you can always read up on the Borealis outside of the game.

Agent1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Agent1337

In Portal 1 GLADOS mentions "Black Mesa"

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By crithon

actually, what time does Portal 2 take place in? In Portal 1 Black Mesa is mentioned but is this before or after 7 hour war when the Combine take over?

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
    @Agent1337 said:
    " In Portal 1 GLADOS mentions "Black Mesa" "
    And you pass by a darkened board room that's projecting something or other about Black Mesa being a competitor to Aperture Science.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

And although the story ties exist, the series really should be considered two separate universes.

Valve deliberately set Portal 2 far into the future so as to sever nearly all ties with the Half-Life fiction that aren't purely backstory. It is very unlikely that the two games will ever intersect in a meaningful way.
    FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By FengShuiGod

The ties to Half-Life are really tenuous and exist only to support the Half-Life universe (especially the Borealis stuff). Portal and Half-Life really feel like different universes, at least to me. Portal is more crazy and over the top.

Mastersparx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mastersparx

Portal 2 takes place a few months after Portal, so Chell could escape Aperture around ten years before HL/HL2, during HL/HL2,ten years before or a few years after BLACK MESA INCIDENT...

Half Life 2 takes place 20 years after Half Life, which takes place around 2009- 2012. Portal takes place ten years after GLaD0S kills everyone in Aperture with Neurotoxin, except Doug Rattmann and Chell, who Rattman saves (See Portal 2 Comic: Lab Rat. Portal takes place around 2009-2012 also.)In theory, Portal 2 ends anywhere between HL and HL2, or During HL or HL2. Chell could basically meet up with Gordon Freeman, Alyx Vance, Eli Vance (DEAD after HL2 E2), Isaac Kleiner, Judith Mossman, Wallace Breen (DEAD since HL2 episode 1 or 2), GMAN, Barney Calhoun, anyone in the Half Life games...

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SerHulse

@Mastersparx said:

Portal 2 takes place a few months after Portal...

I believe Portal 2 is set 100 years after Portal.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By valrog

@SerHulse said:

@Mastersparx said:

Where does it say that? As far as I know, no one can tell how much time has passed between the ending of Portal and beginning of Portal 2.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By nightriff

Portal 1 and 2 ARE Half Life 3!!!!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@valrog said:

@SerHulse said:

@Mastersparx said:

Where does it say that? As far as I know, no one can tell how much time has passed between the ending of Portal and beginning of Portal 2.

It never explicitly states the amount of time in-game. It is implied that a long period of time has passed. It was probably done to avoid crossover with the Half Life universe. It is mentioned in the "Final Hours of Portal 2" ebook that at least 50,000 years had passed, but that's probably not canon.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SerHulse

@MattyFTM said:

@valrog said:

@SerHulse said:

@Mastersparx said:

It never explicitly states the amount of time in-game. It is implied that a long period of time has passed. It was probably done to avoid crossover with the Half Life universe. It is mentioned in the "Final Hours of Portal 2" ebook that at least 50,000 years had passed, but that's probably not canon.

I recall one of the developers in the Portal 2 Spoilercast mentioning around 100 years had passed.

Mastersparx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mastersparx

@SerHulse: It does imply ingame that not much time has passed, due to the fact that the earth was perfectly fine where Aperture was, so the whole game might take place even before HL or HL2... I was not really sure about my theory, but I just guessed that maybe since Aperture's exit in the end of Portal2 was in a field in the sun, that the game probably ends around before or the same time of HL2, because there are still fields somewhere on Earth in HL, even though the COMBINE took over...

Mastersparx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mastersparx

@Mastersparx: And, yes it states that it takes place 100 or more years later. The fact that Aperture could not exist for 100+ years and be the same it was in Portal, just repaired like it was in the beginning, means that either GLaD0S was able to completely fix Aperture, or that only a small amount of time has passed, since Life Support was in backup mode, according to the LAB RAT comic, and Rattmann had to turn backup support on before he too, went into one of the pods. The life support would not last that long, mostly because GLaD0S hated Chell for killing her, and would have killed her before she woke up, even thought after Portal2, GLaD0S let her go because she didn't care about it that much anymore. Rattmann and Chell would be dead if it was 100+ years, backup life support was damaged, GLaD0s had the intent to kill Chell and Rattmann anyway, and its just a theory, but those kind of sound like plotholes of a sort. The creators said that is was 100+ years, yet there are signs that maybe they were wrong? (AND THE CAKE CAN BE FOUND IN THE 1ST GAME, AND 2ND, BUT IN THE SECOND IT IS THE SAME CAKE, ROTTING... CAKE DOES NOT LAST 100+ YEARS...)

STILL JUST A THEORY =P

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Sackmanjones

Chell is actually Gordan Freeman from the future after his sex change

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Reading about the Borealis, and seeing videos of the missing content mod, made me wish it had come out with HL2. It looked really cool and original, before Cryostasis came out and satisfied my "horror game on a frozen boat."

And then they bring back the Borealis and it relates to Aperture Science and it'll be in HL3/Episode 3... mind blown

Stephkaye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stephkaye

Portal 1 happens when chell is 13ish, on bring your daughter to work day. The in the beginning of portal 2, you see her stasis room, first scene after recovery of her body, then again, 9999 days later, 27.4 years later you see the same room. 13 plus 27, chell is 40, looking great.. . Even glados tells her she only gets another 60 years, hence humans only live to be about 100.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.