Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Portal 2

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Portal 2 is the sequel to the acclaimed first-person puzzle game, carrying forward its love of mind-bending problems and its reckless disregard for the space-time continuum.

Where do Valve go Next with Portal?

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By raidingkvatch

First I guess I should preface this by saying that I couldn't see how Valve could pull off a sequel to Portal without just reiterating what they'd already done; they made Portal 2, a brilliant game which built upon a cool idea and turned into into a fully realised world.

Anyway, after the events of Portal 2 I really don't see where the franchise goes now. There's no way they can get away Chell being back in Aperture and GLaDOS out for revenge, or even just looking to test. I don't really think another test subject would work either.

There's the Half Life 3 and Portal 3 are gonna be the same game, which certainly sounds interesting, but the tones of the franchises are so different I couldn't see the Portal humour appearing for more than maybe a couple of levels where Gordon ends up in Aperture. There's also the matter of gameplay, the portal gun only supposed to work on moon rock surfaces so again it would only show up at the most as a brief differentiation in gameplay; even if they chose to ignore the fiction of the portals, having the portal gun everywhere would be game breaking.

Anyhoo I have faith in Valve, I just thought it was fun to think about, and see what everyone else thinks. 
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

Well everyone knows about the Borealis easter egg right?  Also This is an interesting comment from the video

think the borealis had some kind of condemned time portal technology. The ship completely vanished from the world for a long time then suddenly appears in the arctic MANY years later. And during one of the tests CJ mentions something about the possibility of seeing yourself during a test due to time travel. I'm thinking gordon will get this tech and go back to the source of the resonance cascade and try to stop himself before pushing the xen crystal into the resonator and gman captures him again

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Play the co-op.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @raidingkvatch said:

Where do Valve go next with Portal ?

to the moon!
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By animateria
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @raidingkvatch said:

to the moon! "
    Space?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Space Core was specifically designed to transform into a aperture science moon base.
    proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By proflate

I don't think Valve has any intention to make a third game of any of their franchises. :P

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    " Well everyone knows about the Borealis easter egg right?  Also This is an interesting comment from the video

think the borealis had some kind of condemned time portal technology. The ship completely vanished from the world for a long time then suddenly appears in the arctic MANY years later. And during one of the tests CJ mentions something about the possibility of seeing yourself during a test due to time travel. I'm thinking gordon will get this tech and go back to the source of the resonance cascade and try to stop himself before pushing the xen crystal into the resonator and gman captures him again

"
    That's a very interesting theory of where and how they can go next. I don't think it'll be something as on-the-nose as tackling past-Gordon with future-Gordon just before he pushes the crystal in or anything like that. But the chance to play around with time seems very cool to me and would be a way to make the Half-Life story come full circle. It would be cool to have Gordon go back to Black Mesa as the HL1 Gordon is on his tram ride because it would give that great sense when you go back to the original game and go "Just behind that door is where you are in HL3". I like it when meaning and significance is given to stuff that seemed unimportant when first going through.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

I can't really see a third Portal, but I can see some of the aspects that went on in it be referenced into a third Half Life game, and maybe Gordon stumbles upon the portal gun. Or maybe Glados is the answer to the Combine, and helps Gordon out (which would be awesome!). I think they need to make it so the characters of both games run into each other, because if not, it would seem one or the other was somewhat pointless.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By imsh_pl

Why is this that after an awesome game comes out there are always people who say "BUT WHAT WILL THEY DO IN THE SEQUEL?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Seriously, some games are better off without sequels.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @LordXavierBritish: Is that relevant? Because I haven't had a chance to play the co-op yet, what with PSN going down before I could validate it on Steam and none of my friends being around to play locally, and I have been wondering if anything else may revealed through the co-op.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Kyreo
    @Ezekeilpurger said:
    " I don't think Valve has any intention to make a third game of any of their franchises. :P "
    Nice one.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raidingkvatch said:
    " @LordXavierBritish: Is that relevant? Because I haven't had a chance to play the co-op yet, what with PSN going down before I could validate it on Steam and none of my friends being around to play locally, and I have been wondering if anything else may revealed through the co-op. "
    I'm not going to spoil anything, but I will say that the ending to co-op definitely leaves room for a sequel.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aetheldod

No this should be the last , we dont want a COD syndrome for portal do we?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Yanngc33

SPACE

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By time allen
    @Ezekeilpurger said:
    " I don't think Valve has any intention to make a third game of any of their franchises. :P "
    there's more than three half life games  -_-
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @Aetheldod: I can't imagine any Valve game developing a CoD syndrome.

@Cabbage_TheMan: I didn't know about the Borealis easter egg, but that's really cool.

So if Aperture's portal tech ends up in whatever the next Half-Life is, do you think that's the limit or do you think some of Portal's humour will see its way into HL too? How would the tones mesh, or is Portal as series done, and just some of its fiction feeds into Half-Life?

@NTM: Why would GLaDOS help Gordon, I could see her more as enemy, I mean she's a homicidal testing machine who deleted her own humanity.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @imsh_pl: It's not so much about wanting a sequel, I'm fine with them leaving it at that. I just find the idea of the fiction and the way it relates to Half-Life interesting, and thought it would be fun to hear some conjecture about how that might work.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Daveyo520

No where I hope. Portal 2 is a great stopping point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @animateria said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @raidingkvatch said:

to the moon! "
    Space? "
    Space.
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    I don't think the Portal Gun would be in Half-Life, but I could see some of the darker portions of the Portal story showing up in Half-Life (Cave Johnson's secret life, etc.).

Also, the writers of Portal 2 had said that they were originally thinking about making a Portal 2 that didn't even have a Portal Gun in it (they were thinking of a new weapon/device codenamed "f-stop").  Based on this information, it may be fair to assume that the next Portal game may not resemble a Portal game at all.  Personally, I don't think Valve could do any wrong.  They really won me over with Portal 2.
    FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By FireSketch

The Portal series is fantastic, why should they stop? Portal 2 wasn't just more test chambers, Valve's history proves they're not just gonna flush out an uninspired sequel every year.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Vexxan

It's Valve, they'll come up with something....hopefully. Can't get enough of them portals.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, no really how many of you have not played the co-op?

The co-op totally sets up Portal 3. No speculation is required.

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @LordXavierBritish: God I hope not.  If anything that sets up the DLC.  There is no way they would base an entire game on that predictable shit.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ProfessorEss

After Portal and Left 4 Dead I'm assuming they'll take us somewhere unexpected and awesome.

...oh, and it'll have co-op.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    Personally, I don't think Valve could do any wrong.  They really won me over with Portal 2.
    I have to agree with that, not that I wasn't already pretty won over, but I was dubious about Portal 2 when it was first announced; no more shall I doubt.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Chell and Gordon team up to find Alyx and save the world! It will be a glooorious co-op! One bring the portals and one bring the crowbar, and not a single word was uttered!

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Contro

Anti-Matter gun introduction    

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raidingkvatch

Maybe it'll be an House of the Dead style light gun game where you have to gun down an army of Mantis-Men

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpacePenguin

Vavle have said in the past that Chell will become an important character in the half life games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raidingkvatch: Portal 3 will not be Half-Life 3; I can't even begin to fathom how that would make any sense. Obviously, there will be ties between Aperature and Black Mesa, but beyond that I can't see how or why they would implement Portal's mechanics in their flagship series.

Portal is done, I'd hope.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.